PDA

View Full Version : WOW... How did this happen???

clipper
15th May 2016, 04:09 PM
東京.com registrar whois
Updated 14 hours ago
Domain Name: XN--1LQS71D.COM
Registry Domain ID: 43121013_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.tucows.com
Registrar URL: http://tucowsdomains.com
Updated Date: 2016-02-16T05:02:53Z
Creation Date: 2000-11-16T13:17:25Z
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2017-03-16T12:17:25Z
Registrar: TUCOWS, INC.
Registrar IANA ID: 69
Registrar Abuse Contact Email: email@tucows.com
Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.4165350123
Reseller: VSP
Domain Status: clientDeleteProhibited
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited
Domain Status: clientUpdateProhibited
Registry Registrant ID:
Registrant Name: VSP Communications
Registrant Organization: VSP
Registrant Street: 3-3-1-907 Uemachi
Registrant City: Izumisano

United States
Login
Domain
Registrar
Name Server

SEARCH
.コム

東京
SEARCH QUERY INSTRUCTIONS
Your search for 東京.コム (xn--1lqs71d.xn--tckwe) returns the below results:

Domain Name: XN--1LQS71D.XN--TCKWE
Domain ID: 122887066_DOMAIN_XN--TCKWE-VRSN
WHOIS Server: whois.lexsynergy.com
Referral URL: http://www.lexsynergy.com
Updated Date: 2016-05-15T09:16:01Z
Creation Date: 2016-05-15T09:16:01Z
Registry Expiry Date: 2017-05-15T09:16:01Z
Sponsoring Registrar: LEXSYNERGY LIMITED
Sponsoring Registrar IANA ID: 1466
Domain Status: clientDeleteProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientDeleteProhibited
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
Domain Status: clientUpdateProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientUpdateProhibited
Registrant ID: 1030649_CONTACT_XN--TCKWE-VRSN
Registrant Name: Domains Admin
Registrant Organization:
Registrant Street: 5200 N Lamar
Registrant City: Austin
Registrant State/Province: TX
Registrant Postal Code: 78751

idn
15th May 2016, 04:36 PM
東京.com registrar whois
Updated 14 hours ago
Domain Name: XN--1LQS71D.COM
Registry Domain ID: 43121013_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.tucows.com
Registrar URL: http://tucowsdomains.com
Updated Date: 2016-02-16T05:02:53Z
Creation Date: 2000-11-16T13:17:25Z
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2017-03-16T12:17:25Z
Registrar: TUCOWS, INC.
Registrar IANA ID: 69
Registrar Abuse Contact Email: email@tucows.com
Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.4165350123
Reseller: VSP
Domain Status: clientDeleteProhibited
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited
Domain Status: clientUpdateProhibited
Registry Registrant ID:
Registrant Name: VSP Communications
Registrant Organization: VSP
Registrant Street: 3-3-1-907 Uemachi
Registrant City: Izumisano

United States
Login
Domain
Registrar
Name Server

SEARCH
.コム

東京
SEARCH QUERY INSTRUCTIONS
Your search for 東京.コム (xn--1lqs71d.xn--tckwe) returns the below results:

Domain Name: XN--1LQS71D.XN--TCKWE
Domain ID: 122887066_DOMAIN_XN--TCKWE-VRSN
WHOIS Server: whois.lexsynergy.com
Referral URL: http://www.lexsynergy.com
Updated Date: 2016-05-15T09:16:01Z
Creation Date: 2016-05-15T09:16:01Z
Registry Expiry Date: 2017-05-15T09:16:01Z
Sponsoring Registrar: LEXSYNERGY LIMITED
Sponsoring Registrar IANA ID: 1466
Domain Status: clientDeleteProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientDeleteProhibited
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
Domain Status: clientUpdateProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientUpdateProhibited
Registrant ID: 1030649_CONTACT_XN--TCKWE-VRSN
Registrant Name: Domains Admin
Registrant Organization:
Registrant Street: 5200 N Lamar
Registrant City: Austin
Registrant State/Province: TX
Registrant Postal Code: 78751

Yeah, this company/guy totally beat the system somehow. Everything is so screwed up. I've pretty much threw the virtual towel in for now.

clipper
15th May 2016, 04:40 PM
This is a big problem with Verisign's whole plan.

idn
15th May 2016, 04:41 PM
This is a big problem with Verisign's whole plan.

You think!

idnowner
15th May 2016, 04:43 PM
Could have been registered in the current "priority" period, and then sold.

15th May 2016, 04:47 PM
check 不動産.コム

Domain Name: XN--IHQ79I060B.XN--TCKWE
Domain ID: 122875211_DOMAIN_XN--TCKWE-VRSN
WHOIS Server: whois.enom.com
Referral URL: http://www.enom.com
Updated Date: 2016-05-15T00:26:05Z
Creation Date: 2016-05-15T00:24:19Z
Registry Expiry Date: 2017-05-15T00:24:19Z
Sponsoring Registrar: ENOM, INC.
Sponsoring Registrar IANA ID: 48

Impossible to register because 不動産.com is blocked!!!

someone is gaming the system or the launch has already started. Screw-up or intentional?

The launch was said to start 16.5.2016

idn
15th May 2016, 04:50 PM
Could have been registered in the current "priority" period, and then sold.

It wasn't

alpha
15th May 2016, 04:52 PM
there must be a ton of registrants out there that didn't get the memo.

the com owner of トラベル (travel) didn't spend $13.99 to reg the コム
now anyone can for ~$200 + $13.99

I notice some smart cookies out there too: 地図 (map) as we know is variant blocked in .com and doesn't exist. But someone grabbed the コム

idnowner
15th May 2016, 04:53 PM
check 不動産.コム

someone is gaming the system

Now that one DOES look very suspicious!

Could be... that is a "reserved" domain to be put up for auction.

I am looking into this, right now.

15th May 2016, 04:59 PM
Now Name.com claims that the launch is 15.05

https://www.name.com/domain/search-4-2/?keyword=screwup.xn--tckwe

We got the wrong launch dates or the system allowed registrations before it should have.

idnowner
15th May 2016, 04:59 PM
It wasn't

We should still be in the "Priority" period, so why couldn't that be the answer?

squirrel
15th May 2016, 06:04 PM
check 不動産.コム

Domain Name: XN--IHQ79I060B.XN--TCKWE
Domain ID: 122875211_DOMAIN_XN--TCKWE-VRSN
WHOIS Server: whois.enom.com
Referral URL: http://www.enom.com
Updated Date: 2016-05-15T00:26:05Z
Creation Date: 2016-05-15T00:24:19Z
Registry Expiry Date: 2017-05-15T00:24:19Z
Sponsoring Registrar: ENOM, INC.
Sponsoring Registrar IANA ID: 48

Impossible to register because 不動産.com is blocked!!!

someone is gaming the system or the launch has already started. Screw-up or intentional?

