PDA

View Full Version : New Countries Added to ND!

thefabfive
13th June 2006, 07:50 PM
Russia, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, and the United Arab Emirates added to the country settings on Namedrive pages!

I haven't tried it out yet, but great progress by ND. Thanks, Ed!

gammascalper
13th June 2006, 07:57 PM
I'm getting emotional...

There's even a little ad inventory in Russian!

thefabfive
13th June 2006, 08:00 PM
Alas, it looks like at least Russia won't stick. The setting reverts to United States after exit. Don't waste your time changing anything over yet.

But I'm sure the ND team is working hard to fix this.

gammascalper
13th June 2006, 08:09 PM
Alas, it looks like at least Russia won't stick. The setting revert to United States after exit.

But I'm sure the ND is working hard to fix this.

Ed hasn't been specific, but I *think* the country selector creates an ad preview as if the user was viewing the ad from the location selected. I assumed the country setting reverting to the US didn't change anything.

Ed care to comment?

thefabfive
13th June 2006, 08:14 PM
You are correct, gamma. Same thing happens for Japanese and I think we've concluded that those work fine.

Party's on again!

Explorer
13th June 2006, 08:18 PM
This is a major development. It may not be perfect yet, but it's a significant step in the right direction.

gammascalper
13th June 2006, 08:18 PM
It's a little hard taking on faith that the parking pages look like what we're shown in the previews, that's for sure.

But yeah, Party on Garth!

NameDriver
13th June 2006, 08:22 PM
Party on Wayne...

The preview is simply to see how the pages will look for a user with an IP from that country.

I did promise...

:)

Ed

bwhhisc
13th June 2006, 08:28 PM
You are correct, gamma. Same thing happens for Japanese and I think we've concluded that those work fine. Party's on again!

Are you getting traffic for Japanese?

NameDriver
13th June 2006, 08:28 PM
P.S.
Thanks very much for our translators for the Russian and Arabic portals, they look fabulous. Thai, Korean and maybe even India would be very very much appreciated.
I believe Mr. Guru is looking to work some magic there.
Ed

alpha
13th June 2006, 08:57 PM
P.S.
Thanks very much for our translators for the Russian and Arabic portals, they look fabulous. Thai, Korean and maybe even India would be very very much appreciated.
I believe Mr. Guru is looking to work some magic there.
Ed

you're the man Mr Ed. :)

thefabfive
13th June 2006, 09:22 PM
Are you getting traffic for Japanese?
Me? No, not much Japanese traffic to speak of. But my Japanese names aren't exactly cream of the crop.

gammascalper
13th June 2006, 09:51 PM
I don't get much traffic to Japanese either.

The best performers are novelty names, which people seem to type-in curious to see if they actually do work, like あいうえお.

Ed:

Can you confirm that namedrive is using the domain name as keyword when no keyword is entered? That way we will only have to actively optimize the compound non-CKJ IDN.

burnsinternet
13th June 2006, 10:14 PM
Those Russian ads are awesome! That's my best suit, and it is incredible! I get a lot of traffic to date, and few clicks, so this should really help with mine! KUDOS!

Rubber Duck
13th June 2006, 10:27 PM
Those Russian ads are awesome! That's my best suit, and it is incredible! I get a lot of traffic to date, and few clicks, so this should really help with mine! KUDOS!

Well my CTR on Russian has been about 15% which is less than Arabic but this should certainly help us get that figure up and hopeful land a few richer pickings as well!

Drewbert
14th June 2006, 02:00 AM
I don't get much traffic to Japanese either.

The best performers are novelty names, which people seem to type-in curious to see if they actually do work, like あいうえお.

Ed:

Can you confirm that namedrive is using the domain name as keyword when no keyword is entered? That way we will only have to actively optimize the compound non-CKJ IDN.

This would be an INCREDIBLE time saver. About 95% of my IDN's are pure keywords. If I only had to go through the other 5% to put the correct keyword hint in, I would save HOURS of work.

If it's not happening already Ed, please consider doing this. Maybe as an option assignable as default? "use domain name as keyword".

Rubber Duck
14th June 2006, 08:36 AM
This would be an INCREDIBLE time saver. About 95% of my IDN's are pure keywords. If I only had to go through the other 5% to put the correct keyword hint in, I would save HOURS of work.

