gammascalper
1st June 2006, 04:55 AM
What does ご means?

Are those domains worth anything?

ごめん
やご
ご参加
ごはん

ご is part of the Hiragana 'alphabet'. It doesn't mean anything by itself, but it sounds like a bunch of other words, including the number 5, which are always written in Kanji.

If you enlarge that character, you'll see a little double quote on the upper right side. That changes all the 'k' sounds to 'g' sounds. If you add the little dashes to 'ka' it becomes 'ga', and in this case, 'ko' becomes 'go'. こ => ご

ごめん -- brief way of saying sorry, sometimes written ご免。
ごはん -- cooked rice, often written ご飯。 This is good.

The other two I don't recognize, sorry.

rhys
1st June 2006, 02:53 PM
What does ご means?

Are those domains worth anything?

ごめん
やご
ご参加
ごはん

ごめん
ご参加
ごはん

The ご in these three is an honorific which make these words polite. The honorific belongs in the front. Your word やご does not belong in this list because ご here is just part of the word which incidentally, has something to do with wild language or dragonfly larvae depending.

jose
1st June 2006, 03:30 PM
The ご in these three is an honorific which make these words polite. The honorific belongs in the front.

Thanks guys. That means all words can have that honorific term before? Which also means the words without the honorific term are much more valuable, right? Or maybe not?!

gammascalper
1st June 2006, 04:10 PM
Thanks guys. That means all words can have that honorific term before? Which also means the words without the honorific term are much more valuable, right? Or maybe not?!

Thanks rhys. I didn't notice that ご was an honorific. It makes sense now that I look at it -- are those ever said without the ご?

Some words seem to always go with the honorific, so those should be considered more part of the word and more valuable with.

jose
5th June 2006, 03:36 AM
Thanks guys. I see, domains with ご are to forget.

How about ィand イ ?! What's the diference? Thanks

gammascalper
5th June 2006, 04:05 AM
Big イ is a Katakana vowel. The little one is used to change the sound of another Katakana character. It's never used alone.

Olney
5th June 2006, 04:06 AM
Rule number #1 don't go out on a limb & try mixing up new things in the language.

Jose
イ & ィ One is the sound for I (but pronounced "ee" as in meet) They don't have much use by themselves.

When dealing with the honorifics it's truly case by case.

Like Javago's 酒.com
In Japanese manuy usually use お酒 which the お is an honorific.
Overture does not display the honorifics on many terms.

You might type in the term with or without the honorific & many times it will give you results without it only.

NOT every word has honorifics to be applied to it. So don't waste registrations by stickingご to everything. Some words have them most don't.

jose
5th June 2006, 02:49 PM
Big イ is a Katakana vowel. The little one is used to change the sound of another Katakana character. It's never used alone.

Thanks Gamma. That means a word where there was suposed to be a "ィ" if you put a "イ" it's a typo, right? It's not like the English caps, "I" and "i"?

gammascalper
5th June 2006, 03:10 PM
Thanks Gamma. That means a word where there was suposed to be a "ィ" if you put a "イ" it's a typo, right? It's not like the English caps, "I" and "i"?

Yes, it's not a difference in caps. It's a difference in sounds.

Here's an example of the English word for 'agent' in Katakana:

エージェント

This ジ by itself would sound like 'ji' , but when you add a little 'e' character to it (ェ), it changes the sound of 'ji' to 'je', which fits more with the overall English for 'agent'.

If you had the big 'e' (エ) in place of the little 'e' (ェ), you would enunciate that by itself like 'e ji en to', instead of 'e jen to'

So yeah, it's a form of typo.