PDA

View Full Version : Welcome SEDO

alpha
12th June 2006, 08:15 AM
I notice "SEDO" joined our forum today.

We have been looking forward to hearing from you...

.. please take the stage.

touchring
12th June 2006, 08:22 AM
I notice "SEDO" joined our forum today.

We have been looking forward to hearing from you...

.. please take the stage.

Our Mr Sedo will have a hard time here, this is ND's strong ground. ;)

alpha
12th June 2006, 08:24 AM
Our Mr Sedo will have a hard time here, this is ND's strong ground. ;)

the last guest to turn up at the party never has it easy.. all the alcohol has usually gone apart from Advocat, and only the girls with "nice personalities" are left...

.. still better late than never. :cool:

edit: maybe we could have a showdown thread like they air during presidential elections. Sedo vs ND

mulligan
12th June 2006, 08:42 AM
I look forward to SEDO's contributions.

alpha
12th June 2006, 08:45 AM
I look forward to SEDO's contributions.

we all do.

Competition is a good thing, and the only winners will be the consumers ie us.

But they will more than likely get a frosty reception initially, but I'm sure their shoulders are broad enough to weather it.

Rubber Duck
12th June 2006, 08:48 AM
10-4

10-18

alpha
12th June 2006, 08:52 AM
10-4

10-18

10-19

BC
12th June 2006, 09:01 AM
Hello hello,

I thought it was about time to join the IDN community.
We at Sedo have been working to get into the IDN scene, and as many of you know it has not been the quickest process.

Some of you have already realized that Sedo now accepts IDN domains for parking.
I was hesitant to post here until we had some useful information to report.

...so here it is:

it would appear that IDNs of Arabic, Russian, Chinese, and Japanese origin can all be successfully parked at Sedo.

The provided landing page should appear in the language of the IP, however should display results based on the domain.

Keywords are automatically provided for the domain, and we will be working on an optimization system for the future.

of course I am very interested in your feedback, and I hope that we can work together in the future and make IDN domains as succesful as possible

(I am still working on my account, so not signature yet)

-Bill

Now Parking IDN domains!
-Sedo

alpha
12th June 2006, 09:06 AM
Hello hello,

I thought it was about time to join the IDN community.
We at Sedo have been working to get into the IDN scene, and as many of you know it has not been the quickest process.

Some of you have already realized that Sedo now accepts IDN domains for parking.
I was hesitant to post here until we had some useful information to report.

...so here it is:

it would appear that IDNs of Arabic, Russian, Chinese, and Japanese origin can all be successfully parked at Sedo.

The provided landing page should appear in the language of the IP, however should display results based on the domain.

Keywords are automatically provided for the domain, and we will be working on an optimization system for the future.

of course I am very interested in your feedback, and I hope that we can work together in the future and make IDN domains as succesful as possible

(I am still working on my account, so not signature yet)

-Bill

Now Parking IDN domains!
-Sedo

Welcome Bill,

I am sure there will be many questions, so I'll start the ball rolling:

Have Sedo resolved the Chinese firewall parking issue? Most of us here believe that native Chinese cannot access a ND or Sedo landing page, and thus are using providers such as Dopa (silverclicks)

BC
12th June 2006, 09:57 AM
Welcome Bill,

I am sure there will be many questions, so I'll start the ball rolling:

Have Sedo resolved the Chinese firewall parking issue? Most of us here believe that native Chinese cannot access a ND or Sedo landing page, and thus are using providers such as Dopa (silverclicks)

Unfortunatley to the best of my knowledge: we (Sedo), as well as other parking providers are currently unable to receive the full amount of traffic generated from China.

The cause as you have mentioned being the firewall.

until China decides to allow traffic to parked pages we and many others will be unable to completely monetize the traffic.

-Bill

alpha
12th June 2006, 10:07 AM
Unfortunatley to the best of my knowledge: we (Sedo), as well as other parking providers are currently unable to receive the full amount of traffic generated from China.

The cause as you have mentioned being the firewall.

until China decides to allow traffic to parked pages we and many others will be unable to completely monetize the traffic.

-Bill

What's your personal view on this? is there light at the end of the tunnel, or is it unlikely to change in the near future?

Rubber Duck
12th June 2006, 12:27 PM
Off the Wall idea.

