PDA

View Full Version : Any update for .com aliasing?

TrafficDomainer
16th April 2015, 03:17 PM
Anyone has any info about the update on the timeline for .com aliasing please?

squirrel
16th April 2015, 03:29 PM
Haven't heard anything new. Next Earnings Call is April 23rd

TrafficDomainer
16th April 2015, 03:32 PM
Thanks JS.

squirrel
16th April 2015, 03:40 PM
For everyone's info, the latest has been discussed here :

http://www.idnforums.com/forums/34776-so-whats-the-story.html (talk about the Registry Service Evaluation Process )
http://www.idnforums.com/forums/34816-q3-2014-verisign-earnings-conference-call-4.html (The last Verisign Earnings Call)

idn
21st April 2015, 01:23 AM
Probably matters little anymore. It would take something massive.

Additionally, parking revenue has plummeted. G is taking more of the pie and so are parking companies to cover the losses. No matter how many domains I add the revenue either stays flat or even drops.

Development to me is the only real hope, but it will be tough to get our strong keywords to the top of search engines as in most cases they are very competitive.

Nothing sells on the forum understandably so. No market or parking revenue equals little value. In fact, I wish people would stop daily listing junk as it is beginning to be an eyesore!

IMHO if you have domains that make more than their renewal fees or top 5% dot coms I'd still keep them, otherwise, drop drop drop drop drop drop.

NameYourself
21st April 2015, 01:38 AM
/\ agree with above, I've noticed all of the same.

Biggest realization being that aliasing likely won't result in any super surge in traffic as was the original hope, nor would we expect to see the super surge in registrations once they go live. This is a much longer term animal than any of us ever expected.. we are likely looking at a slower trend that will take years.

squirrel
21st April 2015, 02:12 AM
Any domains you think of dropping you can pm me.

21st April 2015, 10:53 AM
Probably matters little anymore. It would take something massive.

Additionally, parking revenue has plummeted. G is taking more of the pie and so are parking companies to cover the losses. No matter how many domains I add the revenue either stays flat or even drops.

Development to me is the only real hope, but it will be tough to get our strong keywords to the top of search engines as in most cases they are very competitive.

Nothing sells on the forum understandably so. No market or parking revenue equals little value. In fact, I wish people would stop daily listing junk as it is beginning to be an eyesore!

IMHO if you have domains that make more than their renewal fees or top 5% dot coms I'd still keep them, otherwise, drop drop drop drop drop drop.

honestly, development is tough. IDNers have only good keywords which are are hard to rank. If you lack the language skills it is even tougher.

That is really not an option for most us. In fact it is not an option for most ASCII domainers.

Personally - unless you can afford the renewal fees for years to come and are willing to pay for them- i would drop anything that is not high quality if you have enough quality in your portfolio.

I see some have tons of mediocre .nets. It is hard enough to get a good price for decent ASCII .nets in English a major language, don't think that you will get that much for your IDN .nets even if things go well.

Factor in the cost of renewal in your ROI for years in advance and then ask yourself if the potential ROI would be really that great. Not every IDN will be a great investment even when usage should become mainstream.

idn
21st April 2015, 11:02 AM
Any domains you think of dropping you can pm me.

Save your money. :)

IdnHost
21st April 2015, 11:43 AM
No matter how many domains I add the revenue either stays flat or even drops.

Bingo

Rubber Duck
21st April 2015, 12:14 PM
Now you tell me!

Ah, well just have to look to see what things look like next year now I guess.:lol:

honestly, development is tough. IDNers have only good keywords which are are hard to rank. If you lack the language skills it is even tougher.

That is really not an option for most us. In fact it is not an option for most ASCII domainers.

Personally - unless you can afford the renewal fees for years to come and are willing to pay for them- i would drop anything that is not high quality if you have enough quality in your portfolio.

I see some have tons of mediocre .nets. It is hard enough to get a good price for decent ASCII .nets in English a major language, don't think that you will get that much for your IDN .nets even if things go well.

Factor in the cost of renewal in your ROI for years in advance and then ask yourself if the potential ROI would be really that great. Not every IDN will be a great investment even when usage should become mainstream.

idn
21st April 2015, 04:52 PM
Biggest realization being that aliasing likely won't result in any super surge in traffic...

In some cases it probably could, but those will be blocked under the name collision.

Rubber Duck
21st April 2015, 05:24 PM
In some cases it probably could, but those will be blocked under the name collision.

Doubt it.The list will be set before there is any awareness of the TLDs.

idn
21st April 2015, 10:31 PM
Doubt it.The list will be set before there is any awareness of the TLDs.

There are ones that clearly would receive traffic today- those will all be blocked.

Rubber Duck
22nd April 2015, 07:11 AM
There are ones that clearly would receive traffic today- those will all be blocked.

Verisign IDNs in that case will get hit harder than the rest, but Verisign is better positioned to clean up the list. If that happens retrospectively then the Sunrise nonsense is likely to get side stepped.

alibuba
24th April 2015, 02:43 PM
Ill answer your questions...

ahem.. We all started off as being some of the smartest fucks ever to put dollars into something. Over the years ive realized we are actually now a big bunch of idiots still paying into this shit! If IDNs reach a point of success i hope im not old. Im getting there but i now hope like really really not old. Started at 18 now 28. I told my self when i bought i guessed around 27 this would pop off. That was a year ago sadly.

