PDA

View Full Version : New Updates at Name Pros !

thegenius1
14th June 2006, 05:10 PM
Well just incase it got burried in these Runaway threads , Name Pros one of the Biggest Domain Name Forums as Implemeted a IDN Section to their Forum. A great Step For all Parties involved... One of the reason this happend was do to some heated debates in the NP chatroom and Also a thread that was started here at IDNF before the Chatroom battle took off.

I will take the time to say that maybe a screenshot of someones words may not be the best thing to do , but the only other Option was to just quote him. But in any event the quote of peoples words where not intended to make a person look bad , it was a notice to some of the bigger dogs on this forum to have a 1 on 1 with him like orginally stated " Somebody here needs to have a 1 on 1 with him ASAP ! "

As it has been said RJ heads up a Big Domain Forum the overall view of IDNs is not widly excepted on NP and with the Owner making " Blunt " comments, that gives every member the right to just follow in his foot Steps. So basically bringin light to this situation is not personal it was just business.

I dont need or want all the new members that just joined from NP hoping in this thread turning it into another big argument , if anything let RJ reply , but most likely he has already gotten over it and is looking for some Korean IDN's to buy :)

Thanks Genius

jose
14th June 2006, 08:47 PM
Great to know. Finaly! Too bad it's not a sales forum yet.

My nick there is JAugusto. (From José Augusto)

I've been hanging around NP since Dec 2004... I wish I had been around IDNForums for so long also. Would be rich by now...

touchring
14th June 2006, 09:10 PM

I've been hanging around NP since Dec 2004... I wish I had been around IDNForums for so long also. Would be rich by now...

I noticed that Dillpup has been registering latin idns since 2004, if you noticed his posts, you would have been rich by now.

I couldn't in anyway, i didn't even know domain forums existed or what the term "domainer" meant before Oct 2005. :o I wished i had surfed around more.

Rubber Duck
14th June 2006, 09:26 PM

Well, it might have been a bit lonely because Olney didn't arrive to the following September!

touchring
14th June 2006, 09:48 PM
Well, it might have been a bit lonely because Olney didn't arrive to the following September!

Well, it came at the right time for you. If it came too early, you wouldn't have the chance to build up your base.

But anyway, i think there might be another chance coming next year or maybe the year after - the stock market is giving us a preview of what is going to happen in the future.

If America is hit, everyone in Asia will be hit - they are not immune as Drewbert said. Once again, i have to say - make sure you got holding power.

Rubber Duck
14th June 2006, 09:50 PM
Well, it came at the right time for you. If it came too early, you wouldn't have the chance to build up your base.

But anyway, i think there might be another chance coming next year and maybe the year after - the stock market is giving us a preview of what is going to happen. Once again, i have to say - make sure you got holding power.

The money will still be around, just looking for a new home!

When money is tight advertising budgets expand. More supplier chancing fewer customers means more advertising!

touchring
14th June 2006, 10:00 PM
The money will still be around, just looking for a new home!

When money is tight advertising budgets expand. More supplier chancing fewer customers means more advertising!

Well, i hope so, i still depend on PPC to pay off the reg fees.

The increase in interest rates is causing the upheaval on the stock markets, but the dollar is still falling despite the increase - i'm losing quite a lot from the exchange rate - i was getting 1.70 Singapore Dollar for an American dollar second half of last year, and now it's 1.59, the other day, it dropped to 1.56.

Ironically, the RMB is pegged to the US dollar, so i'm paying less for Chinese goods and services, so effectively, the dollar hasn't gone down against the RMB.

The situation in China is also not normal, too much money dumped into office building and luxury condo projects that are not occupied, or could not be tenanted out - especially so for the second and third tier cities. Reminiscent of what happened in Bangkok and Seoul during the 1997 Asian crisis.

I'm no economist, but this situation is not normal.

Of cos, aside from what's happening on the market money, i've no doubts that idns are the future, so the key is holding power.

Rubber Duck
14th June 2006, 10:26 PM
Well, i hope so, i still depend on PPC to pay off the reg fees.

The increase in interest rates is causing the upheaval on the stock markets, but the dollar is still falling despite the increase - i'm losing quite a lot from the exchange rate - i was getting 1.70 Singapore Dollar for an American dollar second half of last year, and now it's 1.59, the other day, it dropped to 1.56.

Ironically, the RMB is pegged to the US dollar, so i'm paying less for Chinese goods and services, so effectively, the dollar hasn't gone down against the RMB.

The situation in China is also not normal, too much money dumped into office building and luxury condo projects that are not occupied, or could not be tenanted out - especially so for the second and third tier cities. Reminiscent of what happened in Bangkok and Seoul during the 1997 Asian crisis.

I'm no economist, but this situation is not normal.

Of cos, aside from what's happening on the market money, i've no doubts that idns are the future, so the key is holding power.

The thing putting the breaks on PPC after IE 7.0 is lack of Adwords. If markets are tights firms dig deep and advertise. They may cut staff but advertising budgets go up very significantly. If you can sell everything you can make advertising is pointless. If you have inventory and no buyers your first phone call is to the advertisers. Don't worry, some industries are counter-cyclical. We are now firmly in the Advertising industry, indeed we are in the vanguard, because if money is tight they will want the biggest bang for their bucks, and anyone who knows anything will tell them the Internet is the place to go! Advertising is not a defensive stock. When the economy is on the way down, you are commissioned to stage a counter attack!

IDNCowboy
14th June 2006, 10:34 PM
I noticed that Dillpup has been registering latin idns since 2004, if you noticed his posts, you would have been rich by now.

I couldn't in anyway, i didn't even know domain forums existed or what the term "domainer" meant before Oct 2005. :o I wished i had surfed around more.
I've actually talked to dilpup for a bit online and he does browse idnforums ;)

Rubber Duck
14th June 2006, 10:38 PM
I've actually talked to dilpup for a bit online and he does browse idnforums ;)

Dilpup was here way before you were!

jose
15th June 2006, 01:08 AM

Touch, I have known IDN's since 2001!

In 1993 I created a WebDesign company the moment I saw the web page of a big institution on Mosaic. I thought: this was made by the engineers of that company, and that’s ok for ftp, gopher, telnet, news, but not for this. This is all about design! It’s the face of a company. I started blogging by same time, way before the term was coined. Even archive.org, which collected all my posts, came years after me. Netscape ruled. Internet Explorer was launched on 1996.

ICANN announced IDN’s on 2001 but only defined the rules for registars two years later, on 2003. I don’t know how people were able to register domains before 2003, but oh well, that’s another of those ICANN under the table mysteries.

Anyway on that time, the general feeling about IDN’s was something like: another nice idea. Dot and new paragraph. But I knew better. I knew it would be big business. ASCII domains were already being sold for millions and this was definitively a new start.

However, I also knew the power of the ASCII lobby. I thought: they will never let this go, because it would devaluate their ASCII portfolios big time. I read everything I could get about it, and the idea I got was that neither ICANN nor Microsoft were in the mood to bring it up quickly. There are many ICANN great ideas that never leave the blue prints (global drops auction, anyone?) and Microsoft nearly released browser, IE6, didn’t support IDN’s!

So I made up my mind: I’ll jump on it the day dominant Microsoft IE announces support for it. I just have to wait a year or so… or so I thought. Giving the IE past release history till that time (almost a new browser every year) I could never imagine it would take more than 5 years for IE7!

When I heard rumors of IE7 and IDN support and jumped in. As you all know that day came only later last year. And, in the end, that's what started this rush and IDNForums, IMHO.

Drewbert
15th June 2006, 04:41 AM
>If America is hit, everyone in Asia will be hit - they are not immune as Drewbert said.

The only thing propping up the US economy is China and Saudi Arabia - because they are sitting on so many USD at present. The USA is financially (and morally) bankrupt. They have been printing more and more money (and spending it foolishly) to keep their economy afloat and their people happy and it's all about to come home to roost. They have been changing the way they measure economic indicators to try to stave off the truth*. The big holders of USD have been quietly moving out of the USD, hoping to convert as much as possible before the run starts.

When it does, the countries (and people) holding gold and natural resources will be the survivors.

1. Change in method of calculating unemployment level.

2. US total personal debt exceeds US total personal savings for first time since 1930's.

3. Halt in release of "M3" figure - google +m3 +"economic indicator" for a quick education in how important this figure is - the US Treasury stopped reporting this figure in March with no good reason. http://www.federalreserve.gov/releases/h6/discm3.htm

Take a look at the graph of "estimated ownership of US public debt" half way down http://www.europe2020.org/en/section_global/150206.htm

The further you dig to find the truth, the worse it all looks.

IDNCowboy
15th June 2006, 04:53 AM
Dilpup was here way before you were!
I'm no newbie tho ;-).
I've been on Sitepoint/DNForum for years.

touchring
15th June 2006, 08:18 AM
>If America is hit, everyone in Asia will be hit - they are not immune as Drewbert said.