The launch was said to start 16.5.2016

Interesting.. does that mean Verisign is allowing variants to be registered ?

clipper
15th May 2016, 06:04 PM
Tucows didn't participate in priority reg. The others were variant blocked. How did registrars get away with this?

clipper
15th May 2016, 06:05 PM
Do all of these names have reg dates after 0.00 UTC on 5/15. The priority was over by then.

squirrel
15th May 2016, 06:05 PM
I notice some smart cookies out there too: 地図 (map) as we know is variant blocked in .com and doesn't exist. But someone grabbed the コム

Any additional examples of variant registrations ?

squirrel
15th May 2016, 06:09 PM
Tucows didn't participate in priority reg. The others were variant blocked. How did registrars get away with this?

I imagine if the .com was not priority regged, than the variant was landrush regged w/out a problem

15th May 2016, 06:15 PM
Interesting.. does that mean Verisign is allowing variants to be registered ?

I doubt it because the owner of the variant does not seem to be related to the newly registered variant.

There is no variant blocking from .com over to .コム

The variant that wil be regged in .コム first will block the other
.コム variant.

The question is why did the landrush start before the official launch? I suppose many(including myself) had made some pre-registrations for a non-refundable $200. Now these will be submitted 12-24 hours after the launch =worthless.

Glad that I didn't order many.

Anyone who had made a pre-order some days before never had a real chance to get a sought-after domain despite paying $200 for it.

Verisign will get a lot of money from pre-regs that never result in a domain registration but they had made people pay lot just for that right.

Another slap in the face of IDN investors.

clipper
15th May 2016, 06:30 PM
The question is why did the landrush start before the official launch? I suppose many(including myself) had made some pre-registrations for a non-refundable $200. Now these will be submitted 12-24 hours after the launch =worthless.

If there were multiple landrush applicants for the same name they were supposed to go to auction at the end of landrush, so no names should be registered after 5/14 but before GA is my understanding.

clipper
15th May 2016, 06:31 PM
Any additional examples of variant registrations ?

不動産 is variant blocked.

15th May 2016, 06:43 PM
Yeah, this company/guy totally beat the system somehow. Everything is so screwed up. I've pretty much threw the virtual towel in for now.

This launch makes me think we are more like the useful idiots who finance the system and then see the domains being allocated to someone else. :eek:

Avtal
15th May 2016, 07:33 PM
Do all of these names have reg dates after 0.00 UTC on 5/15. The priority was over by then.

Are you sure about the dates? Everything I can find from Verisign on the .コム launch (for instance: https://blogs.verisign.com/blog/entry/launch_of_verisign_s_first ) suggests that Landrush begins on May 16, 0:00 UTC. That is still more than 4 hours away.

It looks to me as though some registrars mistakenly (or intentionally) started registering Landrush domains 24 hours before they should have. This may not be Verisign's fault; Verisign probably doesn't check whether a registration coming from an accredited registrar follows the agreed-upon rules for Priority Access.

So the question is: If a registrar accepted a Landrush registration before they were supposed to, will Verisign delete the registration once they become aware of the registrar's mistake?

Avtal

clipper
15th May 2016, 07:44 PM
This launch makes me think we are more like the useful idiots who finance the system and then see the domains being allocated to someone else. :eek:

Yeah, I wish I was more surprised to see this.

15th May 2016, 08:22 PM
Are you sure about the dates? Everything I can find from Verisign on the .コム launch (for instance: https://blogs.verisign.com/blog/entry/launch_of_verisign_s_first ) suggests that Landrush begins on May 16, 0:00 UTC. That is still more than 4 hours away.

It looks to me as though some registrars mistakenly (or intentionally) started registering Landrush domains 24 hours before they should have. This may not be Verisign's fault; Verisign probably doesn't check whether a registration coming from an accredited registrar follows the agreed-upon rules for Priority Access.

So the question is: If a registrar accepted a Landrush registration before they were supposed to, will Verisign delete the registration once they become aware of the registrar's mistake?

Avtal

If that was the case they would have to cancel the landrush, cancel all premature registrations alert every registrar and relaunch it at a later date.

Otherwise I see this getting a giant mess. Not to forget that they are taking non-refundable payments for a service they can't deliver because the system is bugged. I wonder if they are aware that there is a problem?

Drewbert
15th May 2016, 08:34 PM
Clusterfuck.

Drewbert
15th May 2016, 11:35 PM
Congrats to whoever got 価格.コム

I wonder why Verisign let eNom jump the gun 24 hours on the landrush start time? You would think their registry back end would be designed to prevent that sort of thing.

Drewbert
16th May 2016, 12:05 AM
Dynadot has switched to landrush at the correct time. Premium domains have around $200 added to the price.

clipper
16th May 2016, 12:46 AM
Congrats to whoever got ...

I wonder why Verisign let eNom jump the gun 24 hours on the landrush start time? You would think their registry back end would be designed to prevent that sort of thing.

SHHHHHH.... :)

Drewbert
16th May 2016, 05:02 AM
Aha!

:)

I was asleep at the wheel.

clipper
16th May 2016, 05:07 AM
Aha!

:)

I was asleep at the wheel.

Gregg killed it, as did Laurent. And our mystery man that prompted me starting this thread has revealed himself.

Here's to hoping we can keep these longer than a month.

16th May 2016, 06:09 AM
Gregg killed it, as did Laurent. And our mystery man that prompted me starting this thread has revealed himself.

This wasn't the mystery man. The first mysterious registrant deleted the domain, or it was deleted and someone else re-registered it later.

The registrar is an other.

Rubber Duck
16th May 2016, 06:24 AM
PERFECT.

Exactly what the Doctor ordered!

clipper
16th May 2016, 12:53 PM
This wasn't the mystery man. The first mysterious registrant deleted the domain, or it was deleted and someone else re-registered it later.

The registrar is an other.

Huh. Look at that registration time. Congrats to the owner.

16th May 2016, 03:28 PM
Huh. Look at that registration time. Congrats to the owner.

I meant the domain that you mentioned in the first post was first registered with LEXSYNERGY LIMITED(a registrar), then someone deleted it and after a while someone registered again with Enom.

