PDA

View Full Version : Found big change in ASCII market after busy 6 mths with IDNs.

touchring
19th June 2006, 01:12 AM
Busy with IDN grabbing this year, i only found time to sell the remainder of my ASCII names only recently, but realized that the market has changed significantly since last year.

Domain prices (real market prices, not those published on DNJournal that are predominantly snapname or pool price - for some strange reasons, they command several times of market price), has fallen at least 30-50% from the 4th quarter of last year. PPC backed names seem to be holding up though i think it's now not possible to ask for the 8-10 years earnings now.

There's no mentioning of this DNF or NP or DS, but has anyone felt this? What is the reason for this sudden fall?

Any expert care to comment? Should i just dump my ASCII names at whatever price they could sell, or wait and see?

Olney
19th June 2006, 02:37 AM
I believe most are seeing massive changes but don't really talk about it because it's part of their business.

I would suggest holding on to generic dot coms for your own personal ventures. I only have 3 short dot coms that are universally brandable & not Japan related. These are getting really scarce.

rhys
19th June 2006, 02:45 AM
Perhaps it is oversupply from .eu or absorption of speculative money into IDNs? Wishful thinking?

Giant
19th June 2006, 04:58 AM
The market of Ascii domains is OK and good because Internet is becoming more popular, but I think we will see some changes of Ascii domains:

-Popular keywords Dot Com will be more expensive.
-Popular keywords and terms of other extensions (not COM) will still have values but the rest will have less and less values.
-The more popular IDNs become, more not-good Ascii domains will be junk.

touchring
19th June 2006, 05:06 AM
The market of Ascii domains is OK and good because Internet is becoming more popular, but I think we will see some changes of Ascii domains:

-Popular keywords Dot Com will be more expensive.
-Popular keywords and terms of other extensions (not COM) will still have values but the rest will have less and less values.
-The more popular IDNs become, more not-good Ascii domains will be junk.

Ok, probably you are referring to PPC? "Popular" means having "traffic", or have the potential to have traffic? I suspect this is the trend.

So, in conclusion, it's better to hold on to traffic IDNs than to sell them since they are likely to retain value as seen in the ASCII market??

Looks like the buy cheap strategy that many people are using might not work after all. The cheap will become even cheaper.

E.g. $100 -> $20. And having 100 of those cheap ones means - loss of $8,000.

Rubber Duck
19th June 2006, 04:02 PM
Ok, probably you are referring to PPC? "Popular" means having "traffic", or have the potential to have traffic? I suspect this is the trend.

So, in conclusion, it's better to hold on to traffic IDNs than to sell them since they are likely to retain value as seen in the ASCII market??

Looks like the buy cheap strategy that many people are using might not work after all. The cheap will become even cheaper.

E.g. $100 -> $20. And having 100 of those cheap ones means - loss of $8,000.

You should be seeking out quality, but insisting on value. Cheap was never going to be anyone's panacia.

idn1234
19th June 2006, 04:29 PM
Busy with IDN grabbing this year, i only found time to sell the remainder of my ASCII names only recently, but realized that the market has changed significantly since last year.

I think that good generic .com's will always
grow in value. I have a fair few and yes the
market has changed a great deal for them
since this time last year.

Evidence of that? Well, I was recently foolish
enough to appraise a two-letter .com (z2.com)
on DNF for £1500+ recently. Apparently, I was
way out on valuation, as everyone else was
appraising for $xx,xxx. I did manage to get an
abusive post 'though, saying just how wrong
I was from someone from Latvia so I guess it's
not all bad...

Generic .com's will, I suspect, always be good
but 'bargains' in this area now are extremely
rare...

Rubber Duck
19th June 2006, 04:34 PM
I think that good generic .com's will always
grow in value. I have a fair few and yes the
market has changed a great deal for them
since this time last year.

Evidence of that? Well, I was recently foolish
enough to appraise a two-letter .com (z2.com)
on DNF for £1500+ recently. Apparently, I was
way out on valuation, as everyone else was
appraising for $xx,xxx. I did manage to get an
abusive post 'though, saying just how wrong
I was from someone from Latvia so I guess it's
not all bad...

Generic .com's will, I suspect, always be good
but 'bargains' in this area now are extremely
rare...

ASCII.com, no not for me I am afraid. I think they will in most cases always be more valuable than IDN equivalents, but their upside potential from current prices is much more limited, as much of the expectation has already been factored in.

idn1234
19th June 2006, 04:41 PM
but their upside potential from current prices is much more limited, as much of the expectation has already been factored in.

Agreed. True speculators normally hate
paying full market value, and that is what
you're forced in to paying now with ascii.

IDN is a much more 'unchartered' territory,
and that will mean bargains for those willing
to invest a little time and money.