PDA

View Full Version : .コム Domain Registration Fee: $13.99 (?)

idnowner
16th December 2015, 01:00 AM
First time I saw .コム priced

https://www.101domain.com/japanese_idn_domains.htm

Clicking a little further, the price is "Starting at 13.99 USD"

WHAT THE F! ... "STARTING" at $13.99 !?!?!?!

WHAT THE F#$@ DOES THAT MEAN... SHITTYDOMAIN.コム IS $13.99.

OTHERS HIGHER???

SUCH CLARITY REALLY PISSES ME OFF.

AND BY THE WAY, WHAT DOMAINS ARE RESTRICTED, NOT ALLOWED OR UNREGISTERABLE? (OTHER THAN TRADEMARK NAMES)

monkmonkey
16th December 2015, 02:29 AM
"Starting at" relates to trademark holders.... General population is flat 13.99 starting May 2,2016

*All launch dates and pricing are tentative and subject to change

idnowner
16th December 2015, 02:43 AM
"Starting at" relates to trademark holders.... General population is flat 13.99 starting May 2,2016

*All launch dates and pricing are tentative and subject to change

Yes, but under the "Priority Access Program," it's got "Starting at 13.99 USD"

Anyway, besides the frustration for wanting to know what my price will be, if there will be premium prices, and if any of my domains will not be allowed, it appears, at least, that 101domain.com has the most information and may be the most qualified (of participating registrars in the US).

So, I'm still not confident that I will know the pricing and restrictions until February.

monkmonkey
16th December 2015, 03:10 AM
Yes, but under the "Priority Access Program," it's got "Starting at 13.99 USD"

Anyway, besides the frustration for wanting to know what my price will be, if there will be premium prices, and if any of my domains will not be allowed, it appears, at least, that 101domain.com has the most information and may be the most qualified (of participating registrars in the US).

So, I'm still not confident that I will know the pricing and restrictions until February.

I understand what you're saying now. I saw this... "Domains will be awarded on a first come first served (FCFS) basis. Certain names may be reserved or considered premium names." Looks like the bastards want to get greedy. It's still early as it's the first pricing found so hopefully enough people bitch about it cause it's not right if that's their plan.

idnowner
16th December 2015, 03:39 AM
I understand what you're saying now. I saw this... "Domains will be awarded on a first come first served (FCFS) basis. Certain names may be reserved or considered premium names." Looks like the bastards want to get greedy. It's still early as it's the first pricing found so hopefully enough people bitch about it cause it's not right if that's their plan.

BTW... It seems like 101domain.com is a piece of dog shit.

I went to 101domain.com to test out a transfer to them, from Enom.

After setting up a new account, I submitted a domain to transfer in. I was prompted to enter the authorization code, which I did.

Then I went to the shopping cart. It displayed the domain correctly at the top. It displayed the price for the transfer. And it had a big yellow "Continue" button, which I clicked.

It then refreshed the page, with the same shit on it.

I pressed "Continue" another couple of times, but it just kept going nowhere. Just displaying the cart info... with a "Continue" button that works like some 4th grade moron wrote the interface.

ANYWAY... is there a decent registrar, that actually works properly, based in the United States, that will be participating in the "Priority Access Program" for Japanese .com IDNs?

Jay
16th December 2015, 06:05 AM
is there a decent registrar, that actually works properly, based in the United States, that will be participating in the "Priority Access Program" for Japanese .com IDNs?

Can't go wrong with Dynadot. Use the code 'transferin' for $8.39 .com transfers (this month only).

Rubber Duck
16th December 2015, 06:38 AM
It is not what the registrars want to charge that matters.

It is what the registry charges the registrars that matters. Competition will deal with the rest.

The Muppets probably think they are going to be able to make 150% margin. And maybe they can on existing registrants who won't move their portfolio.