Just occurred to me whilst playing Badminton, an annoying game we tried out because the Squash Courts were closed, that one of the things that this Industry could do with and probably must have in order for the bigger players to become seriously interested is a decent professional appraisal service.

Sedo already does this for ASCII domains, but has backed out of the IDN arena, probably largely due to lack of qualified appraisers as well as a low level of interest.
Well, this forum certainly has the people available to do this job and I am sure that it cannot be too long before there will be a call for professional appraisal.

Doesn't take a genius to join the dots and see that there is an opportunity going begging here.

burnsinternet
12th June 2006, 12:39 PM
Don't you think the market might be too young? Is there a strict appraisal formula for ASCII and where does that diverge from IDN appraisal possibility? If ascii.com, net, and org are like the old ABC, NBC, CBS networks, how does one evaluate a cable program? Does that make sense?

domainguru
12th June 2006, 12:42 PM
Off the Wall idea.

Just occurred to me whilst playing Badminton, an annoying game we tried out because the Squash Courts were closed, that one of the things that this Industry could do with and probably must have in order for the bigger players to become seriously interested is a decent professional appraisal service.

Sedo already does this for ASCII domains, but has backed out of the IDN arena, probably largely due to lack of qualified appraisers as well as a low level of interest.
Well, this forum certainly has the people available to do this job and I am sure that it cannot be too long before there will be a call for professional appraisal.

Doesn't take a genius to join the dots and see that there is an opportunity going begging here.

1) Anyone knows badminton is a much better game than squash :)

2) Appraising domain name is a fraught job at the best of times. Add in all the uncertainties with IDNs, lack of traffic etc. and IMHO, putting a $ value on IDNs is just not an idea of its time yet. Check out the appraisal forum. Nobody gives any $ values.... there's a good reason for that.

alpha
12th June 2006, 12:48 PM
1) Anyone knows badminton is a much better game than squash :)

2) Appraising domain name is a fraught job at the best of times. Add in all the uncertainties with IDNs, lack of traffic etc. and IMHO, putting a $ value on IDNs is just not an idea of its time yet. Check out the appraisal forum. Nobody gives any $ values.... there's a good reason for that.

1) isn't badmington "lazy tennis" ?

2) I agree. Domains aren't worth anything, it's not like they are a recognised currency or exchange rate - their value will be determined by the buyer, and on how much the buyer wants it. IMO it will take a fair few public end-user sales across many genres until we see a benchmark that will enable other names to be valued accordingly.

sakillll
12th June 2006, 01:18 PM
I know sedo idn parking page that there is no make offer function for buyer.
What problem is it ?

domainguru
12th June 2006, 01:23 PM

2) I agree. Domains aren't worth anything, it's not like they are a recognised currency or exchange rate - their value will be determined by the buyer, and on how much the buyer wants it. IMO it will take a fair few public end-user sales across many genres until we see a benchmark that will enable other names to be valued accordingly.

Badminton is all about "perfect timing". Much like domain names :)

touchring
12th June 2006, 01:25 PM
and only the girls with "nice personalities" are left...

Is it always the case that nice personality and appearance are mutually exclusive?

BC
12th June 2006, 01:31 PM

personally I am more of a racquet ball kind of guy. :rolleyes:

IDNs can be appraised at Sedo, however as you all know the value of an IDN is intellectual. Sedo still bases appraisals off of the TLD/availability, length of the domain/misspelling, history, similar transactions, and a few other variables... but in the end it is up to the market to decide how much to offer.

Make Offer feature:
We are still looking for consistent ways of confirming ownership of IDN domains, and until then Sedo will not be able to transfer IDN domains.

(could you guys PM me some good WHOIS servers for IDNs?)

...and the good girls wait... hehe

-Bill

idn1234
12th June 2006, 01:38 PM
Off the Wall idea.

Bad idea. It is much too early for anyone to have an
appraisal service for IDN's; no one here can claim to
be an expert in IDN valuations, how on earth could
they? ...and whilst we are on the subject, how would
Sedo prevent 'conflicts of interest'?

...it'd be like giving public corporations the power to
value their own stock!

touchring
12th June 2006, 01:48 PM
Bad idea. It is much too early for anyone to have an
appraisal service for IDN's; no one here can claim to
be an expert in IDN valuations, how on earth could
they? ...and whilst we are on the subject, how would
Sedo prevent 'conflicts of interest'?

