PDA

View Full Version : .닷컴 and .닷넷 coming down the pike

Drewbert
14th April 2016, 01:07 PM
Verisign's going .com and .net in Korean...

.닷컴 and .닷넷

TM's get 16 May to 19 June

Priority access 20 June - 15 August.

sbe18
14th April 2016, 10:06 PM
do you have the Verisign PR url ?
only the Japanese stuff is still there.

thanks.

s/

Drewbert
15th April 2016, 11:44 AM
I just saw them pop up on http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/program-status/sunrise-claims-periods/

Drewbert
16th May 2016, 12:06 AM
TM availability period has just begun.

Drewbert
18th May 2016, 03:17 AM
58 registrations so far.

Drewbert
20th May 2016, 06:27 AM
Total now 85. 27 from Korea.

Probably mostly ASCII.

Drewbert
20th June 2016, 10:36 PM
End of TM sunrise, start of priority in about 1.5 hours?

Looks like 160 domains regged during that period.

alibuba
21st June 2016, 01:56 AM
Does anyone know if Dynadot has these ready for registration for Priority? If so where?

.닷컴 and .닷넷

TM's get 16 May to 19 June

Priority access 20 June - 15 August.

Drewbert
21st June 2016, 02:11 AM
Word on the street is that Verisign is late delivering the "premium" price list.

Again.

sbe18
21st June 2016, 02:34 AM
they need to turn off the Psy Gangnum Style video, and get back to work

22nd June 2016, 12:17 PM
Word on the street is that Verisign is late delivering the "premium" price list.

Again.

Is there a way to preview the premium prices for .닷컴 and .닷넷?

Rubber Duck
22nd June 2016, 12:28 PM
Is there a way to preview the premium prices for .닷컴 and .닷넷?

That would be...well...err...too....Fair.

AWS
22nd June 2016, 08:50 PM
Now it works at Dynadot, but what the fuck...

Total: $39207.90 USD for all!

13800 USD for a single domain... What a bad joke...

IdnHost
22nd June 2016, 11:03 PM

Another one bites the dust.

alibuba
23rd June 2016, 12:13 AM
_____.닷넷

Error Priority Access until Mon, 15 Aug 2016 17:00:00 PST.

_____.닷컴
Available $12.25

coms seem to be not working yet but the net is available

AWS
23rd June 2016, 12:23 AM
Login and use the IDN Bulk Search, then it will work (if you own a matching domain).

Btw. missed ONE. Total is now: 53007.90 USD
HAHAHA... so crazy...

Drewbert
23rd June 2016, 12:30 AM

Holy crap, you must have some good ones!

I forked out the $172.50 extortion fee for 휴대폰, still deciding whether to do the same for 캐나다. The rest of mine (all 10 of them) were base reg, so must suck majorly.

alibuba
23rd June 2016, 02:30 AM
Is this premium pricing a temporary thing or is this what we are stuck with. I have some names that are $700??

domainsell
23rd June 2016, 03:26 AM
$345 for a korean domain I already own??!!??!! This is extortion. The korean equivalent or any .com equivalent should be priced no higher than the existing .com version. This is legal extortion. Unbelievable. They know you have to buy it so guess what, time to rip people off. Unbelievable failure.

sbe18
23rd June 2016, 04:05 AM
I spoke with 3 Korean exchange students today at University of Michigan.
3 opinions.
1- explaining the new gtld's is not easy verbally. Because it sounds like "dot dot net"
and "dot dot com" in Korean when you say the names.
2- one person knew about IDN's a little bit. This person thinks one character TLD's for net and com would be better, but knew that CJK one character names is fouled up by ICANN etc.
3- everyone in Korea is comfortable with .KR, .CO.KR, and .COM so the need for IDN.IDN is really not that big of a deal. But understood that branding and advertisers might prefer IDN.IDN but he thought users could care less.

I am facing several thousand dollars, just like my Japanese.
what a clusterfuck.
s/e

23rd June 2016, 04:44 AM
3- everyone in Korea is comfortable with .KR, .CO.KR, and .COM so

They do have also an .IDN I think which could be better compared to this one.

Jay
23rd June 2016, 06:48 AM
They do have also an .IDN I think which could be better compared to this one.

Yeah .한국, but it's expensive

That said, the premium pricing with these Verisign domains is beyond a joke.

23rd June 2016, 09:31 AM
Yeah .한국, but it's expensive

That said, the premium pricing with these Verisign domains is beyond a joke.

it would be more acceptable if it were for the "real" korean .com not for dotdotcom.

This one fails the radio test IMO. Visit dotdotcom now. :confused:

You will lose traffic to .com and to .컴 or ...컴 or ..com and confuse your visitors.

Jay
23rd June 2016, 11:33 AM
Visit dotdotcom now. :confused:

They might think the announcer has a stutter :-D

clipper
23rd June 2016, 02:10 PM
I forked out the $172.50 extortion fee for 휴대폰, still deciding whether to do the same for 캐나다. The rest of mine (all 10 of them) were base reg, so must suck majorly.

They seem to have a closer approximation to what we consider "premium" Korean names than they did with Japanese. Country names in Japanese are not premium in .コム.

