PDA

View Full Version : IDNs are dead

jacksonm
25th August 2016, 07:20 PM
They haven't really picked up since 8 years ago, have they? We had the dream, but turned out to be more like a RB pump and dump scheme. Good thing I sold al-ittihad et. al. for a load of cash before I let the rest of them drop.

Or, what do you think? Is it still alive?

Rubber Duck
25th August 2016, 08:22 PM
Funny thing is I am now seeing real world use of Czech IDN.EU.

Whats more they are characterising the down arrow as a Heart.

Drewbert
25th August 2016, 11:59 PM
Ask again in a couple of years.

Not quite time to switch off the resuscitator.

Wot
26th August 2016, 01:50 AM
Had over 500, now down to about 40,sold quite a few but dropped most.

Wot
26th August 2016, 01:52 AM
Maybe as the ngtld revolution grinds to a halt and renewals go in to free fall the market may look for alternatives, IDN may yet get traction.

Fka200
26th August 2016, 05:10 AM
Traffic has grown to a good amount. I definitely don't consider them dead... at any moment I can develop even an ASCII site and I'd have a nice flow of traffic immediately. PPC has died but the traffic has been pretty solid.

Jay
26th August 2016, 04:58 PM
PPC has died but the traffic has been pretty solid.

Same, which means the fundamentals for their success are there. What hasn't happened is recognition of that by end-users and wealthy domainers, which means that there is no healthy aftermarket. Combined with low PPC, it has made for a shaky investment, which has not produced dividends, with no guarantee it ever will. But then again, that recognition could come in an instant.

Also, few of us have seriously explored the development option, which might hold potential.

jacksonm
26th August 2016, 07:55 PM
Same, which means the fundamentals for their success are there. What hasn't happened is recognition of that by end-users and wealthy domainers, which means that there is no healthy aftermarket. Combined with low PPC, it has made for a shaky investment, which has not produced dividends, with no guarantee it ever will. But then again, that recognition could come in an instant.

Also, few of us have seriously explored the development option, which might hold potential.

And that was the LOL moment :)

clipper
27th August 2016, 10:33 AM
They haven't really picked up since 8 years ago, have they? We had the dream, but turned out to be more like a RB pump and dump scheme. Good thing I sold al-ittihad et. al. for a load of cash before I let the rest of them drop.

Or, what do you think? Is it still alive?

They've been dead for well over five years, Michael. They were in bad need of life support in '08 and never got it.

But when old faces come crawling back in here that know their potential (your alleged "load of cash"), it begs the question: what's the point of your inquiry? To come back here and kick the dirt into our wounds? To drive an already dead market deeper into the abyss?

So, yeah, as long as the old tire-kickers like yourself come along to inquire about our jalopies there may yet be hope for them.

At this point, I fear the biggest risk is political, and it's becoming more significant every quarter: populist, protectionist and nationalist trends are overtaking the global capitalist expansion that defined the last thirty years. Free trade agreements may soon give way to tariffs and embargoes. Until then, I have hope.

Jay
27th August 2016, 11:13 PM
And that was the LOL moment :)

Well at least it's been a fun (but expensive) hobby.

IDN Domains
1st September 2016, 11:49 AM
1. IDN as .com transliteration is most likely to not be THE THING. .コム just proved it.
2. IDN's are here to stay, but in a different way - in ccTLD IDN.IDN
3. As time passes by, ccTLDs (IDN.IDN) will gradually grow, while IDN.com transliterations will reach a certain number, but will be the second choice for each language.
4. In this scenario it will only makes sense to invest in the very best terms.

Drewbert
1st September 2016, 12:06 PM
1. IDN as .com transliteration is most likely to not be THE THING. .コム just proved it.

I disagree. .コム is not a good example as Verisign are promoting it as "dot com" which the Japanese write as ドットコム

They should use 終止符 when promoting it. "Shushifu com"

IDN Domains
1st September 2016, 12:40 PM
I disagree. .コム is not a good example

I hope some will do better. Which one has the most potential?
.ком? .كوم? .คอม?

