PDA

View Full Version : Do Thai language speakers place an adjective before or after the noun

oldguy
12th October 2013, 04:58 PM
Do they say red dog or dog red?

mdw
12th October 2013, 07:15 PM
Generally adjective goes after, but with Thai you really, really need to check the phrases out with a native speaker. Sometimes word combos seem to make sense grammatically to English speakers, but make no sense to native speakers.

If Trafficdomainer is available for consultation you should run your names by him before buying. You could also do some research and really dig into the numbers. Otherwise let me know, I'll hook you up with some native speakers. Trust me it WILL save you some money on bad regs lol. How would I know??? No comment.

oldguy
12th October 2013, 11:44 PM
Thanks - as far as "bad regs" - we've all done it :)

Wot
13th October 2013, 12:29 AM
Thanks - as far as "bad regs" - we've all done it :)

Regs bad.
It done!

TrafficDomainer
13th October 2013, 05:41 AM
Do they say red dog or dog red?

We generally say:

หมาสีแดง (pronounced as mha see daeng) or "dog colour red." หมาแดง (dog red) works as well but is more colloquial.

In Thai we generally try to be as descriptive as possible. So MDW is right on about the fact that adjective goes right after nouns. Feel free to PM me if you want to confirm something specific.

Cheers!

Rubber Duck
13th October 2013, 08:17 AM
We generally say:

หมาสีแดง (pronounced as mha see daeng) or "dog colour red." หมาแดง (dog red) works as well but is more colloquial.

In Thai we generally try to be as descriptive as possible. So MDW is right on about the fact that adjective goes right after nouns. Feel free to PM me if you want to confirm something specific.

Cheers!

Not knowing much about Thai at all, I would just like to make a general warning to native English speakers that many if not most languages have a whole load of grammatical constructs that do not exist in English. First there is gender and generally adjectives have to agree with their nouns. And you can get up to four "genders" to my knowledge. The other concept is case. Languages can have up to seven cases to my knowledge and the adjective also has to agree with the case of the noun in some instances. Summarising: Just don't try to guess. We were lucky. Most of our domains are single words. That makes life a whole lot easier.

Avtal
13th October 2013, 03:55 PM
Languages can have up to seven cases to my knowledge and the adjective also has to agree with the case of the noun in some instances.

A piece of linguistic trivia: Finnish has 15 cases. Source: Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_grammar).

Avtal

domainguru
14th October 2013, 10:17 AM
Not knowing much about Thai at all, I would just like to make a general warning to native English speakers that many if not most languages have a whole load of grammatical constructs that do not exist in English. First there is gender and generally adjectives have to agree with their nouns. And you can get up to four "genders" to my knowledge. The other concept is case. Languages can have up to seven cases to my knowledge and the adjective also has to agree with the case of the noun in some instances. Summarising: Just don't try to guess. We were lucky. Most of our domains are single words. That makes life a whole lot easier.

Fortunately the writen Thai language is very simple in most respects. No genders, no plurals, no word modifications for tenses. F-A1

The hard bit with Thai is learning how to pronounce all the "non-Thai" words. Thai is stuffed full of words that come from ancient Pali / Sanskrit, many of which which have irregular pronunciations, but that obviously doesn't matter for domain registrations.