...it'd be like giving public corporations the power to
value their own stock!

It's still possible to value IDNs using natural traffic (not google traffic) and appropriate multiples. E.g. 8-10 times for German, 20 times for French (French includes North Africa and Canada), 50-200 times for Japanese and Arabic, etc.

idn1234
12th June 2006, 01:57 PM
It's still possible to value IDNs using natural traffic (not google traffic) and appropriate multiples. E.g. 8-10 times for German, 20 times for French (French includes North Africa and Canada), 50-200 times for Japanese and Arabic, etc.

Oh, valuing on fundamentals, like traffic, is fine
(any time of day!) but of course valuations based
on "i'm an idn speculator with a large portfolio and
want to declare myself an expert so I can try to hype
the 'valuations' for my own names (or name type) is
not so fine".

:-)

thefabfive
12th June 2006, 02:18 PM
Domain appraisals are largely seen as scams in the ASCII world - and probably rightfully so. Adding the complexity of IDNs would only enhance that perception. How do you value the same word across different languages with different populations, economies, and internet penetration? I rather trust my instinct than some so-called "expert".

The secondary market will take time to grow. Traffic will help. "Certified" appraisals will not.

My 2 cents.

bwhhisc
12th June 2006, 02:18 PM
Just occurred to me whilst playing Badminton, an annoying game that this Industry could do with and probably must have in order for the bigger players to become seriously interested is a decent professional appraisal service..

LOL- The Brits invented badmitten, first played in Gloucestershire, England in 1873, but have since blamed its origin on India.

IDN APPRAISALS- An appraisal service is a great idea, and this is a good time for someone to get it going, as it takes time to get resources in place given all the native scripts invoved.

IDN VALUATION- It does not necessarily have to put 'valuation' in dollars on IDNs at this point, but at least validate the accuracy of the word for buyers, and exact definintion usage, (ie. Oil- cooking oil vs. petrol oil?) statistics and popularity in that language, and maybe list of "other" similar words- ie. we learned there is about 3 or 4 ways to say hotel in Chinese.

ASCII Appraisals- mostly complete exadurations of value. I have domains appraised at $10,000 that won't find buyer at $50.

rhys
12th June 2006, 02:33 PM
First off, I play both badminton and squash badly and I'd like to say they are each in their own way excellent hardcore games. Badminton gets a bad rap because for some reasons it is associated with lawn parties. But if you see professionals play or ever experience the thrill of watching someones face as you smash it with a bulletlike shuttle cock you will understand. Though personally I prefer squash because I can practice by myself.

I don't think that traffic even as it exists today can be used to create a fair valuation of IDNs. There just isn't enough running history yet of traffic or sales for that matter. However, I think we can all agree that IDN does need an appraisal service which serves the function of the universality of the English language in ascii domains.

By this I mean, we need native speakers to certify that the domains mean what they are represented to mean you know a stamp like "Native Speaker Approved". If I think of why I don't buy arabic, korean, or hindi domains off this forum it is because of just this problem. Unless I know the seller well, it is impossible to have confidence. (ahem....like the person selling "しま” as "island" COMPLETE SCAM). This is by far our largest problem and if Sedo or someone else could provide an organized service, it would create more confidence in IDN.

alex
12th June 2006, 02:39 PM
Welcome to the forums. It's great to see you taking a strong interest in helping to develop the growing IDN market.

Domain appraisals are largely seen as scams in the ASCII world - and probably rightfully so. Adding the complexity of IDNs would only enhance that perception. How do you value the same word across different languages with different populations, economies, and internet penetration? I rather trust my instinct than some so-called "expert".

The secondary market will take time to grow. Traffic will help. "Certified" appraisals will not.

Agreed.

Rubber Duck
12th June 2006, 02:40 PM
We are still looking for consistent ways of confirming ownership of IDN domains, and until then Sedo will not be able to transfer IDN domains.

Bill this is a totally lame excuse. IDN are part of the same registeries as their ASCII counterparts are in all cases the same Whois information is returned when the Punycode version of the domain which is the Registries primary reference is given. I am sure the registeries themselves pay scant regard to the Unicode and probably don't even bother to store it at all.

Domainsite has a Whois that is capable of deciphering the Unicode back into Punycode without having to first make the conversion. For this reason I often use their Whois because of the added convenience. The Punycode converter is clearly just a bolt on routine to standard Whois programme.

Checking Sedo site, they do not seem to provide a Whois. Seems a bit odd to me that a domain retailer would not automatically provide this service. Perhaps you should consider getting one up and running with the additional IDN funtionality. Clearly, you must be aware that the more reason people have for going to your site and staying there, the more likely you are to do some business.

thefabfive
12th June 2006, 02:47 PM
By this I mean, we need native speakers to certify that the domains mean what they are represented to mean.
I completely agree - although I wouldn't exactly call this an "appraisal". This type of service is needed but I would much sooner trust a good-standing member of this forum than Sedo (or ND for that matter). No offense to Sedo or ND.

BC
12th June 2006, 02:52 PM
First off, I play both badminton and squash badly and I'd like to say they are each in their own way excellent hardcore games. Badminton gets a bad rap because for some reasons it is associated with lawn parties. But if you see professionals play or ever experience the thrill of watching someones face as you smash it with a bulletlike shuttle cock you will understand. Though personally I prefer squash because I can practice by myself.

I don't think that traffic even as it exists today can be used to create a fair valuation of IDNs. There just isn't enough running history yet of traffic or sales for that matter. However, I think we can all agree that IDN does need an appraisal service which serves the function of the universality of the English language in ascii domains.

By this I mean, we need native speakers to certify that the domains mean what they are represented to mean. If I think of why I don't buy arabic, korean, or hindi domains off this forum it is because of just this problem. Unless I know the seller well, it is impossible to have confidence. (ahem....like the person selling "しま” as "island" COMPLETE SCAM). This is by far our largest problem and if Sedo or someone else could provide an organized service, it would create more confidence in IDN.

is racquetball not big in the UK or EU for that matter :confused:

and yes it is important to have some sort of appraisal system for IDNs (and ASCII) even if most users would prefer not to use it. Appraisals are intended to be based off of current market preferences, and as of yet there has not been a large amount of IDN transactions through a platform that provides both parties involved with security.

once browsers have been updated to completely accept IDNs as normal IMO it will be easier to think of an appraisal system. (instead of having to change viewing settings to accept the unicode)

Native speakers are definetely a plus and for that reason we 19 different native speakers in Sedo's German office... however these individuals are not yet ready to appraise IDN domains.

btw Sedo's IDN converter is the first result in google after typing "IDN Converter" on the german and english pages :cool:

domainguru
12th June 2006, 03:00 PM
LOL- The Brits invented badmitten, first played in Gloucestershire, England in 1873, but have since blamed its origin on India.

wow - was it really invented in Gloucestershire? That's my home county, no wonder I feel at home playing the game. btw, i think it is badminton rather than badmitten :p

bwhhisc
12th June 2006, 03:11 PM
wow - was it really invented in Gloucestershire? That's my home county, no wonder I feel at home playing the game. btw, i think it is badminton rather than badmitten :p

read all about it...thanks for spelling correction!
http://www.clandonbc.co.uk/menu/history.html

mulligan
12th June 2006, 03:16 PM
Checking Sedo site, they do not seem to provide a Whois. Seems a bit odd to me that a domain retailer would not automatically provide this service. Perhaps you should consider getting one up and running with the additional IDN funtionality. Clearly, you must be aware that the more reason people have for going to your site and staying there, the more likely you are to do some business.
And offer the opportunity to bypass SEDO altogether and contact the domain owner directly.... That 10% suddenly disappears...:)

wow - was it really invented in Gloucestershire? That's my home county, no wonder I feel at home playing the game. btw, i think it is badminton rather than badmitten
'badmitten' I believe is the olde worlde way of spelling it...:p

markits
12th June 2006, 03:26 PM
read all about it...thanks for spelling correction!
http://www.clandonbc.co.uk/menu/history.html

That's idn1234's posting style! LOL.

touchring
12th June 2006, 03:44 PM
Oh, valuing on fundamentals, like traffic, is fine
(any time of day!) but of course valuations based
on "i'm an idn speculator with a large portfolio and
want to declare myself an expert so I can try to hype
the 'valuations' for my own names (or name type) is
not so fine".
:-)

True, assuming that there is no increased in type-in from frequent usage that we all expect in non-latin IDNs, and relying only from the traffic from IE7, the current 6-9 years valuation method for traffic names is really far from true value. Real estate rarely get more than 4-5% return after property taxes and maintenance charges.

Also, too many free lunches on "SEOed" traffic, this would change in the coming years, and in turn boost PPC on
natural type-in monies.

Valuation goes up and down like stocks, and the key now is holding power and the ability to buy good names when given the opportunity, even if it means paying future prices.

My proposed NEW valuation model for IDNs:

Current PPC x Expected increased in type-in from frequent usage (especially high for non-latin IDNs) x Increase in traffic from IE7 x Increase in Internet population 4 years from now x 60 to 96 mths

For Arabic:

Expected increased in type-in from frequent usage (especially high for non-latin IDNs) - 4 times

Increase in traffic from IE7 - 30 times

Increase in Internet population 4 years from now - 1.8 times

Total: 216 times.

For Japanese:

Expected increased in type-in from frequent usage (especially high for non-latin IDNs) - 5 times

Increase in Internet population 4 years from now - 1.2 times

Total: 180 times.

For French/Spanish:

Expected increased in type-in from frequent usage - 2 times

Increase in traffic from IE7 - 12 times (higher since French and Spanish traffic also comes from outside Europe).

Increase in Internet population 3 years from now - 1.4 times (higher since French and Spanish traffic also comes from outside Europe).

Total: 33.6 times

For German:

Expected increased in type-in from frequent usage - 2 times

Increase in traffic from IE7 - 6 times

Increase in Internet population 3 years from now - 1.2 times

Total: 14.4 times

Based on this model, a generic Arabic idn that is not indexed, has no transliteration, and earns $5 a mth as of now should fetch $1080 a mth 4 years after IE7, and so on 60 mths valuation will be worth $64,800.

And a French name that earns $20 a mth from natural type-in (no similar ASCII site) will get $672 a mth 4 years after IE7, and so on 60 mths valuation will be worth $40,320.

idn1234
12th June 2006, 04:15 PM
That's idn1234's posting style! LOL.

I don't understand, but it still looks good
to me! :)

markits
12th June 2006, 04:43 PM
For Japanese:

Expected increased in type-in from frequent usage (especially high for non-latin IDNs) - 5 times

Increase in Internet population 4 years from now - 1.2 times

Total: 180 times.

180 times? No, cant't be true.

The current non-speculator typeins to most Japanese domains are close to zero. A 180 times increase from the current level really means nothing. It simply indicates that idners such as alphamale who owns 2000 top domains will only earn less than $30*180 per month from PPC. That's way too low.

I don't think we can give an estimate of this figure yet. How many times bigger is 1 compares to 0? In another word, increase 1 billion times from 0 is still zero.

touchring
12th June 2006, 04:49 PM
180 times? No, cant't be true.

The current non-speculator typeins to most Japanese domains are close to zero. A 180 times increase from the current level really means nothing. It simply indicates that idners such as alphamale who owns 2000 top domains will only earn less than $30*180 per month from PPC. That's way too low.

I don't think we can give an estimate of this figure yet. How many times bigger is 1 compares to 0? In another word, increase 1 billion times from 0 is still zero.

Well, that will depend on "Expected increased in type-in from frequent usage (especially high for non-latin IDNs)". This is difficult to estimate.

Also, for Japanese domains, we are not earning Japanese PPC until only like 4 or 5 days ago. Also, CTR was an absurb 5-7%, and it's still low as compared to some other languages after the Japanese ads appeared - so i wonder if the ads are targeted.

So, you have to use post-Japanese PPC as the starting base.

markits
12th June 2006, 05:26 PM
Well, that will depend on "Expected increased in type-in from frequent usage (especially high for non-latin IDNs)". This is difficult to estimate.

Also, for Japanese domains, we are not earning Japanese PPC until only like 4 or 5 days ago. Also, CTR was an absurb 5-7%, and it's still low as compared to some other languages after the Japanese ads appeared - so i wonder if the ads are targeted.

So, you have to use post-Japanese PPC as the starting base.

So you are saying that the starting base is not accurate yet. That's is my perception too. Indeed, the current stats, including both rev and traffics, is not the reflection of domain quality, and you simply can't use it as an estimation of "future" performance (for Japanese domains).

yanni
12th June 2006, 05:30 PM
Based on this model, a generic Arabic idn that is not indexed, has no transliteration, and earns $5 a mth as of now should fetch $1080 a mth 4 years after IE7, and so on 60 mths valuation will be worth $64,800.

