PDA

View Full Version : CONGRATULATIONS IDNers!!

Globabel
9th November 2015, 07:02 PM
CONGRATULATIONS IDNers!!

The first .com IDN translit (Japanese) launches on Dec 7

Verisign’s “PRIORITY ACCESS PROGRAM”
(from Verisign’s Sunrise Attachment):

4.1 Phase 1 -

The “Priority Access Program” is a restricted registration period open solely to “Qualifying Priority Access Program Applicant(s),” which are defined as current registrants of a secondlevel domain name (in ASCII or IDN script) in the .com and/or .net top-level domain, as applicable in accordance with the Priority Access Program Table, that registered the domain erisign Public name prior to the start date of the Priority Access Program Period for the applicable Registry TLD (the “Existing .com/.net Second Level Domain Name”) and that have held the registration of the Existing .com/.net Second Level Domain Name for longer than the Add Grace Period (as set forth in Verisign’s Registration Lifecycle Processes and Grace Periods).

Each Qualifying Priority Access Program Applicant shall have the exclusive right during the applicable Priority Access Program Period to register the exact match of the Existing .com/.net Second Level Domain Name (the “Matching Second Level Domain Name”) in any one or more of the Registry TLDs in accordance with the Priority Access Program Table, provided: (i) such Matching Second Level Domain Name is available for registration in such Registry TLD(s) during the Priority Access Program Period; and (ii) such Matching Second Level Domain Name is registered through a Registrar that is the same registrar-of-record for the Existing .com/.net Second Level Domain Name.

http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/program-status/sunrise-claims-periods/xn--tckwe

Sunrise attachment:

http://myicann.force.com/SunriseAttachment?attachmentId=MDBQZDAwMDAwMEQxY3ZqRUFC

tee1
9th November 2015, 08:59 PM
Awesome news thanks for posting! on a side note: I realize the 7th falls on a Monday but Dec 7th and Japanese? Dec 7 is for Trademarks and our key date is Feb 1st, am I reading that correctly?

I guess the next questions is how much?

from here http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/program-status/sunrise-claims-periods/xn--tckwe
Important Dates

Sunrise Type: Start Date Sunrise

Sunrise Period: 07 December 2015 to 31 January 2016

Trademark Claims Period: 02 May 2016 to 31 July 2016

Additional Periods

Limited Registration Period: Landrush Program - 4 Apr 2016 to 1 May 2016

Limited Registration Period: Priority Access Program - 1 Feb 2016 to 3 Apr 2016

Drewbert
9th November 2015, 09:14 PM
I just wet my pants.

clipper
9th November 2015, 10:06 PM
Awesome news thanks for posting! on a side note: I realize the 7th falls on a Monday but Dec 7th and Japanese? Dec 7 is for Trademarks and our key date is Feb 1st, am I reading that correctly?

Looks like that's the right date, and they're doing it for .RU holders as well:

http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/program-status/sunrise-claims-periods

And we are in before landrush.

Drewbert
9th November 2015, 10:10 PM

Yes. Exactly. the .ru one is AFTER the landrush == apply vaseline.

Avtal
9th November 2015, 10:31 PM

I'm afraid don't understand what you are saying about .ru (the Russia ccTLD). Your link leads to the general ICANN gTLD sunrise page; I'm not sure where to look to find more information about .ru holders.

Anyway, great news about Verisign's .com-in-Japanese!

Avtal

clipper
9th November 2015, 10:55 PM
I'm afraid don't understand what you are saying about .ru (the Russia ccTLD). Your link leads to the general ICANN gTLD sunrise page; I'm not sure where to look to find more information about .ru holders.

Anyway, great news about Verisign's .com-in-Japanese!

Avtal

It's about halfway down the page, search for xn--p1acf

I was just scrolling, looking for other "xn--" TLDs that had limited registration periods to see if any other Verisign names were scheduled. As Drew noted, landrush for .РУС is from Jan 18 - Mar 11, while .RU owners limited reg. starts Mar 15.

sbe18
9th November 2015, 10:59 PM
Nice to finally see progress.

