PDA

View Full Version : ND Shows User Searches in Native Language

thefabfive
8th June 2006, 04:51 PM
Namedrive now appears to show User Searches in native languages. It used to just show ?? when users typed in their native language into the search boxes on parked domains. This should help us customize our keywords to what most people are looking for.

On a side note - I've seen some Arabic ads show up for Arabic keywords.

Very nice progress!

Rubber Duck
8th June 2006, 05:00 PM
Namedrive now appears to show User Searches in native languages. It used to just show ?? when users typed in their native language into the search boxes on parked domains. This should help us customize our keywords to what most people are looking for.

On a side note - I've seen some Arabic ads show up for Arabic keywords.

Very nice progress!

Yes, my estimation of what is happening is that much of the drop off is effectively due to better targeting of traffic away from US speculators to Asiatic browsers. This seems to have resulted in a drop in earnings. Frankly, I think is very positive, as we can expect real earnings growth from this source.

sarcle
8th June 2006, 05:12 PM
I know this is a little off topic but it pertains to the same thing.

My question is when is cpanel going to switch to unicode so I can see what my visitors where searching for when they come to my sites?

alpha
8th June 2006, 05:15 PM
I know this is a little off topic but it pertains to the same thing.

My question is when is cpanel going to switch to unicode so I can see what my visitors where searching for when they come to my sites?

i can answer that. the chances are they were searching for some disgusting sexual connotation, and were awarded accordingly :p

seriously, yes this is a major short-coming

sarcle
8th June 2006, 05:24 PM
chances are they were searching for some disgusting sexual connotation, and were awarded accordingly

I resent that. My visitors are looking for information on the art of sweet love making and being thoughtful and respectful lovers.

alpha
8th June 2006, 05:25 PM
I resent that. My visitors are looking for information on the art of sweet love making and being thoughtful and respectful lovers.
... while dressed in gimp suits

sarcle
8th June 2006, 05:36 PM
... while dressed in gimp suits

I prefer "Tender lovemaking outfits."

alpha
8th June 2006, 05:37 PM
I prefer "Tender lovemaking outfits."

i need to stop this now. I'm giving you a bad reputaion simultanteously on two threads.

sarcle
8th June 2006, 05:42 PM
i need to stop this now. I'm giving you a bad reputaion simultanteously on two threads.

Nah, it's all in jest and good fun. But in terms of metaphors you can't beat me. :)

Anyways back on topic, that's great news for namedrive... just need cpanel to get with the program.

touchring
8th June 2006, 05:53 PM
Does anyone knows when this happened? I'm trying to find a reason for super high PPC the past 7 day - i'll break $1k if this trend sustains. My first suspicion is the usual Google trick - some surprises once in a while just to prevent defection. But i won't discount any other possibilities.

Rubber Duck
8th June 2006, 05:58 PM
Does anyone knows when this happened? I'm trying to find a reason for super high PPC the past 7 day - i'll break $1k if this trend sustains. My first suspicion is the usual Google trick - some surprises once in a while just to prevent defection. But i won't discount any other possibilities.

I think you will find that changes are down to Geotargeted advertising using multilingual keywords.

touchring
8th June 2006, 06:02 PM
But i see one problem, at least with Japanese, there seem to be too few native ads, only 1 or 2! This will reduce clickthru. I know Google.co.jp has more than 1 or 2 for my keyword.

I also noticed that my adult japanese names got no native ads! Do we still need to switch to PORTAL to get native ads to appear?

Rubber Duck
8th June 2006, 06:35 PM
But i see one problem, at least with Japanese, there seem to be too few native ads, only 1 or 2! This will reduce clickthru. I know Google.co.jp has more than 1 or 2 for my keyword.

I also noticed that my adult japanese names got no native ads! Do we still need to switch to PORTAL to get native ads to appear?

Yes, this appears to be a Google Problem. What I did notice was when I tried to evaluate the cost of booking terms on Adwords even with very high Overture Bids the cost on Google was apparently very low. I am not sure that Google isn't giving away Ads to penetrate the market and these are not being loaded onto the PPC portals. There is something strange going on, but it does appear to be down to Namedrive, as the Sedo situation appears to be much the same.

touchring
8th June 2006, 06:51 PM
Yahoo and Google are practically controlling the whole targeted PPC market - more players should come in to reduce their commission. We're practically begging for PPC when they are earning so much.

thefabfive
8th June 2006, 11:37 PM
Just checked the Hebrew keyword - סקס (sex) - and it shows a full page of Hebrew ads!!

Have to check all the high traffic names now. It would be nice if ND sent a little note or something about these changes.

rhys
8th June 2006, 11:39 PM
Yahoo and Google are practically controlling the whole targeted PPC market - more players should come in to reduce their commission. We're practically begging for PPC when they are earning so much.

