PDA

View Full Version : Leasing out generic domain names?

mxfusion
16th December 2015, 05:05 AM
Has anyone had experience or thought of leasing out generic IDNs or any domains?

Rather than handing money to parking companies that take a big cut and Google (even bigger cut), we're left with 10% of the PPC.

Rubber Duck
16th December 2015, 07:06 AM
At one level Google are a bit of a joke. They ban perfectly good names that have only ever been parked with a reputatable sites simply because they cannot handle or even believe that amount of traffic on a lot of our IDN.

On the other hand, whilst an alternative market is beginning to evolve, notably in Russia and India, they generally still pay much more than any of the competition.

Do not expect a reversal in the slide in prices until Google are seriously concerned about market share, which at the moment they obviously are not. But do not be too dispondent. We have banned names earning up to $100 a year, which of course is peanuts. Google just don't have the Ad Customers or Infrastructure to cope with the IDN market, and that will not happen until they see somebody else eating their lunch.

Jay
16th December 2015, 09:04 PM
The problem with leasing is the uncertainty of the lessee over whether all their development work and branding will go to waste when the owner sells the domain, and how much of that development work and branding contributed to the value of the domain.

mxfusion
17th December 2015, 12:40 AM
The problem with leasing is the uncertainty of the lessee over whether all their development work and branding will go to waste when the owner sells the domain, and how much of that development work and branding contributed to the value of the domain.

How about just forward the domain?

Assuming if the lessee is a customer with an established business that sells a service or product that matches your generic domain. They would have an existing website.

domainguru
17th December 2015, 02:16 AM
I've yet to come across anyone interested in paying to lease domains.

If all they are doing is getting forwarded traffic, they aren't going to pay very much at all.

And like Jay said, they aren't going to want to take on full development of a domain if its just for a fixed period and then they lose the domain.

Its only domain owners that are going to put the resources into development. That is as it should be.

squirrel
17th December 2015, 03:43 AM
I've seen a few lease-to-own deals

sbe18
17th December 2015, 04:18 AM
elance and dev's for hire sites offer 75/25 or 80/20 split contract offers etc..
Posted via Mobile Device

domainguru
17th December 2015, 11:40 PM
Sorry, I should have added "IDN" to "domains", as I was really just talking within our IDN niche.

Given that our members have owned some amazing keywords in the IDN space for the last fifteen years, I think we would have a few leasing success stories on this forum.

But nothing. Proof of the pudding and all that!

Rubber Duck
18th December 2015, 06:13 AM
Sorry, I should have added "IDN" to "domains", as I was really just talking within our IDN niche.

Given that our members have owned some amazing keywords in the IDN space for the last fifteen years, I think we would have a few leasing success stories on this forum.

But nothing. Proof of the pudding and all that!

Nobody else is interested at this point in time, which may actually be working to our advantage in the short-term.

You only have to look at the list Frank has put for auction and the enthuisiasm for frankly quite a bunch of mediocre names to understand that it is not about quality, it is about concept. Yet, I am sure a lot of mine get much more type in than those he is trying to auction off.

Nothing will happen until Verisigin decide to move the needle. Can they do it? Well, I believe so, but as you say the proof is in the pudding.

18th December 2015, 12:57 PM
Nobody else is interested at this point in time, which may actually be working to our advantage in the short-term.

You only have to look at the list Frank has put for auction and the enthuisiasm for frankly quite a bunch of mediocre names to understand that it is not about quality, it is about concept. Yet, I am sure a lot of mine get much more type in than those he is trying to auction off.

Nothing will happen until Verisigin decide to move the needle. Can they do it? Well, I believe so, but as you say the proof is in the pudding.

the question is: why is Frank trying to sell them at a domain conference with no reserve? Seems to be the worst place if you want to get a decent price for them.

Rubber Duck
18th December 2015, 01:16 PM
A lot of these guys are lamenting the demise of TRAFFICS.

This is their Plan B.

mxfusion
6th February 2016, 04:29 AM
I've yet to come across anyone interested in paying to lease domains.

If all they are doing is getting forwarded traffic, they aren't going to pay very much at all.

And like Jay said, they aren't going to want to take on full development of a domain if its just for a fixed period and then they lose the domain.

Its only domain owners that are going to put the resources into development. That is as it should be.

Coincidentally, without even contacting them, the end user of my domain actually sent me an email offering to buy the domain. He didn't own the domain but used the IDN.com for website branding. He owned a variant of the ascii.com transliteration.

Knowing that end users usually won't actually want to pay for a domain, I told him I haven't thought of selling that name but I can lease the webpage on that domain to him. Let's see what happens next. :lol:

domainguru
6th February 2016, 06:49 AM
Coincidentally, without even contacting them, the end user of my domain actually sent me an email offering to buy the domain. He didn't own the domain but used the IDN.com for website branding. He owned a variant of the ascii.com transliteration.

Knowing that end users usually won't actually want to pay for a domain, I told him I haven't thought of selling that name but I can lease the webpage on that domain to him. Let's see what happens next. :lol:

I can make a wild guess :no: