PDA

View Full Version : IE7 Adoption Rate

gammascalper
23rd June 2006, 08:04 PM
Web developer seeks to estimate IE7 adoption rate by comparing it against IE5 to IE6 adoption in 2002.

Snippet:

IE6 registered almost 10% share in its second month.

The average drop in Internet Explorer 5 was 3.42%*.

The average rise in Internet Explorer 6 adoption was 3.98%*.

It took about a year before Internet Explorer 6 overtook version 5 as the main browser.

* per month from Aug-01 to Nov-02

Full article:
http://www.christopherschmitt.com/2006/04/12/adoption-rate-of-internet-explorer-7/

domainstosell
23rd June 2006, 08:14 PM
I was listening to the Clark Howard Show today (he's a talk-radio host who has a consumer advocacy show). He made a big pitch to people to convert from IE6 to Opera or Firefox because of the security. But then he surprised me by saying that if you really want to stick with Internet Explorer, you should download IE7 because of the phishing filters and whatnot. He even has a link to the download on his website.

I know it doesn't mean much in terms of IDN, but at least there is more publicity for IE7 coming on everyday.

thefabfive
23rd June 2006, 08:15 PM
I would expect IE7 to be adopted faster because of the well publicized security flaws in IE6 and the release of Vista early ( :rolleyes: ) next year.

Nice article. Thanks gamma.

gammascalper
23rd June 2006, 08:22 PM
Yeah, agreed with the faster adoption, also due to:

- increased broadband penetration (how many were dissuaded from downloading IE6 because they were still on 56K?)

- autoupdate (confirmed on the IE7 blog)

Assuming some of our markets have an IDN-compatible browser penetration of 1% or less, we're still looking at a minimum 10x increase in traffic in those markets after the 1st month :-)

I was listening to the Clark Howard Show today (he's a talk-radio host who has a consumer advocacy show)...
I know it doesn't mean much in terms of IDN, but at least there is more publicity for IE7 coming on everyday.

Good to hear. He has wide audience I hope!

domainstosell
23rd June 2006, 08:27 PM
Assuming some of our markets have an IDN-compatible browser penetration of 1% or less, we're still looking at a minimum 10x increase in traffic in those markets after the 1st month :-)

Don't get me wrong, I love your enthusiasm, and I really would love to see that. But that seems a bit optimistic to me. Just because the people will have the ability to use IDN type-ins doesn't mean they will immediately begin to...

I think the two biggest challenges ahead are

1. Adoption of IDN-capable browsers
2. Educating the average person that they can use their own language for URLs

I don't think we should get our hopes up too high, as I think traffic and user-adoption will continue to be a gradual increase at first, then will consistantly pick up speed.

Good to hear. He has wide audience I hope!

I think he is nation-wide, but on AM stations as far as I know. But I think he reaches a lot!

thefabfive
23rd June 2006, 08:33 PM
Just because the people will have the ability to use IDN type-ins doesn't mean they will immediately begin to...
I think the fact that we already see some traffic to IDNs means that users are already typing them in. Most of them are just getting error messages because they are using IE6. The few that use Firefox, Opera, or another IDN compatible browser land on our pages.

gammascalper
23rd June 2006, 08:39 PM
I think the fact that we already see some traffic to IDNs means that users are already typing them in. Most of them are just getting error messages because they are using IE6. The few that use Firefox, Opera, or another IDN compatible browser land on our pages.

I guess we'd would have to shave the multiple by accounting for the users who 'upgrade' from FF or Opera to IE7. :eek:

domainstosell
23rd June 2006, 08:42 PM

Oh, yeah, I know, and I'm very happy with the continued increase in traffic I'm seeing. I'm just trying to temper expectations a little, in that it may be a little overly optimistic to expect a 10x traffic increase the first month after the initial release of IE7. I think (and hope) traffic has the potential to increase by 1,000x or more, but all I'm saying is it will take some time.

Explorer
23rd June 2006, 08:43 PM

I think it would be the online business that wakes up first to the IDN and starts adopting it. Watch out for ads with native URLs on google and yahoo the first week after the autoupdate. Once the public eye catches on, we'll see the increase. If 10x multiple happens within a month or 3 months, I don't think it changes our thesis that much. It would be nice though to wake up rich, but it might take some time.

The autoupdate day should be some kind of a holiday for IDNers and I personally will celebrate it year after year after year.

thegenius1
23rd June 2006, 08:47 PM
The autoupdate day should be some kind of a holiday for IDNers and I personally will celebrate it year after year after year.

I agree , Lets Start Brainstorming a Name for it ,
That will be a Glorious Day ! :)

thefabfive
23rd June 2006, 08:47 PM
I guess we'd would have to shave the multiple by accounting for the users who 'upgrade' from FF or Opera to IE7. :eek:
If...IF... anyone were inclined enough to make this switch I think the first "critical security flaw alert" would bring them right back. :)

That is a great idea. National IDN Day... Global IDN Day...

Rubber Duck
23rd June 2006, 09:35 PM
Web developer seeks to estimate IE7 adoption rate by comparing it against IE5 to IE6 adoption in 2002.

Snippet:

IE6 registered almost 10% share in its second month.

The average drop in Internet Explorer 5 was 3.42%*.

The average rise in Internet Explorer 6 adoption was 3.98%*.

It took about a year before Internet Explorer 6 overtook version 5 as the main browser.

* per month from Aug-01 to Nov-02

Full article:
http://www.christopherschmitt.com/2006/04/12/adoption-rate-of-internet-explorer-7/

Yes, but at that time most people would not have been on Automatic Updates. I think most people probably are now, mainly because of the constant security problems posed by IE 6.0.

Yes, sound like serial liver failure to me!

That is a great idea. National IDN Day... Global IDN Day...

Isn't that tortological, or have you been popping the corks already?