Welcome Microsoft....

gammascalper
8th June 2006, 11:43 PM
Just checked the Hebrew keyword - סקס (sex) - and it shows a full page of Hebrew ads!!

Have to check all the high traffic names now. It would be nice if ND sent a little note or something about these changes.

Strange -- I tried using סקס and defaulted to the portal page. No Hebrew ads in sight. Do you have a sample url?

thefabfive
8th June 2006, 11:51 PM
I haven't checked the actual page (and can't right now or the IT police will get me) but the domain it's on is סקסחינם.com (http://www.סקסחינם.com).

Disclaimer - please don't click on the ads.

Funny thing - when I went to check the preview of the page - by clicking the magnifying glass on ND - the סקס was replaced by ??. When I put סקס again as the keyword the Hebrew ads were still there. I'll have to check the page when I get home. I'll post a screenshot if no one else can confirm this "anomoly".

gammascalper
8th June 2006, 11:58 PM
I see it! Almost a full page of Hebrew ads mostly using .co.il TLDs.

Looks good. For some reason they don't appear for my non-Hebrew domains using that keyword.

thefabfive
9th June 2006, 01:33 AM
I'm seeing almost a full page of ads for many Hebrew keywords!

Got some work to do.

alex
9th June 2006, 02:39 AM
I had previously been using portal pages, but today I tested some 1-click pages with Japanese keywords through a proxy in Japan. The pages now seem to be working like they should, so Japanese keywords bring up a full page of relevant Japanese links.

I just went through and changed all my settings, and I'm already seeing an increase in clicks after a few hours.

mulligan
9th June 2006, 02:52 AM
Alex, did you use your domain name in native characters as the keywords or a general term like 'tools' for 'screwdriver.com'

alex
9th June 2006, 03:12 AM
Alex, did you use your domain name in native characters as the keywords or a general term like 'tools' for 'screwdriver.com'

That depends on the domain name. I look at Overture and Google to look for the most relevant terms that return the most results/ads. In some cases, that is the same as the domain name, in others it is different, shorter, kanji/kana, etc...

gammascalper
9th June 2006, 03:23 AM
I'm defaulting to the Japanese portal page even when I use a keyword like stocks which has a lot of ads: 株

Alex, do you have a sample url?

bwhhisc
9th June 2006, 03:35 AM
Welcome Microsoft....

That will certainly make it interesting and after seeing the information on the Google class action lawsuits etc.
Owning a company that has paid google for sponsored ads etc. and basically got nothing of quality in return, I am glad to see a huge player like Microsoft come into the game and improve the situation for advertisers and domainers.

sarcle
9th June 2006, 04:12 AM
I'm seeing the same thing Gamma. Everything works fine in the customize page but reverts back to the previous settings when I leave. In other words they aren't sticking.

Very annoying.

alex
9th June 2006, 04:16 AM
I'm defaulting to the Japanese portal page even when I use a keyword like stocks which has a lot of ads: 株

Alex, do you have a sample url?

You have to actively select Ad Type "1-Click," and I chose Template "Basic 1." You also have to actually be in Japan or use a Japanese proxy to see the Japanese ads.

I'm not using the customize page link at all, because that doesn't show me anything. I'm just putting these settings in at the main "Portfolio Settings" listing.

Here's a screenshot of "Italian.net" (language) - it's showing a lot of study Italian/Italian tutor links:

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/3907/italia9wt.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

domainstosell
9th June 2006, 04:18 AM
OK, I'm getting very frustrated. I just spent a lot of time optimizing my domains with different keywords, and I was double-checking as I went. Here is an example:

I wanted to change the keyword settings for one of my Japanese domains:
家東京.com.

I put 家東京 in the keyword spot, because I know it has ads that will serve, and it is a decent PPC term. I then clicked on the magnifying glass to see a preview. By the red "Customize", a bubble popped up that said the keyword returns no results.

I clicked on "Customize" and saw the ??? like someone mentioned earlier. So I re-pasted 家東京 in place of the ??? and hit "Refresh".

Again, it said the keyword returns no results. So I hit "Customize" again, because I noticed a "Country" drop-down. I change the country to Japan and hit "Refresh". Sweet! I have a bunch of Japanese ads serving! This is great! I click on "Save Changes" and go to work on more of my domains.

After a while of doing the tedious cut-and-paste to get rid of the ??? for each domain, I get an idea that I should go back and double-check. Just in case. Any guesses as to what I found?

I clicked on the magnifying glass on 家東京.com again, and hit "Customize". I saw ???, but at first I thought that it may be because I'm in the US, and that was the default. So I select Japan and hit "Refresh" expecting to see my Japanese-language ads serving. Instead I see a portal view (at least THAT is in Japanese, anyway), and a bubble that says that the keyword returns no results. And the reason it says that is because my current keyword seems to be ???.

Sorry for the long rant, but I'm tired and I just spent a lot of time on this, seemingly for nothing. Am I doing something wrong, or is this a Namedrive problem? I hate to say it, but the less those native ads serve, the more (potential) money I'm losing, and while I like Namedrive's service and set-up, I may have to jump ship and try Sedo for my IDNs if this isn't resolved soon.

Any help or advice is appreciated. Thanks for listening!

/RANT

sarcle
9th June 2006, 04:21 AM
NAMEDRIVE where ARE YOU?

alex
9th June 2006, 04:24 AM
I clicked on the magnifying glass on 家東京.com again, and hit "Customize". I saw ???, but at first I thought that it may be because I'm in the US, and that was the default. So I select Japan and hit "Refresh" expecting to see my Japanese-language ads serving. Instead I see a portal view (at least THAT is in Japanese, anyway), and a bubble that says that the keyword returns no results. And the reason it says that is because my current keyword seems to be ???.

I'm not using the Customize (magnifying glass) feature at all because it doesn't work for my Japanese IDN domains. The Japan region setting doesn't work either. I just put the keywords in on the main Portfolio Settings page. See my results above (http://www.idnforums.com/forums/3725-nd-shows-user-searches-in-native-language-2.html#post25745).

touchring
9th June 2006, 04:35 AM
You have to actively select Ad Type "1-Click," and I chose Template "Basic 1." You also have to actually be in Japan or use a Japanese proxy to see the Japanese ads.

I'm not using the customize page link at all, because that doesn't show me anything. I'm just putting these settings in at the main "Portfolio Settings" listing.

Here's a screenshot of "Italian.net" (language) - it's showing a lot of study Italian/Italian tutor links:

Do you mean it only works for Template "Basic 1."?

alex
9th June 2006, 04:36 AM
Do you mean it only works for Template "Basic 1."?

That's the only one I've tested, but others may work too. I think 1-click is the main setting to get relevant ads.

domainstosell
9th June 2006, 04:51 AM
Alex, would you mind looking at 家東京.com (http:// 家東京.com) and letting me know if my ads are serving correctly? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

gammascalper
9th June 2006, 04:51 AM
NAMEDRIVE where ARE YOU?

Ed's on vacation. He mentioned somebody would be filling in for him while he's away, but I'm not sure that would entail checking in on IDNF.

alex
9th June 2006, 04:55 AM
Alex, would you mind looking at 家東京.com (http:// 家東京.com) and letting me know if my ads are serving correctly? I would really appreciate it.

Yes, they are:

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/4404/tokyohouse9nh.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

domainstosell
9th June 2006, 05:02 AM
Thank God... so maybe I didn't waste a whole night. Thank you for checking!!

mulligan
9th June 2006, 05:02 AM
Alex, would you mind looking at 家東京.com (http://%20%E5%AE%B6%E6%9D%B1%E4%BA%AC.com) and letting me know if my ads are serving correctly? I would really appreciate it.
Thanks

Looking at your name through a Japanese proxy it shows:

OOps... Snap...:p

domainstosell
9th June 2006, 05:06 AM
Thanks Mulligan

mulligan
9th June 2006, 05:15 AM
To check on your names through a Proxy using FireFox

Google "Proxy List"
I use this site:
http://www.samair.ru/proxy/proxy-06.htm
Find a Japanese Proxy on the list

Then:

Tools > Options > General
Click on Connection Settings
Check the 'Manual proxy Configuration' AND the 'Use this proxy server for all protocols' buttons.

Enter the IP address in the 'HTTP Proxy:' box (Looks something like 242.342.54.255)
Enter the relevant port number in the 'Port' box (Looks something like 8080)

OK > OK and you're done.

To revert to normal:

Check the 'Auto-detect proxy settings for this network

Remember to change the proxy back as it can be a security risk.
Dont log on to to anything with your user ID or passwords through a Proxy

Dont know hoW to do it on IE...

domainstosell
9th June 2006, 05:21 AM
Nice, that's great info, thanks!

gammascalper
9th June 2006, 05:30 AM
Nice screenshots!

We'll soon find out if we get native ad PPC!

I still can't seem to get keywords working. I keep defaulting to the portal page even after entering the keyword as something common like 株, reselecting 1-click for good measure, cascading selections, and clicking save. Basic-1 is the template style.

Any ideas why?

thefabfive
9th June 2006, 02:41 PM
I haven't tried alot of Japanese terms because I wasn't getting many ads for the few I tried. I'll add my procedure that seems to work - maybe it's more like an art :p :

Click on the magnifying glass for the domain in question

Change the keyword and region (if desired). Click Refresh.

