PDA

View Full Version : World cup and drop in internet advertising (including PPC)

touchring
14th June 2006, 07:17 PM
Has anyone noticed a significant drop in PPC due to World Cup. My PPC dropped about 15%, adsense on one website fell even more.

rhys
14th June 2006, 10:39 PM
Has anyone noticed a significant drop in PPC due to World Cup. My PPC dropped about 15%, adsense on one website fell even more.

Traffic is way down for me this week for IDNs though I don' know the exact cause.

Rubber Duck
14th June 2006, 10:41 PM
Traffic is way down for me this week for IDNs though I don' know the exact cause.

Me too but optimising using Namedrives new tools has more or less cancelled this out in the last twenty four hours.

thefabfive
14th June 2006, 11:04 PM
I've actually seen an increase in traffic in the past week.

Russian CTR seems a little down after I converted some keywords to Russian. But not much data there to draw a conclusion.

idn
15th June 2006, 01:34 AM
Everyone keeps talking about optimizing their domains. Is this truly worth doing? I am sure it affects revenue somewhat, but at this stage of the game is it substantial enough to justify going through each domain?

Drewbert
15th June 2006, 04:09 AM
Everyone keeps talking about optimizing their domains. Is this truly worth doing? I am sure it affects revenue somewhat, but at this stage of the game is it substantial enough to justify going through each domain?

You're should do it at some stage, or you're throwing money away. Better now, if you have the time.

I have ASCII domains that I'd forgotten I'd regged and the traffic was disappearing down a black hole.

One of those, I found recently (about a month ago), pointed it to PPC and it's now doing $40/day. I've had it for 5 years. Do the math - optimise early!

touchring
15th June 2006, 06:35 AM
You're should do it at some stage, or you're throwing money away. Better now, if you have the time.

I have ASCII domains that I'd forgotten I'd regged and the traffic was disappearing down a black hole.

One of those, I found recently (about a month ago), pointed it to PPC and it's now doing $40/day. I've had it for 5 years. Do the math - optimise early!

Wait, you mean your registrar had been earning $40 a day for the past 5 years??

Drewbert
15th June 2006, 06:39 AM
Wait, you mean your registrar had been earning $40 a day for the past 5 years??

Nope. it was either not resolving, or I had it going to an "under construction" page with no links on it. :O

One of the downsides of having too many doians and regging them faster than you can check them all and do something with them.

All the IDN's I registered when I started in February/March are all in the same boat. I have to find some time to load them all into ND and Dopa.

touchring
15th June 2006, 07:43 AM
Nope. it was either not resolving, or I had it going to an "under construction" page with no links on it. :O

One of the downsides of having too many doians and regging them faster than you can check them all and do something with them.

All the IDN's I registered when I started in February/March are all in the same boat. I have to find some time to load them all into ND and Dopa.

Ok, at least that's a consolation. LOL. I can imagine how much money Netsol is earning from those forgotten generics.

I'm now feeding names i registered in May and June into ND, it's a mess, i have to "refeed" all my names to ensure i didn't miss any - i've created a "testing" folder just for this purpose. Surely ND can provide a better solution - solve this time wasting problem, and your market share will fly.

Rubber Duck
15th June 2006, 07:50 AM

Optimizing is not a once off process at best it suck and see. At the moment because there are no PPC ads on a lot of domains although the keywords will show adverts in seach, there are a limited number of keywords that work well. If you optimise now you will often get a mismatch, but I think it is worth playing around with the terms with decent traffic to get a feel for how the system works. I wouldn't make a career out of it at this stage though!

touchring
15th June 2006, 08:04 AM
Optimizing is not a once off process at best it suck and see. At the moment because there are no PPC ads on a lot of domains although the keywords will show adverts in seach, there are a limited number of keywords that work well. If you optimise now you will often get a mismatch, but I think it is worth playing around with the terms with decent traffic to get a feel for how the system works. I wouldn't make a career out of it at this stage though!

So far, what i've done for optimization is just category selection and pasting the domain w/o ext in the keyword column.

Somehow, i just got the fear that Google might penalize my domain for showing the default portal page.