I suspect that Verisign might pitch that up a bit and then offer an initial discount. Doing it that way makes it easier to increase prices later.

bwhhisc
16th December 2015, 01:41 PM
They should charge $1- $2 to match the existing .com wtih the new .com/netgTLD ....and kick start the market in a HUGE way for existing idn.com/.netholders, and ascii.com and net holders that want in on the new gtlds. The work the prices up over the next 5 + years. That give them potential of tens of millions of registrations over the next few years, or as it stands it very well could be a relegated to the same slow start as most of the other new gtlds.

If you have to buy the .com and .gldCOM for even $8.75 each, that's $ 17.50 and there will not be much uptake from the general public IMO.

idnowner
16th December 2015, 02:25 PM
Can't go wrong with Dynadot. Use the code 'transferin' for $8.39 .com transfers (this month only).

Hey Jay... do you use Dynadot? I try to avoid sites where the user interface looks like a bunch of 3rd grade monkeys programmed some of the interface. Such as when you click on IDNs, you get a page of DOZENS or more gTLDs with check boxes for each, with the IDN TLDs mixed in.

Rubber Duck
16th December 2015, 03:02 PM
They should charge $1- $2 to match the existing .com wtih the new .com/netgTLD ....and kick start the market in a HUGE way for existing idn.com/.netholders, and ascii.com and net holders that want in on the new gtlds. The work the prices up over the next 5 + years. That give them potential of tens of millions of registrations over the next few years, or as it stands it very well could be a relegated to the same slow start as most of the other new gtlds.

If you have to buy the .com and .gldCOM for even $8.75 each, that's $ 17.50 and there will not be much uptake from the general public IMO.

But then I would book a straight Ten Years and they would be out of pocket.

Rubber Duck
16th December 2015, 03:09 PM
Hey Jay... do you use Dynadot? I try to avoid sites where the user interface looks like a bunch of 3rd grade monkeys programmed some of the interface. Such as when you click on IDNs, you get a page of DOZENS or more gTLDs with check boxes for each, with the IDN TLDs mixed in.

Yeah, but some of it very good and getting better.

squirrel
16th December 2015, 03:11 PM

Most of us use dynadot or name.com I believe.

TrafficDomainer
16th December 2015, 04:09 PM

I would say, at least for the first year if not perpetually, they should give corresponding idn.idn domains to existing registrants free of charge as we continue to pay for regular idn.com renewals. That is a win win for them and us I believe. They will have higher uptake and momentum to build their IDN business. As said it quite a few times, I really think the THNIC model at no charge will ensure minimization of the domain split. If they charge anything they may not win against idn.th and may be shooting themselves (imho) in the foot at least for the Thai domain space.

By the way Bill, any word from Name.com if they will surely participate in priority access? Just don't want the hassle to move to Dynadot if not necessary. But if I have to , I will.

Jay
16th December 2015, 06:15 PM

Dynadot are top rate IMO. The user panel is intuitive and the info is centralized. Plus unlike some others they don't do dodgy things like default to auto renew and deliberately hide their transfer codes. Prices are competitive. I can't fault them - never had any problems with Dynadot.

bwhhisc
16th December 2015, 06:35 PM
I would say, at least for the first year if not perpetually, they should give corresponding idn.idn domains to existing registrants free of charge as we continue to pay for regular idn.com renewals. That is a win win for them and us I believe. They will have higher uptake and momentum to build their IDN business. As said it quite a few times, I really think the THNIC model at no charge will ensure minimization of the domain split. If they charge anything they may not win against idn.th and may be shooting themselves (imho) in the foot at least for the Thai domain space.

By the way Bill, any word from Name.com if they will surely participate in priority access? Just don't want the hassle to move to Dynadot if not necessary. But if I have to , I will.

Name.com says there definitely onboard, just waiting for the technical data.
I have quite a few names there too, so hoping I don't have to move them either.

idnowner
16th December 2015, 06:37 PM
Dynadot are top rate IMO. The user panel is intuitive and the info is centralized. Plus unlike some others they don't do dodgy things like default to auto renew and deliberately hide their transfer codes. Prices are competitive. I can't fault them - never had any problems with Dynadot.

