PDA

View Full Version : Our IDN type in stats

imported_admin
16th September 2005, 11:03 AM
We've only been buying International Domain Names for little over a month.

We'd like to share exactly which of our now 23 domains are getting type in traffic.
Possibly we have an explanation for some

1. テレビ局.com (TV Station) not exactly just type-ins we put lots of backlinks up so we are getting hits from links & type ins (actually we can't tell)
2. 高校野球.com (High School Baseball) is getting pure type ins we think possibly because most kids in Japan are first time internet users & will just type in phrases where they can. Since it gets over 2,600,000 searches a month definitely type in traffic by kids is expected.
3. セール.com (Sale.com) This one is a surprise that the OVT stats are so low but we are getting some type in traffic.
4. 芸能新聞.com (EntertainmentNewspaper.com - Long in English huh for just 4 characters) This is picking up type in traffic. We might redirect this to a music magazine we are working with soon. This one is close to a whopping 2 million searches per month.

Type ins for all are small from 40 to 80 since we started buying these but it will increase as we start developing sites & will post stats.

Rubber Duck
16th September 2005, 03:41 PM
Yes, but the Japanese don't know it is long in English. Shh! Don't tell them.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Rubber Duck
16th September 2005, 03:51 PM
Are any of yours doing Overture with dot com extension.

This one does 47. Not huge but interesting nevertheless!

翻訳.com

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Well actually it doesn't the Japanese appear to be leaving out the dot.

Others appear to be

カレンダー com 107
ジャンプcom 11
楽譜 com 99
バイト 168

短期 バイト com does 1103 and resolves without the dot to:

http://www.tankibaito.com/index.html

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

imported_admin
16th September 2005, 04:30 PM
As far as the .com attachments.

I can explain. The good thing my company made this site is that we can explain the Japanese internet market & have developed for the Japanese market. The experience of the average Japanese is absolutely WAYYY BELOW the average American...

Someone on another forum told us that our IDNs only had potential if it has a .com attached.

There are very few OVT searches with .com

I'll tell you exactly why those terms are being searched like that
1. They are looking for an already existing IDN .com
2. For Japanese currently they consider .com to be the equivalent of online tool

So your term "Translator" + .com means they are looking for a .com tranbslator
Or to make it clearer they are looking for an online translation tool
Not a translation company, not a pocket translator.

There are other terms that make this statement true they also search for .com in katakana コム(com) or ドットコム(dot com)
Basically good IDNers really have to stop just making assumptions based on US HIGH standards.
There are a few .com finds but Japanese think it to mean "online" or "website"

This is one post we made at Names Pro
http://www.namepros.com/showthread.php?t=122358

It's not the fault or ignorance of the site
It's just that a lot of people think that the Japanese online market is as advanced as the US market.
It isn't, nor is the level of internet users.

That's exactly why we became so interested in buying Japanese IDNs
We start promoting native easy to remember IDNs in Japanese

People will remember it.

Rubber Duck
16th September 2005, 06:30 PM
Thanks for that!

I have never been to Japan and really have only had a handful of conversations with Japanese people and since those were in English over here, they would not of course be representative.

I think that my experience of working in Africa help me to some extent to escape the blinkered mindset of the Dotcomers, but clearly any insights into the way things are done in the Far East are extremely valuable.

I am a big fan of Toyota, and of course I assume that Japanese are at the cutting edge. It is interesting to learn that this is not always the case.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon