View Full Version : 3 more IDN's delegated

Drewbert
3rd January 2014, 11:02 PM
.集团 (.xn--3bst00m) – Chinese for "group"
.我爱你 (.xn--6qq986b3xl) – Chinese for "I love you"
.中文网 (.xn--fiq228c5hs) – Chinese for "Chinese network"

Steve Clarke
4th January 2014, 12:46 AM
And still were waiting for .com, after 13 years!

Whats wrong with this picture???

bwhhisc
4th January 2014, 01:01 PM
And still were waiting for .com, after 13 years!

Whats wrong with this picture???

Three letters....
IPC

http://forum.icann.org/lists/comments-rpm-requirements-06aug13/pdfXt2VRhHtyD.pdf

Rubber Duck
4th January 2014, 02:18 PM
Why anyone gives a shit about American Intellectual Property when most of their taxes seem to go on spying on the rest of us.

Furthermore, none of their members seem to either hold relevant trade marks or can actually be bothered to register those they have with the clearing house.

They simply seem determined to meddle in areas that do not concern them and where they have no apparent mandate. A bit like US foreign policy.

bwhhisc
5th January 2014, 01:41 PM
Why anyone gives a shit about American Intellectual Property when most of their taxes seem to go on spying on the rest of us.

Furthermore, none of their members seem to either hold relevant trade marks or can actually be bothered to register those they have with the clearing house.

They simply seem determined to meddle in areas that do not concern them and where they have no apparent mandate. A bit like US foreign policy.

IPC is not just American, but an international group, these are just a few of their members:

•Arab Society of Intellectual Property
•Asociacion Interamericana de la Propiedad Industrial (ASIPI)
•Asociacion Mexicana para La Proteccion de la Propiedad Industrial (AMPPI)
•Association of European Trademark Owners (MARQUES)
•Federation Internationale des Counseils en Propriete Industrielle (FICPI)
•LES International
•IP Institute of Canada (IPIC)

Who knows, the non-English speaking members could be the more vocally opposed to IDN.IDN (.com) that the English speaking members....

camarro
6th January 2014, 06:27 PM
Three letters....
IPC

http://forum.icann.org/lists/comments-rpm-requirements-06aug13/pdfXt2VRhHtyD.pdf

Is there a timeline to solve yet another clusterf**k or are doomed to spend 13 more years hearing every bureaucrat and their lawyers in the world?

bwhhisc
7th January 2014, 12:38 AM
Is there a timeline to solve yet another clusterf**k or are doomed to spend 13 more years hearing every bureaucrat and their lawyers in the world?

Seems that IPC and VeriSign need to come to agreement so when VeriSign reapplies for idn.idn(com) delegation the IPC does not throw up another roadblock. They agreed to meet after Buenos Aires, but so far no indication any agreement or timeline is in place.

domainguru
7th January 2014, 05:26 AM
Seems that IPC and VeriSign need to come to agreement so when VeriSign reapplies for idn.idn(com) delegation the IPC does not throw up another roadblock. They agreed to meet after Buenos Aires, but so far no indication any agreement or timeline is in place.

3-5 years anyone? I've given up talking about "next ICANN conference" :no:

clipper
8th January 2014, 06:11 PM

Wait, they have to re-apply for the 12 gTLDs they already have in the pipeline?

Or are you talking about future gTLDs like .net-in-Japanese?

bwhhisc
8th January 2014, 06:33 PM
Wait, they have to re-apply for the 12 gTLDs they already have in the pipeline?

Or are you talking about future gTLDs like .net-in-Japanese?

I worded that poorly, VeriSign has to "submit their proposal" for implementation of the existing .com and .net string, after which the proposal is then subject to a comment period.

That is where they go torpedoed by the IPC last time, and I don't think they were expecting what happened. They most likely are working to gain the support of the IPC before resubmitting their proposal.

clipper
9th January 2014, 04:50 AM
Thanks for clarifying.

Rubber Duck
9th January 2014, 11:52 AM
I worded that poorly, VeriSign has to "submit their proposal" for implementation of the existing .com and .net string, after which the proposal is then subject to a comment period.

That is where they go torpedoed by the IPC last time, and I don't think they were expecting what happened. They most likely are working to gain the support of the IPC before resubmitting their proposal.

Don't remember their being a specific comment period on the Verisign Implementation Plan. Don't remember there being a specific plan. Remember IPC throwing their weight around, but I think it was outside any formal process, which perhaps only they can get away with.

ICANN have the prerogative to, but are not obliged to put any Implementation Plan into a comment period, if they consider it UNREASONABLY causes user confusion or infringes Trademarks. The latter two requirements are infact now in conflict because of the way big business has abused the priviledge. The whole point of Trademarks is to avoid user confusion, and therefore avoiding User Confusion should take precedence over potential for infringement. What I suspect Verisign is doing is going the extra mile so that the term UNREASONABLE cannot be invoked, thus hoping to avoid a comment period.

As we have not heard anything, I suspect progress is slowly being made. I guess the problem is that IPC is such a multihead beast that getting consensus on an issue that none of them understand in the first place is slow going. Having said that no news is probably good news. If they had hit a stone wall, then we would have heard about it by now.

It should be noted that ICANN have already accommodated the IPC far more than any specific trademark law requires them to do so.

bwhhisc
9th January 2014, 07:27 PM
Don't remember their being a specific comment period on the Verisign Implementation Plan. Don't remember there being a specific plan. Remember IPC throwing their weight around, but I think it was outside any formal process, which perhaps only they can get away with.

ICANN have the prerogative to, but are not obliged to put any Implementation Plan into a comment period, if they consider it UNREASONABLY causes user confusion or infringes Trademarks. The latter two requirements are infact now in conflict because of the way big business has abused the priviledge. The whole point of Trademarks is to avoid user confusion, and therefore avoiding User Confusion should take precedence over potential for infringement. What I suspect Verisign is doing is going the extra mile so that the term UNREASONABLE cannot be invoked, thus hoping to avoid a comment period.

As we have not heard anything, I suspect progress is slowly being made. I guess the problem is that IPC is such a multihead beast that getting consensus on an issue that none of them understand in the first place is slow going. Having said that no news is probably good news. If they had hit a stone wall, then we would have heard about it by now.

It should be noted that ICANN have already accommodated the IPC far more than any specific trademark law requires them to do so.

I am not sure the official title, but it was the proposal submitted by VeriSign on September 6th. Had IPC not thrown the roadblock these would be in process of being delegated.

QUOTE: The IPC opposes VeriSign’s (Registry Operator for .COM/.NET) proposal as submitted to ICANN on September 6, 2013 as “Reply Comments” on the Rights Protection Mechanism requirements implementation document.2 Of concern, VeriSign is proposing “registration policies that provide for domain names in the new gTLD to be allocated or designated to an existing registrant with an exact match second level in another TLD operated by the registry operator.” END QUOTE

andre
22nd January 2014, 03:50 PM
.集团 (.xn--3bst00m) – Chinese for "group"
.我爱你 (.xn--6qq986b3xl) – Chinese for "I love you"

Now live are:

http://nic.集团
http://nic.我爱你

André 小山 Schappo

zenmarketing
22nd January 2014, 07:26 PM
Verisign ruined our Chinese .com investments

Half of these new gTLDs are better than Verisign's stupid, meaningless transliterations of .com and .net.

What a shame.

domainsell
23rd January 2014, 02:06 AM
Insane. The best thing to happen to the internet is being held up ipc? Verisign could at least promote the fact that .com will truley be international why they work on pushing it through. Not a peep from what I have seen. Pathetic.
All of these idn.wharevers are stealing .com's thunder.
Who's the idiots verisign or ipc?
This is way past ridiculous and bordering on criminal imo.

zenmarketing
23rd January 2014, 04:19 AM
I don't even care when they delegate the Chinese .com-in-idn strings because they are meaningless and stupid.

点看 is like "dotcom"

Imagine a domain name that looks like:

hotels.dotcom

How do you read that?

"Hotels dot dot com"

I would have loved to be a fly on the wall in the meetings at Verisign where they came up with this ridiculous string. They totally flushed the opportunity down the toilet.

Heck, I'd almost rather have one of these "I love you" strings. As stupid as it sounds, at least it has a meaning. WTF does "dot dot com" mean?

Avtal
23rd January 2014, 04:45 AM
Verisign ruined our Chinese .com investments

Half of these new gTLDs are better than Verisign's stupid, meaningless transliterations of .com and .net.

What a shame.

Verisign chose a "same-sound" strategy rather than a "same-meaning" strategy for their .net and .com IDN strings. This gave them a set of strings that would be relatively easy to defend under ICANN rules. For most scripts, this worked pretty well.

Of course, for Chinese it was a mess, especially since anglocentric ICANN rules prohibited Verisign from applying for single-character Chinese gTLDs (thus the redundant "dot dotcom"). However, Verisign is probably happy to have avoided a dispute with CNNIC over .公司 and .网络

Avtal

bwhhisc
24th January 2014, 01:58 AM
Insane. The best thing to happen to the internet is being held up ipc? Verisign could at least promote the fact that .com will truley be international why they work on pushing it through. Not a peep from what I have seen. Pathetic.
All of these idn.wharevers are stealing .com's thunder.
Who's the idiots verisign or ipc?
This is way past ridiculous and bordering on criminal imo.

VeriSign staying the course with their plan, kudos for that.

IPC put the wrench in works at the 11th hour, and VeriSign got caught off guard now has to work back thru the system,
maybe another public comment period etc.