And a French name that earns $20 a mth from natural type-in (no similar ASCII site) will get $672 a mth 4 years after IE7, and so on 60 mths valuation will be worth $40,320.

Let's not forget that the PPC earnings you're quoting is only a percentage of what the advertiser pays to the "source".

Therefore, the value of the domain(s) in question should be much higher; at least double that of your model.

touchring
12th June 2006, 05:35 PM
So you are saying that the starting base is not accurate yet. That's is my perception too. Indeed, the current stats, including both rev and traffics, is not the reflection of domain quality, and you simply can't use it as an estimation of "future" performance (for Japanese domains).

Well, it does work for Japanese in my opinion, except, we are talking about 3 Asian views a mth versus maybe 20-30 natural views for a high traffic name.

(Note: I'd exclude trademarks and names of existing romaji websites even though they can get hundreds of views a mth since it is yet to be seen whether romaji owners can wipo idn owners that registered after)

markits
12th June 2006, 05:44 PM
Well, it does work for Japanese in my opinion, except, we are talking about 3 Asian views a mth versus maybe 20 views natural traffic for a high traffic name.

(Note: I'd exclude trademarks and names of existing romaji websites even though they can get hundreds of views a mth since it is yet to be seen whether romaji owners can wipo idn owners that registered after.)

This again comes to your multiplier figure -- 180. A domain with only 20 monthly traffic is considered as high traffic now, multiplying by 180 is only 3600 monthly views. I consider this as a low traffic domain.
BTW, 20 verse 3, there are both close to zero. I suspect that the difference is statically significant (reflection of domain quality).

Drewbert
12th June 2006, 06:01 PM
>We are still looking for consistent ways of confirming ownership of IDN domains, and
>until then Sedo will not be able to transfer IDN domains.

Say what?

A question for you...

Please explain the difference at the WHOIS level of a "normal" ASCII domain and a punycode encoded IDN domain.

I'd be darned if I can spot a difference anywhere. This ain't rocket science!

>(could you guys PM me some good WHOIS servers for IDNs?)

Arrrr. How about the port 43 WHOIS service for the registrar of record?

(Pinch me, is this question REALLY being posted by SEDO?)

idn1234
12th June 2006, 06:16 PM
>We are still looking for consistent ways of confirming ownership of IDN domains, and
>until then Sedo will not be able to transfer IDN domains.

Say what?

A question for you...

Please explain the difference at the WHOIS level of a "normal" ASCII domain and a punycode encoded IDN domain.

I'd be darned if I can spot a difference anywhere. This ain't rocket science!

(Pinch me, is this question REALLY being posted by SEDO?)

I agree. This is an appalling naive comment to be
making from someone representing Sedo...

No offence Bill, but really! Many of the domainers
on here are very well up to speed on IDN, and the
issues it faces, and of course there is no difference
at all re: ownership of ascii and IDN.

That said, there ARE some aspects of IDN that may
be a little uncertain in the future but this has nothing
to do with ownership as it stands.

Regards

touchring
12th June 2006, 09:01 PM
This again comes to your multiplier figure -- 180. A domain with only 20 monthly traffic is considered as high traffic now, multiplying by 180 is only 3600 monthly views. I consider this as a low traffic domain.
BTW, 20 verse 3, there are both close to zero. I suspect that the difference is statically significant (reflection of domain quality).

Well, the multiplier figure of 5 due to frequent usage of IDN is a little subjective, of course, you may say that even 50 times is possible - i think no one really knows.

Olney
13th June 2006, 01:45 AM
Since this is my first post to the thread
First welcome Bill I'll look over your account.
I might also make a special user group for Official Representatives.

Yeah guys I used to have a friend who played badkitten & my momma used to make me eat squash when I was little...

From the technical aspect guys going from ASCII to multilingual is not a task most companies do well. It does take time & I'm glad that companies are at the point of coming on board directly to attack issues & concerns..

Also I'm realizing that when Sedo says whois database you guys might be thinking about .com, .nets etc...
Offhand I'm assuming they are talking about the .jps, .cns, etc..
I'm no expert but I think these databases are seperate.

idn1234
13th June 2006, 06:13 AM
Offhand I'm assuming they are talking about the .jps, .cns, etc..
I'm no expert but I think these databases are seperate.

