PDA

View Full Version : One for the Gipper

Rubber Duck
12th January 2006, 11:58 AM
I believe that this Forum is in a crucial phase of development at the moment and that a bit of a boost now could change the landscape entirely.

I think if we could all switch the domains we have to this site for three weeks that it would make a huge and lasting difference. Our Alexa Rankings are just short of where they need to be for people to sit up and take notice!

I am prepared to switch in my domains at Domainsite.com which is the majority for three weeks (and maybe the others if feasible). Is there anyone else out there prepared to provide a bit of support!

Try to think of this as a means of bring a better return in the medium term.

To show your support just use Bulk Update to mask forward to www.idnforums.com.
Don't forget your nameservers need to set to the those of your Registrar for the URL forwarding will not work!

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

g
12th January 2006, 12:14 PM
Please hold on until we grab some more nice names ;D

People are shutting up their mouth and are busy grabbing all premium names before the word spread :D

have you grabbed enough names?

dig dig and dig ...there are many more still available

Rubber Duck
12th January 2006, 12:47 PM
Please hold on until we grab some more nice names ;D

People are shutting up their mouth and are busy grabbing all premium names before the word spread :D

have you grabbed enough names?

dig dig and dig ...there are many more still available

Too late, I have just redirected about 2K domains this way!

I have been rattling on about this for about 12 months now, so most people have no excuse to be scrambling for names at this stage.

By increasing the market awareness all the domains become more valuable and there will be far more names with Overture.

Most importantly, however, increasing the profile of IDNs will increase traffic and it will also increase the motivation of paid parking services to get their act together and provide me for one with an income!

Dave

Rubber Duck
12th January 2006, 02:23 PM
I think to show up on the Radar Screen we need to get a Ranking in the top 10K.
If we all chip in here, how difficult can that be?

I think what we need to bear in mind is that by getting the profile of this site up we will increase the traffic to our individual domains, so it should be a win-win scenario!

Dave

Traffic Rank for idnforums.com (what's this)

Today 1 wk. Avg. 3 mos. Avg. 3 mos. Change
13,059 20,642 84,924 up 2,841,393

Reach for idnforums.com: (what's this)

Reach per million users:

35 23.5 7.7 up 7,600%

Page Views for idnforums.com: (what's this)

Page Views per user:

36.0 35.6 15.7 up 423%

IDNCowboy
12th January 2006, 04:00 PM
I think to show up on the Radar Screen we need to get a Ranking in the top 10K.
If we all chip in here, how difficult can that be?

I think what we need to bear in mind is that by getting the profile of this site up we will increase the traffic to our individual domains, so it should be a win-win scenario!

Dave

Traffic Rank for idnforums.com  (what's this)

13,059 20,642           84,924 up 2,841,393

Reach for idnforums.com:   (what's this)

Reach per million users:

35    23.5             7.7                    up 7,600%

Page Views for idnforums.com:   (what's this)

Page Views per user:

36.0   35.6             15.7       up 423%

you won't see 10k "legitimately" unless you get tens of thousands of viewers a day...

of course a domain forum will get up there as everyone uses the alexa toolbar but face it the amount of traffic here does not make it legit. there are not many members.

Rubber Duck
12th January 2006, 04:27 PM
you won't see 10k "legitimately" unless you get tens of thousands of viewers a day...

of course a domain forum will get up there as everyone uses the alexa toolbar but face it the amount of traffic here does not make it legit. there are not many members.

Frankly, how Alexa compile their figures is of little concern to me, as long as they show us in a good light.

I don't use an Alexa Toolbar and checking their site they don't actually do one for Firefix apparently. As most IDNers use Firefox, then the above statement would appear rather dubious.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

sarcle
12th January 2006, 11:14 PM
Alright. I am going to do this in a few minutes. I am also going to point some heavy traffic names to here as well. Get ready for a boost.

IDNCowboy
12th January 2006, 11:41 PM
you won't see 10k "legitimately" unless you get  tens of thousands of viewers a day...