Thanks for the info Jay. It just seemed how Dynadot displays domains and IDNs, it seems a little unorganized. I was ready last night to transfer to 101domain.com, but I couldn't get past the shopping cart, where I was trapped with only one option, to Continue, but got caught in their hamster wheel, which went round and round (the Continue button, just kept re-displaying the same shopping cart page, with no way out).

idnowner
17th December 2015, 12:59 AM
BTW...

Can someone please tell me where, on Dynadot's website, do they provide info about the Japanese.com IDNs and the Priority Access Period?

I know I a bit slow on the uptake here, but I could not find it.

Jay
17th December 2015, 09:56 AM
Can someone please tell me where, on Dynadot's website, do they provide info about the Japanese.com IDNs and the Priority Access Period?

Here (https://www.dynadot.com/community/blog/2015/12/verisign-idn-tld-launch-transfer-sale.html?utm_source=Newsletter+Text&utm_medium=IDN+TLD+Blog+Post&utm_campaign=Newseltter+.COM+Sales+Dec+2015).

Also, you can use code IDNDOTCOM for $5.99 registrations this month.

alpha
17th December 2015, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the info Jay. It just seemed how Dynadot displays domains and IDNs, it seems a little unorganized. I was ready last night to transfer to 101domain.com, but I couldn't get past the shopping cart, where I was trapped with only one option, to Continue, but got caught in their hamster wheel, which went round and round (the Continue button, just kept re-displaying the same shopping cart page, with no way out).

I wouldn't transfer anything yet. The last thing you want is to be locked in for the mandatory period after transfer. Wait until prices are confirmed. 101 are just guessing prices, it's just bait right now. And for the record you'd have to pay me to transfer to those clowns.

Rubber Duck
17th December 2015, 11:53 AM
I wouldn't transfer anything yet. The last thing you want is to be locked in for the mandatory period after transfer. Wait until prices are confirmed. 101 are just guessing prices, it's just bait right now. And for the record you'd have to pay me to transfer to those clowns.

Ditto

domainsell
17th December 2015, 04:01 PM
I would say, at least for the first year if not perpetually, they should give corresponding idn.idn domains to existing registrants free of charge as we continue to pay for regular idn.com renewals. That is a win win for them and us I believe. They will have higher uptake and momentum to build their IDN business. As said it quite a few times, I really think the THNIC model at no charge will ensure minimization of the domain split.

They will kill idn.com if they charge more than $1 for the translits and/or let them split.

17th December 2015, 04:33 PM
i think premium prices alone are less problematic than a split. Either split and give away the IDN for free or at least at low cost or don't split and charge premiums for IDN.

Both is the worst choice for enduser, registry, domainers and internet users.

squirrel
17th December 2015, 07:08 PM
Guys I hope you are voicing your concerns directly to Verisign or through your registrar. several of you seem disatisfied, but if you don't address the right people, it's pointless.

I posted the official VRSN blog post here, only one person commented on the blog itself. Plus it's easy to find the author's email addy.

It's the 11th hour, I just hope you take action while you can and have no regret in the future.

clipper
17th December 2015, 09:26 PM
...only one person commented on the blog itself.

Only one comment was approved. They're not posting all comments on the blog.

squirrel
17th December 2015, 11:09 PM
Only one comment was approved. They're not posting all comments on the blog.

Ah, that explains it.

Steve Clarke
17th December 2015, 11:50 PM
What about a consensus letter written that addresses all of our concerns, including the fact that we are the ones that have funded this experiment from the very start, and the high probability of a class action suit if this premium name idea gathers traction.
Signed by as many members as possible.
I give consent to use my name.

Personally I have invested close to 100K over the last 10 years, and if they think I'm going to keep quiet if they are looking for premium $$$ for names I already own, they are mistaken! Asking for an additional reg fee is bad enough!
Posted on the blog...and if they don't post it...let it be known on all the forums.

I'd be willing to write it, but I think there are better representatives with more knowledge and business acumen here than me.

Steve Clarke
18th December 2015, 12:25 AM
I was a little bit upset and tried to post a letter, however the website seems to be having problems, at the moment. Coming up with "Website is Unavailable" message.