If it's not happening already Ed, please consider doing this. Maybe as an option assignable as default? "use domain name as keyword".

Sedo do this, but as many good Keywords have few Ads to date, it is not quite as good as it sounds.

NameDriver
14th June 2006, 09:32 AM
Hi guys,

For Latin character names, Google will 'read' the domain and return ads without use of a keyword. If this doesn't happen for IDN names, tech have said it is because of Google rather than us.
In addition to this, lame as it may sound, as none of us speak Japanese etc, it's hard to see if the ads Google returns automatically actually match the domain name. Maybe some people in Japan / Russia such as Olney or Edwin could confirm whether this works or not for them...

Ed

Rubber Duck
14th June 2006, 09:37 AM
Hi guys,

For Latin character names, Google will 'read' the domain and return ads without use of a keyword. If this doesn't happen for IDN names, tech have said it is because of Google rather than us.
In addition to this, lame as it may sound, as none of us speak Japanese etc, it's hard to see if the ads Google returns automatically actually match the domain name. Maybe some people in Japan / Russia such as Olney or Edwin could confirm whether this works or not for them...

Ed

Sorry Ed, but I think you missed the point. Sedo, admittedly at times rather irritating name inputting process actually set the keyword as default to the truncated domain name. This in many instances would be the first keyword most would try especially for good names. This has nothing to do with Googles system it is to do with the interface. I think it is a useful feature and it should be straightforward to do this not only for IDN but for ASCII as well.

NameDriver
14th June 2006, 09:59 AM
Oh, I see.

The thing is with this is that if you add Doctor.com to my Sedo account and they automatically set the keyword to 'Doctor', this has exactly the same effect as parking Doctor.com with us and we submit 'Doctor.com' to Google. They then return ads for Doctor.
If you then list Doctorsexchange.com with Sedo and they set the keyword automatically to Doctorsexchange or Doctors Exchange or Doctor Sex Change, their automated system is still the same as simply submitting Doctorsexchange.com to Google who read the truncated domain name - I'd be inclined to trust the Google tech over anyone else in this as they love playing with this stuff.
So the issue is really whether Google can then read the IDN version of 'Doctor' or 'Doctorsexchange' as well as they can read ASCII versions. I would hope so, especially for the single keyword names, but I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't the case. Before, they were simply reading 'xn-' and getting confused, so I can understand the advantage of having a Sedo style auto-keyowrd option.

Ed

Rubber Duck
14th June 2006, 10:47 AM
Oh, I see.

The thing is with this is that if you add Doctor.com to my Sedo account and they automatically set the keyword to 'Doctor', this has exactly the same effect as parking Doctor.com with us and we submit 'Doctor.com' to Google. They then return ads for Doctor.
If you then list Doctorsexchange.com with Sedo and they set the keyword automatically to Doctorsexchange or Doctors Exchange or Doctor Sex Change, their automated system is still the same as simply submitting Doctorsexchange.com to Google who read the truncated domain name - I'd be inclined to trust the Google tech over anyone else in this as they love playing with this stuff.
So the issue is really whether Google can then read the IDN version of 'Doctor' or 'Doctorsexchange' as well as they can read ASCII versions. I would hope so, especially for the single keyword names, but I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't the case. Before, they were simply reading 'xn-' and getting confused, so I can understand the advantage of having a Sedo style auto-keyowrd option.

Ed

So to summarise are you saying that if we set no keyword it will default to the truncated domain, so there is no need to do anything?

NameDriver
14th June 2006, 11:32 AM
As mentioned earier, this is exactly what happens with ASCII domains but I'd need someone in country who understands the native language to confirm for me. I know that Google previously had trouble with reading IDN names straight up.

Ed

domainguru
14th June 2006, 01:26 PM
As mentioned earier, this is exactly what happens with ASCII domains but I'd need someone in country who understands the native language to confirm for me. I know that Google previously had trouble with reading IDN names straight up.

Ed

I'm pretty sure (90%) it doesn't happen. A couple of weeks ago I went through and set the keywords manually for all my thai domains. This was as a result of thinking it wasn't reading the keyword from the domain ....

jaik
14th June 2006, 01:42 PM
how can i optimize my domain using country settings?
plz help

Drewbert
14th June 2006, 05:59 PM
Here's another feature request.

