PDA

View Full Version : Indian IT review

drbiohealth
25th June 2006, 01:02 PM
Seems like it will just take 3-5 years years before Indic domain pot starts boiling. That's not too bad!

"IT penetration at the back-end of the government and business processes is going to change the Indian scenario in a big way within the next three to five years,” forecasts Dr Ahmad.

http://www.expresscomputeronline.com/20060626/market01.shtml

alpha
25th June 2006, 01:27 PM
5 years in I.T is a lifetime.

That's also another 5 years of Google empire building, maybe by then it won't matter what's behind the dot... who knows

drbiohealth
25th June 2006, 01:57 PM
Do you sincerely mean that we all are speculating from just a 5 yrs point of view ;) . If that were the case the whole domain industry would be collapsing as we speak. On the contrary, domains are booming. IMHO, I don't think that .ext is going anywhere. I can't visualze an alternative here. I might be wrong here though.

You are comparing oranges with apples. "Size" in true terms can't be compared with some "concept". What you mention about Google is the size, while the domain thingy is a concept. Regarding the time-frame, well the programming language C still goes very strong even nearly after 35 years of invention in this fast paced industry.

Cheers!

alpha
25th June 2006, 05:28 PM
Do you sincerely mean that we all are speculating from just a 5 yrs point of view ;) ....

I sincerely hope not, but not having a time machine I don't know for sure, and no one does.

Certain organisations out there just don't like domain names, in fact they are detrimental to their business; an obvious one is Google, if they had things their way, everything on the internet would be found by a search, and domain names would be irrelevant.

Clearly the internet is bigger than just the giant search engines, but like I said 5 years is a long time for them to engineer "solutions" to what they see as a "problem".

I have a substantial collection of Indian names, and they are what I clasify as 'long term', while I have other collections that make up a short and medium term strategy.

This is good news for Indian IDN's, but it still means they are a long term bet, and will complement any portfolio as long as you have other shorter term bases covered.

I would not want to be relying only on a portfolio of mainly Indain names, and sitting waiting for 5 years.

Just IMO :)

drbiohealth
26th June 2006, 01:29 AM
Well, we are talking about different investment styles. For me 5 years is a doable risk if the returns expected are decent. It is commonplace for FIIs, for example, to invest in stocks for 5-10 years. Regarding technology obsolescence, no one knows about it for sure, therefore it is insignificant in our decision making today.

I am invested mainly in Indian IDNs because that's the market I understand and most importantly it is still in the very intial phase. Since Indian domain market is not yet as developed as those of chinese etc, it has allowed me to to pick up some "crème de la crème" domain names. By that I mean something like music, home, phone, mobile, credit card, bank, finance et al. You would appreciate how crucial it is to have a top-class domain. Literally speaking, one top name can sometimes be worth a lot more than 100s of "good" names. However, this does not mean that there is anything wrong in picking up "good" domains in more developed markets, a decision usually driven by one's risk appetite, convenience and plan. From my "limited" knowledge, I can point out only two guys from this forum who have volumes of real topclass domains of developed markets (like chinese). This is simply because both of them entered the scene well before everyone else did. They are Giant and RD. I think no one can complain about the quality of names these two have. Overall the theme is, in order to acquire top-class names of any market one has to connect at a very early stage in the chain of events. All this led me to Indian IDNs, where today I can safely say that most of the hindi IDN creme is already gone. It pays to be contrarion at times. Let's see what happens in future .. :)

IDNCowboy
26th June 2006, 01:46 AM
Well, we are talking about different investment styles. For me 5 years is a doable risk if the returns expected are decent. It is commonplace for FIIs, for example, to invest in stocks for 5-10 years. Regarding technology obsolescence, no one knows about it for sure, therefore it is insignificant in our decision making today.