Avtal
9th November 2015, 11:51 PM
It's about halfway down the page, search for xn--p1acf

I was just scrolling, looking for other "xn--" TLDs that had limited registration periods to see if any other Verisign names were scheduled. As Drew noted, landrush for .РУС is from Jan 18 - Mar 11, while .RU owners limited reg. starts Mar 15.

I see it now; thanks.

Ouch!

Avtal

idn
10th November 2015, 12:05 AM
Awesome!

squirrel
10th November 2015, 12:33 AM
Anything on pricing, generally and during the Priority Access program ?

Anything on variant handling ?

alibuba
10th November 2015, 12:38 AM
whats the story on the other languages?

This looks good. Gives us time to reg our names.

squirrel
10th November 2015, 01:00 AM
http://nic.xn--tckwe/ resolve for anyone ?

squirrel
10th November 2015, 01:01 AM
whats the story on the other languages?

This looks good. Gives us time to reg our names.

Most likely other languages will follow the same recipe. No reason to change anything, it would be unnecessarily complex to handle for registrar partners, plus what's the point ?

idnowner
10th November 2015, 01:07 AM
http://nic.xn--tckwe/ resolve for anyone ?

Try: webwhois.nic.コム

squirrel
10th November 2015, 01:09 AM
Thanks,

but I'm really looking for the nic page, not whois. I want to have more detail about the launch, including pricing and variant handling. something like nic.sex for .sex

sbe18
10th November 2015, 03:39 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

sbe18
10th November 2015, 03:42 AM
Did the cctld idn for dot jp ever get past the dot co.jp idn kerfuffle from trademark holdrrs etc ?...

Or they just want to see how the Koreans handle it ?
Posted via Mobile Device

TrafficDomainer
10th November 2015, 04:12 AM
Wow, at last some progress after so many years of stagnation. Wasn't sure if we were going to be thrown under the bus entirely. Thanks for the great news. Congratulations to everyone!

phio
10th November 2015, 07:08 AM
Huh? Is there something happening?

NameYourself
10th November 2015, 07:33 AM
Looks good so far, but has there been any mention of the price.. there better not be any kind of selective, premium pricing instituted.

10th November 2015, 09:36 AM
Looks good so far, but has there been any mention of the price.. there better not be any kind of selective, premium pricing instituted.

I doubt they will do premium pricing on them.. after that probably yes!

10th November 2015, 09:49 AM
http://myicann.force.com/SunriseAttachment?attachmentId=MDBQZDAwMDAwMEQxY3ZqRUFC

The way I interpret this is that we wouldn't have to pay any application fees(which means possibly reg-fee costs for us?), the others will have too. We can register before the general public but TM holders could apply before us. So it is not as bad as some have feared, but i think that means that they have not changed their mind and will split the extensions up.

