PDA

View Full Version : name got deleted (with variant) - what to do?

MDM
20th May 2014, 03:08 PM
We have a chinese idn (simplified chinese) registered with name.com on 28 May 2013, expiring 28 May 2015 (yes 2015), but got deleted recently.

We enquired with the registar (name.com) and got this reply:

========================
Verisign identified that the domain name did not comply with Verisign’s Internationalized Domain Name (IDN) Character Variant policy. This policy is available at http://www.verisigninc.com/en_US/products-and-services/domain-name-services/value-added-products/idn-domain-names/character-variants/index.xhtml?loc=en_US. Verisign experienced a temporary issue with its IDN Character Variant validation rules, which allowed certain variants of existing IDNs to be registered. This issue has since been corrected and all variants that were not in compliance with Verisign’s Internationalized Domain Name (IDN) Character Variant policy have been deleted.

At this time the domain is no longer available for registration as it should not have been listed as available originally. Name.com had no say in this matter, and no action was taken by Name.com. We are very sorry about the inconvenience this issue has caused. Please let us know if we can be of any additional assistance. Name.com would be happy to provide further assistance.

========================

We see there are many names with BOTH (or various) variants registered, for many years, anyone has similar expierence and how to handle?

idn
20th May 2014, 03:47 PM
We have a chinese idn (simplified chinese) registered with name.com on 28 May 2013, expiring 28 May 2015 (yes 2015), but got deleted recently.

========================
Verisign identified that the domain name did not comply with Verisign’s Internationalized Domain Name (IDN) Character Variant policy. This policy is available at http://www.verisigninc.com/en_US/products-and-services/domain-name-services/value-added-products/idn-domain-names/character-variants/index.xhtml?loc=en_US. Verisign experienced a temporary issue with its IDN Character Variant validation rules, which allowed certain variants of existing IDNs to be registered. This issue has since been corrected and all variants that were not in compliance with Verisign’s Internationalized Domain Name (IDN) Character Variant policy have been deleted.

At this time the domain is no longer available for registration as it should not have been listed as available originally. Name.com had no say in this matter, and no action was taken by Name.com. We are very sorry about the inconvenience this issue has caused. Please let us know if we can be of any additional assistance. Name.com would be happy to provide further assistance.

========================

We see there are many names with BOTH (or various) variants registered, for many years, anyone has similar expierence and how to handle?

You're not the only one. Squirrel and others on this forum had the same problem. You could try to fight it, but a difficult battle for sir

20th May 2014, 04:20 PM

========================

========================

that's extremely scary. Did it go go to pending delete first or did it just disappear from your account?

I think you can't do much, you can try to fight Verisign but i doubt the "big guys" would be much impressed.

tee1
20th May 2014, 04:30 PM
did they send you an email they were deleting it or did you notice it was gone?

squirrel
20th May 2014, 07:30 PM
did they send you an email they were deleting it or did you notice it was gone?

the registry sends the notice to the registrar. The registrar may or may not have sent the info to the registrant.

MDM
20th May 2014, 11:33 PM
the registry sends the notice to the registrar. The registrar may or may not have sent the info to the registrant.

What did you do after name/s got deleted and result?

squirrel
21st May 2014, 01:25 AM
I talked to my registrar and asked them to talk to Verisign. Nothing came out of it.

I talked to a Verisign customer representative myself. When things got heated, he chose not to answer me saying instead that I had to deal with my registrar instead of going directly to them.

I told them about the other variants existing in .com and .net, about the fact that I had the domains for 4 months before they sent a notice, the fact that my registrar did not even forward the notice to me, etc. None of that worked.

In the end I lost about 5-6 domains including 动画 and 商业

21st May 2014, 07:50 AM
In the end I lost about 5-6 domains including 动画 and 商业

What language tags did you use for registration?

squirrel
21st May 2014, 01:33 PM
I don't think I used any.

jose
21st May 2014, 06:08 PM
That reminds me how people use to say: don't invest on a Facebook page, it's not your property, you'll never know what will FB do with it without asking you first.

AWS
22nd May 2014, 12:58 PM
Same here...
Lost also one :(

mchold
23rd May 2014, 11:41 PM
got one 女皇(queen)。com

MDM
24th May 2014, 03:44 PM
So no one succeed in fighting back the names got deleted?

squirrel
24th May 2014, 07:28 PM
No one. If you want to try let me know if I can be of any help.

NameYourself
27th May 2014, 05:08 AM
Are these deletions being deleted because of containing characters that are no longer supported as has happened in the past with many of the symbols.. or is this strictly as it sounds because they contain variants? What is the exact basis upon which a name falls into the deletion category.. is there some list of variants or characters that they can point to and say exactly why a particular name is no longer renewable?

..so upon further reading it sounds like these would be all the domains that were previously unavailable for all those years and a recent glitch allowed them to be registered.. like 不動産.com (real estate) and others.. or are we looking at older registrations from years ago suddenly being labeled as variants and marked for deletion?