PDA

View Full Version : Maxthon: China's hip browser

Drewbert
22nd June 2006, 08:50 PM
http://news.com.com/Maxthon+Chinas+hip+browser/2100-1032_3-6086632.html?tag=nefd.lede

Discuss......

IDNCowboy
22nd June 2006, 09:00 PM
http://news.com.com/Maxthon+Chinas+hip+browser/2100-1032_3-6086632.html?tag=nefd.lede

Discuss......
Still, Maxthon has a grassroots following for other reasons. It includes filters to zap all Web ads, including pop-ups--

This feature sucks as it makes webmasters lose money on visitors.
(Includes banner ads)

IDNCowboy
22nd June 2006, 09:00 PM
Edit

bwhhisc
23rd June 2006, 12:23 AM
QUOTE: So far, about 60 million people have downloaded the browser since its launch, 14 percent of the Chinese Web population has used the browser and 17 percent employs it for Web search. END QUOTE

Those are huge numbers for China with 100 million internet users currently in China. This type of software is going to make internet even more popular, giving users a unique advantage in getting information they want to see and a portal to the outside world.

There was an article here in the forum a month or so ago about proxy servers being used by individuals within China to get past the "great firewall". This to some degree accomplishes the same thing, and the numbers using are staggering...17 million using it for searches in China if you believe their hype.

Nice article find Drewbert.

Drewbert
23rd June 2006, 12:41 AM
The big question - does it handle IDN?

touchring
23rd June 2006, 04:51 AM
I do not think that Maxthon support IDNs, at least the version which i tried sometime ago.

bwhhisc
23rd June 2006, 11:33 PM
I do not think that Maxthon support IDNs, at least the version which i tried sometime ago.

Touchring, if you can still go onto their site can you see if there is has been any update on this. They are already gaining a big market share in China (if you believe their figures) but just maybe they need a 'wakeup' call about idns. They would be ill prepared not to see this coming.