PDA

View Full Version : The future of IDNs

27th May 2019, 01:50 PM
What do you think? How will the future look like?

Personally I keep the best names and drop all mediocre one so that I keep the renewal fees down and can renew the domains for many years to come.

Have adjusted my expectations somewhat, I don't think the IDN market will "explode" anytime soon, perhaps it will never but I still think that high quality names in a major language might have a small end-user and speculator driven market in the future but I think that IDN<ASCII and IDNs will be worth only a fraction of the ASCII version.

Maybe this will change, maybe not. Not sure.

I think there is upside because the market is so dead that it can only improve.

blackpower
29th May 2019, 02:04 PM
I think it will depend on a particular language/economy factor.
The big assumption in the beginning was to assume that since .com is King (in USA), it will be king everywhere.
Also, idns are not the same.
I have some Portuguese idns and they are doing well. They are also "full idns";

29th May 2019, 06:03 PM
I think that .com is indeed king or at least queen in many languages.

See Japan, China, Korea etc..

blackpower
29th May 2019, 06:16 PM
I think that .com is indeed king or at least queen in many languages.

See Japan, China, Korea etc..

No doubt... I mostly refer to Russian which turned out to be a big failure-as a country and economy :no:
Asian domains is a different story-but still not full idns and when this happens?

Kent99
2nd June 2019, 12:02 AM
There are some benefits to things being dead. Easier to pick up good domains. But I'm ready for things to explode. So any day now would be good. Waiting...

2nd June 2019, 07:21 AM
There are some benefits to things being dead. Easier to pick up good domains. But I'm ready for things to explode. So any day now would be good. Waiting...

True. It's kind of funny how this works. When I got started I had very high expectations and would consider overpaying for names because I thought I would never be able to accumulate good ones before they took off.

Now it's the opposite, I have better names than I would ever have expected and consider dropping some because I feel I have enough good ones but my expectations are very low. I feel more like a bag holder often or even for stupid spending time and money on this.

I think that psychology plays a huge role in domaining. It seems like people can't decide what values domains have. They get very excited about them and overpay and then later they drop them because they don't see them having a future.

Ideally you would want to buy when expectations are low, when prices have reached the bottom which is now I guess.

Kent99
4th June 2019, 01:21 AM
You seem to have an anti-Russian thing going. Is it the corruption that gets you down?

No doubt... I mostly refer to Russian which turned out to be a big failure-as a country and economy :no:
Asian domains is a different story-but still not full idns and when this happens?

blackpower
5th June 2019, 08:36 AM
If they limit their shit to themselves, I could not care less about their corruption...
They are the last Empire alive. A dying Empire... But if Romans were spreading superior culture, they are spreading communist filth...But as an Empire they cannot stop it, because every Empire golder rule is Expand or Die!
I don't hate them, I despise them.

basel
7th June 2019, 04:45 AM
For me everything can change in 1 hour
I'm domainer since 1998 when I sold my domain 7l.com for 3k and that was after the bomb of domain trading ,, people said who is the stupid to pay 4k in your 7l.com it's just cc.com
And now the lowest price for any cc.com is 150k
Hundreds of other story with me
Not only idn is gamble game even the ascii still gamble game
In past years a bomb for 6n domains then go down / crypto come bomb then down then bomb
If the idn market is down we still see nothing ,,, again who play the game to the end and give some more wait have two option,, first If the idn domains start track many domainers and end user / the second option a great portfolio to develop
But who play the game like us in 2007 and start drop killer words in 2019 he just got the loss and left the game
I sold more than 70% of my idns and everyday if there is good one but for good price I will keep buy / I believe in one sentence/ every thing may change any time anywhere
If idn come popular more than assci in next 10 years and no one can believe this can may happen / but not me and not you can know / no one know anything in future
The people who made millions in domains in the beginning were paid 100$ reg fees each domain in 1995 / 1999 and 100$ was risk investment in that time / but they choose the game and continue renewing the names and at the end they got millions
Crypto up to 19k then down to 2k / the way what we feel now in idns / but again crypto in 9k value now
Sorry for my bad English language / thank you proud Arabic native speaker

sbe18
7th June 2019, 06:13 PM
I and the early members of this forum were wrong on the timing for IDN cctld's in China, Japan, and Korea.
But I think India for IDN dot com and dot bharat (India in Hindi... IDN.IDN) will be a surprise over the next few years.

Smartphone browsers and smartphone searches are the issue going forward worldwide.

clipper
7th June 2019, 08:17 PM
I still believe these will work out in the long run with one caveat, and that hasn't changed in the last ten years: political risk. What has changed is that the risk has gotten worse: protectionist policies, nationalist leadership all over the world... Tariffs are not good for ecommerce.

Of what value are the best domains in languages used in countries with which we cannot trade? Zero.

Man
20th August 2019, 08:43 PM
maybe we should work on a group project to develop some domains in each major languages which could result in more end user interest in IDNs

Man
20th August 2019, 09:05 PM
Guys, I was just checking WHOIS for some domains and by chance I entered idnforums.com also It turns out it's going to expire on 2019-09-09!

I'm not sure If someone is going to renew it or it's set to be auto renewed on dynadot but less than 20 days remaining!!!

mxfusion
21st August 2019, 09:03 AM
We're actually doing better than expected. My parking has stabilized, this year earnings roughly same as last year. I guess Google or ParkingCrew has reduced the portion of payout to us until it can't be reduced any more. I'm surprised that the PPC scam is still alive.

LewisH99
28th November 2019, 08:27 AM
As far as recent stats, IDN or International domains hasn't really kicked off. .com is still the king followed by .net and .org. I have hardly come across IDN domains or full-fledged IDN domains with a website. I have only come across a couple of Arabic IDN domains. So, if you want to invest and make money than .com is the way to go, still.

chriskok
4th February 2020, 08:24 PM
thanks guys for the infos

IdnHost
8th February 2020, 01:31 PM
dropped everything except therapy.com (russian)
but checking in from time to time and reading the comments.
have my finger on the trigger in case anything changes.
no experience is a waste. I have learned so much from everyone on this forum.
We are all more prepared then the average Joe in the event big news drops. Good luck to us all.

clipper
8th February 2020, 09:11 PM
I expect a lot more culling in the coming years at a 7% price hike per year:

https://www.icann.org/public-comments/com-amendment-3-2020-01-03-en

9th February 2020, 06:12 AM
I expect a lot more culling in the coming years at a 7% price hike per year:

Just registered insurance.com in hindi for regfee :eek:

19th May 2020, 01:45 PM
The big assumption in the beginning was to assume that since .com is King (in USA), it will be king everywhere.

you just copied what Blackpower said.

http://www.idnforums.com/forums/228068-post2.html

like you did with your other posts:

Domainguru original post:

http://www.idnforums.com/forums/185127-post3.html

your copied post:

http://www.idnforums.com/forums/228779-post37.html

Wot's original post:

http://www.idnforums.com/forums/217061-post2.html

Your spam post:

http://www.idnforums.com/forums/228778-post17.html

Nice trick.

I guess you will never explain? :-D

bwhhisc
22nd May 2020, 04:19 PM

dreoios has been banned by Moderator staff

dreoios.....Check your email...we can take this offline with Moderators.

bwhhisc
24th May 2020, 06:42 PM
Sorry, Dreios

System was unable to deliver your message to the following address.

______1@vmani.com>:
550: 5.1.1 <_____1@vmani.com>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in local recipient table

_____= redacted for privacy.

Well, we tried. :)