Anyway, here's the letter I tried to post:

I would like to address the Verisign board, as a domain owner who has funded this IDN experiment for over 10 years.
I am only one, of a fairly large number of registrants that frequent IDNForums.com, and have been enthusiastic about IDN's all this time, even though we were basically shunned by the mainstream domain enthusiasts, and so called domain gurus. (all these years)
Many of my colleagues have been involved with IDNs for even longer than myself, and may I say that without our involvement, the IDN program would be "dead in the water."
We watched as the new IDN extensions jumped onto the scene, and were accepted (10 years after we had started) and we waited and waited some more. (Not Your Fault). And we still stuck with it!
We are the ones that have funded this experiment from the very start, even with delay after delay we continued to see a future, and continued to renew our IDN domains.
I realize that the main reason we have not seen anything come to fruition, as of yet is mainly because of other institutional blockages, however I am hearing things that are very troubling to myself and my colleagues.
There is an extremely high probability of a class action suit if this premium name idea gathers any traction.
I am close to the age of retirement...however because of my investments in IDNs, which looked like a solid investment, I may have to put that off for another decade or two, and I am not alone.
Personally I have invested close to 100K over the last 10 years, and I'm not going to keep quiet, and slink silently into the night, if you are going to be looking for premium $$$ for names I already own!
Asking for an additional reg fee is bad enough, in my opinion, after all we have invested already.
I hope that the board at Verisign weighs these important facts before implementing any ideas that are unfavorable to myself and my many colleagues.
It's time to reward those who stuck with you, when most would not have.

Sincerly Yours,
Steve Clarke.

domainsell
18th December 2015, 01:48 AM
I think a letter from Zak Muscovitch outlining everyone's concerns would be a good start. Or The Internet Commerce Association or any of the other lawyers familiar with domain name investments. I would certainly put in some $ towards saving the twin to a name I already own. It is crazy to let the names split.. idn.com one owner, idn.idn another owner???? nuts.

IdnHost
18th December 2015, 02:07 AM
I was a little bit upset and tried to post a letter, however the website seems to be having problems, at the moment. Coming up with "Website is Unavailable" message.

Anyway, here's the letter I tried to post:

I would like to address the Verisign board, as a domain owner who has funded this IDN experiment for over 10 years.
I am only one, of a fairly large number of registrants that frequent IDNForums.com, and have been enthusiastic about IDN's all this time, even though we were basically shunned by the mainstream domain enthusiasts, and so called domain gurus. (all these years)
Many of my colleagues have been involved with IDNs for even longer than myself, and may I say that without our involvement, the IDN program would be "dead in the water."
We watched as the new IDN extensions jumped onto the scene, and were accepted (10 years after we had started) and we waited and waited some more. (Not Your Fault). And we still stuck with it!
We are the ones that have funded this experiment from the very start, even with delay after delay we continued to see a future, and continued to renew our IDN domains.
I realize that the main reason we have not seen anything come to fruition, as of yet is mainly because of other institutional blockages, however I am hearing things that are very troubling to myself and my colleagues.
There is an extremely high probability of a class action suit if this premium name idea gathers any traction.
I am close to the age of retirement...however because of my investments in IDNs, which looked like a solid investment, I may have to put that off for another decade or two, and I am not alone.
Personally I have invested close to 100K over the last 10 years, and I'm not going to keep quiet, and slink silently into the night, if you are going to be looking for premium $$$ for names I already own!
Asking for an additional reg fee is bad enough, in my opinion, after all we have invested already.
I hope that the board at Verisign weighs these important facts before implementing any ideas that are unfavorable to myself and my many colleagues.
It's time to reward those who stuck with you, when most would not have.

Sincerly Yours,
Steve Clarke.

Personally, I think if you are going to write a letter, its best to focus not on your own experience and your inability to retire early for whatever reason, but to instead describe how this program is going to fail as a result of certain decisions at the upper level. premium fees, split idns and possibly high fees to get the translits should be the main arguments. Talk about how so far there has been very little transparency not to mention dollars spent towards advocating this program. Verisign couldn't give a rats a$$ about you, me, or anyone else in this forum. That said, they should care if you/we publicly point out the repercussions of taking certain routes.
But again, this letter would have to be well constructed and mentioned on every public forum, blog, plus emailed to every single decision maker at Verisign.

