PDA

View Full Version : Why the new gTLDs are Boring

clipper
17th October 2013, 10:07 AM
Didn't want to further derail the thread (http://www.idnforums.com/forums/34028-2-more-idn-newgtld-contracts-signed.html), so I created a new one.

...how do you go about differentiating a TLD?

By using it in a different way than TLDs have been used before. Put it behind a paywall. Limit 2nd level registrations to contest winners. Or don't even offer 2nd level registrations; just use the TLD.

Give me some ideas how to "sell" the amazing TLD "directory"? I bet you haven't got any ideas right? I certainly don't.

The truth is there was never any user demand for new TLDs.

Well, there was never any user demand for yoga pants (leggings) or spanks (corsets) either, until someone came along and marketed them properly. Or bacon (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4612464), for that matter.

The trick is to use it or present it differently. Every gTLD is going to take the same old "get as many registrants as possible" route without spending a dollar on the public that their clients rely upon.

What if one of these gTLDs actually created its own internet behind a paywall? Or limited registrants to, say, nobel laureates? That would differentiate a gTLD from the noise.

When you look at the budgets of some of these companies (Donuts comes to mind) introducing multiple gTLDs, it becomes apparent that their capital would be better spent on content and a single gTLD, and the kinds of things I'm talking about are attainable.

.directory is not marketable without a plan as to whom you will market it to. "Domainers" and "Developers" are not a different market. Something like YPPA or one of its members that hasn't totally fallen into irrelevance (hard to find, but one purchased business.com for a boatload (http://paidcontent.org/2007/07/26/419-businesscom-sold-to-rh-donnelley-beating-dow-jones-nyt-and-news-corp-pr/), and shortly fell into irrelevance) would be appropriate. One of the bigger internet directories (are Yahoo and DMOZ still relevant?) might be appropriate.

Without getting into it, yes, I can come up with a plan for .directory that would be a lot better than selling .directory domains to registrants the same way that .com and .biz and .whatever will be marketed.

Hint: I would never use "Get your own .directory domain!" in my plan. Registrants would come to us, and hit a brick wall when they want to register, because the second level would only be available by invitation.

I don't see any of these actually doing this, but Google may surprise.

tee1
17th October 2013, 02:02 PM
Hint: I would never use "Get your own .directory domain!" in my plan. Registrants would come to us, and hit a brick wall when they want to register, because the second level would only be available by invitation.

I don't see any of these actually doing this, but Google may surprise.

I would be disappointed if someone didn't come up with something different. If I had to bet I would say your plan is more robust then just selling a name? there is something else offered with the name either directly or indirectly.

I agree they have to do something different. Or you could try the free-advertise with ads and hope they make it. Or with something like .nyc could give free domains with easy to activate/use email addresses to all nyc school teachers, employees ect, actually manage the whole backend for the city deeply discounted and Get say Rudy Giuliani other nyc celebs to promote and hopefully get enough traction to make it..

I like the idea of need to find a hotel? go to "searchterm.hotel" and find yours or "authorname.book" or "crap.ebay" and then the extension would act as a search engine and list all relevant sites. although ebay didn't bother applying for .ebay so disappointed. hehe

how many new gtlds make it? I always thought between 3% to 5% would make it, I am starting to think that number is a little high. but whats the definition of a successful new gltd? break even?

domainguru
18th October 2013, 04:23 AM
Cities are easy sells - meaningful, niche, and localized. Perfect for the modern mobile world.

Not convinced about using TLDs as search terms. You just type "hotel nyc" into google and the job is done. Google figures out the rest. You don't need domain names getting in the way. Browser bars don't really care now whether people type search terms or domains. How does having to type a "." help the user or google get to the end point quicker?

There were attempts at innovation with the "old new" TLDs. Such as .pro, limited to "professionals". I've got no stats but I'm sure that hasn't set the world on fire.

Sure there will be some innovation, that will stop the failure rate from being 100% - but the fallout when 90% of these new gTLDs go bust will ensure this never happens again.

Nobody wants to register and use a domain wondering whether the company will still be operating next year....... not even sure what happens when a gTLD goes bust. Hope ICANN have a big manual ready for the event :yes: