PDA

View Full Version : Hindi Domains

idn
7th January 2006, 11:43 PM
Is anyone receiving traffic or overture results for their Hindi script domains?

Rubber Duck
7th January 2006, 11:56 PM
Yes, I am getting some traffic on HIndi, although there is something a little odd with Hindi. It is not getting hardly any Overture and the Google Scores are much lower than I would expect. I am actually getting more through on Tamil at the moment.

I have some Overture on Punjabi and Kannada, but the really big one in terms of Overture and Google surprising is Urdu, but this may be more due to Farsi than Urdu itself as the Iranian internet seems well developed and there is some sharing of vocabulary.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Rubber Duck
8th January 2006, 12:02 AM
Actually, I am beginning to think that the answer is obvious. Arabic Keyboards have been around for decades. Urdu can be typed in on an Arabic Keyboard. Perhaps the biggest problem in India is that there is little distribution to date of local script keyboards.

If that is the problem then it is not a major obstacle. To date their are only a couple of million computers in India, to get wider adoption, local keyboards is going to have to be part of the package. I would think in India they will probably retail for less than $5 anyway.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

idn
8th January 2006, 12:12 AM
Good point. Actually excellent point. Can you provide an example of a word that you are getting some traffic with in Hindi?

Rubber Duck
8th January 2006, 06:14 AM
Good point. Actually excellent point. Can you provide an example of a word that you are getting some traffic with in Hindi?

Actually, this may sound like a simple request but is actually not at all obvious from the Sedo interface. The parking tool tends only to give you part of the local characters, whilst the Management tool only gives you the punycode from which I cannot recognise which language it is. There are ways of transferring the data over into my Excel Database but these are lengthy and complicated and I don't have time at the moment.

Best Regards
Dave

IDNCowboy
8th January 2006, 07:05 AM
Actually, I am beginning to think that the answer is obvious. Arabic Keyboards have been around for decades. Urdu can be typed in on an Arabic Keyboard. Perhaps the biggest problem in India is that there is little distribution to date of local script keyboards.

If that is the problem then it is not a major obstacle. To date their are only a couple of million computers in India, to get wider adoption, local keyboards is going to have to be part of the package. I would think in India they will probably retail for less than $5 anyway.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

They were going to introduce a $99 computer there.... soon
There are 18 million internet users right now in India vs 14 million in taiwan..

Rubber Duck
8th January 2006, 07:51 AM

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

There are 18 million internet users right now in India vs 14 million in taiwan..

Well my guess is that there will be 300M within 5 years.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

IDNCowboy
8th January 2006, 08:00 AM

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

There are 18 million internet users right now in India  vs 14 million in taiwan..

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Probably but I'd stick to China and Japan and then divest into India as India still has door to door sales ppl etc..

WHere are you getting indian translations and what main languages are you using?

Rubber Duck
8th January 2006, 08:03 AM

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Probably but I'd stick to China and Japan and then divest into India as India still has door to door sales ppl etc..

WHere are you getting indian translations and what main languages are you using?

Yes, Chinese and Japanese have immediate market potential, but the good names have largely gone. India is wide open if you can get the translations.

All languages but sources are confidential.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

drbiohealth
8th January 2006, 05:31 PM
Well, lemme add a point here. Hindi is fast progressing. The government is seriously supporting local languages with the help of private players. I read/heard somewhere that the biggest hardware manufacturer in India, HCL ltd, has started distributing (from Nov 2005 sometime) PCs with local language support (on the keyboard/software et al). Added to that they have also introduced a Rs 10,000 PC (about US$225).

Just recently, I discussed the importance of local languages with a highly successful internet entrepreneur in India. His conclusion was that things have started moving in the right direction only very recently, however, with a rapid pace ... :-). He says that the government, Billy's MS and other bigwigs are very serious now towards local language support. One of the biggest problems that hindered non-proliferation of local languages was non-portability of fonts. This is over now as unicode is getting wider acceptance. The discussion was an eye opener for me and I went ahead and registered about 300 hindi domains.....including car, creditcard, chat and the likes. Its certainly a long-term (5 years) investment alike holding good stocks for long term (buffet style..:-)). Come to think of it, if a market can develop for domains like .info, .us, I am sure IDNs would also have its own share.

There seems to be techtonic shift happening ...... ;). Check this out as an indicator,

http://english.people.com.cn/200601/08/eng20060108_233723.html

Cheers!
Raj

Rubber Duck
8th January 2006, 05:38 PM
Come to think of it, if a market can develop for domains like .info, .us, I am sure IDNs would also have its own share.

IDN is just dot com growing-up!

drbiohealth
8th January 2006, 06:07 PM
Yup! that's right! Dave, I see you have some astonishing hindi names...congrats...;)

Rubber Duck
8th January 2006, 06:16 PM
Yup! that's right! Dave, I see you have some astonishing hindi names...congrats...;)

Yes and I have some rubbish as well!

Picked this up yesterday, which is Hindi/Marathi:

वित्तीय

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

drbiohealth
8th January 2006, 06:23 PM
that's to do with finance.

Rubber Duck
8th January 2006, 06:58 PM
that's to do with finance.

Yes, and I believe we have the equivalent in most of the other Indic Scripts as well as Business. I have various terms for business in Hindi but appear to have original missed out on the dot com for the one that mattered, which I think is:

व्यवसाय

The ones we got earlier are: बात काम अर्थ काज धंधा. The last too don't seem too hot!

Best Regards