IdnHost
18th December 2015, 02:10 AM
I think a letter from Zak Muscovitch outlining everyone's concerns would be a good start. Or The Internet Commerce Association or any of the other lawyers familiar with domain name investments. I would certainly put in some $ towards saving the twin to a name I already own. It is crazy to let the names split.. idn.com one owner, idn.idn another owner???? nuts.

Also a great idea.

clipper
18th December 2015, 03:23 AM
Personally, I think if you are going to write a letter, its best to focus not on your own experience and your inability to retire early for whatever reason, but to instead describe how this program is going to fail as a result of certain decisions at the upper level. premium fees, split idns and possibly high fees to get the translits should be the main arguments. Talk about how so far there has been very little transparency not to mention dollars spent towards advocating this program. Verisign couldn't give a rats a$$ about you, me, or anyone else in this forum. That said, they should care if you/we publicly point out the repercussions of taking certain routes.
But again, this letter would have to be well constructed and mentioned on every public forum, blog, plus emailed to every single decision maker at Verisign.

I agree, except to say that there's nothing that can be done about split IDNs at this point. We already have them (楽天.com/楽天.コム), and there's nothing anyone, including Verisign, can do about it. They can't very well take generic 楽天.com from the original registrant, but they can't deny Rakuten its trademark claim to 楽天.コム.

Pricing should be the focus, and premium pricing has been a disaster in the long-term every time it has been implemented.

I think Verisign has a learning curve to deal with here and they know it: they have the infrastructure and the means and the approval to introduce 11 of these at once. There's a reason only one has been scheduled, IMO. They're testing the waters with a developed market.

TrafficDomainer
18th December 2015, 05:31 AM
I agree, except to say that there's nothing that can be done about split IDNs at this point. We already have them (楽天.com/楽天.コム), and there's nothing anyone, including Verisign, can do about it. They can't very well take generic 楽天.com from the original registrant, but they can't deny Rakuten its trademark claim to 楽天.コム.

Pricing should be the focus, and premium pricing has been a disaster in the long-term every time it has been implemented.

I think Verisign has a learning curve to deal with here and they know it: they have the infrastructure and the means and the approval to introduce 11 of these at once. There's a reason only one has been scheduled, IMO. They're testing the waters with a developed market.

Stopping the splitting is not possible because of TMs being given priority but minimizing the split is possible if they give away corresponding idn.idn at no charge to existing registrations who will continue to pay for renewals anyway. Verisign will shoot itself in the foot if they are looking for short term gain and kill any possible momentum for idn.idns

IdnHost
18th December 2015, 05:47 AM
Verisign will shoot itself in the foot if they are looking for short term gain and kill any possible momentum for idn.idns

ditto.

Rubber Duck
18th December 2015, 06:20 AM
Stopping the splitting is not possible because of TMs being given priority but minimizing the split is possible if they give away corresponding idn.idn at no charge to existing registrations who will continue to pay for renewals anyway. Verisign will shoot itself in the foot if they are looking for short term gain and kill any possible momentum for idn.idns

Not convinced that is true. Verisign have the ear of the big corporations not just in the US but around the globe. It is the recognition that those big corporate bring that brings the credibility. And they have little interest in cost. Most never even left Network Solutions who were charging them $35 a year for renewals. Moreover Asians probably think cheap is worthless. The Chinese are not buying out 3 letter domains because they are cheap. They are focusing on Dot Com and paying top dollar. Sure Dot Tuvalu or whatever it is called has big numbers, but do they ever sell for money? Absolutely not.

In my opinion those big corporates are more likely to accept the Dot Com equivalency argument, if the price is the same.

clipper
18th December 2015, 08:13 AM
Stopping the splitting is not possible because of TMs being given priority but minimizing the split is possible if they give away corresponding idn.idn at no charge to existing registrations who will continue to pay for renewals anyway.