Yes, of course these databases are separate but
what does that have to do with confirming
ownership?!

Regards

Drewbert
13th June 2006, 09:06 AM
>Offhand I'm assuming they are talking about the .jps

Sheesh, just how hard is it to type "whois -h whois.jp blah.jp into a terminal?

Bill, find someone at SEDO with a clue and get them to explain to you how port 43 WHOIS service works.

idn1234
13th June 2006, 09:53 AM
>
Bill, find someone at SEDO with a clue and get them to explain to you how port 43 WHOIS service works.

Understandable comment. Bill, I am sure everyone
here welcomes Sedo to the forum, however the
perception (among many domainers here) is that
Sedo are joining the party a little late... and need
to make a solid contribution now if they are to be
taken seriously.

With that in mind, nonsense-type statements (like
the one you made earlier) will likely not be tolerated
and will cause a little (or a lot) of frustration among
domainers.

Everyone wants you here, but now is the time to
show the goods rather than the window dressing.

All the best Bill, and we look forward to your future
posts!

Regards

BC
14th June 2006, 09:36 AM
To clarify my previous post:

Some small difficulties in transferring domains include but are not limited to the TLD of the domain, where the domain was registered, and the language of registrar.

Many IDN domains can already be transferred at Sedo, however we are still working on uploading a comprehensive database that should allow for all TLDs to be transferred with the same security that Sedo has provided domainers with in the past.

Sedo has placed priority on parking IDNs over transfers; nevertheless we intend to transfer IDNs in the future.

alpha
14th June 2006, 09:42 AM

Some small difficulties in transferring domains include but are not limited to the TLD of the domain, where the domain was registered, and the language of registrar.

Many IDN domains can already be transferred at Sedo, however we are still working on uploading a comprehensive database that should allow for all TLDs to be transferred with the same security that Sedo has provided domainers with in the past.

Sedo has placed priority on parking IDNs over transfers; nevertheless we intend to transfer IDNs in the future.

I have had a very recent experience of your IDN escrow service. Apparently after much to-ing and fro-ing, it appears you can only Escrow character IDN's, ie German, and not Symbol like Japanese.

This to me sounds strange, but anyway the biggest annoyance is that there are wildly varying degrees of understanding amongst customer facing SEDO people on the end of the email, as to what your current system can and cannot do with IDN.

Clearly a brief education programme would be highly valuable to a lot of your people.

Rubber Duck
14th June 2006, 09:42 AM

Prioritising parking is one of your better decisions. Permitting them to be Escrowed needs to be the next step. I very much doubt whether you are in a position to find end-user buyers just yet, but this market will develop very quickly when it comes.

I have had a very recent experience of your IDN escrow service. Apparently after much to-ing and fro-ing, it appears you can only Escrow character IDN's, ie German, and not Symbol like Japanese.

This to me sounds strange, but anyway the biggest annoyance is that there are wildly varying degrees of understanding amongst customer facing SEDO people on the end of the email, as to what your current system can and cannot do with IDN.

Clearly a brief education programme would be highly valuable to a lot of your people.

Agreed.

domainguru
20th June 2006, 12:42 PM
just asked sedo about IDN escrow. Their reply was:

"In general, you may now park IDNs with Sedo but not sell them because many are not transferable. Asian IDNs are not transferable and therefore it is not possible to sell them on our marketplace."

Surely the statement "Asian IDNs are not transferable" must be in the running for "misinformed IDN quote of the year" award.

And Sedo, you should be ashamed of running such a big operation without seemingly having a clue what is going on ....

mulligan
20th June 2006, 12:56 PM
It seems to me that the one hand doesnt know what the other hand is doing over there. Doesnt inspire confidence.

The statement "Asian IDNs are not transferable and therefore it is not possible to sell them on our marketplace." seems to say that SEDO think all IDN's are Asian!

For such a big company it doesnt make SEDO look good...

One of the reasons Alpha and I have set up our own service and I can say that if they dont pull their finger out parking for IDN's will remain at namedrive. At least ND know what they are talking about and have put a lot of effort into IDN's.

SEDO are acting like a typical big company -- Becoming like ebay over there -- Not good

Explorer
20th June 2006, 12:59 PM

"In general, you may now park IDNs with Sedo but not sell them because many are not transferable. Asian IDNs are not transferable and therefore it is not possible to sell them on our marketplace."