3. Sunrise Period
3.1 Registrars participating in the Sunrise Period and Claims Period agree to first complete
“Integration Testing” (as referenced in Section 1.3 of the TMCH RPMs) prior to
participation in the Sunrise Period.
3.2 In order to register a Domain Name during the Sunrise Period, Registrar must submit a
valid SMD File received from the Sunrise Eligible Applicant for the Domain Name.
3.3 The Sunrise Period will be a minimum of (30) days for each Registry TLD and will
operate as a “Start-Date Sunrise.” During the Sunrise Period, Domain Name registrations
will be processed in the Registry TLD on a “first-come, first-served” basis.
3.4 Each Domain Name registration in the Registry TLD during the Sunrise Period is subject
to an Application Fee, in addition to the initial registration fee, all as set forth in the
Registry Fee Schedule.
4. Limited Registration Period Verisign may provide a Limited Registration Period for the
Registry TLD(s). The Limited Registration Period may operate in one or two phases (Priority
Access Program and/or Landrush Program), as set forth below.
4.1 Phase 1 - Priority Access Program
The “Priority Access Program” is a restricted registration period open solely to “Qualifying
Priority Access Program Applicant(s),” which are defined as current registrants of a secondlevel
domain name (in ASCII or IDN script) in the .com and/or .net top-level domain, as
applicable in accordance with the Priority Access Program Table, that registered the domain
Verisign Public
name prior to the start date of the Priority Access Program Period for the applicable Registry
TLD (the “Existing .com/.net Second Level Domain Name”) and that have held the registration
of the Existing .com/.net Second Level Domain Name for longer than the Add Grace Period (as
set forth in Verisign’s Registration Lifecycle Processes and Grace Periods).
Each Qualifying Priority Access Program Applicant shall have the exclusive right during the
applicable Priority Access Program Period to register the exact match of the Existing .com/.net
Second Level Domain Name (the “Matching Second Level Domain Name”) in any one or
more of the Registry TLDs in accordance with the Priority Access Program Table, provided: (i)
such Matching Second Level Domain Name is available for registration in such Registry TLD(s)
during the Priority Access Program Period; and (ii) such Matching Second Level Domain Name
is registered through a Registrar that is the same registrar-of-record for the Existing .com/.net
Second Level Domain Name.
4.2 Phase 2- Landrush Program
The “Landrush Program” is open to any eligible entity or individual for any available Domain
Name in the Registry TLD during the Landrush Program Period. During the Landrush Program
Period, Domain Name registrations will be available on a “first-come, first-served” basis, subject
to availability and the Registry Policies. Each Domain Name registration in the Registry TLD
during the Landrush Program Period is subject to an Application Fee, in addition to the initial
registration fee all as set forth in the Registry Fee Schedule.
5. Claims Period
Verisign will provide a minimum of a ninety (90) day Claims Period for each Registry TLD.
During the Claims Period each Domain Name registration will be subject to any corresponding
registration criteria that may be in place for the particular Registry TLD (e.g. Limited
Registration Period, General Availability).
6. General Registration Period
Verisign will provide Domain Names in the Registry TLD on a “first-come, first-served basis”
during the General Registration Period, subject to availability and the Registry Policies.
7. Time Records
Registrar agrees that in the event of any dispute concerning the time of the entry of a Domain
Name registration or o

TrafficDomainer
10th November 2015, 03:35 PM

The way I interpret this is that we wouldn't have to pay any application fees(which means possibly reg-fee costs for us?), the others will have too. We can register before the general public but TM holders could apply before us. So it is not as bad as some have feared, but i think that means that they have not changed their mind and will split the extensions up.

I think there is still the possibility of Verisign minimizing the extension split between .com and .com (in IDN) if it decides to give current .com registrants the option to register the idn equivalents at $0 or even better register these automatically for current registrants at no charge. By doing so, this could help ensure the uptake of new idn.idn (for .coms) for additional new regs and minimize the confusion for the space. This will need Verisign's foresight to forgo immediate term gain for medium and long term success and revenue for Versign idns. This is the route taken by THNIC for their IDNs. If Verisign would look at the big picture, they actually will gain with this move since they have made money from existing .com registrants and will continue to do so progressively if they execute the mentioned strategy. If they don't provide this at no charge, it could permanently and irreversibly damage the faith in idn.com and idn.idn brands and renewals with the confusion caused by the extension split.

NameYourself
10th November 2015, 06:42 PM
I believe one of the requirements by ICANN for all new gTLDs is that each new TLD of which each .com translit is categorized as, must be able to operate independently / able to be sold off or taken over by another registry. If it was 100% reliant in every way on standard .coms then it couldn't meet this requirement and as I remember would not be approved to go to launch. There are of course many things they can do to match it as closely as possible while still meeting this requirement, but unfortunately the requirements of ICANN's one size fits all approach needs to be satisfied first, even though by doing so it has the potential to dilute their own .com brand. That's what you call government and policy getting in the way of common sense. If they block names indefinitely which are already registered in any one of the other .com standard or .com translits, then this likely would mean it is not operating independently. So it sounds like we will have a window of time, one chance to match our names before it gets split and a translit can be registered without the standard version.

Now the other thing I noticed was that it also requires the matched offering to existing .coms to be registered at the same registrar where that name is already registered. What would happen if the registrar you use elects not to offer those translits right away, or ever. Not all registrars choose offer every new gTLD, and some of the smaller ones might not even offer them at all.. just something to think about.