From Verisign's perspective, what's the point of minimizing the split if we can't prevent it altogether? Amazon and Rakuten already have a .com/.コム split. The split is done. Who cares if [keyword].com/.コム are split, aside from us? If Verisign were to invest into preventing a split, it would be for the likes of Amazon and Rakuten; not for us (or our lawyers).

EDIT: not to mention registries. VRSN has to get their retailers to go along with all of its decisions, so if they make it too difficult, the registries will bail.

In an ideal world, we'd have aliasing and all the other stuff that's wasted endless hours of expensive IT time on white papers and standards for the past decade and a half, but we have to move on and be realistic about our expectations here. Free .コム is a dream that's long gone for me.

Verisign will shoot itself in the foot if they are looking for short term gain and kill any possible momentum for idn.idns

I totally agree, as premium pricing could be a death knell.

clipper
18th December 2015, 08:23 AM
As for 101's pricing: they're expensive compared to Dynadot, and their interface is painful. I'd expect Dynadot to have the same pricing for .コム as for .com.

Rubber Duck
18th December 2015, 08:38 AM
As for 101's pricing: they're expensive compared to Dynadot, and their interface is painful. I'd expect Dynadot to have the same pricing for .コム as for .com.

Dynadot is currently the market leader. They have an interest in trying to defend that position.

18th December 2015, 12:06 PM

i am not sure if Verisign care about a domainer who bought IDNs.

In that case a letter from a lawyer might be more effective.

They will mostly care about what could hurt their bottom line not ours.

The most obvious thing in my opinion:

Competition has entered the space. gTLDs. .com growth is slowing down.

Verisign needs to have a proper long term strategy for the next decade to come. Their .com brand is still a strong economic moat but even that is not invulnerable.

The IDN market presents a golden opportunity to grow their .com brand globally and locally.

If IDNs were ever to become widespread, with IDNs registrations from India, China, Japan, Russia, Korea, (mostly Asia) etc.. you could have a market that is as big as one of their core markets, the US.

We have already seen with the .TV extension that premium pricing is not a successful model. If they want promote widespread adaption they need not only replicate the .com brand, something which they have been trying to do with their transliterations, but also the pricing model.

Splitting will have even more devastating consequences. Also unlike premium pricing, it can not be undone.

If you have a business on IDN. website.コム will lose traffic to website.com, will confuse internet users and might be hell to advertise if you don't own the .com or vice-versa.

Radio advertising, how would that work out?

A hell to advertise, a heaven for Phishing.

Verisign is a leader in internet infrastructure providing secure and reliable domain names. Split domain extensions are neither secure nor reliable. Their current IDN strategy fails to replicate their successful .com model, their core business. Emulating the premium pricing strategy of their competitors is not a smart choice. Their competitors don't have a brand but need short term profits to survive.

The potential gain from premium pricing is insignificant. The potential loss,the failure to replicate their successful business model in a growth market could turn out to be far more costly over the long-term.

Rubber Duck
18th December 2015, 01:14 PM
So ICANN commited a criminal act.

So what is new?

bwhhisc
18th December 2015, 03:19 PM
Speaking for myself, I don't support any legal action against anyone and will not be participating in.

VeriSign tried to gets its "original" plan thru, but it didn't happen due to actions of others and they are putting up the best alternative. I guess they could have waited a few more years and see if they could stay the course, but I think they had to go with the best option they could get. I hope they find a way to make the gTLD price low (for existing .com and .net holders) and get market penetration, seeing as this is tacked on to purchasers most likely buying the .com also (or already own that).

