PDA

View Full Version : Have .com endusers ever been informed of .コム?

puyang
21st March 2016, 12:27 AM
I'm wondering whether Japanese .com endusers are informed of .コム launch by Verisign, or not?

Ryu
21st March 2016, 03:33 AM
Not that I know of, tho if one visits Onamae, s/he could learn about it.

Rubber Duck
21st March 2016, 08:47 AM
Not by Verisign.

Some Western Registrars informed their Clients but overall performance has been apalling and in most cases all correspondence such as their was would have been in English.

Cannot comment on Japanese Registrars but if communication was better than patchy, I would be astounded.

This is the interesting thing. Verisign is relying on information that was never published to back out of ostensibly bona fide transactions. In my opinion, that is clearly illegal.

NameYourself
21st March 2016, 09:08 AM
I've only received notice from 1 of my registrars. Most still don't even have it working yet. So unless you already own a japanese idn.com at one of a handful of working registrars who actually make the effort to reach out to you, then the answer is likely, No. I have not heard of any direct notification or correspondence between Verisign and individual registrants. It all comes down to what your registrar chooses to implement, and whether or not they want to contact you. Awareness is likely very little among .com registrants as a whole.

puyang
21st March 2016, 10:49 AM
OK. This is the point. I suppose most of Japanese ASCII.com and IDN.com endusers are not aware of .コム launch. If they get informed, some may still ignore but some might be interested.
In addition, some less-educated Japanese people might be sing high praise of IDN.コム IF they are informed!

Rubber Duck
21st March 2016, 10:58 AM
Yes, and you would have thought that ICANN might have some responsibility to ensure that there was equitability of access to potential registrants, at least in languages with more direct relevance than English.

ICANN........Responsibility???.... Most about Expense claims as far as I can see!

Drewbert
21st March 2016, 12:10 PM
The Chinese wall design of the ICANN system prevents Verisign from contacting Registrants directly. Theoretically Verisign don't when know who the registrants are unless they use WHOIS to find out).

They can promote to registrants/internet users via scatter-bomb PR only.

Rubber Duck
21st March 2016, 12:36 PM
The Chinese wall design of the ICANN system prevents Verisign from contacting Registrants directly. Theoretically Verisign don't when know who the registrants are unless they use WHOIS to find out).

They can promote to registrants/internet users via scatter-bomb PR only.

I am assuming that you are using the term "Design" in its loosest possbile prosaic sense.

Drewbert
21st March 2016, 12:40 PM
Well it was designed to ensure Registrants were powerless, so they did a pretty good job.