TrafficDomainer
10th November 2015, 07:15 PM
I believe one of the requirements by ICANN for all new gTLDs is that each new TLD of which each .com translit is categorized as, must be able to operate independently / able to be sold off or taken over by another registry. If it was 100% reliant in every way on standard .coms then it couldn't meet this requirement and as I remember would not be approved to go to launch. There are of course many things they can do to match it as closely as possible while still meeting this requirement, but unfortunately the requirements of ICANN's one size fits all approach needs to be satisfied first, even though by doing so it has the potential to dilute their own .com brand. That's what you call government and policy getting in the way of common sense. If they block names indefinitely which are already registered in any one of the other .com standard or .com translits, then this likely would mean it is not operating independently. So it sounds like we will have a window of time, one chance to match our names before it gets split and a translit can be registered without the standard version.

Now the other thing I noticed was that it also requires the matched offering to existing .coms to be registered at the same registrar where that name is already registered. What would happen if the registrar you use elects not to offer those translits right away, or ever. Not all registrars choose offer every new gTLD, and some of the smaller ones might not even offer them at all.. just something to think about.

I think should Verisign decide to implement the THNIC strategy by giving .com (in IDN) to existing .com registrants at no charge, Verisign can still satisfy ICANN's requirement (if that is their policy) that they must be operated independently as the owners of the corresponding names can decide to sell their domain names separately should they wish to do so. But they probably will not choose to do so as this will destroy the value of their domains and potential future buyers may not be interested to buy only half of the pair. The proposed strategy is to minimize/mitigate the extension split while complying with ICANN's policy not the 100% guaranteed attached policy that Verisign earlier proposed with the indefinite exclusive right to activate the corresponding .com in IDN domains which got knocked down. Perhaps Verisign is on to something by requiring that idn.idn be registered at the same registrar where your corresponding .com is.

blackpower
10th November 2015, 09:26 PM
Hate to break it to you but for those who hold a lot of russian .com, drop them now. Russia is not a place for business; it has become again a totalitarian shithole; I'd keep only the very best ones for a distant future.
Not to mention that they now have an economy size of Italy; Damn commies... never trust a commy

Drewbert
10th November 2015, 09:40 PM
Perhaps Verisign is on to something by requiring that idn.idn be registered at the same registrar where your corresponding .com is.

.com and .net are "thin" registries. All the registrant information is stored at the registrar. Allowing priority registrants to register the equivalent and another Registrar is operationally "difficult".

From http://www.verisign.com/en_GB/domain-names/domain-name-faqs/index.xhtml

What is the difference between a thin registry and a thick registry?

There are two different types of registry databases: thick and thin. A thin registry database contains only DNS information (domain name, name server names and name server IP addresses) along with the name of the registrar who registered the name and basic transaction data. A thick registry database also contains registrant, technical and administrative contact information. Verisign operates a thick registry for the .name TLD and thin registries for other TLDs.

squirrel
11th November 2015, 02:11 AM

Some other nGTLD where able to alias, but they started with two empty zone, see .ngo and .ong

As Drew pointed, the "same registrar" thing is mainly because registrars can check who the owner is better than the registry.

squirrel
11th November 2015, 02:14 AM
Did the cctld idn for dot jp ever get past the dot co.jp idn kerfuffle from trademark holdrrs etc ?...

Or they just want to see how the Koreans handle it ?
Posted via Mobile Device

It was never delegated I think, not even sure Japan applied for it during the fast track

NameYourself
11th November 2015, 04:14 AM
Some other nGTLD where able to alias, but they started with two empty zone, see .ngo and .ong

As Drew pointed, the "same registrar" thing is mainly because registrars can check who the owner is better than the registry.

Thanks for adding some clarity, but the issue still remains that it is the registrar's choice which new TLDs they want to offer as part of their services. This could either be

#1) technical in nature - some websites like Moniker way back in the day of IDN.coms first few years didn't even bother to allow registration of IDNs at all (because of technical reasons, having to rewrite code to get them to register correctly) until years after most of the other registrars. I'm not sure what kind of technical implications offering these new translits might present for the registrars.. but now that they also would have to do a double check for existing registrants, etc.. there certainly would be some coding changes needed just to make all this work. What if your registrar decides to hold off on making those changes right away.. as in during the early period of time which is the only time you can register that match? Does anyone know which registrars are already offering the new .com translits or advertising to offer them on their websites?

