PDA

View Full Version : PPC climb is like climbing a sand dune

touchring
2nd June 2006, 10:32 AM
Walk up 2 steps and the sand will sink and you will fall back 1 or 2 or even 3 steps.

Anyone of you guys experence this?

1. Increase in views, drop in PPC - back to square one or even lower.
2. Sudden drop in views from dozens a day consistently for a few months to just one or two a day in just one day.
3. Sudden increase in views after indexing, from a dozen a day to 5 or even 10 dozens, followed by gradual decline back to a dozen after 2 months.

Conclusion - have to park for at least 3-5 months before the "real" PPC appears, at least for Namedrive, so buying a newly registered name based on 30 or even 60 days of stats is definitely based on inflated PPC.

Rubber Duck
2nd June 2006, 10:39 AM
Walk up 2 steps and the sand will sink and you will fall back 1 or 2 or even 3 steps.

Anyone of you guys experence this?

1. Increase in views, drop in PPC - back to square one.
2. Sudden drop in views from dozens a day to 1 or 2 views a day.
3. Sudden increase in views, followed by gradual decline.

I think much of this is to do with the high percentage of and flakey nature of speculator traffic. I think the really good news is that whilst still small there seems to be a real emergence now of locally based traffic. Of course this could still be spectulators, as speculation is not purely a Western phenomenon. However, even this is extremely important, as these speculators are much closer to and will have more influence over end user behaviour.

touchring
2nd June 2006, 10:44 AM
I think much of this is to do with the high percentage of and flakey nature of speculator traffic. I think the really good news is that whilst still small there seems to be a real emergence now of locally based traffic. Of course this could still be spectulators, as speculation is not purely a Western phenomenon. However, even this is extremely important, as these speculators are much closer to and will have more influence over end user behaviour.

Speculator traffic will not affect PPC - click thru is very low for speculators. You can filter off speculator traffic by subtracting North American traffic.

Rubber Duck
2nd June 2006, 10:50 AM

Well I am sorry to contradict you, but over 50% of my clicks last month come from North America.

This varies quite a lot between languages. Russian only got 25% of its clicks from North America. For Hindi it is 100%.

touchring
2nd June 2006, 10:57 AM
Yes, there's currently an inverse correlation between what speculators go after and local PPC. It's funny but this is what is happening right now.

It sort of mirrors the real estate situation in some cities in China where foriegners and wealthy locals buy up luxury condos, apartments, and prices keep rising year after year, even though many are vacant and cannot be rented out - because they are too expensive for locals to rent. And the wealthy owners are not willing to reduce their rent expectations.

This kind of situation develops when bank loans are not easily obtained and people buy property on mostly cash - so they do not need depend on rent to pay off their mortgages. The same case for domains.

Rubber Duck
2nd June 2006, 10:59 AM
Yes, there's currently an inverse correlation between what speculators go after and local PPC. It's funny but this is what is happening right now.

Yes, from what I am seeing Russian should be one of the most speculated languages, but is actually one of the least. The IDN market place clearly is not very efficient so arbitrage opportunities should exist for a long time to come.

Interestingly, the higher PPC rates for Russian, which seem to be double the Far East and Arabic Markets, are not motivating people to invest in Russia. It would seem the Bolcheviks have cast a very long shadow.

touchring
2nd June 2006, 12:48 PM
Yes, from what I am seeing Russian should be one of the most speculated languages, but is actually one of the least. The IDN market place clearly is not very efficient so arbitrage opportunities should exist for a long time to come.

Interestingly, the higher PPC rates for Russian, which seem to be double the Far East and Arabic Markets, are not motivating people to invest in Russia. It would seem the Bolcheviks have cast a very long shadow.

Well, Arabic is less speculated than Russian, even though traffic is like 5 to 10 times the latter for similar names and PPC about the same, based on 100 clicks data size. And as is the case with Arabic, PPC declines gradually over the months.

rhys
2nd June 2006, 03:05 PM
In the beginning very few if any of my traffic/clicks for my japanese IDNs came from Asia. Now consistently for the past 2 months Asian originated traffic accounts for 20% of my traffic with a click-through rate that is 50% greater than rest of world click-through. I'm hopeful that this is not just speculator traffic but a building base.

But I agree with the original assertion that traffic and ppc patterns at Namedrive are generally baffling.

touchring
2nd June 2006, 07:48 PM
Amazing, i just checked Japanese stats last 7 days, i'm getting 88% from Asia!

But CTR is only 3% When is Ed going to implement Japanese Ads??

alpha
2nd June 2006, 11:59 PM
Speculator traffic will not affect PPC - click thru is very low for speculators. You can filter off speculator traffic by subtracting North American traffic.

I agree with all this. but.. what are "speculators" doing by typing-in? surely thats no way to check if a name is free or not?

bwhhisc
3rd June 2006, 12:02 AM
I agree with all this. but.. what are "speculators" doing by typing-in? surely thats no way to check if a name is free or not?

Maybe seeing if there is a website presence there?

alpha
3rd June 2006, 12:04 AM
Maybe seeing if there is a website presence there?

why?

IDNCowboy
3rd June 2006, 12:12 AM
why?
speculators like me will make an offer if there is no website up. (not talking about a landing page)

If there is a website up the owner is less likely to sell.

alpha
21st June 2006, 11:37 AM
Some of my Arabic names that have only been clicked once so far this month show a revenue of $0.00, how is this possible, do not all ads payout?

Rubber Duck
21st June 2006, 12:09 PM
Some of my Arabic names that have only been clicked once so far this month show a revenue of $0.00, how is this possible, do not all ads payout?

This is because you are being paid less than half a cent so it gets rounded down. For this problem try Sedo as they appear to be paying a minimum of 3 centimes.

Actually, there appear to be two systems running here. Google give the PPC supplies average clicks, they don't seem to know what they are going to get paid for about 24hrs or so after the event. ND seems to be paying on the basis of the final figure, wheras Sedo seems to basing theirs on the average. This appears to give extremes for Namedrive who have very high but also very low value clicks. At Sedo you don't seem to get the very low value ones but you also seem to miss out on the high ones. Which is better? In all honesty I don't know. In principal probably ND. In practice well, depends on the individual domains and keywords, I suspect.

touchring
22nd June 2006, 07:32 PM
This PPC climb is getting interesting, especially with native ads kicked in, and depending on your portfolio spread, you might either experience an increase or a decrease in average PPC. That's why it is important to diversify.

Incidentally, i got exceptionally high PPC views yesterday, has anyone experienced this?

IDNCowboy
22nd June 2006, 08:02 PM
This PPC climb is getting interesting, especially with native ads kicked in, and depending on your portfolio spread, you might either experience an increase or a decrease in average PPC. That's why it is important to diversify.

Incidentally, i got exceptionally high PPC views yesterday, has anyone experienced this?
What are the traffic stats on your .jp 's

touchring
22nd June 2006, 08:15 PM
What are the traffic stats on your .jp 's

I dun have any jp. Was busy with .com in various languages, so had no time to look into .jp. But I think .jp would take off after idn.idn comes in. It's not an overnight thing, people are just used to typing .com.