So it had 2 different owners yesterday, one lost(or canceled) ownership though.

idn
16th May 2016, 04:12 PM
I'd be surprised if these registrations end up being valid, but I have been shocked many times before! The who idea was for these to go to auction if there was more than one party interested. I honestly cannot recall a more flawed system in my life then what I've seen in the domaining field especially with these IDNs.

Jay
16th May 2016, 04:30 PM
Verisign made it clear it was first in first served. But somehow they allowed Enom to jump the gun.

I don't expect Verisign to do squat about it. There's no profit in it for them to invalidate the registrations. They don't care one iota about being fair.

Congrats to those who regged the cream of the crop at a nice price! I can't believe the .com owners didn't reg them during the PAP. They obviously haven't been paying attention.

Avtal
16th May 2016, 05:01 PM
Verisign made it clear it was first in first served. But somehow they allowed Enom to jump the gun.

I don't expect Verisign to do squat about it. There's no profit in it for them to invalidate the registrations. They don't care one iota about being fair.

Congrats to those who regged the cream of the crop at a nice price! I can't believe the .com owners didn't reg them during the PAP. They obviously haven't been paying attention.

Verisign doesn't care what we think, but they probably care what the registrars think. And the registrars who missed out on profits because of Enom's actions are going to be annoyed. That is, if they were paying attention.

Avtal

squirrel
16th May 2016, 05:06 PM
Just complain guys, literally nothing to lose

clipper
16th May 2016, 05:09 PM

The first-come first-served thing was totally muddied by the registrars. Dynadot was totally mum on the issue until they (erroneously) switched pricing to $199, while not allowing priority regs to continue (later in the day they "fixed" the issue... I'm not even sure that was correct, since other registrars also stopped priority regs at 00:00 UTC).

101Domain has been taking landrush "preorders" for months now, and according to them, names would be awarded at the end of the landrush period and if multiple parties applied then there would be an auction (they would only take one order per name, however, so Tokyo, for instance, was spoken for at 101 before I could put in a landrush pre-order for it).

That's clearly not the case, as we're seeing actual realtime registrations from Enom, Dynadot and others.

Fees are refundable if you are not awarded the domain, according to 101domain. "Nonrefundable" only applies to the actual registrants, not losing applicants. Might have to wait for the landrush period to end, however, to see your refund.

And yes, I have $$$$ tied up in pre-regs at 101 for names I landed in real time yesterday.

Rubber Duck
16th May 2016, 05:40 PM
Anyone looking for a feason to cancel ICANNs contract need look no further.

clipper
16th May 2016, 05:49 PM
Anyone looking for a feason to cancel ICANNs contract need look no further.

The triumvirate of Verisign-ICANN-registrars makes any action very tenuous. Who's to blame? Our contracts are with registrars only, and if they misinterpret the contract or get the timing wrong it's not going to affect Verisign or ICANN. Even if the registry contracts and release notes (which we are not fully privy to) are vague, the registrars are the ones putting their necks out there.

16th May 2016, 06:16 PM
Fees are refundable if you are not awarded the domain, according to 101domain. "Nonrefundable" only applies to the actual registrants, not losing applicants. Might have to wait for the landrush period to end, however, to see your refund.

I had spoken with more than one registrar and after checking into this into detail it was claimed it was non-refundable regardless of the name being registered or not. What is refundable is the premium price that you pay.

So you have to pay $200 just to submit your "application" or just to be part of the landrush.

From my understanding the $200 is mostly not what the registrar charges for the service, most of this goes to the registry, Verisign.

tee1
16th May 2016, 06:34 PM
:sleep: So is something going on.....

It seems maybe a few members did ok, congrats. They wont do anything about enom jumping the gun.

When IDN.Biz rolled out the same thing happened, if I remember correctly. There was no correction from the registry. No one was really ticked about it either since it was .biz.
In case you have missed it, there is a registry precedence for not doing shit! :)

clipper
16th May 2016, 07:10 PM
I had spoken with more than one registrar and after checking into this into detail it was claimed it was non-refundable regardless of the name being registered or not. What is refundable is the premium price that you pay.

So you have to pay $200 just to submit your "application" or just to be part of the landrush.

From my understanding the $200 is mostly not what the registrar charges for the service, most of this goes to the registry, Verisign.

Hexonet just confirmed that they will not refund the application fee, and no auctions.

Pre-registrations do not go to auction, that is only for backorders. For .コム, there is a non-refundable fee of $170 USD in addition to the $12.80 USD refundable registration cost. If your application to the registry is not accepted, only the $12.80 cost is refunded.

Jay
16th May 2016, 07:38 PM
Hexonet just confirmed that they will not refund the application fee, and no auctions.

101domains confirm that they will refund unsuccessful pre-orders:

> Thank you for contacting 101domain regarding the registration of .コム domains.
>
> The Landrush period begins on May 16, 2016, and the domains will be awarded on a first come first served (FCFS) basis. Application fees are non-refundable during this phase if registration is successful. If the registration is unsuccessful, your fees will be refunded to you.
>
> Please let me know if I can assist with any registrations within your account.
>
>
> Best regards,
>
>
> Kimberly Darwin
> Corporate Accounts Executive
> 877.983.6624 x1024 · Toll Free US
> T : +1 858.864.1352
> F : +1 760.579.4996
> E : kimberly@101domain.com
> W: www.101domain.com

Jay
16th May 2016, 07:42 PM
I'm following up with Name.com now.

Go after any registers who don't fully refund your money. They screwed up the launch phase, so they're liable. They really should be paying out compensation for mishandling the whole process.

Rubber Duck
16th May 2016, 08:22 PM
Eitherway, no sane person is going to subscribe for Korean

16th May 2016, 08:31 PM

Go after any registers who don't fully refund your money. They screwed up the launch phase, so they're liable. They really should be paying out compensation for mishandling the whole process.

Why do you believe that they screwed up? If they were told the launch starts at 00.00 UTC and someone starts grabbing earlier they are not responsible.

Avtal
16th May 2016, 08:34 PM
Eitherway, no sane person is going to subscribe for Korean

Or they'll subscribe through Enom, because Enom knows how to get things done.

Avtal

Rubber Duck
16th May 2016, 08:52 PM
Or they'll subscribe through Enom, because Enom knows how to get things done.

Avtal

Yes, but if cheating is allowed to stand then everyone will cheat.

You cannot sensibly invest in such an enviroment.

Drewbert
16th May 2016, 09:33 PM
I have thought for a very long time that the only way to clean up the ICANN situation - which has devolved over time, would be to get the US Commerce Dept to investigate the fact that Registrars steal expiring domains and auction them off for their own benefit rather than returning them to the available pool.

That would take someone from the USA with a good understanding of govt/politics over there, to trigger an investigation.