#2) due to choice - not all registrars want to offer every single new gTLD plain and simple, technical changes aside. Some registrars only stick to offering the tlds from the bigger registries like Donuts..

These are just things to consider now, before the time period to register matching domains approaches. It would be a tragedy if you had everything ready to go after all these years, only to find out you can't get your matches simply because of the registrar they are currently at.

Rubber Duck
11th November 2015, 08:00 AM
So far, so good.

Verisign so far have played it with a straight bat.

No moral case against them as yet.

More than I can say for the bunch of retards that run the DNS.

11th November 2015, 12:16 PM
I think there is still the possibility of Verisign minimizing the extension split between .com and .com (in IDN) if it decides to give current .com registrants the option to register the idn equivalents at $0 or even better register these automatically for current registrants at no charge. By doing so, this could help ensure the uptake of new idn.idn (for .coms) for additional new regs and minimize the confusion for the space.

I think what they should do or have done:

Make the reg-fee 0$ and allow ONLY existing .com holders to register the domain ONLY at the same registrar. Or at least overprice .IDN registration fees for non .com holders.

There is no official bundling but technically you can not have more than 1 owner. ICANN can't say anything because they are still following the rules.

When you can have only one owner you can still implement aliasing later. ICANN might change their mind at one point. Once you have two owners you can't alias anymore. Other TLDs have special requirements(locality or nationality, see .NYC) for example, they don't have to be open to everyone.Why not limit access to .com holders? If you want to register .IDN you need the .com. It's quite simple.

I think that ICANN rules require that the extensions operate independently not the second-level domains.

Emperor
11th November 2015, 05:13 PM
This is an important point. I checked in with dynadot and they indicated they were not sure. We should be looking into who will certainly participate with this program. Does anybody know of any registrars that have announced that they will participate?

Thanks for adding some clarity, but the issue still remains that it is the registrar's choice which new TLDs they want to offer as part of their services. This could either be

#1) technical in nature - some websites like Moniker way back in the day of IDN.coms first few years didn't even bother to allow registration of IDNs at all (because of technical reasons, having to rewrite code to get them to register correctly) until years after most of the other registrars. I'm not sure what kind of technical implications offering these new translits might present for the registrars.. but now that they also would have to do a double check for existing registrants, etc.. there certainly would be some coding changes needed just to make all this work. What if your registrar decides to hold off on making those changes right away.. as in during the early period of time which is the only time you can register that match? Does anyone know which registrars are already offering the new .com translits or advertising to offer them on their websites?

#2) due to choice - not all registrars want to offer every single new gTLD plain and simple, technical changes aside. Some registrars only stick to offering the tlds from the bigger registries like Donuts..

These are just things to consider now, before the time period to register matching domains approaches. It would be a tragedy if you had everything ready to go after all these years, only to find out you can't get your matches simply because of the registrar they are currently at.

squirrel
11th November 2015, 05:19 PM
This is an important point. I checked in with dynadot and they indicated they were not sure. We should be looking into who will certainly participate with this program. Does anybody know of any registrars that have announced that they will participate?

Are you saying Dynadot has yet to decide if they will participate in the launch ?

Emperor
11th November 2015, 05:41 PM
Are you saying Dynadot has yet to decide if they will participate in the launch ?

Email transcript below:

Hello,

I'm afraid we do not know yet if we will be participating. Can you check back with us?

Best Regards,
Dynadot Support Team

> Hi,
>
> I am a super bulk customer with dynadot. Please confirm that you will be participating in Verisign's IDN "Priority Access Program," whereby existing owners of IDN.com domain names have first access to IDN.idn domains of the same translation. According to the rules, a person may only participate if his/her registrar offers the service.
>
> Thank you,

squirrel
11th November 2015, 05:52 PM
Thx

Emperor
11th November 2015, 06:31 PM
Update on Dynadot chain, they indicate that they will participate:

Hello,

We will be participating, however we do not have any other information for you at this time. Please check back periodically for any updates.

Best Regards,
Dynadot Support Team

> Hello,
>
> Please let me know when I should be back in touch as the launch will be soon and the requirement to participate is that the host registrar offers the service.
>
> Thank you,

squirrel
11th November 2015, 06:43 PM
Ok, cool

DktoInc
11th November 2015, 07:47 PM
Why do they use the term "may provide" is this not 100% yet?

4. Limited Registration Period Verisign may provide a Limited Registration Period for the
Registry TLD(s). The Limited Registration Period may operate in one or two phases (Priority Access Program and/or Landrush Program), as set forth below.

TrafficDomainer
11th November 2015, 09:38 PM
I have also inquired name.com if they will be participating in Verisign's priority access program. Will update when I hear back from them. If anyone else already has the info, please share.

Thanks!

Wot
12th November 2015, 05:17 AM
Now all we will need is an interest in IDN from other than a few.

domainsell
12th November 2015, 03:44 PM
Hopefully the new interest in short names will roll over into short idn's. One character .com's should go first??

NameYourself
13th November 2015, 01:12 AM
The problem is tiered, premium pricing. If true, and unless it is something nominal and one-time all domain investment and resale potential goes straight to Verisign, and there is no point in celebrating anything. Has no one seen how this has destroyed domain investments in the other gTLDs? People paying these premium prices are fooling themselves into a speculative investment that will almost surely, never come to fruition and paying 10x 25x 100x reg fee per year. We need more clarity on the tiered pricing at this point.

clipper
13th November 2015, 02:57 AM
The problem is tiered, premium pricing. If true, and unless it is something nominal and one-time all domain investment and resale potential goes straight to Verisign, and there is no point in celebrating anything. Has no one seen how this has destroyed domain investments in the other gTLDs? People paying these premium prices are fooling themselves into a speculative investment that will almost surely, never come to fruition and paying 10x 25x 100x reg fee per year. We need more clarity on the tiered pricing at this point.

Agreed: part of what makes .com a brand and fosters a secondary market for it is its price point. That price point, however, is enforced by the Department of Commerce, which has no authority over these TLDs.

Let's not see these go the way of .みんな.

Rubber Duck
13th November 2015, 10:34 AM
Agreed: part of what makes .com a brand and fosters a secondary market for it is its price point. That price point, however, is enforced by the Department of Commerce, which has no authority over these TLDs.

Let's not see these go the way of .みんな.

Yes,that would mean failure of the New GTLDs, but that actually could be a win for existing IDN.com owners.

What has been holding back IDN.com is lack of publicity and a feeling that it is going to be superceded by something better, and that dot Com holders would miss out.

Obviously, we have rights to what we have. If Verisign make such a pigs ear of the New GTLD whilst at the same time creating huge awareness, that could play right into our lap.

Verisign need to focus on the fact that have been forced into damage limitation mode by ICANN.

13th November 2015, 05:38 PM
mixed script is not necessarily a good option for all languages (see Russian or Arabic for example)

sbe18
13th November 2015, 07:21 PM
My opinion.

I think idn.com for Chinese will just have to do for that part of my portfolio.
I think the idn.idn for com is a non starter, and I think the idn gtlds are proving to users and owners that dot com is the platinum standard.

I think Arabic is the huge winner.
The other RTL languages will follow in medium to long term.

Russian.
I think it is a winner. But I think the premium landrush and the trademark regime may be a nightmare for IDNF members who have great one word names.
Additionally, I think the Putin gov will screw with businesses who try to run idn.KOM businesses from outside the country.
For 8 years I thought the biggest political risk was the dot CN market and the opaqueness of CNNIC, but the dot RU , dot PY, and dot KOM is more distressing.

I think Japanese is a technical winner, but I hope Japanese firms will prove the branding value. The absence of the dot JP idn.idn helps here in my opinion.

I think Korean is a technical and branding winner. Friends of mine say, mobile phone users for web navigation to IDN.IDN in korean are going to be thrilled.

Thai is a huge winner.

Hindi and the other Indian languages is a winner for the millions of mobile internet phone users who do not read or speak English.