Rubber Duck
23rd June 2016, 02:30 PM
They seem to have a closer approximation to what we consider "premium" Korean names than they did with Japanese. Country names in Japanese are not premium in .コム.

Well, if they had Korean's doing the Japanese, then presumably they did not go for Japanese doing the Korean. :lol:

idnowner
23rd June 2016, 04:12 PM
it would be more acceptable if it were for the "real" korean .com not for dotdotcom.

You will lose traffic to .com and to .컴 or ...컴 or ..com and confuse your visitors.

Attention Korean Radio Announcers, please pronounce ".닷컴" as:

"punctuation mark dot, word dot, com"

Jay
23rd June 2016, 04:50 PM
"punctuation mark dot, word dot, com"

Worse than that actually. "Punctuation mark dot, Korean word for dot, Korean sound for com"

idnowner
23rd June 2016, 04:59 PM
Worse than that actually. "Punctuation mark dot, Korean word for dot, Korean sound for com"

Thanks for the correction, Jay.

Perhaps Verisign should have come up with something that made better sense.

Such as .오리너구리

domainsell
24th June 2016, 01:46 PM
Verisign is turning idn.com names into worthless phishing sites. When 2 people own versions of the same name that name is worthless imo. What company would invest a penny in a name that has the idn.idn version owned by someone else?????
Verisign just killed the income stream that has fed it for years. Colossal f#ck@p, the bunch over at Verisign are IDIOTS!!! Great job pinheads!!!!!! You killed idn.com!!! Bravo!!! Bravo!!!!

I wonder what the "Snow's" premium pricing bill is. Millions probably for the idn.idn names they already control in idn.com. Nasty business. Verisign should be shut down for trying to extort this money from existing registrants.

Rubber Duck
24th June 2016, 03:49 PM
Yeah, probably the only way back from here is a string of UDRPs handing the new version straight over to the original registrants. Of course that doesn't really get Verisign off the hook. The word Fraud spring to mind.

domainsell
24th June 2016, 03:55 PM
Yeah, probably the only way back from here is a string of UDRPs handing the new version straight over to the original registrants. Of course that doesn't really get Verisign off the hook. The word Fraud spring to mind.

That's a good idea and Verisign can pay all of the udrp fees. They obviously are unable to manage the names properly.

24th June 2016, 04:19 PM
That's a good idea and Verisign can pay all of the udrp fees. They obviously are unable to manage the names properly.

I think it is mostly ICANN's fault.

ICANN:

-Refusing to allow bundling of IDN.com and IDN.IDN
-Prohibiting 1 char .IDN
-Releasing 1000 extensions and allowing registries to premium price without any regulation

Verisign:

-Making use of premium pricing
- Screwing up japanese launch

Without ICANN none of this would have ever happened. With bundling they would likely never have thought of using premium pricing and without the NGTLDs it wouldn't have been common practice.

I think most of what ICANN did was directly or indirectly caused by their sell-out program, the nGTLDs. They sold out and damaged everything in the process including IDN.

It's not just IDN that got damaged. The DNS is a chaos, we have an every growing number of extensions that no one needs. Most of the money in nGTLD so far is in ripping-off overly protective TM holders forcing them to register their mark in any .horseshit that is available, selling overpriced "premium" junk and selling lottery tickets to domainers. All made possible by ICANN.

Jay
24th June 2016, 05:03 PM
I think it is mostly ICANN's fault.

ICANN are the culprits for sure. Everything Verisign are doing was made permissible by ICANN who threw out the protections to .com holders that Verisign originally proposed to ensure.

UDRP? Not unless you are trademark holder.

domainsell
24th June 2016, 05:21 PM
What's with the "premium" pricing. They do have control over that and guess what they decide to do? F#ck the registrants that have been paying their dinner bill for over a decade. A real classy bunch over there..........

24th June 2016, 05:47 PM
What's with the "premium" pricing. They do have control over that and guess what they decide to do? F#ck the registrants that have been paying their dinner bill for over a decade. A real classy bunch over there..........

Public company. They did it not because they needed the money but to make the shareholders happy. With the 7 Billion market cap they don't need the few 100k they might make with premium prices.

They wanted to show how well run they are and how they are not falling behind the nGTLDs and to cover expenses of their .IDN program.

The shareholders probably thought: great management they are not leaving money on the table. :-o

Jay
24th June 2016, 07:13 PM
They wanted to show how well run they are and how they are not falling behind the nGTLDs and to cover expenses of their .IDN program

Exactly. Any loss on their .IDNs would be financially immaterial, but it would signal a misstep to their shareholders.

sbe18
24th June 2016, 11:19 PM
I really think each IDNer here needs to contribute their portfolio theories to help veterans and new members to proceed into 2017 and further.

When I started IDNs in 2007, I really thought Chinese would take off in 2009, based on the PRC govt using IDN.IDN for government sites in the short term.

I even thought cctld IDN.IDN in Japan and Korea would follow China by 2010 or so.

I thought Arabic and Russian IDN's would gain popularity with proof in cctld use.

