PDA

View Full Version : Our own scott fish in the news?

IDNCowboy
2nd June 2006, 10:19 PM
http://news.com.com/Dotster+named+in+massive+cybersquatting+suit/2100-1032_3-6079567.html?tag=nefd.lede

looks like neiman marcus might have messed up and is going after dotster saying they made the money from the domain while it was really someone else using dotster as the registrar.

Neiman Marcus and Bergdorf Goodman's complaint and exhibits, which total 155 pages, include excerpts from a conversation with Dotster employee Scott Fish, who allegedly asked for $1,000 for the name BergmanGoodman.com.

Oh well dotster sucked anyway........time to transfer my domains elsewhere

Best of luck to Scott Fish. The members of IDNForums I'm sure are surely backing you.

blastfromthepast
2nd June 2006, 10:33 PM
Busted! Ha!

thefabfive
2nd June 2006, 10:42 PM
Remember these are only allegations.

They're innocent until proven guilty by an IDNForums poll.

mulligan
2nd June 2006, 10:52 PM
*Wonders if the 5 day grace period will be brought up and the potential repercussions*
But this Dotster lawsuit involves allegations of a new twist on the concept: a registrar using its special status with the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers to secure misspelled domains temporarily for a few days, measure the traffic, and then pay for only the ones that would be lucrative in terms of advertising.

New? Did Declan McCullagh do any research or actually know anything about this industry?

IDNCowboy
2nd June 2006, 10:54 PM
*Wonders if the 5 day grace period will be brought up and the potential repercussions*

New? Did Declan McCullagh do any research or actually know anything about this industry?
Declan was news.com's primary reporter that did the articles on the Net Neutrality issues... He seems to be one of their main reporters.

It looks like the issue here is that neither the reporter nor neiman's lawyers know anything about the system. ;)

It is also quite possible that Declan was made to believe that since he was told Scott Fish was an employee to just spit out the story as it was given in the legal letter.

bwhhisc
2nd June 2006, 11:47 PM
Remember these are only allegations.
They're innocent until proven guilty by an IDNForums poll.

QUOTE=blastfromthepast] Busted! Ha! [/QUOTE]

Scott, remember these words "I plead the droit!"

Drewbert
3rd June 2006, 01:25 AM
>New? Did Declan McCullagh do any research or actually know anything about this
>industry?

I think by new, he meant "first typosquatter law suit involving a Registrar".

Declan's been writing about this sort of stuff for a while IIRC.

This could be interesting folks. Registrars have been doing things that were unthinkable a few years back - stand by for potential landscape change.

alex
3rd June 2006, 03:17 AM
Is there a chance we could be locked out of our Dotster domains? I've had a handful there for years now.

Drewbert
3rd June 2006, 03:55 AM
Part of ICANN's "stability of the Internet" mandate was a data escrow of all domains so that if a registrar went west, people could move their names elsewhere after the fact. Don't think they've done that yet. They're too busy doing non-mandated stuff.

alex
3rd June 2006, 04:11 AM
Thanks for the reply. That doesn't sound good.

IDNCowboy
3rd June 2006, 04:34 AM
Thanks for the reply. That doesn't sound good.
LOL Dotster is big. I doubt they'll go under but I wonder how many millions they are going to sue them for.

Olney
3rd June 2006, 06:06 AM
I sort of think this was a different person since Scott is famous for being in SEO he's using the same techniques as me to pick up domains.

IDNCowboy
3rd June 2006, 06:18 AM
I sort of think this was a different person since Scott is famous for being in SEO he's using the same techniques as me to pick up domains.
http://forums.seochat.com/seo-help-general-chat-16/a-little-deal-for-hosting-dotster-4-happy-hour-75288.html

It's the same scott - Check google for ScottFish Dotster

I wouldn't say he's famous - but his blog is visited alot.

anyway, I guess its time for people on dnforum to rethink their TM typo domains as the landscape is going to change. Hopefully more ppl on dnforum will start investing in idns and maybe with more international users buying names we can get this up and running faster. It is good that there is an IDN opportunity open to us with generic words..... It gives those people that missed the ascii landrush years ago a chance to get a good name and make decent income within the next few years.

I'm sure Scott will be fine if he hands over all the domains.....I know he'll do the right thing. He should have used a seperate handle for non dotster activities as it probably made the lawsuit more critical as it is blaming dotster as a whole for these domains.