17th May 2016, 09:07 AM
https://newgtlds.icann.org/en/program-status/sunrise-claims-periods/xn--tckwe

Important Dates

Sunrise Type: Start Date Sunrise

Sunrise Period: 09 December 2015 to 14 March 2016

Trademark Claims Period: 13 June 2016 to 11 September 2016

Additional Periods

Limited Registration Period: Landrush Program - 16 May 2016 to 12 Jun 2016

Limited Registration Period: Priority Access Program - 15 Mar 2016 to 15 May 2016

Enom was probably thinking since this is a japanese extension they will use a japanese time zone for the launch instead of UTC. :-D

Rubber Duck
17th May 2016, 09:46 AM
I am confident Verisign are already work on this......

..... to maximize their own financial gain.

Perhaps they will cancel all premature registrations and add them to well publicized Auction after Landrush has been completed.

https://newgtlds.icann.org/en/program-status/sunrise-claims-periods/xn--tckwe

Enom was probably thinking since this is a japanese extension they will use a japanese time zone for the launch instead of UTC. :-D

Jay
17th May 2016, 10:15 AM
Surely the registries don't leave it to the registrars to obey start-times. That would be chaos. The opening of registrations would have to be controlled by the registry. In which case, the stuff up would be with Verisign.

Here's my theory of what happened. I suspect that Verisign accidentally opened the registry early for landrush on the 15th, probably because their system got confused what day 0:00 belonged to (I was informed by Dynadot that some of their staff were also confused what day 0:00 belonged to). So the first names that were registered were the variant blocks and any other names that were unregistered in .com. Then when the matching phase completed in the afternoon, the registry was open for all registrations. Unlike registrars involved in the matching phase, Enom had already prepped its systems for landrush registrations, so they went active straightaway, while the others did the switchover in the afternoon and prepared for the official start-time.

I agree that discussions are probably underway atm, but I reckon they involve the registrars asking Verisign why they stuffed up and how they are going to compensate registrants who pre-ordered and are requesting refunds, as well as other losses suffered by the registrars. There's probably a lot of contract waving happening, counter-claims on who's financially liable, etc.

Rubber Duck
17th May 2016, 10:57 AM
Unfortunately, I believe that some domain that were still in Priority Access were registered by Enom as Landrush, but I accept the rest of the explanation.

Surely the registries don't leave it to the registrars to obey start-times. That would be chaos. The opening of registrations would have to be controlled by the registry. In which case, the stuff up would be with Verisign.

Here's my theory for what happened. I suspect that Verisign accidentally opened the registry early for landrush on the 15th, probably because their system got confused what day 0:00 belonged to (I was informed by Dynadot that their staff were also confused what day 0:00 belonged to). So the first names that were registered were the variant blocks. Then when the matching phase completed in the afternoon, the registry was open for all registrations. Unlike registrars involved in the matching phase, Enom had already prepped its systems for landrush registrations, so they went active straightaway, while the others prepared for the switchover and the official start-time.

I agree that discussions are probably underway atm, but I reckon they involve the registrars asking Verisign why they stuffed up and how they are going to compensate registrants who pre-ordered and are requesting refunds, as well as other losses suffered by the registrars. There's probably a lot of contract waving happening, counter-claims on who's financially liable, etc.

alpha
22nd May 2016, 11:15 AM
so the shenanigans at Enom continue.

1st they opened landrush 24hrs early as we know.

and as of today I just regged a bunch of non-premium, non-priority at $12.99. "Premium" fee still apply as before, but there's no sign of any landrush fees.

Seems they've opened GA up already.

Kent99
22nd May 2016, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the tip Alpha

Rubber Duck
22nd May 2016, 02:21 PM
Landrush is dead.

Drewbert
22nd May 2016, 10:24 PM
Excellent customer relations from the Registrars to Registrants.

htmlindex
24th May 2016, 02:29 PM
So, does it look like IDN.IDN-of-dotcom to be dead & IDN.com with the .com bit in ASCII to be the future?

squirrel
24th May 2016, 04:13 PM
A good question.

Unless there is significant marketing by VRSN or the registrars, it seems to me that either version can become the better tld in the long run. In a sense, those who will develop IDNs in the future may well decide of the outcome. Personally, for names that I own both the .com and the .idn, i so far see no reason to develop the .idn over the .com other than maybe some people will think it's more natural to have the full string in their native script...

Drewbert
24th May 2016, 08:25 PM
If you have a website that gets traffic and you happen to own both versions, redirecting the ASCII to the IDN would help with user visibility of the full IDN. That would help word get around.

If someone like Facebook or Google did it...

clipper
24th May 2016, 10:39 PM

Those companies are too smart to pimp someone else's property. Facebook made itself ubiquitous by getting other companies to put their logo on everything. And Google has its own Japanese TLD to promote. They haven't, probably because to them search market share in Japan is more important than the TLD.

sbe18
25th May 2016, 12:02 AM
So, does it look like IDN.IDN-of-dotcom to be dead & IDN.com with the .com bit in ASCII to be the future?

Verisign/ICANN rollout of idn.idn for com and net is a classic business school case study in ineptitude, venality, and carelessness.

It is really hard to tarnish a trillion dollar brand like dot com but they did.

It seems to me that the Russian and Arabic rollouts will be the best since those language communities have had TLD managers that at least want their communities to prosper and learn.

CJK is busted in my opinion. I think the IDN.com's will be preferred for a long time to come.

I might be surprised with the Korean. But I am not holding my breath.

I think you guys with
Thais, are going to do great.

squirrel
25th May 2016, 12:36 AM
If you have a website that gets traffic and you happen to own both versions, redirecting the ASCII to the IDN would help with user visibility of the full IDN. That would help word get around.

.idn is inherently riskier because VRSN could change the renewal fee of your domain to 15k with a 6 months notice.

htmlindex
25th May 2016, 05:39 AM
So the moral of the story, don't waste money buying any IDN.IDN-of-dotcom

Jay
25th May 2016, 08:11 AM

Not in my opinion.

IDN.IDN for development, IDN.com for traffic (redirected to the IDN.IDN as Drewbert advises).

If the IDN.com doesn't get traffic, I'd drop it, unless it is a prime term and you want to have both versions to offer a prospective buyer.

Rubber Duck
25th May 2016, 08:27 AM
Not in my opinion.

IDN.IDN for development, IDN.com for traffic (redirected to the IDN.IDN as Drewbert advises).

If the IDN.com doesn't get traffic, I'd drop it, unless it is a prime term and you want to have both versions to offer a prospective buyer.

