PDA

View Full Version : Cost of living in China & Price of Domains

touchring
5th June 2006, 07:36 AM
at the moment there are no big fishes swimming in our pond. Sure there are people willing to drop 10k on the odd name, but people posting stuff for sale for 50k, 100k, 500k, 1m - are living in la-la-land.

There are good IDN generics worth 100k or more that IDNers here are holding based on 10 to 100 times projected 7-8 years natural type-in (depending on language) post IE7, but owners are not selling them yet.

I'm trying to guess who will be the first to showhand. And if buyers with that kind of money will take the bait.

you would not believe what name I have just negotiated privately (not via this forum or DNF) for less than 2k dollars. If I post it, it will send a shock wave through this forum.

Depending on where the buyer is from, $2k can be a huge sum of money. For example, if the buyer works as admin manager at Lianyungang, $2k might be 8 mth's wage, and if he works as a factory worker or shop assistant, maybe 3 year's wage.

markits
5th June 2006, 01:08 PM
Depending on where the buyer is from, $2k can be a huge sum of money. For example, if the buyer works as admin manager at Lianyungang, $2k might be 8 mth's wage, and if he works as a factory worker or shop assistant, maybe 3 year's wage.
touchring
I know you were originally from Taiwan (or Hongkong) and don't have the right information about modern mainland China, but I don't think it is acceptable to use this kind of false data. The average worker's sallary of Lianyungang is 4046 yuan (連雲港市在崗職工平均工資為4046元), that's about $500 USD per month.

alpha
5th June 2006, 01:12 PM
touchring
I know you were originally from Taiwan (or Hongkong) and don't have the right information about modern mainland China, but I don't think it is acceptable to use this kind of false data. The average worker's sallary of Lianyungang is 4046 yuan (連雲港市在崗職工平均工資為4046元), that's about $500 USD per month.

anyway, this arguement is all academic anyway, i didn't acquire my name from a poor Chinaman working in a sweat-shop. It came from an American domainer, who trades in IDN.

bwhhisc
5th June 2006, 01:14 PM
touchring

There are base factory workers in some regions of China making less than .50 cents (US) per hour, I know this firsthand from our manufacturer that supplies our custom fiberglass out of China. Not saying that a manager doesn't make the amount you state, or some regions have higher pay.

markits
5th June 2006, 01:22 PM
There are base factory workers in some regions of China making less than .50 cents (US) per hour, I know this firsthand from our manufacturer that supplies our custom fiberglass out of China. Not saying that a manager doesn't make the amount you state, or some regions have higher pay.
Totally believable, since China is just like Europe, different provinces have huge gaps in economic conditions.
But touchring was talking about Lianyungang, a city near my hometown!

Rubber Duck
5th June 2006, 01:30 PM
The point is that because of the pure demographics, it doesn't really mature whether the average worker can or ever does invest in a domain. If only one person in 100 buys a dot com then the total sold will still be close to the total number of registrations of dot coms in the US. One person in one hundred might equate to one per medium sized business.

Olney
5th June 2006, 01:30 PM
Sorry guys as being a long term member of the forum I can't really see keeping a long conversation about the Price of Chinese workers in Edwin's Japanese Portfolio thread.

I moved all post...

markits
5th June 2006, 01:56 PM
Change topic again.
Alphamale, congrats! looks like you are minted. Is the domain name a secret?

touchring
5th June 2006, 01:57 PM
Totally believable, since China is just like Europe, different provinces have huge gaps in economic conditions.
But touchring was talking about Lianyungang, a city near my hometown!

Well, your hometown is certainly in one of the most prosperous region of China, although costs are lower than in major cities like Nanjing. :) Move east 200km to Shanghai Puxi and the cost shoots to the heavens.

thegenius1
5th June 2006, 02:01 PM
Change topic again.

Unless you have been under a Mountain i think Alph has been minted , this would only be icing on the cakes

touchring
5th June 2006, 02:05 PM
touchring

I run a company with full time employees in Xiamen.

I'm referring to the average working class.

E.g. school teacher, accounts officer, admin manager.

Of cos, there are people that earn much more, e.g. sales managers, engineers working in foriegn companies, businessmen, etc.

The income range can be very wide in China depending on whether the person works for the government, works for a small private company or works for IBM or Dell, or runs a business, so on average 4046 yuan is a realistic figure.

Rubber Duck
5th June 2006, 02:11 PM
Unless you have been under a Mountain i think Alph has been minted , this would only be icing on the cakes

Yes, Alpha has some excellent names. He has not only learnt quickly and picked up some good loose registrations, but has rapidly adapted to market realities.