No one even knew for certain what all of their new idn gTLDs would be, most were frankly surprised by some of the choices (especially Chinese) when they chose their idea of rhyming words for .com and .net. For Hebrew they had to go back and punt. I don't think IDN.com came with any express "guarantees" so just don't see how you can make a case. It is still speculative whether IDN values will go up a little, or a lot. Most of the mainstream domainer stayed away like the plague and publically panned IDNs; if their outcome was certain or guaranteed by VeriSign lots more may have gotten onboard. The fact that most didn't should have been a clue that IDNs were a speculative investment. ;)

TrafficDomainer
18th December 2015, 03:20 PM
Not convinced that is true. Verisign have the ear of the big corporations not just in the US but around the globe. It is the recognition that those big corporate bring that brings the credibility. And they have little interest in cost. Most never even left Network Solutions who were charging them $35 a year for renewals. Moreover Asians probably think cheap is worthless. The Chinese are not buying out 3 letter domains because they are cheap. They are focusing on Dot Com and paying top dollar. Sure Dot Tuvalu or whatever it is called has big numbers, but do they ever sell for money? Absolutely not.

In my opinion those big corporates are more likely to accept the Dot Com equivalency argument, if the price is the same.

I would think that Verisign's revenue combined from TM holders for IDN registrations would be nothing compared to total revenue combined from IDN generic name registrations and renewals. And if Verisign is serious to replicate their success with idn.idn in .com, minimization of split which could be over 90% of domains that are non TMs would help their bottom line for years to come and grow their market with existing idn.com registrants continuing the renewal of their domains as well.

EDIT: not to mention registries. VRSN has to get their retailers to go along with all of its decisions, so if they make it too difficult, the registries will bail.

I totally agree, as premium pricing could be a death knell.

I am not sure if giving existing registrants the option to register their corresponding idn.idn during Priority Acess at no charge is going to make it difficult for registries. At the very least giving it for free for the first year could help propel the IDN market to gather momentum.

clipper
18th December 2015, 04:58 PM
If their outcome was certain or guaranteed by VeriSign lots more may have gotten onboard. The fact that most didn't should have been a clue that IDNs were a speculative investment. ;)

Nailed it.

hanidn
18th December 2015, 09:56 PM

They know very well the IDN_in_com will be wasting space one way or another.
That’s why they want money.

Rubber Duck
19th December 2015, 06:35 AM

Yes, except in some cases that could be wrong.

hanidn
19th December 2015, 09:55 PM

a frontline blog..

http://하나.net

domainsell
20th December 2015, 07:59 PM
a frontline blog..

http://하나.net

Nice find. There are some nice developed idn.com names on the link page. Good to see idn.com is being used in Korea.

Rubber Duck
21st December 2015, 10:20 AM
As Dot Com is becoming the new Bitcoin in China, it seems increasingly likely that that IDN.IDN version will not be needed.

http://www.thedomains.com/2015/12/20/did-the-other-shoe-just-drop-chinese-are-buying-english-word-domains-too/

Unfortunately, this ASCII crowd has not understood they are being used as Currency rather than pathways to the Internet.

Drewbert
21st December 2015, 12:17 PM
Some interesting discussions going on in the comments!

bwhhisc
21st December 2015, 01:14 PM
Perhaps idn.com will become their flavor of the month someday. ;)

21st December 2015, 01:52 PM

you dont have to switch script with idn.idn

Rubber Duck
21st December 2015, 02:48 PM

Yes, except some lanaguages are compiled from Latin input. So you are not changing scripts there either.

hanidn
21st December 2015, 09:59 PM

Famous brand and easy recognition are million time important than switching keyboard or any other possible million reasons.

sbe18
21st December 2015, 10:01 PM
each nation and each language is playing out uniquely.
China with this LL , LLL, LLLL and NN NNN, NNNN buying spree.

Korea and Japan basically punting on IDN cctld's ,

China with IDN.com's being valuable is looming as valuable as one word english generic buying mentioned on the blog.

It just sucks to have had to spend 8 to 10 years of reregging and likely 2 to 5 more to wait.

mxfusion
22nd December 2015, 01:16 AM
As Dot Com is becoming the new Bitcoin in China, it seems increasingly likely that that IDN.IDN version will not be needed.

http://www.thedomains.com/2015/12/20/did-the-other-shoe-just-drop-chinese-are-buying-english-word-domains-too/

Unfortunately, this ASCII crowd has not understood they are being used as Currency rather than pathways to the Internet.

Thanks for the link. Interesting to see what they are doing to the domains currently. lol