PDA

View Full Version : Urdu, Farsi, and other arabic script languages question

sbe18
7th April 2016, 01:44 AM
Ok, another technical question on Arabic script dot com , coming in the next few quarters after this Japanese disaster passes through general availability.

I was looking at :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabic_script

Since the .كوم (xn--fhbei) was announced, did Verisign or Icann ever list that this gtld was going to be used for languages other than Arabic itself ?

I know that ascii / idn is now going to be used with all 11 new IDN dot com/net gtlds.

It is just that I never saw materials from ICANN or Verisign that have ever mentioned Urdu, Farsi or Arabic script languages in a general sense.

I went throught the pdf's that I have, searched here, and went through through a few of the wikis and didn't see anything.

I play darts...at a pub, and paired up last night for 701/1001 with a few Pakistanis and Iranians who teach at a nearby university in engineering.

( and to the Pommies...yes I know who Phil Taylor is, so that I can prove that I am not a Yank darts wanker....(grin) and can be good at 20 double 19 with 3 beers....then unfortunately double 4's, 2's, and 1's by beer #5 or Macallans shot #4.

They had no idea of IDN's coming for Urdu or Farsi. No shock there.

They think a lot of mobile web sites with Urdu or Farsi are being developed,
and that IDN marketing in the next few years would be welcome.
Especially for finance and local ecommerce.

Anyway.

They understood .كوم (xn--fhbei) as dot com straight ahead.

So they want to dabble.

Urdu and Farsi are going to need hyphens just like Arabic for 2 words and above.

I passed on diacritics, and specific characters specific to each language additionally.

2ndly:

Has anyone gone more than a dozen deep on Urdu or Farsi here ?

thanks.

Steve

Rubber Duck
7th April 2016, 04:52 AM
Urdu is almost a dialect of Farsi. Many words are the same.

They both use an extended version of Arabic Script.

As you will be able to register any second level string against the first level, the language is irrelevant. As all of the Arabic characters in the extension are valid then this is the Urdu and Farsi event as well. There is not going to be another one.

I had loads at one point but I have recently thinned out on a traffic basis so I guess most of them will drop at some point. Don't really know to be honest, as they are are all muddled up with Arabic which also has a lot of common words with both.

sbe18
7th April 2016, 06:24 AM
As you will be able to register any second level string against the first level, the language is irrelevant.
----------------------

Yes, thanks David.
I have several with high search numbers, but very little parking traffic.
Those are the only ones I will be keeping.
I just believe that I might get pounded with a premium price when Verisign finally gets around to this particular gtld.
cheers,
s/

Drewbert
7th April 2016, 07:03 AM
I just believe that I might get pounded with a premium price when Verisign finally gets around to this particular gtld.
cheers,
s/

Hmmmm. I wonder if you tried to reg it in .コム whether it would show a premium price or not?

Rubber Duck
7th April 2016, 09:00 AM
Hmmmm. I wonder if you tried to reg it in .コム whether it would show a premium price or not?

Are you suggesting there is one List for all the Extensions?

Would make sense in a way, but if they were that organised why can we not make sense of the what comes up?

Jay
7th April 2016, 01:04 PM
They understood .كوم (xn--fhbei) as dot com straight ahead.

Apparently .كوم looks the same or very similar in Arabic, Farsi and Urdu but the input is different. Doubt .كوم can be typed in with a Farsi or Urdu keyboard, but not sure about this. It doesn't matter for a hyperlink or Google listing, so worth a punt I reckon. I've got a few Farsi ones.

Jay
7th April 2016, 01:05 PM

No - not yet anyway. Give those vultures some time to think up more ways to screw us over.