Close the customize page - it will ask if you want to save changes - click Yes.

I then choose "cascade changes" to make all the regions the same. Don't think this is necessary but I do it anyway.

Then click Save Changes.

There also seems to be more ads for Polish keywords. Although I'm not getting many ads for Russian or Arabic yet.

alpha
9th June 2006, 02:51 PM
have you worked out this "pop-under" thing yet?

thefabfive
9th June 2006, 02:57 PM
have you worked out this "pop-under" thing yet?
Although I have a few domains that have alot of views and virtually no clicks that pop-unders would be good for, it seems the consensus was that it was annoying to your visitors. And I think it's an all or nothing kind of deal so I decided against it.

alpha
9th June 2006, 02:59 PM
Although I have a few domains that have alot of views and virtually no clicks that pop-unders would be good for, it seems the consensus was that it was annoying to your visitors. And I think it's an all or nothing kind of deal so I decided against it.

i feared as much. this setting really needs to be configurable at individual name level rather than global.

domainstosell
9th June 2006, 03:09 PM
i feared as much. this setting really needs to be configurable at individual name level rather than global.

Agreed. Although, as my PPC has dipped to $0.01 for some Russian terms, it seems the ads are worth about as much as a pop-under anyway. Hopefully serving native ads will help see a higher PPC.

gammascalper
9th June 2006, 04:14 PM
I haven't tried alot of Japanese terms because I wasn't getting many ads for the few I tried. I'll add my procedure that seems to work - maybe it's more like an art :p :

Click on the magnifying glass for the domain in question

Change the keyword and region (if desired). Click Refresh.

Close the customize page - it will ask if you want to save changes - click Yes.

I then choose "cascade changes" to make all the regions the same. Don't think this is necessary but I do it anyway.

Then click Save Changes.

There also seems to be more ads for Polish keywords. Although I'm not getting many ads for Russian or Arabic yet.

Thanks for the walk-through! This has made my day.

I was doing the keyword change in the main screen, which does NOT work.

Rubber Duck
9th June 2006, 04:22 PM
Welcome Microsoft....

Well actually they might be, but have they done anything like Adwords even in ASCII English up until now? We certainly wouldn't want them to be destracted from debugging this browser of theirs!

To check on your names through a Proxy using FireFox

Google "Proxy List"
I use this site:
http://www.samair.ru/proxy/proxy-06.htm
Find a Japanese Proxy on the list

Then:

Click on Connection Settings
Check the 'Manual proxy Configuration' AND the 'Use this proxy server for all protocols' buttons.

Enter the IP address in the 'HTTP Proxy:' box (Looks something like 242.342.54.255)
Enter the relevant port number in the 'Port' box (Looks something like 8080)

OK > OK and you're done.

To revert to normal:

Check the 'Auto-detect proxy settings for this network

Dont know hoW to do it on IE...

Thanks Mulligan, but all should be aware that using Proxies is a security risk as your passwords etc could be left behind on the third party server.

I think the safest approach is to download a Proxy Server programme like Proxy Way which is free, so you can easily turn your Proxy on and off. I would close your email whilst you are doing this and avoid using any mission critical passwords when the Proxy is on.

Rubber Duck

thefabfive
9th June 2006, 05:26 PM
Something I noticed when using the new keywords - many Thai keywords bring up ads, but they are in English and most are not related to the keyword. This 'ads not related to keyword' seems fairly common right now. Maybe it will take some time before the ad inventory gets more specific for unicode keywords.

domainguru
9th June 2006, 05:38 PM
Well actually they might be, but have they done anything like Adwords even in ASCII English up until now? We certainly wouldn't want them to be destracted from debugging this browser of theirs!

Thanks Mulligan, but all should be aware that using Proxies is a security risk as your passwords etc could be left behind on the third party server.

I think the safest approach is to download a Proxy Server programme like Proxy Way which is free, so you can easily turn your Proxy on and off. I would close your email whilst you are doing this and avoid using any mission critical passwords when the Proxy is on.

Rubber Duck

Using "public proxies" as they are laughing called is far worse than a security risk, though that is bad enough. Nearly all these so called "public proxies" are computers that have been hacked into, sometimes servers, sometimes "home PCs". So what you are doing by using the resources of one of these PCs is at best "borderline illegal".

You should also be aware that some of these "public proxies" are actually honey pots i.e. servers set up by government agencies to trap people into using them.

So before you download any list of "public proxies" from a site, a Russian site in particular, you should be very aware that consuming the resources of any of these computers is a very risky business indeed. And before saying "well I didn't know these were hacked computers", remember that "ignorance is no defence".

There is a reason all these proxies are free or as good as, and they only tend to last a few days ....

Happy proxying!!