PDA

View Full Version : Thai: These right?

clipper
5th January 2016, 12:41 PM
There's been a lot of activity in Thai lately, with a nice Geo sale and a few questionable translations for sale.

Just wanted to check on some recent regs and if they are prime terms. Not sure if they're transliterations or native terms, or if they're prime, and if they have commercial applications:

อนิเมะ - Anime - seems to get a lot of searches. Assuming it's a translit of the Japanese.
รอยสัก - Tattoo - I know tattoos are an important part of Thai culture, but is this a prime term? Is it commercial? Native term or translit?
สงคราม - War - are we looking at search results that are pretty much dependent on the instability within the country?
แป้นพิมพ์ - Keyboard - translit? both computer peripheral and musical instrument, or just one?

Any comments are appreciated.

domainguru
6th January 2016, 07:40 AM
best advice I have is to look up the english term in thai2english.com

Then you will see pretty clear whether it is prime term, only term, one of many terms etc.

For example:

http://www.thai2english.com/dictionary/tattoo.html

you will see there is only one term for it, and you have the noun. The verb is different.

Whether the term originated as a translit is not really relevant. Only the term's popularity is relevance.

domainguru
6th January 2016, 07:41 AM
also to distinguish meaning, use google images ... putting your "แป้นพิมพ์" into google images will clear up the meaning very quickly

bwhhisc
6th January 2016, 12:48 PM
There's been a lot of activity in Thai lately,

Seeing multiple IDN inquiries from Thailand, but lowball offers.

TrafficDomainer
6th January 2016, 05:24 PM
Seeing multiple IDN inquiries from Thailand, but lowball offers.

Lowball offers are common for Thai IDNs, even prime terms but the end prices could be much higher depending on who is buying it. Just to give you an example, I had an offer that started at $100 and it was sold at $3,500. So if the domain you have an inquiry for has good commercial prospect, keep firm until the price is satisfactory.

domainguru
7th January 2016, 04:18 AM
Yeah I just sold a Thai geo to end user for $500, doesn't sound much but the province is 1/10 size of Chiang Mai and less tourism. The [chiangmai].com sale price is looking more of a bargain every minute ;-)

But I do agree with Thais its incredibly difficult to have a sense of what they can really afford. It took me a long time to negotiate up from $100 to $500 and I was pretty sure by chatting to the guy throughout this was really all he could afford at the time.

clipper
7th January 2016, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the responses. I do think Chingmai was a bargain, but...

But I do agree with Thais its incredibly difficult to have a sense of what they can really afford. It took me a long time to negotiate up from $100 to $500 and I was pretty sure by chatting to the guy throughout this was really all he could afford at the time.

This pretty much nails it.