PDA

View Full Version : Verisign - Allowable characters

andre
28th June 2013, 01:01 PM
Been looking at http://www.verisigninc.com/assets/languagefiles/CHI.html which lists all the Chinese characters allowable when registering a Chinese IDN with Verisign.

I notice that

For the CJK Compatibility Ideographs unicode block only the single character U+FA20 﨨 is allowed
None of the Unicode SIP (Supplementary Ideographic Plane) chinese characters are allowed

Thoughts?

André 小山 Schappo

squirrel
3rd July 2013, 02:28 AM
I think the use of char tables might be deprecated now that IDNA2008 exists (?)

IDNA2008 specifies allowed codepoints while IDNA2003 specifies disallowed codepoints (i.e. everything else is allowed by default in IDNA2003).

Rubber Duck
3rd July 2013, 07:44 AM
I think the use of char tables might be deprecated now that IDNA2008 exists (?)

IDNA2008 specifies allowed codepoints while IDNA2003 specifies disallowed codepoints (i.e. everything else is allowed by default in IDNA2003).

Yes, but those tables have sort of morphed into Variants. The earlier work is the basis for the current work on Variants.

Drewbert
3rd July 2013, 12:00 PM
I think they still have to say what character groups/scripts the TLD will support.

andre
4th July 2013, 04:10 PM
Been looking at http://www.verisigninc.com/assets/languagefiles/CHI.html which lists all the Chinese characters allowable when registering a Chinese IDN with Verisign.

I notice that

For the CJK Compatibility Ideographs unicode block only the single character U+FA20 﨨 is allowed
None of the Unicode SIP (Supplementary Ideographic Plane) chinese characters are allowed

I had this very helpful response from Verisign:-

Verisign's CJK policy is driven by data tables provided by appropriate authorities. For instance, CNNIC provides a table which limits the characters that can be used in a Chinese (CHI) domain name. The only Compatibility Ideograph currently allowed in a Chinese domain is U+FA28. Again, this information is based on Chinese tables provided by CNNIC.

So now I just need to ask CNNIC the same questions :)

André 小山 Schappo

squirrel
5th July 2013, 07:18 PM
I notice that

Thoughts?

André 小山 Schappo

that explains it I think :

I had this very helpful response from Verisign:-

Again, this information is based on Chinese tables provided by CNNIC.

I don't think CNNIC was much concerned about characters from non Mandarin languages (Cantonese most notably).