As one of a few that has really spent a lot on this launch, I would say it is too early to call. IDN.IDN at the moment is a complete bust, but then IDN.com in Japanese barely has a pulse either compared to other languages.

At the moment, I am not pursuaded that IDN.IDN in Chinese is going anywhere and will probably generally sit on my hands unless they are standard reg fee.

Yes, we effectively dropped nearly everthing in IDN.com without traffic, but defining what has traffic and what does not is not that straight forward either as you have to make a guess as to how much of that traffic is just Bots, and threshold seems to vary from language to language and extension to extension.

And Yes, we have kept some dot Nets.

25th May 2016, 05:04 PM

In some cases .IDN is clearly better. It's just that it sucks from an investment perspective because of premium pricing and the fact that they don't even manage to auction the premiums properly and the fact that neither Verisign or ICANN do really seem to care about IDNs.

Drewbert
25th May 2016, 10:46 PM

Problem with that is, if the domain isn't deleted, but sold by the Registrar, the new registrant suddenly has your old domain with it's original registration date, which make for senior rights in a UDRP.

I'm about to ask Dynadot if I can have domains DELETED rather than go into their auction pool. I wonder what their answer will be?

Rubber Duck
26th May 2016, 05:19 AM
Problem with that is, if the domain isn't deleted, but sold by the Registrar, the new registrant suddenly has your old domain with it's original registration date, which make for senior rights in a UDRP.

I'm about to ask Dynadot if I can have domains DELETED rather than go into their auction pool. I wonder what their answer will be?

Not really if you have proof of ownership for prior period.

I, however, look at the IDN as an enhancement of IDN.com and ownership by another as Bad Faith Registration. It is going to be interesting to see what UDRP makes of this situation and after them no doubt the Courts. People may be scared of going after Verisign but surely not their Clients.

I intend to keep the dot coms that I have now after a cull prior to the start of Priority Access and to keep records of that cull as that was forced by financial circumstances brought about by the actionso of both Verisign and ICANN.

I still believe that Verisign probably owe me a lot of money, but until the value of this new extension is established it is difficult to prove loss. The legal view is likely to be that they are not worth anything anyway. Even if then it is going to be hard because each one is individual and its value subjective. It is going to be even harder proving loss with the drops, as at that time they had little realisable value.

Jay
7th June 2016, 08:15 AM

Go after any registers who don't fully refund your money.

Name.com has now accepted it was a screw up and has refunded my failed pre-registration fees for landrush. They emphasise however that this is a "one off".

clipper
7th June 2016, 08:56 AM
Name.com has now accepted it was a screw up and has refunded my failed pre-registration fees for landrush. They emphasise however that this is a "one off".

BS... 101 refunded me weeks ago. They didn't do you any favor.

Jay
7th June 2016, 09:45 AM
BS... 101 refunded me weeks ago. They didn't do you any favor.

Name.com has a different policy from 101 with their "priority pre-registrations". Initially they said they wouldn't refund these fees:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting name.com. I hope your day is going well!

I have included an example of what accounts look like on the search results page when customers choose to purchase the domain for Priority pre-registration (Please see attachment).

Notice the price followed by an asterisk and underneath:

* Includes $120.00 non-refundable application fee.

It is clearly listed.

Additionally the registry does not refund Name.com the application fee so we do not have the ability to refund this fee. We understand there may have made a mistake by not reading this, or misunderstanding, but in this case there is not anything we can do.

We apologize for any inconveniences this may have caused, please let us know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Best,

Dominic Dominguez
Name.com

After we threatened to complain to the consumer watchdog, they changed their tune:

Hello Jay,

I want to thank you for pushing on this and for the information about the Verisign. I checked with our devs and they confirmed a problem at Verisign with the drop. As suggested we will work it out with them (Verisign) on the refund, but in the mean time will be refunding the application fees on all the orders that were not awarded.

Please understand this was a special case, and cause, and exception. These will not be refunded under normal circumstances for name that are not awarded.

Good news is I am getting these refunded.

Sorry for the inconvenience this caused.

James Moorman
Name.com

I'm posting this in case others are in the same position and want to get a refund. Alpha got his only after asking again - they initially told him no as well.

clipper
7th June 2016, 10:01 AM
Name.com has a different policy from 101 with their "priority pre-registrations". Initially they said they wouldn't refund these fees:

After we threatened to complain to the consumer watchdog, they changed their tune:

I'm posting this in case others are in the same position and want to get a refund. Alpha got his only after asking again - they initially told him no as well.

What a pile of cocksuckers, acting like they're doing you a favor. 101 was clear that the application fee was refundable if the applicant was not given the name. This wasn't a Verisign requirement, but was clearly determined by the registrars.

Hexonet told me the same thing. I'm glad I didn't pre-reg with any of them but 101, and had some dry powder while they all sat on their hands with our money and names were getting snapped up at Enom.

I had a very favorable impression of name.com until reading this. I used to have a bunch at domainsite.com back in the day and really liked them.

clipper
7th June 2016, 10:03 AM
In a week it'll all be real clear.:eek:

Jay
7th June 2016, 05:23 PM
Well Name.com provides two types of pre-registration - normal pre-registration (with a full refund) and priority pre-registration (with an extra fee and a partial refund). What appears to be happening is 101 is only providing the normal pre-registration.

The priority pre-registration involves some sort of non-refundable service fee to Verisign to jump the queue.

None of this mattered with the previous release of course, because Enom had the jump on all of the competition by virtue of Verisign pre-releasing the names because of a system error.

techguy
7th June 2016, 08:15 PM
Surprisingly some major city names got registered yesterday, including Tokyo & Yokohama. These names were not available during the EA.

clipper
8th June 2016, 03:03 AM
Surprisingly some major city names got registered yesterday, including Tokyo & Yokohama. These names were not available during the EA.

Ho-Lee Fuck

clipper
8th June 2016, 03:37 AM
Check your Enom regs, folks. Yokohama and Kyoto were mine. Price, Taiwan...

clipper
8th June 2016, 03:44 AM
Jens Wagner is the Chief Executive Officer of 1API GmbH, as well as, being the founder and President of 1API GmbH in Homburg, Germany.

Jens is considered a foremost expert in domain industry technology and Internet systems. And though his love is 1API, Jens is also highly passionate about technology and serves on major technical discussion boards.

In 2000, Jens co-founded Key-Systems GmbH where he served as Chief Technical Officer during the company’s expansion. In June 2008, Jens left Key-Systems to focus fully on 1API and work on new technical innovations.

Talstrasse 27, 66424 Homburg, Germany

https://www.1api.net/about-us

NameYourself
8th June 2016, 05:07 AM
This is BEYOND screwed up at this point!