Latin ...Spanish/French/Portuguese/ sadly no change, but if EU firms would start IDN branding with their grammatically correct accents this could change.
It seems that German is the only bright light here.

I think Greek and the east european Cyrllic language name owners will be successful, but I am truly guessing here based on IDNF postings etc..

Personally, Chinese has been a massive sinkhole financially for me. Only my ASCII buying and selling has permitted my being breakeven to modestly ahead as a domain investor.

Watching the NNNNN and the LLLLL mania with Chinese buyers is headscratching.
I get the nnnnn and LLLLL are easy to pronounce, easy to type, and easy to remember. But I remain convinced that generic names as branding engines is a universal truth no matter the language.

Some form of IDN.IDN or IDN.com itself will turn out to be a good route for chinese internet marketing. It is simply painful to conclude it has taken nearly 20 years to help Chinese users to get there.

/s
Posted via Mobile Device

clipper
13th November 2015, 07:43 PM
Well, they get 11 shots to get one of these right. Let's hope they get it done before the eleventh rollout.

I'm curious as to why Japanese is the first on the block. It was the last of Verisign's IDNgTLDs to go through the application process, according to the 2012 lottery results.

Drewbert
14th November 2015, 09:19 PM
Yes, it would be interesting to find out why they decided Japanese would go first.

Could be the lack of competition. Could be the prior IDN.IDN branding a lot of Japanese websites already do.

I just hope they chose correctly, and won't screw us with premium pricing.

The weird thing is my biggest Japanese parking earner is a .net!

Rubber Duck
15th November 2015, 06:18 AM
Yes, it would be interesting to find out why they decided Japanese would go first.

Could be the lack of competition. Could be the prior IDN.IDN branding a lot of Japanese websites already do.

I just hope they chose correctly, and won't screw us with premium pricing.

The weird thing is my biggest Japanese parking earner is a .net!

Weird. Me too!

TrafficDomainer
15th November 2015, 04:10 PM
I have also inquired name.com if they will be participating in Verisign's priority access program. Will update when I hear back from them. If anyone else already has the info, please share.

Thanks!

Just heard back from name.com on their plan to participate in the Priority Access Program. Here is their response:

"Hello,

Thank you for your email! At this time, we are evaluating this release and are making an effort to be able to offer that matching, however we don't have the technical details from Verisign yet so we can't guarantee that it will be supported.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to assist!

Regards,

Jacob Eustice"

Drewbert
16th November 2015, 12:59 AM
Yikes! Mass exodus to Dynadot in 3... 2...

Rubber Duck
16th November 2015, 07:44 AM
Yikes! Mass exodus to Dynadot in 3... 2...

That happened years ago. Never liked the interface at Name.com, so instead of migrating there I went to Dynadot. Never regretted it for a moment.

Seem to remember they got expensive as well.

squirrel
16th November 2015, 01:05 PM
They were purchased by Rightside, who has their own nGTLDs (but no IDNs). Maybe that's why they're "evaluating"

TrafficDomainer
16th November 2015, 03:48 PM
They were purchased by Rightside, who has their own nGTLDs (but no IDNs). Maybe that's why they're "evaluating"

Name.com would no doubt lose a lot of IDN business to Dynadot if they don't participate in Verisign Priority Access program. They are probably #1 or #2 in terms of the number of IDN registrations. As they said they are "making an effort to be able to offer that matching" I think they will come through so as not to lose a substantial part of their business. Perhaps they just wanted to be cautious by saying that there is no guarantee they will be able to as they have yet to receive technical details from Verisign.

As far as pricing is concerned, I find them to be the most competitive if you negotiate with them. I also find their interface pretty good since they merged with domainsite.com a while ago.

clipper
17th November 2015, 09:37 PM
From 101domain.com:

Yes, we will be participating in the Priority Access Phase for this extension. We plan to start taking orders for this extension within the near future. For any further information regarding .xn--tckwe, please visit the below URL.

https://www.101domain.com/%E3%82%B3%E3%83%A0.htm

Kind Regards,
Domain Support

Emil
18th November 2015, 01:46 AM
So how does one find out about the timing of this? Will registrar like Moniker contact us or i will have to reach out to them?

