PDA

View Full Version : Some good advice i found on DNJournal's interview with top domain stock analyst

touchring
17th June 2006, 08:29 AM
Some good advice i found on DNJournal's interview with Domain Stock Analyst, Jordan Rohan.

Rohan proved to be an especially timely guest. A noted stock analyst who covers Google, Rohan was quoted on the front page of USA Today Wednesday morning (on the plunge in Google stock when earnings had come out the day before), the same day he took the podium at T.R.A.F.F.I.C. Rohan probably knows more about the domain channel than any other stock analyst working today. He was a vocal supporter of Marchex when it was $14 a share and predicted the run up to $24 that followed. He predicts the company will be worth $1 Billion by the end of next year and is looking for the stock to hits $30. Rohan also believes Marchex got an exceptionally good buy with their $164 million purchase of the Name Development portfolio last year.

DNJournal - http://www.dnjournal.com/cover/2006/february-page2.htm

Point 1. Rohan sees domains as a very attractive industry but he also expressed the belief that current owners should consider taking some money off the table. There are always unforeseen risks and Rohan said that in this space the most likely disruption would come from an unforeseen technological change of some kind. Diversifying is the only way to protect yourself against that. Rohan also believes in developing content for your domains.
My interpretation: Ok, means cash in part of your portfolio and diversify your investment before the technological change comes. That's what RD is doing.

Point 2. He predicted that within the next few years all sites and individual pages would be ranked according to their content and you will have no chance for a good ranking unless you have competitive content on your domains.
- In other words, current SEO methods will not work, only real content and natural type-in brings in traffic.

Point 3. Rohan added that people who use sites are the most valuable asset and domains that come with those users will be the ones sought out by buyers.
- I guess that would mean the most valuable asset is PPC, and not domains themselves. We can assume he read Edwin's 1997 FAQ. :)

Point 4. Burke also recommends diversification of your assets by selling some and increasing the value of those you hold by building businesses on them to prove their viability. He noted that history shows that many got better deals in the early stages of consolidation (where we are now with domains) than those who sold later in the cycle.
- Would that mean now is the time to sell? And does he know about IDNs? Maybe someone can ask him. What stage of the game are IDNs now?

Any contrarian comments from you guys will be interesting. :)

alex
17th June 2006, 09:45 AM
Only having read your quotations, the optimists among us could imagine that IDNs are the "unforeseen technological change" which causes a "disruption" in the traditional ASCII domain market.

Rohan added that people who use sites are the most valuable asset and domains that come with those users will be the ones sought out by buyers.
I read that as meaning strong, active communities, social networks, community interaction and community driven/created content.

touchring
17th June 2006, 12:22 PM
Only having read your quotations, the optimists among us could imagine that IDNs are the "unforeseen technological change" which causes a "disruption" in the traditional ASCII domain market.

I read that as meaning strong, active communities, social networks, community interaction and community driven/created content.

Yes, this is a possibility, hence the strong reactions from members on NP forum.

idn1234
17th June 2006, 01:17 PM
Rohan also believes Marchex got an exceptionally good buy with their $164 million purchase of the Name Development portfolio last year.

I have heard that the portfolio contained
a rather large no. of TM and not that many
quality generics.

Yes, earnings are important but the likes of
Google and Yahoo could impose a ppc model
shift overnight and then where would the
stability/earnings come from.

Interest comments...

touchring
17th June 2006, 01:27 PM
Rohan also believes Marchex got an exceptionally good buy with their $164 million purchase of the Name Development portfolio last year.

I have heard that the portfolio contained
a rather large no. of TM and not that many
quality generics.

Yes, earnings are important but the likes of
Google and Yahoo could impose a ppc model
shift overnight and then where would the
stability/earnings come from.

Interest comments...

Yes, has anyone heard of a new iREIT that got quite a lot of IDNs from Netster? Or did they acquire the idns? Thought it might be interesting if this iREIT is a listed company.

bwhhisc
17th June 2006, 01:45 PM

You took the words right out of my mouth! No doubt that current ascii websites urls are going to see their international traffic start to disappear.

Rubber Duck
23rd June 2006, 10:19 PM
You took the words right out of my mouth! No doubt that current ascii websites urls are going to see their international traffic start to disappear.

I think for most ASCII domains the effect will be slight. For those that have an Asian Focus the effects will be catastophic. I think the Pinyin dot commers will be hardest hit. But ASCII Asian Geographics will also be hit hard.

The biggest blood letting will be those poor fools who bought heavily into ASCII.IN.
I think we expect a few Jumpers in that department.

What is not going to happen is the exponential growth, that many ASCII domainers are expecting as the World comes online. Most of the Anglo Saxon World is pretty much wired up now. These guys have factored in growth from around the World. It will happen, but they won't benefit! I think this dream is being sold to IREID and other big investors who probably haven't wised up yet. There will be tears at bedtime.

bwhhisc
23rd June 2006, 11:22 PM
I think for most ASCII domains the effect will be slight. For those that have an Asian Focus the effects will be catastophic. I think the Pinyin dot commers will be hardest hit. But ASCII Asian Geographics will also be hit hard.

Those are the ascii domains I am talking about...all of those linked to foreign language websites and those currently targeting international business that will need to get an "idn" foothold. I don't think the effect on English speaking countries and "their" informational, cultural, and in-country business websites will be much at all.