Screwup after screwup.. the solution to which is even more screwups screwing more people in the process!

clipper
8th June 2016, 05:20 AM
After panicking and calling Enom my mind was set at ease about Price, as it was still in my account.

When I realized there were 14 others that showed this guy in the whois, I panicked again and called them back. I was told the security team needs to look into the situation, but it appears that they were registry deleted (without notification, no email, nothing!) and their own system could be showing a delay and that whois is likely more up to date. He said that the new registration date of 7-June means the name was likely registry deleted.

Can't wait to see how many regs from Germany when Namestat updates:
https://namestat.org/xn--tckwe

Jay
8th June 2016, 07:34 AM
So yesterday Verisign deleted all of the early Enom registrations that took place before Landrush officially opened, and lucky Jens Wagner scooped the cream. I bet he couldn't believe his luck!

alpha
8th June 2016, 08:07 AM
This is BEYOND screwed up at this point!

Screwup after screwup.. the solution to which is even more screwups screwing more people in the process!

just for fun, here's my tally:

not securing the rights to the chinese .com
wrong choice of extensions. i.e no .net for Arabic
crappy choice of extension for chinese and korean with the "dot" prefix
applying for a typo spelling of the hebrew extension
botched launch of japanese
premium pricing that is randomly applied
premium pricing period that means this launch is DOA

sbe18
8th June 2016, 09:16 AM
question:
do we know pricing after Landrush ?

everything priced at $190 that was not premium priced during priority, in GA does the price fall back to priority non premium pricing ?

s/

8th June 2016, 09:46 AM
So yesterday Verisign deleted all of the early Enom registrations that took place before Landrush officially opened, and lucky Jens Wagner scooped the cream. I bet he couldn't believe his luck!

This is so all f*cked up and so unfair.

That name sounds familar btw. Isn't a guy with that name involved in running a registry?

https://icannwiki.com/Jens_Wagner

What happened to the people who spent 5 figures on premium domains with enom before the real landrush started?

Greedy stupid Enom. Thanks.

Jay
8th June 2016, 10:18 AM
Greedy stupid Enom. Thanks.

Presumably they will get a refund, but who knows? Like with Name.com, they might have to fight for it.

But given the gems that have been taken from them, I would think a refund would only be a small consolation.

NameYourself
8th June 2016, 11:20 AM
Presumably they will get a refund, but who knows? Like with Name.com, they might have to fight for it.

But given the gems that have been taken from them, I would think a refund would only be a small consolation.

A refund is a joke, I want my names back!

Drewbert
8th June 2016, 01:34 PM
just for fun, here's my tally:

not securing the rights to the chinese .com
wrong choice of extensions. i.e no .net for Arabic
crappy choice of extension for chinese and korean with the "dot" prefix
applying for a typo spelling of the hebrew extension
botched launch of japanese
premium pricing that is randomly applied
premium pricing period that means this launch is DOA

Add:

Waiting for the newGTLD phase instead of organising an earlier transition of legacy (CNOIB) IDN.TLD to IDN.IDN on security/stability grounds.
Not demanding ICANN allow single character newTLD's for CJK, forcing themselves to choose these ridiculous "dotdotcom" and "dotdotnet" options.

All in all, a spectacularly FUBAR registrant-screwing clusterfuck.

Rubber Duck
8th June 2016, 03:56 PM
No, Chinese is a Win for me.

I can save my fucking money!!!

sbe18
8th June 2016, 09:15 PM
RD is right for C, J and K... not even 4000 names so far for J.

Verisign jacked all 3 up.
Basically, Idn.com in CJK is deep in the shade. Japanese tech community is only hearing crickets.

Idn.idn for verisign's 'com' is busted by incompetance, stupidity, and greed.

let's see if they fuck up russian and arabic as well.

clipper
8th June 2016, 10:07 PM
From Verisign:

Verisign communicated with Enom previously regarding the domain names you have inquired about. If you have additional questions, please follow up with Enom directly.

Best Regards,

Bonnie
Customer Service
Verisign

idn
10th June 2016, 12:33 AM
This is all nuts.

It sure as hell didn't make sense for them just to delete all those domains. Regardless of how ridiculous the regs were in the first place.

Some of you sure are all in. Little bit of craziness, hopefulness, greediness? What is it?

Kent99
10th June 2016, 02:58 AM
A refund is a joke, I want my names back!

If your names were registered before the official start date and time, you shouldn't be surprised if they were subsequently cancelled.

Avtal
10th June 2016, 03:15 AM
If your names were registered before the official start date and time, you shouldn't be surprised if they were subsequently cancelled.

I'm not surprised that these names were deleted, but I'm surprised that Verisign did not inform the registrar before they were deleted, and that they made no announcement when the names became available again for registration.

Avtal

Kent99
10th June 2016, 03:18 AM
Yeah, me too. That's totally bogus.

clipper
10th June 2016, 03:21 AM
I'm not surprised that these names were deleted, but I'm surprised that Verisign did not inform the registrar before they were deleted, and that they made no announcement when the names became available again for registration.

Avtal

Verisign informed the registrar beforehand, but they did not inform the registrants.

Kent99
10th June 2016, 03:32 AM
Bogus man, Bogus

Rubber Duck
10th June 2016, 05:36 AM
You have to comply with the latest version of the Rules.

Rules being whatever ICANN and Verisign intend to make up at the time.

clipper
10th June 2016, 06:07 AM
http://outernets.com/service.jpg

Verisign's lack of communication with registrants is frustrating to say the least. Deferring to the registrar of record for all inquiries puts up a firewall between end users and the registry that gives the appearance of impropriety at best, collusion at worst.

So, while Bonnie was polite, her communication provided no useful information and therefore no customer service was rendered at all by Verisign.

In this case it would appear that the registrar made an error, either by allowing Priority Access registrations without a match or by allowing Landrush registrations before the period officially began (the latter was my initial understanding, but Enom suggested the former). Without better communication from the registry (ideally before the names were deleted, but AT LEAST after the fact when we contact the registry with a problem), we have no way of determining what really happened, since the only communication we receive is from the registrar, which is the party that made the error in the first place. Further, the fact that ALL of the names deleted from my account were subsequently registered personally by the CEO of another of your contracted registrars enhances the appearance of impropriety.

Your ratings scales should go from zero to ten, since one is too high a rating for your customer service capabilities.

10th June 2016, 07:32 AM
They should have deleted the names but they would have had to repeat the landrush for these names or waited for GA before making them available for registration again.

It shouldn't have been a problem, or much work to delete them and put them on a reserved list temporarily and let people grab them in GA.

Jay
10th June 2016, 07:51 AM
They should have deleted the names but they would have had to repeat the landrush for these names or waited for GA before making them available for registration again.

I honestly can't see the point of doing what they did. First, Verisign has not benefited financially from doing so. Second, it is not a fairer solution, because they simply took away the advantage that one registrar had and handed it to another (who appears to have been pre-alerted to their deletion).

All I can think of is that Verisign copped criticism from the other registrars for pre-releasing the names and came up with this ill-thought out remedy that hasn't done anyone any favours (except 'lucky' Jens).

NameYourself
10th June 2016, 04:16 PM
I honestly can't see the point of doing what they did. First, Verisign has not benefited financially from doing so. Second, it is not a fairer solution, because they simply took away the advantage that one registrar had and handed it to another (who appears to have been pre-alerted to their deletion).

All I can think of is that Verisign copped criticism from the other registrars for pre-releasing the names and came up with this ill-thought out remedy that hasn't done anyone any favours (except 'lucky' Jens).

Perhaps 'luck' has very little to do with this.

clipper
10th June 2016, 05:47 PM
Perhaps 'luck' has very little to do with this.

That's definitely not luck. We might never know what it is, but it is definitely not luck.

clipper
11th June 2016, 02:39 AM
Some of you sure are all in. Little bit of craziness, hopefulness, greediness? What is it?

At this point I think it's just for the sport of it... Like stealing paintings in Europe: Can't keep 'em, can't sell 'em, it's just trying to slip past the electronic eyes.

On the 20th I'll be checking to see which registrars screw up the Korean PAP by allowing .net holders to register the .comidn and vice-versa.

There's no way they're all going to get it right.

idn
11th June 2016, 11:08 AM
At this point I think it's just for the sport of it... Like stealing paintings in Europe: Can't keep 'em, can't sell 'em, it's just trying to slip past the electronic eyes.

On the 20th I'll be checking to see which registrars screw up the Korean PAP by allowing .net holders to register the .comidn and vice-versa.

There's no way they're all going to get it right.

I hear you. Guess there is still a little bit of that left with me as well. Except now I'm stealing crayon drawings.

So, for the short period you owned it, how was the traffic of that price.com?

clipper
11th June 2016, 09:03 PM
I hear you. Guess there is still a little bit of that left with me as well. Except now I'm stealing crayon drawings.

So, for the short period you owned it, how was the traffic of that price.com?

About 20 visits a day, under $6 total. For a name with 200k+ GAKT with extension.

We're the only ones that know about .コム.

clipper
11th June 2016, 09:13 PM
(who appears to have been pre-alerted to their deletion).

The appearance is bad, since one guy got every gem and he happens to own Hexonet.

But in reality, anyone could have had an algorithm that checked the zone file daily for drops (or even manually checking since it's a small zone -- it crossed my mind when I started seeing fluctuations in the zone on namestat... what names were dropping?) and if checked at the right time all of them could've been regged at once.

About 200 names were deleted from Enom, but I still can't get an answer from them. My ticket ended with a referral o another department, since tech support doesn't know anything about the issue.

bwhhisc
11th June 2016, 10:32 PM
The appearance is bad, since one guy got every gem and he happens to own Hexonet.

But in reality, anyone could have had an algorithm that checked the zone file daily for drops (or even manually checking since it's a small zone -- it crossed my mind when I started seeing fluctuations in the zone on namestat... what names were dropping?) and if checked at the right time all of them could've been regged at once.

About 200 names were deleted from Enom, but I still can't get an answer from them. My ticket ended with a referral o another department, since tech support doesn't know anything about the issue.

REPLY TO MY TICKET AT ENOM.
THEY SHOULD HAVE LET US KNOW 'WHEN' IT HAPPENED.
A BUNCH OF B.S., THIS WAS THEIR SCREWUP TO OPEN THE REGISTRATIONS SLIGHTLY IN ADVANCE
JUST LIKE THE BUMBLEHEADS AT NAME.COM SHUT THEIR MATCHING PROGRAM DOWN A DAY EARLY!

Response By Email (Charles M.) (06/09/2016 01:26 PM)

Hello,

XXXXXXXXX.xn--tckwe was deleted by the Registry on June 1st. The domain name was later re-registered by another Registrar. The Registry deleted the domain name because, during the Priority Registration time period (i.e. before June 1st) you are required to also own the .COM of the same domain. It appears that you did NOT own the .COM, so the Registry deleted it.

We have now issued a refund on the registration order.

Regards
Charles M
Technical Support Team

Drewbert
12th June 2016, 01:11 AM
Response By Email (Charles M.) (06/09/2016 01:26 PM)

Hello,

XXXXXXXXX.xn--tckwe was deleted by the Registry on June 1st. The domain name was later re-registered by another Registrar. The Registry deleted the domain name because, during the Priority Registration time period (i.e. before June 1st) you are required to also own the .COM of the same domain. It appears that you did NOT own the .COM, so the Registry deleted it.

We have now issued a refund on the registration order.

Regards
Charles M
Technical Support Team

Hmmm. Did eNom charge you the $199 extra for that registration?

If not, were they checking ANY registration in that period to make sure you had the .com?

If they did charge, how can they pretend it was a priority registration.

Drewbert
12th June 2016, 01:13 AM
About 20 visits a day, under $6 total. For a name with 200k+ GAKT with extension.

It's official, then.

.コム is a "long term project".

I'm glad I only forked out for a couple of low-level "premium" domains. Kept the powder dry for other TLD's.

Jay
12th June 2016, 02:15 AM
JUST LIKE THE BUMBLEHEADS AT NAME.COM SHUT THEIR MATCHING PROGRAM DOWN A DAY EARLY!

I just checked the one I registered at Name.com through priority pre-registration and it has been deleted as well.

Jay
12th June 2016, 02:40 AM

But in reality, anyone could have had an algorithm that checked the zone file daily for drops

It would be interesting to know if and when Verisign sent out an email to all the registrars to notify them of the deletions.

BTW Hexonet's slogan is "Always One Step Ahead".

clipper
12th June 2016, 05:36 AM
Let's everybody be cool and stop asking questions for another day or so. GA is right around the corner. :eek:

"Point the gun at me."

http://i.imgur.com/wXlluXo.gif

clipper
12th June 2016, 05:46 AM

IIRC, name.com, Dynadot and 101 all shut down PAP at 00:00 UTC on 15-May (12:00 am UTC), and then Dynadot opened it back up after fielding complaints. So, there seemed to be a consensus that PAP was over, which is what led me to believe that Enom was taking landrush registrations.