At present, you have to click the magnifying glass and watch for the little javascript speech bubble to find out that "this keyword did not trigger any results".

How about colouring the magnifying glass red for those situations, so a quick scan of a folder will tell us if we need to make some changes?

gammascalper
14th June 2006, 07:17 PM

Ed

Ed, I did a little testing with the previews.

If no keyword is selected, it appears that the keyword is taken as the full domain name including the extension, which doesn't bring up many ads.

For example:

のスポンサーリンク オブジェクト.com »

will bring up one ad while

のスポンサーリンク オブジェクト »

brings up a full page of ads

It looks like a simple strip of the extension including the 'dot' would do.

alpha
20th June 2006, 08:13 AM
Ed, I did a little testing with the previews.

If no keyword is selected, it appears that the keyword is taken as the full domain name including the extension, which doesn't bring up many ads.

For example:

のスポンサーリンク オブジェクト.com »

will bring up one ad while

のスポンサーリンク オブジェクト »

brings up a full page of ads

It looks like a simple strip of the extension including the 'dot' would do.

Ed: do you have an update for us on this?

I really am not cherishing the thought of having to go through and put my domain name minus extension in all the keywords.

NameDriver
20th June 2006, 08:29 AM
I do.

As of yesterday evening, any IDN domains which have no keywords set will take the truncated domain as the keyword. Plesae try it out and let me know if you see anything that needs to be changed.
This is just a fix which tech have done for you IDN guys as Google have no problem 'reading' ASCII domains we submit to them.

Thanks to guru, we should have a Thai portal and fully-translated Thai pages up very soon as well.

Ed

alpha
20th June 2006, 08:39 AM
I do.

As of yesterday evening, any IDN domains which have no keywords set will take the truncated domain as the keyword. Plesae try it out and let me know if you see anything that needs to be changed.
This is just a fix which tech have done for you IDN guys as Google have no problem 'reading' ASCII domains we submit to them.

Thanks to guru, we should have a Thai portal and fully-translated Thai pages up very soon as well.

Ed

Awesome news Ed!

Be sure to check back here for feedback.

Drewbert
20th June 2006, 08:55 AM
Thanks Ed, that's excellent news!

Any comment on my idea of changing the colour of the magnifying glass so we can quickly tell which domain aren't triggering any results?

gammascalper
20th June 2006, 08:58 AM
Thanks Ed, that's excellent news!

Any comment on my idea of changing the colour of the magnifying glass so we can quickly tell which domain aren't triggering any results?

Drewbert's suggestion would be a cool feature to have too and a big timesaver. It would complement what you just did.

Nice work Ed!

NameDriver
22nd June 2006, 08:35 PM
Hi guys,

Quick update:
Thai and Korean landing pages and portals have now been added to the system. That is pretty much all the requests we have received so far - apart from Hebrew where we're waiting on the translations. Anything else you'd like?
These countries have now been added to the page preview magnifier too.
Ed

Rubber Duck
22nd June 2006, 09:11 PM
Hi guys,

Quick update:
Thai and Korean landing pages and portals have now been added to the system. That is pretty much all the requests we have received so far - apart from Hebrew where we're waiting on the translations. Anything else you'd like?
These countries have now been added to the page preview magnifier too.
Ed

Well Farsi would be good but you'll struggle to find translations, Hindi would also be nice but Google don't seem to have got a foot in the door their yet!

thefabfive
22nd June 2006, 09:17 PM
Those Thai and Korean pages look great. Nice job.

Anything else you'd like?
Farsi and Portuguese would be nice. Portuguese translations shouldn't be that hard to find.

idn
22nd June 2006, 09:28 PM
Turkish?

idn
22nd June 2006, 09:28 PM
Turkish?

touchring
22nd June 2006, 09:44 PM
Those Thai and Korean pages look great. Nice job.

Farsi and Portuguese would be nice. Portuguese translations shouldn't be that hard to find.

Portuguese landing pages will be much appreciated. My portuguese CTR is super low! :(

Clotho
23rd June 2006, 08:59 AM
In many of the countries that IDN's will service they have a habit of using bookmarks and search engines to navigate. This is due to the fact that they were unable previously to navigate via url. Would it be possible to have a 'click here to bookmark this page' link on our parked pages? If you think this would clutter things too much would it be possible to put it on just one of the templates?

It would also be nice if it could track how many users take advantage of this feature.

Thank you for your hard work and dilligence.

NameDriver
23rd June 2006, 09:07 AM
I asked for portuguese yesterday morning, so I'm ahead of you :)
Should be with us soon. Surprised it's been so long.
Turkish is a good idea. Anybody able to help on that, please send me a mail and I can get you the sheet.
Farsi. Am I right in thinking that's only Iran? We'd gladly get it up if anyone can speak it. I know someone who understands it but that's as far as it goes...

Ed

Wot
23rd June 2006, 11:55 AM
Thai portal looks really good, even made some money from clicks but will have to save up for a while to get my first bottle of Singha :)

Rubber Duck
23rd June 2006, 12:02 PM
I asked for portuguese yesterday morning, so I'm ahead of you :)
Should be with us soon. Surprised it's been so long.
Turkish is a good idea. Anybody able to help on that, please send me a mail and I can get you the sheet.
Farsi. Am I right in thinking that's only Iran? We'd gladly get it up if anyone can speak it. I know someone who understands it but that's as far as it goes...

Ed

Farsi has good traffic which converts nicely. It is mainly Iran but also part of Afghanistan and Central Asia. Also overlaps vocabulary with Arabic and Urdu.

Drewbert
30th August 2006, 06:13 AM
Turkey added to customise country list today.

touchring
30th August 2006, 08:46 AM
Turkey added to customise country list today.

Ahh...Turkish, Drew's favorite. ;)

alexd
30th August 2006, 09:27 AM
Anyone know if there are any plans to add Greek to Namedrive ???

Alex

Rubber Duck
30th August 2006, 09:39 AM
Anyone know if there are any plans to add Greek to Namedrive ???

Alex

They are probably waiting for you to come up with Translations for the Template.

alexd
30th August 2006, 10:30 AM
They are probably waiting for you to come up with Translations for the Template.

You know, if there was any way I could help, I would be more than willing.

EDIT: I just sent off an email to Namedrive about Greek IDN support, and offered to help if they need. We will see what happens.

Rubber Duck
30th August 2006, 10:39 AM
You know, if there was any way I could help, I would be more than willing.

EDIT: I just sent off an email to Namedrive about Greek IDN support, and offered to help if they need. We will see what happens.

In the first instance just PM Namedrive and tell him that you want Greek and that you are willing to do the translation for them.

I imagine there is a lot of National Pride at stake if the Turks already have theirs up!

alexd
30th August 2006, 10:43 AM
I imagine there is a lot of National Pride at stake if the Turks already have theirs up!

I try and stay out of political themes like that. There is enough tension in the world without adding to it. But it would be nice to get some Greek support for IDNs at Namedrive, as I am definately not the only one who has Greek IDNs.

Rubber Duck
30th August 2006, 10:47 AM
I try and stay out of political themes like that. There is enough tension in the world without adding to it. But it would be nice to get some Greek support for IDNs at Namedrive, as I am definately not the only one who has Greek IDNs.

Just kidding and you obviously don't need that kind of motivation.

alexd
30th August 2006, 03:05 PM
Just heard back from Namedrive regarding my email that I sent a few hours ago. I must admit I was suprised to have received a reply so quickly......

"We return advertising based on IP region and Google has an extensive
amount of international advertising. While we don't have a preview
setting for viewing sites from Greek IP's yet, the language setting
under 'customize' is a preview only and does not actually change any
settings for the sites. The ads will still be geo-targeted based on IP
and so Google should still be able to provide ads for those names.
Regardless, I've contacted our technical department with your request to
add Greece to the drop down of available countries."

It's nice to see that Namedrive do take the time to listen to clients, and actually reply back.

30th August 2006, 03:07 PM
True, Ed is always helpful and quick with responding...he should come visit here more often

Rubber Duck
30th August 2006, 03:55 PM
It's nice to see that Namedrive do take the time to listen to clients, and actually reply back.

Yes, in distinct contrast to........What was that other outfit called again?