The only thing propping up the US economy is China and Saudi Arabia - because they are sitting on so many USD at present. The USA is financially (and morally) bankrupt. They have been printing more and more money (and spending it foolishly) to keep their economy afloat and their people happy and it's all about to come home to roost. They have been changing the way they measure economic indicators to try to stave off the truth*. The big holders of USD have been quietly moving out of the USD, hoping to convert as much as possible before the run starts.

When it does, the countries (and people) holding gold and natural resources will be the survivors.

1. Change in method of calculating unemployment level.

2. US total personal debt exceeds US total personal savings for first time since 1930's.

3. Halt in release of "M3" figure - google +m3 +"economic indicator" for a quick education in how important this figure is - the US Treasury stopped reporting this figure in March with no good reason. http://www.federalreserve.gov/releases/h6/discm3.htm

Take a look at the graph of "estimated ownership of US public debt" half way down http://www.europe2020.org/en/section_global/150206.htm

The further you dig to find the truth, the worse it all looks.

So, are IDNs natural resources? Some food for thought.

Gold is denominated in USD, so if USD drops, gold value will become smaller. Also, gold prices are now at historical highs, like never before. And the RMB is deeply pegged to the USD, so it will fall along with it.

If natural resources is the key, i guess the best bet will be on countries with more natural resources to export than people to feed.

Looking for a good hedge, still finding. hmm...

Drewbert
15th June 2006, 09:41 AM
>Gold is denominated in USD, so if USD drops, gold value will become smaller.

Gold is denominated in ounces.

The value of gold is "going up" because the value of the USD is falling in comparison to the gold standard. You're looking through the wrong end of the binoculars. :)

Rubber Duck
15th June 2006, 10:08 AM
All this talk is largely irrelevant to IDN. Domains are raw material in the Online Advertising Industry, which is one of the fastest growth areas on earth. IDN are immerging as the new technology product that is going to put a lot of ASCII in the dustbin of history. Recession has never greatly impeded the adoption of revolutionary new products.

The Advertising is the classical conter-cyclic Industry. As things get tougher all the way around companies try to grab a larger slice of the shrinking cake. They have often have very high fix investment cost, which require through put, even if they are working at a loss. They loose less by keeping the wheels turning than by turning the processes off. They have two options: cut throat price competition or intensive advertising. Obviously, most are prepared to have a go at the latter. As capitalist economies go into recession advertising booms. Those companies that are suffering the worst will often advertise more than those that are doing OK!

The Geometrics of IDN, will not in the least bit be adversely affected by the US economy going down the tubes. They will cause a boom in the Website Design and SEO markets particulary in Asia. They will provide an excellent alternative investment for those disillusioned in the stock markets and real estate, that can't quite get their head around investing in Gold or Art.

Drewbert
15th June 2006, 07:26 PM
Which is why it IS relevant - people whose domain portfolio is 100% ASCII and reliant on mainly US PPC income are sitting on a time bomb.

This discussion is about what makes IDN's different and THIS IS IT!

IDNCowboy
15th June 2006, 07:45 PM
Which is why it IS relevant - people whose domain portfolio is 100% ASCII and reliant on mainly US PPC income are sitting on a time bomb.

This discussion is about what makes IDN's different and THIS IS IT!
It depends... The big portfolio holders of ascii names will still make money(IReit etc). The American market is still big even though the U.S. Gov't is bankrupt :P.

touchring
15th June 2006, 07:57 PM
It depends... The big portfolio holders of ascii names will still make money(IReit etc). The American market is still big even though the U.S. Gov't is bankrupt :P.

Yes, for PPC, it would seem that the worst case scenario is probably a 20% to 30% drop. But we also have to consider that in the event of a drop, Google might decide to keep the better earning ads for their own search engine instead of PPC services - this would reduce PPC even further.

In fact, even without an actual slowdown, we've all experienced first hand how our earnings at ND can suddenly drop and rise at the whims of Google.

For IDNs, hopefully, with the launch of IE7, the increase in traffic due to IE7 would more than offset these possible future scenarios.

Drewbert
17th June 2006, 09:04 AM
Interesting blog mentioning the coming US economy slowdown. There's a post in the comments that outlines why China won't really be that affected even though they're holding lots of USD.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2006/6/16/83940/6445

Rubber Duck
17th June 2006, 09:14 AM
For IDNs, hopefully, with the launch of IE7, the increase in traffic due to IE7 would more than offset these possible future scenarios.

We are not just dependent on browser support. We are also pretty much reliant on Google expanding its advertising base. The volatility shows just how much on the margins we are, but it is also an indication how quickly earnings can go North when Google ends up with more Ads than clicks.