NameYourself
12th June 2016, 07:00 AM
PAP was over 05/15 00:00 UTC. This was advertised not just on dynadot but MANY registrars, even Verisign's own website listed 05/15 as end of PAP but without a specific UTC time. Yet the reason Verisign cited for non-compliance was that the contested names were not PAP compliant even though PAP was technically over. Not a valid basis.

No one I've talked to who had names deleted from Enom or NAME.com from 05/15 registrations was ever notified that their names would be deleted, nor was anyone given the specific time of the pending deletion (which we all found out after the fact turned out to be 06/07 13:00 UTC). Enom claimed after to have sent out an email to affected registrants on 06/02 notifying registrants of the deletions and when they could be re-registered but no one ever got it that I'm aware of and I have yet to see a valid email produced with even a subject, headers, etc.. None of us knew about it, no one was notified, yet somehow despite never registering any of the contested names or any .コム at all before 06/07 that I can find (unless it was under privacy or not in the zone), good 'ol Jens was there and ready at the minute of deletion to take all the good stuff. Just some of the loot that changed hands in a matter of seconds:

地図 map
価格 price
京都 Kyoto
東京 Tokyo
犬 dog
横浜 Yokohama
台湾 Taiwan
スニーカー sneakers
賃貸 Rent
家具 furniture
帽子 hat
広島 Hiroshima
アプリ Application
靴 shoes
住宅ローン Housing loan
写真 Photo
不動産 real estate
電話 phone
魚 fish
一 one
ペット Pet
投資 investment
ネコ cat
プリンタ Printer
銀 Silver
ゴールド gold
白金 platinum
紙 paper
油 oil
フラワーズ Flowers
富 wealth
コンピューター computer
ホーム home
ウェブ web

clipper
12th June 2016, 08:01 AM
Yolanda, be cool.

12th June 2016, 08:28 AM
this thread is just depressing.

Anyone who wanted to grab decent names in landrush never a real chance. Incredible.

Still we don't know yet if the .コム names are assets or liabilities so the winners might turn out to be losers actually.

idn
12th June 2016, 08:37 PM
PAP was over 05/15 00:00 UTC. This was advertised not just on dynadot but MANY registrars, even Verisign's own website listed 05/15 as end of PAP but without a specific UTC time. Yet the reason Verisign cited for non-compliance was that the contested names were not PAP compliant even though PAP was technically over. Not a valid basis.

No one I've talked to who had names deleted from Enom or NAME.com from 05/15 registrations was ever notified that their names would be deleted, nor was anyone given the specific time of the pending deletion (which we all found out after the fact turned out to be 06/07 13:00 UTC). Enom claimed after to have sent out an email to affected registrants on 06/02 notifying registrants of the deletions and when they could be re-registered but no one ever got it that I'm aware of and I have yet to see a valid email produced with even a subject, headers, etc.. None of us knew about it, no one was notified, yet somehow despite never registering any of the contested names or any .コム at all before 06/07 that I can find (unless it was under privacy or not in the zone), good 'ol Jens was there and ready at the minute of deletion to take all the good stuff. Just some of the loot that changed hands in a matter of seconds:

地図 map
価格 price
京都 Kyoto
東京 Tokyo
犬 dog
横浜 Yokohama
台湾 Taiwan
スニーカー sneakers
賃貸 Rent
家具 furniture
帽子 hat
広島 Hiroshima
アプリ Application
靴 shoes
住宅ローン Housing loan
写真 Photo
不動産 real estate
電話 phone
魚 fish
一 one
ペット Pet
投資 investment
ネコ cat
プリンタ Printer
銀 Silver
ゴールド gold
白金 platinum
紙 paper
油 oil
フラワーズ Flowers
富 wealth
コンピューター computer
ホーム home
ウェブ web

Strangely enough at one point in time I would have said what a score!

Now I'm not sure I would have registered many of these. There's no traffic and it is going to take unprecedented local buy in for these to have any real value.

mxfusion
14th June 2016, 02:23 AM
I hope what happened here isn't an example of what is happening in the USA otherwise, it will really be a big disappointment.

NameYourself
14th June 2016, 03:30 AM
Strangely enough at one point in time I would have said what a score!

Now I'm not sure I would have registered many of these. There's no traffic and it is going to take unprecedented local buy in for these to have any real value.

I agree, best to stick to what works.. ascii.

Rubber Duck
14th June 2016, 06:20 AM
I hope what happened here isn't an example of what is happening in the USA otherwise, it will really be a big disappointment.

It has been the USA's obcession with itself that has been the main problem all along!

It would have been better in many respects if they had kept their precious Interwebs and everyone else had collaborated on a system without their input.

clipper
16th June 2016, 12:09 AM
Huh... John Berryhill seems to shed some light on how Hexonet's CEO grabbed the goods: maybe it wasn't just an API/algo grab:

“Verisign notified all .コム registrars and then made the domain names available to all .コム registrars for registration on a first-come, first-served basis.”

Which is why they were all then snapped up by one registrar CEO who realized a bunch of premium names would be made available, leaving the corresponding idn.com domain registrants screwed.

http://domainnamewire.com/2016/06/15/domainers-say-verisign-bungled-first-idn-launch/

If Verisign notified ALL registrars, and not just name.com and Enom, then they all had info that these were dropping beforehand. Would have been nice if we were CC'd on that.

NameYourself
16th June 2016, 01:31 AM
So at the end of the day, nearly all the good stuff goes to one guy who never bought a single .コム before all this simply because he got the email as ceo of a registrar.. the same email we were all supposed to get as the registrants who did the research and made the purchases and put in preorders.. but never received that notice of deletion. The more I come to know this domain 'industry' the more I hate it.

Drewbert
16th June 2016, 05:27 AM
So at the end of the day, nearly all the good stuff goes to one guy who never bought a single .コム before all this simply because he got the email as ceo of a registrar.. the same email we were all supposed to get as the registrants who did the research and made the purchases and put in preorders.. but never received that notice of deletion. The more I come to know this domain 'industry' the more I hate it.

Trading on insider information, perhaps?

Rubber Duck
16th June 2016, 05:46 AM

Not only did he get tipped off about when names would become available, but he actually got a fucking list. Verisign effectively did his research for him.

ICANN is trade association for bloody registrars, nothing more, nothing less.

alpha
16th June 2016, 06:40 AM
Years ago Schilling described the domain industry as the wild west. He wasn't wrong there. And seems nothings changed.

Rubber Duck
16th June 2016, 08:00 AM

The advantage of going that route is that you can sit back and let the FEDs do all the hardwork, if they would only step up to the mark in the first place.