Dropped about half and kept other half.

Im sure they will succeed its just im sure we are having to carry the bloat and wait the line up.

Keep the best you got. Verisign will one day come out.... 1000s of old men with suits on all holding canes " Everyone! Everyone! " " IDN com................ is now publicly registerable" hahahaha

Emil
24th April 2015, 06:26 PM
are people more depressed/negative on this whole "experiment" by the name of IDNs because negative on chances/probability of Verisign ever getting its act together or because giving up on the initial premise of IDNs being a viable/sound investment in the first place and ever getting popular with locals and actually getting traffic in?

cause if the IDNs are good/sound idea then almost no matter how long it takes (almost), it is worth waiting for this good idea to finally come around. And if not then doesnt matter here how long of time it will take cause perhaps its flawed premise we are operating here in the first place.

IdnHost
24th April 2015, 08:19 PM
are people more depressed/negative on this whole "experiment" by the name of IDNs because negative on chances/probability of Verisign ever getting its act together or because giving up on the initial premise of IDNs being a viable/sound investment in the first place and ever getting popular with locals and actually getting traffic in?

cause if the IDNs are good/sound idea then almost no matter how long it takes (almost), it is worth waiting for this good idea to finally come around. And if not then doesnt matter here how long of time it will take cause perhaps its flawed premise we are operating here in the first place.

Umm, its a little bit of the first thing and all also see all that money in renewal fees go bye bye year after year. (My heart goes out to members renewing since early 2000's). It's pretty evident that the idea of IDN's makes perfect sense to those who understand how much of a benefit IDNs provide, but with ICANN overseeing things, we're chasing rainbows in the drought.

Rubber Duck
26th April 2015, 03:31 PM
This is Pat. The process that we have to go through, it starts off with what is called pre-delegation, which will happen in early May. And then, there is a controlled interruption phase, which lasts for 90 days which actually has to deal with name collisions and making sure that there is not any unwanted behaviors within the new gTLD space, and then we would launch after that at the earliest. So it really all depends upon, though, getting approval from ICANN on the modified sunrise period and seeing what we can do from there.

idn
26th April 2015, 07:31 PM
Finally, as you may recall, one way VeriSign has been participating in ICANN's new gTLD program was by applying for internationalized domain name transliterations of .com and .net.

As mentioned during the last earnings call, we have signed 11 IDN TLD registry agreements and are seeking a modified sunrise period from ICANN. Since we spoke to you last quarter, we have submitted our request for this modified sunrise period and are awaiting the response from ICANN.

The failure to gain approval could delay a general availability date or could result in VeriSign having to revise our go-to-market strategy for the IDNs.

TrafficDomainer
28th April 2015, 04:58 PM
Finally, as you may recall, one way VeriSign has been participating in ICANN's new gTLD program was by applying for internationalized domain name transliterations of .com and .net.

As mentioned during the last earnings call, we have signed 11 IDN TLD registry agreements and are seeking a modified sunrise period from ICANN. Since we spoke to you last quarter, we have submitted our request for this modified sunrise period and are awaiting the response from ICANN.

The failure to gain approval could delay a general availability date or could result in VeriSign having to revise our go-to-market strategy for the IDNs.

Thanks "idn". Doesn't sound like Verisign is very confident that they could get approval for their plan and it appears to me they are hinting that they may consider abandoning their aliasing plan?

idn
29th April 2015, 01:24 AM
Thanks "idn". Doesn't sound like Verisign is very confident that they could get approval for their plan and it appears to me they are hinting that they may consider abandoning their aliasing plan?

All I read is delays, delays, delays, 2016.

Rubber Duck
29th April 2015, 05:19 AM
ICANN need a win. The whole nTLD process is turning into a train wreck.

The last thing that they need is litigation with Verisign. They might have gained $60million on the auctions but politically they can hardly use that on legal fees.

I think you will find that Verisign have more or less dotted all the I's and crossed all the T's before submitting.

Yes, ICANN would have loved a viable dot Com Challenger but do they really want XYZ as their epitaph?

29th April 2015, 04:41 PM
it appears to me they are hinting that they may consider abandoning their aliasing plan?

where are they saying this? I don't think they mentioned this.

TrafficDomainer
30th April 2015, 05:46 PM
where are they saying this? I don't think they mentioned this.

"The failure to gain approval could delay a general availability date or could result in VeriSign having to revise our go-to-market strategy for the IDNs."

It's just something I was wondering from the above statement. Not exactly sure what they meant by "or could result in Verisign having to revise our go-to-market strategy"

Jay
30th April 2015, 08:18 PM
"The failure to gain approval could delay a general availability date or could result in VeriSign having to revise our go-to-market strategy for the IDNs."

It's just something I was wondering from the above statement. Not exactly sure what they meant by "or could result in Verisign having to revise our go-to-market strategy"

From memory, instead of a traditional sunrise period where TM holders apply for their names, Verisign were proposing to instead seek out companies etc to register their names.

Potentially, that could include seeking out current registrants (like us) and offering those names before they open them up to general availability. At least, that's what I read into it. But Verisign has been vague to say the least.