PDA

View Full Version : Starbuck's has a sinonized logo in China!

touchring
9th January 2006, 08:51 AM
Starbuck's has a sinonized logo in China!

http://image.baidu.com/i?ct=503316480&z=858933553&tn=baiduimagedetail&word=上海星巴克&in=5

;D

Olney
9th January 2006, 09:09 AM
Yeah it's simple for me to see that brand names in native characters are just easier to remember but since many westerners only see the English while in these countries they don't notice what's actually translated into Japanese or Chinese or Korean...

Rubber Duck
9th January 2006, 09:43 AM
Yeah it's simple for me to see that brand names in native characters are just easier to remember but since many westerners only see the English while in these countries they don't notice what's actually translated into Japanese or Chinese or Korean...

Well there you have said it all. They only remember what they see in their own language!

I know you were referring to us westerner's but the Japanese and Chinese will be just the same. They will more easily remember what is in their own language.

In case someone missed this, a fundamental of branding is the ability of target audience to recall.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

touchring
9th January 2006, 12:00 PM
;D IDNer around?

bwhhisc
9th January 2006, 03:11 PM
Out of curiosity, how does this translate exactly? Does the word Starbucks exist in China??

In the US "Starbuck" is a city name in at least 2 states, and there was a character "Lieutenant Starbuck" on the show Battlestar Gallactica.

Rubber Duck
9th January 2006, 03:20 PM
Out of curiosity, how does this translate exactly? Does the word Starbucks exist in China??

In the US "Starbuck" is a city name in at least 2 states, and there was a character "Lieutenant Starbuck" on the show Battlestar Gallactica.

I read an article on this. The first part is the Chinese symbol for star and the second part is phonetic for buck! Sounds a bit odd but I guess it must work.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

touchring
11th January 2006, 08:45 AM
Yes, all correct, except Starbuck doesn't own this "Chinese Starbuck". ;D