PDA

View Full Version : Japanese City symbols- 市 (shi)

bwhhisc
9th June 2006, 03:54 AM
I was looking thru some of our Japanese cities and updating ovt when I found an example of a city where using the shi, you get good bit higher JP OVT.

FujisawaCity 藤沢市 has an JP OVT of 20,954,

but Fujisawa 藤沢 registers a JP OVT of 12,504

Actually I was surprised, but I thought I would mention it so you can be aware that this situation does exist. Maybe this is a unique situation, would be interesting to see for a large run of Japanese cities. Genius?

I was recently told by a Japanese speaking person that when a city is written, or you address a letter to a city, you generally add the 市 almost always. But when speaking you don't usually add the word "city" to conversations.

blastfromthepast
9th June 2006, 04:07 AM
Perhaps because Fujisawa may mean something else besides the city. In such cases, the for clarity, shi is used.

mulligan
9th June 2006, 04:09 AM
A lot of my Japanese real estate names generate higher ovt with the Shi.
Same goes for the Prefectures

Case in point:

川崎 市 不動産 --> 2774 Kawasaki City Real Estate
川崎 不動産 --> 1108 Kawasaki Real Estate

滋賀 県 不動産 --> 3289 Shiga Prefecture Real Estate
滋賀 不動産 --> 1557 Shiga Real Estate

alpha
9th June 2006, 04:14 AM
this is also reflected in Google Trends.

The only time it appears to be different is where the "without shi" is also used as other things like a family name, which is also common in Japan.

another example is where the capital city is also the name of the prefecture. In these cases it's not unusual for the "without" to have higher overture than both the city (with shi) and the prefecture (with ken)