PDA

View Full Version : 编码 vs 码

burnsinternet
17th June 2006, 05:29 PM
How would a two character .com such as 编码.com (coding) compare to a related single character .net such as 码.net (code)? The .com is usually better. If the Google trends is better for the two character but the Google pages are massive for the single character , does being 'single character' add enough advantage to match the value of the .com or is the .com extension just that much better?

touchring
17th June 2006, 05:39 PM
How would a two character .com such as 编码.com (coding) compare to a related single character .net such as 码.net (code)? The .com is usually better. If the Google trends is better for the two character but the Google pages are massive for the single character , does being 'single character' add enough advantage to match the value of the .com or is the .com extension just that much better?

码 is not a complete word in chinese.

I think the common term for code is 代码.

burnsinternet
17th June 2006, 05:46 PM
I have seen 码 combined with other characters for source code, etc. Anything related to code.

touchring
17th June 2006, 05:48 PM
Some chinese words, though, are single characters, e.g.

镇 - Town
县 - County
性 - Sex

Some words, though double characters, can be presented as single characters for good meaning or "brandable" as we describe in Western term.

E.g.
Wealth 财 - Full word is 财富
Integrity 德 - Full word is 道德

But i do not see how 码 can be brandable.

burnsinternet
17th June 2006, 06:04 PM
Only time will tell. Yahoo and Google seemed pretty stupid, too. Thanks, dude.

touchring
17th June 2006, 06:16 PM
It's not that Google and Yahoo are stupid, Chinese characters also act as sort of 'alphabets'.

If you search 'a', you're going to get 24 billion results, but if you search 'attitude' (which also has 'a' in it), you're only getting 182 million results.

markits
17th June 2006, 06:24 PM
Single word 码 means "pile up", "stack" (verb) in Chinese.

burnsinternet
17th June 2006, 07:03 PM
I get a lot more possible meanings than that. Numbers, a weight, number, yard, pile, stack, etc. Who cares? I am not selling that or anything. I just wanted to know about single vs double characters and relative values.

Forget I asked anything.

It's not that Google and Yahoo are stupid, Chinese characters also act as sort of 'alphabets'.

If you search 'a', you're going to get 24 billion results, but if you search 'attitude' (which also has 'a' in it), you're only getting 182 million results.

Bad example. a.com would be worth a fortune.

Also, Google and Yahoo are meaningless, silly sounding non-words in English.

touchring
17th June 2006, 07:10 PM
I get a lot more possible meanings than that. Numbers, a weight, number, yard, pile, stack, etc. Who cares? I am not selling that or anything. I just wanted to know about single vs double characters and relative values.

Forget I asked anything.

Bad example. a.com would be worth a fortune.

Also, Google and Yahoo are meaningless, silly sounding non-words in English.

Yes, bad example, can't figure out a good way to explain, unless you know either one of Chinese, Japanese or Korean, languages that are character based.