Or the just launched .닷컴?

1st September 2016, 12:41 PM
2. IDN's are here to stay, but in a different way - in ccTLD IDN.IDN
3. As time passes by, ccTLDs (IDN.IDN) will gradually grow, while IDN.com transliterations will reach a certain number, but will be the second choice for each language.
4. In this scenario it will only makes sense to invest in the very best terms.

if the registry hasn't reserved them.

.닷컴 = dot dot com

IDN Domains
1st September 2016, 12:49 PM
if the registry hasn't reserved them.

Unfortunately for us, they do, as they have become the true domainers. Domainers, wanting to develop, as parking is close to zero, became the end users. And the end users? They still have no clue...

jacksonm
14th September 2016, 07:56 PM
But when old faces come crawling back in here that know their potential (your alleged "load of cash"), it begs the question: what's the point of your inquiry? To come back here and kick the dirt into our wounds? To drive an already dead market deeper into the abyss?ariffs and embargoes. Until then, I have hope.

No intention to come back and kick dirt; I was in prison for the past several years for heinous crimes against humanity. That's why I let everything drop and you didn't hear from me for a longish time.

blackpower
16th September 2016, 08:54 AM
jacksonm, I always suspected you had criminal tendencies :)
As far as idn being dead-Portuguese are doing well; I am very happy with the progress and with the end of leftists in Brazil, there is hope that the economy in Latin America picks up.
The problem all along was the assumption that .com is King- and this has proven to be false for countries where .com was not already the prime choice (like in Brazil).
Also Russians .com has proven to be a disaster imho.... I has never had many russian domains, because I always new what kind of a country Russia was.

mxfusion
17th September 2016, 08:18 AM
Ask again in a couple of years.

Not quite time to switch off the resuscitator.

Agree. In the meantime, I'm getting nearly 3x my renewal fees from parking. 80% from Japanese and Arabics.

clipper
17th September 2016, 10:31 AM
No intention to come back and kick dirt; I was in prison for the past several years for heinous crimes against humanity. That's why I let everything drop and you didn't hear from me for a longish time.

Oh, thank God, I thought you'd been abducted by billionaire rabbits and we'd have to pluck you out of their paws with our measly vulture beaks.

Jay
18th September 2016, 08:09 AM
As far as idn being dead-Portuguese are doing well

My two biggest revenue generators now are Portuguese, so go figure.

blackpower
18th September 2016, 08:26 AM
Yes, I think Portuguese are the most promising IDNs .com, because of political stability, .com being the prime choice already, recent turn of Latin America and especially Brazil to the center-right in politics and absence of religious terrorism. it's only up from here, imho!

Drewbert
18th September 2016, 08:44 AM
My two biggest revenue generators now are Portuguese, so go figure.

.com or .com.br?

Jay
18th September 2016, 04:30 PM
.com or .com.br?

.com

Spill-over traffic from ascii.

Drewbert
18th September 2016, 09:34 PM
Ah OK. The bulk of the traffic was killed off by the demise of Opera on Mobile and all the browser manufacturers taking cash from Google (especially Russian) and removing the "default to .com".

Jay
19th September 2016, 07:11 AM
Ah OK. The bulk of the traffic was killed off by the demise of Opera on Mobile and all the browser manufacturers taking cash from Google (especially Russian) and removing the "default to .com".

Yes, it would be fair to say some of the names at the top of my revenue list are winning by default :)

After a slight recovery over spring, parking revenue is on the fall again. Maybe seasonal, maybe steady decline. We'll see.

blackpower
19th September 2016, 07:52 AM

This was not a domain behavior; Portuguese are behaving as domains should- all traffic is from direct type-ins;
Half of my traffic is from developed ascii but the other half is from direct idn type-ins

jacksonm
4th October 2016, 07:32 PM
jacksonm, I always suspected you had criminal tendencies :)

Yeah, maybe so, but not quite as bad as that rubber duck dude.

Good thing that ICANN finally got free from US gov oversight.