PDA

View Full Version : CircleID: Four New Generic Top Level Domains

Drewbert
21st July 2013, 12:30 AM
http://www.circleid.com/posts/20130720_four_new_generic_domains/

21st July 2013, 09:44 AM
Is there a pent up demand for generic names in those languages? When I look around the Internet, my guess would be no. In most countries, registrants typically use their country domain, and I don't see why their preference would change when they can register in their own language rather than English. (The US is an exception, but that's because of the strange way the .US domain was managed before 2002.) It'll probably be close to a year before any of those four

Does anyone understand this reasoning?

He says gTLDs a have no future in countries where the ccTLD is popular but the US is different because they use .com instead of .us.

What has the preference for ccTLDs to do with gTLDs?

gTLDs are simply different alternative extension which either replace the current popular ones or or just broaden the selection of available extensions.

Most (90% or whatever) in the US use .com but how you can reason that because of this gTLDs there will be in demand?

Drewbert
21st July 2013, 10:36 AM
I think he's saying that because those countries all have IDNccTLD's available already, and because prior to that their preference was strongly for their own ASCII ccTLD rather than CNOIB, they're quite likely to be happy with their IDNccTLD rather than branching out into the unknown.

Ignore the bit about .us - I think he put that in there for people in the USA who mostly don't even KNOW there's a .us ccTLD (unpatriotic bastards) and thus have a hard time believing the strength of ccTLD's elsewhere.

He seems to think it will close to a year before Joe Blow can branch out and register within those 4 new IDNgTLD's. Quite possibly.

IdnHost
21st July 2013, 12:29 PM
He clearly underestimates the power of .com (Typical)

Rubber Duck
21st July 2013, 02:36 PM
He clearly underestimates the power of .com (Typical)

Sounds that the opposite is true, but that he thinks you need a Green Card to register one. :lol:

Avtal
21st July 2013, 03:47 PM
I think he's saying that because those countries all have IDNccTLD's available already, and because prior to that their preference was strongly for their own ASCII ccTLD rather than CNOIB, they're quite likely to be happy with their IDNccTLD rather than branching out into the unknown.

I agree that that's what he's saying.

What he didn't take into account: one advantage of say .ком over .рф is that .ком won't have some of the restrictions that .рф has. For instance, .рф doesn't currently offer single-character domains, and many geo domains are restricted.

I used to argue that one advantage of .ком is that it isn't subject to Russian government control, because it is operated by a US-based registry. But that argument has recently become less convincing.

Avtal

Rubber Duck
21st July 2013, 04:16 PM
I used to argue that one advantage of .ком is that it isn't subject to Russian government control, because it is operated by a US-based registry. But that argument has recently become less convincing.

Avtal

Because the US is now a bigger threat to Civil Liberties than the Kremlin?

IdnHost
21st July 2013, 04:52 PM
Sounds that the opposite is true, but that he thinks you need a Green Card to register one. :lol:

If the opposite were true, I suspect one or more of his published articles would shed some light on the subject of verisign applying for 12 translits of .com, those translits being approved recently, or at the very least have an authentic sponsored photo of Rick at the bottom right corner.