Arriving late on the scene and realising that most of the very good domains had already gone, he has dug deep and acquired some very good names in the seconardary market. Like new regging this is also an opportunity with a limited window.

Within months if not weeks, very good domains in the secondary market will also be disappearing out of the reach of ordinary mortals. You will be looking back just as we all do to the time when Business.com was sold for $15K. The daft things is that most of us if we had had the Nouse at the time could have bought that domain. All it would have taken would have been a bit of foresight and courage.

alpha
5th June 2006, 02:12 PM
Change topic again.

for the moment, yes because we are still escrowing.

back to the topic in hand..

so Touchring, are those salaries then relative to the cost of living, or are these people "poor".

.. and what is the gap between the rich and poor?

..in England we are all poor becuase of the tax we pay :p

.... All it would have taken would have been a bit of foresight and courage.

.. and 15 grand!

that's the point though isn't it, i'm sure most people here aren't "minted", i'm certaintly not, i'm just "resourceful" in raising the funds.

15k = 2142 individual registrations at 7$ a go, you can see why people choose to dig for gold themselves.

touchring
5th June 2006, 02:16 PM
for the moment, yes because we are still escrowing.

back to the topic in hand..

so Touchring, are those salaries then relative to the cost of living, or are these people "poor".

.. and what is the gap between the rich and poor?

..in England we are all poor becuase of the tax we pay :p

Well, it's NOT about being poor or rich - but about currency differences.

In general, highly qualified people in China can possibly live better lives than their counterparts in more developed countries, the "material aspect" at least.

alpha
5th June 2006, 02:18 PM
Well, it's about about being poor or rich, but about currency differences.

In general, highly qualified people in China live better lives than their counterparts in more developed countries.

but is it a case of the rich are very rich and poor are very poor? is there a middle-class?

sorry for the 20 questions, but it's interesting and wiki doesn't give you the facts.

Rubber Duck
5th June 2006, 02:29 PM
.. and 15 grand!

that's the point though isn't it, i'm sure most people here aren't "minted", i'm certaintly not, i'm just "resourceful" in raising the funds.

15k = 2142 individual registrations at 7$ a go, you can see why people choose to dig for gold themselves.

Yes, it certainly makes sense to turn up gold yourself, and it is still possible even in Japanese, but it is certainly getting a lot more difficult. Today, I was very pleased to turn up:

xn--5ckp3n150mugj.com データ回復 Data recovery

It has to be recognised that nuggets like this are getting pretty rare and this is a compound term and even then it doesn't really rate in the top echeleons.

Whatever, your abilities and strategies the objective has to be to fill your treasure store with some really rare jewels, rather than several tons of base metal.

touchring
5th June 2006, 02:48 PM
but is it a case of the rich are very rich and poor are very poor? is there a middle-class?

sorry for the 20 questions, but it's interesting and wiki doesn't give you the facts.

The city people are a middle class. There are also rich farmers, and wealthy businessmen that earn many times more than professionals living in major cities.

I wouldn't say there are really poor people in China, except for maybe provinces like Shanxi - though i've not been there myself, just saw documentaries....and heard from chinese colleagues.

thegenius1
5th June 2006, 02:49 PM
Yes, it certainly makes sense to turn up gold yourself, and it is still possible even in Japanese, but it is certainly getting a lot more difficult. Today, I was very pleased to turn up:

xn--5ckp3n150mugj.com データ回復 Data recovery

Yeah Japanese Still Has some goodies out there , I once thought the Sun had setted but i seem to be amazed day in and day out just picked up 就職求人.com EmploymentRecruiting.com ¥252 ¥250 Ad Competition 38 12.5k ovt.

gammascalper
5th June 2006, 03:21 PM
I'm trying to guess who will be the first to showhand.

My bet is on... touchring! :-D

Giant
5th June 2006, 03:34 PM
Many people in China are poor, but also many are making tons of money every month. China has more millionairs than the total population of Canada!

When I visited my grandfather's village in 1989, I met a guy on the bus and he told me later that he was my remote relative after I told him my granfather's name. He was just a regular village guy without receiving any high education, but he became a boss and owned a hospital in Shenzhen when I revisited the city in 1998 (9 years later).

Many Chinese are very good businessmen, they can be rich very quick. For these people, life in China is much better than in the West.

touchring
5th June 2006, 03:43 PM
My bet is on... touchring! :-D

Yes, i've decided to showhand and give off a real good domain with solid earning potential - hope that it will increase further interest in IDNs.

Someone must take the plunge. I took that plunge with japanese cities in Dec, now with chat.com.