NameYourself
18th November 2015, 03:42 AM
So how does one find out about the timing of this? Will registrar like Moniker contact us or i will have to reach out to them?

Lol, expecting Moniker to go the extra mile and reach out to its customers would involve planning and foresight on their part.. when we've seen in the past they have enough trouble just responding to their inbound customer complaints. I would email or call them.

Rubber Duck
18th November 2015, 06:32 AM
Yes, you can kind of see why Verisign were struggling.

squirrel
18th November 2015, 01:30 PM
Lol, expecting Moniker to go the extra mile and reach out to its customers would involve planning and foresight on their part.. when we've seen in the past they have enough trouble just responding to their inbound customer complaints. I would email or call them.

CEO Jothan Frakes owns IDNs personally, so that might help

bwhhisc
19th November 2015, 02:47 PM
Name.com/ Domainsite meeting tomorrow to review Priority Access Program implementation.
Not a 'go' yet, but appears they are anticipating supporting.

dave_5
19th November 2015, 09:00 PM
wish Verisign would publish time table for the other IDN's.

Hebrew was delegated this summer

https://www.iana.org/domains/root/db/xn--9dbq2a.html

http://whois.nic.xn--9dbq2a

Drewbert
20th November 2015, 10:12 AM
My guess is they'll wait for .コム to go through the entire process, before they launch any others.

Or, at least wait until .コム has reached step 2 of the process before they launch any more.

bwhhisc
20th November 2015, 05:42 PM
FROM NAME.COM...appears they will be participating in the Priority Access Program.
I will send more information when I receive.

Thank you for your patience in this matter. We are still awaiting the technical documentation from Versign so that we can evaluate how we can implement this product. As soon as I have an update for you, I will let you know.
Thanks,
John Rupp
Product Manager

mxfusion
23rd November 2015, 09:03 AM
CEO Jothan Frakes owns IDNs personally, so that might help

I suppose all of them own IDN, I notice that when some of the better names IDNs expire, they will reserve it for themselves.

clipper
23rd November 2015, 02:18 PM
I suppose all of them own IDN, I notice that when some of the better names IDNs expire, they will reserve it for themselves.

The costs of starting an accredited registry are modest compared to what folks here have put into IDNs.

We could rage against the inequity or take comfort in knowing what we know and having what we have. Personally, I still think we're all pretty luck to be here, whether we got here a year ago, ten years ago, or fifteen years ago.

Sometimes a deep breath and the words of the duck are helpful.

Obviously, we have rights to what we have.

squirrel
23rd November 2015, 11:27 PM

I meant to say that Jothan owned some prior to his involvement with Moniker.

Drewbert
7th December 2015, 09:44 AM
Sunrise Period: 09 December 2015 to 31 January 2016

Anyone monitoring the zone file?

squirrel
7th December 2015, 03:46 PM
I have access to it - I think -
If you need to do some checks let me know.

bwhhisc
7th December 2015, 03:47 PM
RECEIVED THIS FROM NAME.COM TODAY

Sent: Monday, December 07, 2015 11:13 AM
Subject: Re: Verisign's Priority Access Program for IDNs

Hi Bill,

We will be supporting this, but we are still waiting on technical documentation from Verisign at this time.

Once we have that we will be able to implement this so our customers can participate.

Thanks,

John Rupp
Product Manager

clipper
7th December 2015, 05:30 PM
I have access to it - I think -
If you need to do some checks let me know.

Where is it published? Through the CZDS?

squirrel
7th December 2015, 06:03 PM
For newGs yes, for .com/.net you have to apply

clipper
7th December 2015, 06:36 PM
For newGs yes, for .com/.net you have to apply

Thanks. Just got access to both last week. I'll try to do some digging.

Drewbert
7th December 2015, 08:13 PM
Thanks. Just got access to both last week. I'll try to do some digging.

That would be great. Post 'em up in a private thread as they appear please. :^)

clipper
7th December 2015, 08:13 PM
Sunrise Period: 09 December 2015 to 31 January 2016

Anyone monitoring the zone file?

It will take some time as I think any applications have to be cleared with TMCH before being registered, but I have access to it through ICANN's CZDS.