PDA

View Full Version : Japanese versus Korean

touchring
13th June 2006, 09:13 PM
Just checked my Japanese and Korean portfolio for this month, seems to me that Korean has greater Asian traffic than Japanese for generic terms (no domains with romaji website) of equivalent OVT.

My traffic might be too low to be "statistically significant", but has anyone made a similar comparison?

Japan has a bigger population than Korea (twice i believe). Any ideas on the reasons behind the difference?

grubstaker
13th June 2006, 10:10 PM
Just checked my Japanese and Korean portfolio for this month, seems to me that Korean has greater Asian traffic than Japanese for generic terms (no domains with romaji website) of equivalent OVT.

My traffic might be too low to be "statistically significant", but has anyone made a similar comparison?

Japan has a bigger population than Korea (twice i believe). Any ideas on the reasons behind the difference?

Just wanted to say that my portfolio seems to show the same...

Rubber Duck
13th June 2006, 10:45 PM
We don't have any Korean domains. The reason for this was it was apparent early on the the Koreans have adopted IDN to a much greater extent than Japan. It was decided that there were much richer pickings to be had elsewhere and we found Korean difficult to get to grips with. Most of the dictionaries at that time only went one way. The wrong way. Later I came across a huge amount of Korean Web content. Korean traffic will be higher because these domains are already effectively in use. I don't know what they use for a browser support but they must be using something.

IDNCowboy
13th June 2006, 11:33 PM
I'm surprised with the Japanese names as they aren't getting the amount of traffic compared to the other countries.....

hopefully japanese names will get traffic once IE 7 comes about.

rhys
13th June 2006, 11:50 PM
I am hearing this from a Korean friend who works at MSN so don't take my word for it. Apparently at least one large Korean ISP requires users to download a modifier for the browser that enables among other things support for IDN. So this is probably less of an alient concept for Koreans versus others. Per capita the number of registered IDNs is through the roof in Korean versus other Asian languages. So net net I wouldn't be surprised that there is more natural traffic in Korean domains. Good for those guys who have Korean domains I guess.

touchring
14th June 2006, 04:53 AM
I am hearing this from a Korean friend who works at MSN so don't take my word for it. Apparently at least one large Korean ISP requires users to download a modifier for the browser that enables among other things support for IDN. So this is probably less of an alient concept for Koreans versus others. Per capita the number of registered IDNs is through the roof in Korean versus other Asian languages. So net net I wouldn't be surprised that there is more natural traffic in Korean domains. Good for those guys who have Korean domains I guess.

Ok, that might be the explanation. But Korean has a lot less Google ads than Japanese - this is one problem area. I remember hanidn used domainsponsor?