At this point, I still think Arabic and Russian are important and relevant markets if
my modest portfolios in these 2 avoid premium punishment.

RE: China.

I am looking at culling the herd one more time. But adding IDN.cn and IDN.IDN's of dot zhongguo and dot gongsi to match a few of my dot com IDN.com's.

I am pondering whether having a trio of com/CN/zhongguo for a premium term is a fair play rather then taking $13,000 flyers on CJK idn.idn's that Verisign is pissing on.

clipper
25th June 2016, 03:38 AM
]I am pondering whether having a trio of com/CN/zhongguo for a premium term is a fair play rather then taking $13,000 flyers on CJK idn.idn's that Verisign is pissing on.

I would do that before paying any premium to Verisign. My plan is only to reg non-premiums going forward. I only regged one so far, and it was refunded. :no:

Rubber Duck
25th June 2016, 08:24 AM
Verisign needs a clear Fail
China will be that Fail.

clipper
25th June 2016, 07:23 PM
Verisign needs a clear Fail
China will be that Fail.

There are already so many Chinese TLDs that my expectations are very low for China. I expect them to roll it out last, after they've screwed up every other language.

What's clear is that their pricing structure might be fine in the US and Europe, but it's not compatible with ROW. Onamae is still selling .コム at a discount, very likely at a loss.

hanidn
25th June 2016, 10:30 PM
!!! Great job pinheads!!!!!! You killed idn.com!!! Bravo!!! Bravo!!!!

They did not kill the IDN.com because .com and .닷컴 are totally different GTLDs like .com and .xyz.

So, they just wasted the IDN.IDN_com.

Drewbert
25th June 2016, 11:42 PM
Proportion of Japanese [IDN].com to [IDN].コム is difficult to measure due to Chinese sharing some of the character set.

Proportion of Korean [IDN].com to [IDN].닷컴 can be easily measured (Hangul Unicode range)

Might be worth doing. A low conversion rate might point to a pricing failure - convincing Verisign (via Registrars?) to try a different tack on the next one to be released - perhaps no premiums and a special offer during priority reg of a $1 "collect the set" opportunity.

If that caused a much higher conversion rate...

domainsell
27th June 2016, 04:32 PM
They did not kill the IDN.com because .com and .닷컴 are totally different GTLDs like .com and .xyz.

So, they just wasted the IDN.IDN_com.

Ok, they wasted idn.idn which dilutes the value of all of the idn.com names. Everyone has been holding idn.com because they were told they would get the idn.idn version. Both extensions have been damaged and will cause major confusion if owned by separate parties.

Drewbert
27th June 2016, 10:48 PM
Ok, they wasted idn.idn which dilutes the value of all of the idn.com names. Everyone has been holding idn.com because they were told they would get the idn.idn version. Both extensions have been damaged and will cause major confusion if owned by separate parties.

Especially once .컴 appears in 10-15 years time.

hanidn
28th June 2016, 05:44 AM

Do you confuse the .com and .닷컴 ?

I don’t confuse those Even though I am a Korean native.

If you are a English native, I guess you don’t confuse .닷컴 and .com.

Maybe verbally confused but they will be converged to .com is more famous and educated widely.

If any site owner advertises .닷컴 or .컴 on radio, all consumers will type and visit .com site unintentionally.

That's why they can not advertise the .닷컴 or .컴 visually or verbally.

IDN.IDN_coms will never enter the mainstream.

domainsell
28th June 2016, 01:57 PM
Do you confuse the .com and .닷컴 ?

I don’t confuse those Even though I am a Korean native.

If you are a English native, I guess you don’t confuse .닷컴 and .com.

Maybe verbally confused but they will be converged to .com is more famous and educated widely.

If any site owner advertises .닷컴 or .컴 on radio, all consumers will type and visit .com site unintentionally.

That's why they can not advertise the .닷컴 or .컴 visually or verbally.

"If any site owner advertises .닷컴 or .컴 on radio, all consumers will type and visit .com site unintentionally."

Yes, at least any idn.idn traffic will most likely continue to go the the owners of the idn.com.

"Do you confuse the .com and .닷컴 ?"
No, just disappointed the names have split.

Jay
28th June 2016, 02:48 PM

At least this will separate them from the current dotcom, so this could be a positive.

Jay
28th June 2016, 02:58 PM

The radio test was broken when IDN.com was introduced over 15 years ago - there's no way (aurally) to distinguish ASCII.com from IDN.com.

At least with the addition of 닷, it can be pronounced 닷닷컴, thereby distinguishing it from .com. Maybe it will be like, "you've heard of dot com, now here comes dot dot com." Twice as good :)

Drewbert
29th June 2016, 12:22 PM
Only 360 domains regged so far. 56% from Korea.

30th June 2016, 07:02 AM

Good to hear a korean perspective on this. Which makes you wonder if IICANN/VeriVerisign ever consulted with a native speaker before deciding to go ahead with this string. :eek:

Drewbert
30th August 2016, 12:41 AM
General Availability has just been entered. Don't hold your breath.

Wot
30th August 2016, 01:57 AM
Lashed out $12.99 on SouthKorea.닷컴 ,as good or as bad as any! :)