PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Keyword Registration

murphyz
19th June 2006, 08:34 AM
Hello,

I'm curious as to how Chinese Keyword Registrations work.

Say I registered a Chinese keyword (in English characters) 'MYKEYWORDONE' and had it point to mydomain.com, where (geographically) will I need to enter the keyword? Is it a case of my entering on a machine with a Chinese IP address allow it to resolve to the website mentioned, or do you need a special plug-in for it to work in any browser?

I'm a little confused unless it is the former as to why it is a 'Chinese' keyword.

Many thanks for helping to clear this up.

Mxx

Rubber Duck
19th June 2006, 08:40 AM
Hello,

I'm curious as to how Chinese Keyword Registrations work.

Say I registered a Chinese keyword (in English characters) 'MYKEYWORDONE' and had it point to mydomain.com, where (geographically) will I need to enter the keyword? Is it a case of my entering on a machine with a Chinese IP address allow it to resolve to the website mentioned, or do you need a special plug-in for it to work in any browser?

I'm a little confused unless it is the former as to why it is a 'Chinese' keyword.

Many thanks for helping to clear this up.

Mxx

Keyword services need pluggins. Domains work by the DNS referring all queries of a given extension to the relevant registry. If there is no extension the browser tends to show Search results from a friendly search engine.

The registry on receipt of the query tells the DNS which IP number relates to the domain.

With keywords, a similar thing happens but it needs to By-Pass the DNS and be directed to a Private Web Address, where the site the hands out the relevant IP Number from its own Private Database. This process can only work with the use of a Pluggin, as different services can use the same Keywords in parallel for completely different IPs.

Olney
19th June 2006, 08:48 AM
I think there is a bit of confusion
I'll try to explain what IDN Domains are.

Chinese keywords with English characters ARE NOT IDN Domains.
They are not the focus of this site.

If you are using Windown you might need to install the Multi Language kit (Sorry I forgot what it's called) to enable you to see characters from other languages.

Take my domain

Anime in English there's Anime.com but I own the native Japanese アニメ.com

People in China or Japan are NOT going to naturally type these terms in English letters..
IDN are domains in the native Japanese, Chinese, Russian, etc Characters.

murphyz
19th June 2006, 08:50 AM
Thank you for such a prompt reply.

I did a quick search for a plugin and the one that comes up is for .3721.com, but it seems like many people have problems attempting to uninstall this.

Do you have a preferred plugin to use with Internet Explorer?

Thanks

Mxx

I think there is a bit of confusion
I'll try to explain what IDN Domains are.

Chinese keywords with English characters ARE NOT IDN Domains.
They are not the focus of this site.

Sorry if I am posting in the incorrect place, I did notice this was an IDN forum but thought it would be the best place for me to receive help and so put it in general discussion rather than anywhere else.

My apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Mxx

touchring
19th June 2006, 10:41 AM
I think you are referring to real names? They are now being offered by alibaba.com, so you should check their website for more information.

Rubber Duck
19th June 2006, 10:43 AM
I think you are referring to real names? They are now being offered by alibaba.com, so you should check their website for more information.

Yes, I think they should be done under the Trade Discriptions Act. The last thing these are is Real Names.