I am invested mainly in Indian IDNs because that's the market I understand and most importantly it is still in the very intial phase. Since Indian domain market is not yet as developed as those of chinese etc, it has allowed me to to pick up some "crème de la crème" domain names. By that I mean something like music, home, phone, mobile, credit card, bank, finance et al. You would appreciate how crucial it is to have a top-class domain. Literally speaking, one top name can sometimes be worth a lot more than 100s of "good" names. However, this does not mean that there is anything wrong in picking up "good" domains in more developed markets, a decision usually driven by one's risk appetite, convenience and plan. From my "limited" knowledge, I can point out only two guys from this forum who have volumes of real topclass domains of developed markets (like chinese). This is simply because both of them entered the scene well before everyone else did. They are Giant and RD. I think no one can complain about the quality of names these two have. Overall the theme is, in order to acquire top-class names of any market one has to connect at a very early stage in the chain of events. All this led me to Indian IDNs, where today I can safely say that most of the hindi IDN creme is already gone. It pays to be contrarion at times. Let's see what happens in future .. :)
you really do own all those top hindi domains? :(

lucky :P

drbiohealth
26th June 2006, 02:00 AM
Thank you Jeff!

Well, luck aside you have to sometimes think out of the box. Imagine it was just a year ago when almost everyone used to look scornfully at RD wrt "all" IDN domains including chinese/japanese.

Like they say, those who cannot learn from history are forced to repeat it!

a2zofb2b
26th June 2006, 02:02 AM
Rajesh,

The main concern, at least in my mind is the implementation of .IDN extension.
If the .IDN implementation resolves to existing .com then Indic domain (for that matter any IDN names) will take off as soon the implementation is officially announced.

Regarding your Premier domains "music, home, phone, mobile, credit card, bank, finance et al. "
are they all english word written in Hindi? or are they actual words in Hindi.
Some of the domains घर, बैंक are still with laura snow .

Ravi

drbiohealth
26th June 2006, 02:36 AM
Hey Ravi,

Long time!

Well, the IDN implementation issue is universal and beyond our control. My apprehension initial was, by the time .IDN had implemented most of the classy names would have gone. Cmon' regging 1000 IDN is like $7000 which is not that great an amount specially looking at the favorable risk/reward ratio of IDNs. We should know the result of IDN implementation hopefully in a year's time. So, one should be ready to lose such amounts in case of a disaster.

My names are a combination of both translation and transliteration depending on which one was more popular and available. The prime factor in my decision was based on what people in India often spoke and not what was correct grammatically. The terms mentioned above were just for illustration and I do not necessarily have them all.

Look at this, translation of phone in hindi is not at all popular compared to its transliterated form. Same with "car" and "photo". Likewise, nobody knows what translation is for "mobile" and that everyone uses transliterated "mobile" form in hindi. Similarly, there are cases where both forms are popular, for example, "transliterated blog" is equally popular as "translated blog" which you have ;) . Also, "credit card" does not have any known translation in hindi and people simply use the transliterated version. Bottomline, pick up whatever is popular. And if you are a local you would certainly know what is popular. These are some of the names that I own.

Yes, Laura has a hugeee collection of great names. I own the other equally popular version of home, ie, makaan and banking not bank.

You too have some very nice collection of names!

IDNCowboy
26th June 2006, 03:00 AM
Hey Ravi,

Long time!

Well, the IDN implementation issue is universal and beyond our control. My apprehension initial was, by the time .IDN had implemented most of the classy names would have gone. Cmon' regging 1000 IDN is like $7000 which is not that great an amount specially looking at the favorable risk/reward ratio of IDNs. We should know the result of IDN implementation hopefully in a year's time. So, one should be ready to lose such amounts in case of a disaster.

My names are a combination of both translation and transliteration depending on which one was more popular and available. The prime factor in my decision was based on what people in India often spoke and not what was correct grammatically. The terms mentioned above were just for illustration and I do not necessarily have them all.

Look at this, translation of phone in hindi is not at all popular compared to its transliterated form. Same with "car" and "photo". Likewise, nobody knows what translation is for "mobile" and that everyone uses transliterated "mobile" form in hindi. Similarly, there are cases where both forms are popular, for example, "transliterated blog" is equally popular as "translated blog" which you have ;) . Also, "credit card" does not have any known translation in hindi and people simply use the transliterated version. Bottomline, pick up whatever is popular. And if you are a local you would certainly know what is popular. These are some of the names that I own.

You too have some very nice collection of names!
What dictionary shows transliterations instead of translations? :P
I want to check some terms out.

drbiohealth
26th June 2006, 04:54 AM
I am not aware of any "reliable" transliteration tool for hindi yet.