Frankly, how Alexa compile their figures is of little concern to me, as long as they show us in a good light.

I don't use an Alexa Toolbar and checking their site they don't actually do one for Firefix apparently. As most IDNers use Firefox, then the above statement would appear rather dubious.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Dave, maybe once IE 7 gets released and you get tons of typins... of course again this is a domain forum where everyone has a alexa toolbar... check dnforum for some threads on how irrevevant alexa is...

there are not really many members on this message board.... i can name the 10 main ones :)

sarcle
12th January 2006, 11:46 PM
I guess your not really getting the point Jeff. Most of the traffic we are getting on our idns are actual domainers, or people that know how to use punycode, and are looking to register them or see what's on them. Hopefully they will see the site and join.

IDNCowboy
12th January 2006, 11:53 PM
i know what you mean but it doesn't seem like dave grasps that most domainers know alexa is bull for "domain name forums"

Olney
13th January 2006, 12:25 AM
Actually Dave is just using that as the only data available to the public.

We are actually increasing with traffic each day.
I'm using 2 different stats program each saying different things.

But thank you guys I also need to hopefully upgrade the forum this weekend so the site may be down for a few hours.
I strongly recommend you backup important PMs now....

Just incase....

Also thanks guys...

gammascalper
13th January 2006, 12:28 AM
Actually Dave is just using that as the only data available to the public.

We are actually increasing with traffic each day.
I'm using 2 different stats program each saying different things.

But thank you guys I also need to hopefully upgrade the forum this weekend so the site may be down for a few hours.
I strongly recommend you backup important PMs now....

Just incase....

Also thanks guys...

Good stuff Olney -- looking forward to the upgrade

bwhhisc
13th January 2006, 12:46 AM
Olney, on backing up PM's does that mean transfering them to our own hard drives? 

Olney
13th January 2006, 03:12 AM
At least copy & paste important PMs that you might need just in case....

Rubber Duck
13th January 2006, 01:31 PM
I guess your not really getting the point Jeff. Most of the traffic we are getting on our idns are actual domainers, or people that know how to use punycode, and are looking to register them or see what's on them. Hopefully they will see the site and join.

Yes, as ever there are perceptive few that get it without having to have it all explained.

Thanks for your contribution, the Guest numbers seem to be substantially up today, so I think you can probably take a large part of the credit for that.

Any further contributions from other members are of course welcome. Come on lets get the IDN Show on the Road!

Dave

Rubber Duck
13th January 2006, 02:03 PM

Extrapolating this logic a little, many of the people typing in these IDN will hopefully be from the Countries where these domains are ultimately put to use. If only a small number of people from Japan, China, India, Russia and the Arabic Countries visit or even better join our Forum, they will stand to gain a better understanding of the issues and the commercial opportunities and may then well go on to promote IDN further in their home countries.

Dave

idn
13th January 2006, 02:24 PM

Extrapolating this logic a little, many of the people typing in these IDN will hopefully be from the Countries where these domains are ultimately put to use. If only a small number of people from Japan, China, India, Russia and the Arabic Countries visit or even better join our Forum, they will stand to gain a better understanding of the issues and the commercial opportunities and may then well go on to promote IDN further in their home countries.

Dave

but that dreaded language barrier...

Rubber Duck
13th January 2006, 02:29 PM

Dave

but that dreaded language barrier...

Well, I understand what you mean and it is a concern. Nobody, however, has designated this as an English Language site, and as far as I am aware you are welcome to post in a language of your choice.

If any existing member wishes to launch a non-English thread in their own language, I am sure it would be welcomed. Perhaps at some point Olney would have a look at the structure of the site to see if local language debate could be encouraged.

Dave

sarcle
13th January 2006, 03:33 PM
Thanks for your contribution, the Guest numbers seem to be substantially up today, so I think you can probably take a large part of the credit for that.

Any further contributions from other members are of course welcome. Come on lets get the IDN Show on the Road!

Dave

Don't mention it. It's the least I can do right now.