PDA

View Full Version : Greek IE7 Beta hits town

Drewbert
31st May 2006, 11:11 PM
http://www.microsoft.com/hellas/

Giant
31st May 2006, 11:15 PM
http://www.microsoft.com/hellas/

Surprised! You even understand Greek. Maybe I misunderstand your signature!

Drewbert
31st May 2006, 11:29 PM
Everything else is Greek to me.

Greek is badly spelt Russian.

gatorgrad
31st May 2006, 11:55 PM
great to see the Greek IE7 coming out!! I'll have to keep an eye on my traffic and see if anything goes up.

yanni
1st June 2006, 10:27 AM
Greek is badly spelt Russian.

Actually, it's the other way around :)

Rubber Duck
1st June 2006, 10:42 AM
Actually, it's the other way around :)

Actually neither is true. The Russians adopted alphabetic characters that are based the Greek ones, largely to try to promote the Russian Empire as a natural decendant of the Roman One. This theme is not an uncommon one. Even America has made enourmous use of Roman and Greek Architecture to try to underpin its legitimacy.

The Russian Language is Slavic which originates from the Caucauses and is not closely related to Greek in anyway, just as Japanese is not related closely to Chinese. What has happened is that as the need to create a written language other than classical Greek and Latin has emerged, Russian has adopted a version of the Greek system just as Japanese has adopted a version of Hanzi. Try speaking Greek in Moscow and see how far you get!

Drewbert
1st June 2006, 06:19 PM
RD, you need to get out of the house for a while. You're starting to take our jokes seriously.

Rubber Duck
1st June 2006, 06:24 PM
RD, you need to get out of the house for a while. You're starting to take our jokes seriously.

Yes, I realise that there is a bit of leg pulling, but there is a lot of misunderstanding relating to Language and Scripts. It is important for people to understand that they are two separate and unrelated issues. Languages can be represented in more than one alternative script and often not at all. Sharing a script does not forcibly mean that languages are in any way related.

yanni
2nd June 2006, 12:17 PM
I just hope you didn't think for a minute that I believed that Greek and Russian are related languages. :)

I was merely playing on the fact that the Cyrillus and Methodius who introduced the script to Russia, were Greek monks.

Rubber Duck
2nd June 2006, 12:22 PM
I just hope you didn't think for a minute that I believed that Greek and Russian are related languages. :)

I was merely playing on the fact that the Cyrillus and Methodius who introduced the script to Russia, were Greek monks.

No, my comments were aimed at wider audience. I have seen some silly comments on sales threads at DNF from very active speculators who think Arabic is widely spoken through Central Asia. I just didn't want your comments confusing a broader audience many of whom are not as sophisticated, and who are clearly phrone to confusing the differences between language and script.

Clearly the script is attributable to Cyrillus, but I am not sure that either of these two actually stepped foot in Mother Russia. Most of the action seems to have gone on in and around the Balkans and in what is Modern Day Czech Republic. Of course the Czechs later adopted a Latin based alphabet during the 15th Century.

It would seem that the adoption of the script in Russia was instigated by Vladimir the Great, who was apparently of Viking decent, but ruled over a largely Slavic Empire of Kievan Rus. In 988 after visiting Sophia, it was decided that the hitherto Pagan Slavs would adopt the Orthodox religion. Cyril and Methodius were both long dead by then.

ctc
30th June 2006, 05:07 AM
Actually neither is true. The Russians adopted alphabetic characters that are based the Greek ones, largely to try to promote the Russian Empire as a natural decendant of the Roman One. This theme is not an uncommon one. Even America has made enourmous use of Roman and Greek Architecture to try to underpin its legitimacy.

The Russian Language is Slavic which originates from the Caucauses and is not closely related to Greek in anyway, just as Japanese is not related closely to Chinese. What has happened is that as the need to create a written language other than classical Greek and Latin has emerged, Russian has adopted a version of the Greek system just as Japanese has adopted a version of Hanzi. Try speaking Greek in Moscow and see how far you get!

Nice historic overview :)
Also...
Greeks and Russians have the same Religion and the same first names