Surely the statement "Asian IDNs are not transferable" must be in the running for "misinformed IDN quote of the year" award.

And Sedo, you should be ashamed of running such a big operation without seemingly having a clue what is going on ....

Then all you have to do is to convince them that your IDNs are not asian, but russian and they will transfer them right away :-)

Rubber Duck
20th June 2006, 01:02 PM
Yes, welcome IDNBond.com.

A decent functioning IDN Escrow service is well overdue!

mulligan
20th June 2006, 01:14 PM
Then all you have to do is to convince them that your IDNs are not asian, but russian and they will transfer them right away :-)

Then you will cause someones head to explode from the sheer potential implications coz some of Russia is in Asia

Rubber Duck
20th June 2006, 01:20 PM
Then you will cause someones head to explode from the sheer potential implications coz some of Russia is in Asia

Yes, but their machines are not yet geared up to tell which Russian Cyrillics are Asian and which ones are European.

BC
20th June 2006, 01:29 PM

And Sedo, you should be ashamed of running such a big operation without seemingly having a clue what is going on....

Could you provide me (PM) with the name of the person with whom you spoke?

As it has been noted before many domainers are not completely familiar with IDN domains and their importance in the market. With the recent introduction of IDN parking at Sedo some employees seem to fit the aforementioned category.

While I have worked directly with the implementation of IDN domains into our system I still need a lot of help from you all at IDNF. Hopefully information from IDNF can be relayed to Sedo and others larger domain marketplaces.

Hopefully claiming that “Asian IDNs are not transferable" did not give off the impression that Sedo as a whole thinks IDNs are all Asian.

The domains we at Sedo are experiencing the most difficulty with are most frequently domains that contain Asian characters.

Then all you have to do is to convince them that your IDNs are not Asian, but russian and they will transfer them right away :-)

It is taking a little bit of time to load a database of all IDN characters to be transferred. Currently Sedo is not having many problems transferring Russian domains.

Tech is currently working on the database, but at this time I cannot provide a time frame.

-Bill

mulligan
20th June 2006, 01:36 PM
Sedo can hire me on a six month consultancy basis. My fees are reasonable.

But seriously, you really need to bring your people up to speed on this -- Implementing IDN's for sale should be a priority for you guys.

alpha
20th June 2006, 01:56 PM
Could you provide me (PM) with the name of the person with whom you spoke?

As it has been noted before many domainers are not completely familiar with IDN domains and their importance in the market. With the recent introduction of IDN parking at Sedo some employees seem to fit the aforementioned category.

While I have worked directly with the implementation of IDN domains into our system I still need a lot of help from you all at IDNF. Hopefully information from IDNF can be relayed to Sedo and others larger domain marketplaces.

Hopefully claiming that “Asian IDNs are not transferable" did not give off the impression that Sedo as a whole thinks IDNs are all Asian.

The domains we at Sedo are experiencing the most difficulty with are most frequently domains that contain Asian characters.

It is taking a little bit of time to load a database of all IDN characters to be transferred. Currently Sedo is not having many problems transferring Russian domains.

Tech is currently working on the database, but at this time I cannot provide a time frame.

-Bill

I have spoken to a number of people at Sedo only last week, and can confirm that according to them "they can escrow IDN's as long as they are not UTF-8"

in other words accented e's are ok, ie European, but not Japanese etc. I had this confirmed rather painfully by 2 people.

If you would like the very long email trail, please pm me your email address and I will forward the entire dialogue on to you.

btw I was told by email 1-3 months until it is "fixed"

blastfromthepast
10th January 2007, 01:36 AM
Sedo

Last Activity: 10-31-2006 10:00 AM

alpha
10th January 2007, 03:56 AM
Last Activity: 10-31-2006 10:00 AM

see who?

blastfromthepast
24th January 2007, 02:25 PM
see who?

http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/3390/sedodo0we.jpg

Dear Sedo customer,

We are currently experiencing delays in our response time.

Please be assured that we will process your request as soon as possible. The
current response time lies between 2-3 business days.

Thank you for your continued patience. We appreciate your understanding and
look forward to overcoming this temporary inconvenience shortly. Thank you.

Regards,
Your Sedo team

Rubber Duck
24th January 2007, 04:00 PM
But would their passing trigger the same emotion!