PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on anonymous WHOIS masking and DNOA?

alex
18th June 2006, 09:54 AM
I have WHOIS masking on most of my ASCII domains because of free promotions and privacy/spam concerns, but I do not have WHOIS masking on any of my IDN domains because of budget reasons.

I just learned that DNOA (http://www.dnoa.org/memberbenefits.php) offers WHOIS Privacy at part of their membership services. I am considering using the DNOA WHOIS privacy service on all of my IDN names.

1) What are your thoughts on WHOIS privacy options in general?

2) Does WHOIS privacy slow down or complicate the sales process beyond the point where the negatives outweigh the benefits?

3) Are there additional risks of losing the domain through fraud or if a legitimate complaint is made to the WHOIS privacy service?

4) Do you use WHOIS privacy on any of your IDNs? If so, do you use your registrar's WHOIS privacy service or a third-party service?

5) Any opinions on DNOA membership? Is it not really necessary? Or is there a better alternative?

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

IDNCowboy
18th June 2006, 04:42 PM
I have WHOIS masking on most of my ASCII domains because of free promotions and privacy/spam concerns, but I do not have WHOIS masking on any of my IDN domains because of budget reasons.

I just learned that DNOA (http://www.dnoa.org/memberbenefits.php) offers WHOIS Privacy at part of their membership services. I am considering using the DNOA WHOIS privacy service on all of my IDN names.

1) What are your thoughts on WHOIS privacy options in general?

2) Does WHOIS privacy slow down or complicate the sales process beyond the point where the negatives outweigh the benefits?

3) Are there additional risks of losing the domain through fraud or if a legitimate complaint is made to the WHOIS privacy service?

4) Do you use WHOIS privacy on any of your IDNs? If so, do you use your registrar's WHOIS privacy service or a third-party service?

5) Any opinions on DNOA membership? Is it not really necessary? Or is there a better alternative?

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.
DNOA is cool as long as both members are familiar with what it is. It is ideal for doing business on DNForum/NamePros/Domainstate.
It also works like the BBB in that you can give feedback on the seller and post warnings if something wasn't done right. (BBB for the domain world)

However if you do business with someone who isn't a member of it and is not familiar with the name it gets complicated. I use my P.O. box instead of paying for WHOIS privacy on each domain. The P.O. box is around $50/year(could be less) for the smallest one at USPS. I then still have my email address in the whois so I'm able to be reached and conduct domain sales.

Godaddy does have rules of using WHOIS privacy for illegal items or spamming.

I contacted someone about buying a domain who was using Registerfly's whois service. They had something like 193939@whoisfly.com and when they contacted me back they emailed me using their regular email account cause of of email forwarding. It does help in that step as if you aren't interested in selling you don't have to contact the interested party back and they just have the whois email addy.

alex
18th June 2006, 05:42 PM
Thanks for the info. I guess DNOA isn't the best solution for IDNs. I can deal with the spam and other email issues, but my main worry is ID theft and fraud. On the other hand, I don't want my domains stolen because I'm not using acceptable registration details.

Any other opinions?

IDNCowboy
19th June 2006, 12:07 AM
Thanks for the info. I guess DNOA isn't the best solution for IDNs. I can deal with the spam and other email issues, but my main worry is ID theft and fraud. On the other hand, I don't want my domains stolen because I'm not using acceptable registration details.

Any other opinions?
P.O. box is cool however if you don't renew theres a chance that you may get business email regarding your domains to the P.O. Box.

This happened to me indirectly. When I got a P.O. box the last person still was getting mail sent to it. He was getting his credit card statements with his CC # etc. Luckily I was honest and gave it back to the Post Office staff. It could have gotten in the wrong hands.

alex
19th June 2006, 10:01 AM
When I got a P.O. box the last person still was getting mail sent to it. He was getting his credit card statements with his CC # etc. Luckily I was honest and gave it back to the Post Office staff. It could have gotten in the wrong hands.

That's exactly what I don't want to happen.

---

From the lack of responses to this thread, I get the impression that WHOIS privacy isn't really a concern for most members. So, I guess I shouldn't be overly concerned about it.

blastfromthepast
24th July 2006, 12:30 PM
That's exactly what I don't want to happen.

The Postal Service as of last year has required photo IDs to open PO Boxes, records the names of the people using the box, and is only supposed to deliver mail to a box if it the name is on the list.

The former policy was to deliver mail if the address was correct, regardless of name.