PDA

View Full Version : Japanese City Question

domainstosell
26th June 2006, 07:55 PM
I was searching around today, and I found some Japanese cities that were still available, so I decided to register them. My main question/statement is that I thought most of the Japanese cities were reg'd already. Is it because of population size that these were all available? Can someone give some background? Here are the domains:

清瀬.com – Kiyose
3,506 JP OVT
1.3 Million Google.co.jp

あきる野.com – Akiruno
1,756 JP OVT
234K Google.co.jp

羽村.com – Hamuro
2,219 JP OVT
1.15 Million Google.co.jp

稲城.com – Inagi
2,270 JP OVT
500K Google.co.jp

西多摩 – Nishitama (This one isn't a city; it is a district of Tokyo)
661 JP OVT
678K Google.co.jp

Thanks!

thefabfive
26th June 2006, 08:13 PM
I think as time goes on people's standards drop with regards to IDNs. I was amazed at some of the stuff I passed up when I first started - thinking "Ovt was too low." A month or two later I come to the same term but now thinking "wow, this is still available!."

domainstosell
26th June 2006, 08:22 PM
I think as time goes on people's standards drop with regards to IDNs. I was amazed at some of the stuff I passed up when I first started - thinking "Ovt was too low." A month or two later I come to the same term but now thinking "wow, this is still available!."

Thanks fab, I agree. I was fairly surprised to see these open, but I've gotten a couple of "pleasant surprises" the last couple of days. I'm not complaining! :)

rhys
26th June 2006, 08:23 PM
Truer words were never spoken fabfive. Today I'm virtually running around with beer goggles on compared to several months ago, when I was routinely passing on anything below 100K jp ovt. These days, I look at a lot of other factors for justification but there is no question that most of the domains I buy are far more speculative.

mulligan
26th June 2006, 08:37 PM
It is with mixed feelings I look at my old lists of 'Japanese names to possibly register' -- Some of them are top names and couldnt be had for love nor money now....:o
Nevermind -- I took my share and am quite happy with my lot....:)

Back on topic -- Nice names! Good to see something left out there in the wastelands!

Olney
26th June 2006, 08:44 PM
I'm not actively searching much anymore
I think I'm doing an Edwin
I don't have 2,000
but I have about 600
about 500 good generic jp & coms
I'll officially stop registering in August though it marks one year of searching for IDNs.
I made that decision because I stayed just in the Japanese market. If I keep registering I'd have to certainly go into another language, & you guys are already dominating those.

I think I built up a good enough portfolio (for now).

domainstosell
26th June 2006, 08:54 PM
Back on topic -- Nice names! Good to see something left out there in the wastelands!

Thanks, I was happy to find them, although it does feel like a wasteland out there lately...

I'll officially stop registering in August though it marks one year of searching for IDNs.

Ha, I think I've tried to "officially stop registering" 3 or 4 times now... Then I have a little free time, start searching around, and the next thing I know, I have 5 or 6 more names registered... :)

Of course, your portfolio is also jam-packed with amazing domains...

seamo
26th June 2006, 09:27 PM
We have a saying here in Australia, which is probably repeated in numerous forms the world over -

'One man's trash is another man's treasure'

I got into this game around Feb. of this year, and a lot of generics in Japanese were already taken. Like a few other's, I have had to settle for .net's and second-rate .com's.

Cities with population's of 300,000 and less were largely untouched though, and this is where I have staked most of my IDN investment.

Anyway, the laws of supply/demand show that as our industry expands, and as more ascii domainers diversify into IDN's, so the overall value of our portfolio's go up. Even us guys at the lower end of town should still make a nice return in the years to come (I can only begin to imagine hat RD's, Alpha's, Olney's & Edwin's porfolio's will be worth!).

Good find domaintosell...keep digging.

domainstosell
26th June 2006, 09:48 PM
Thanks Seamo.

I agree, it will be an interesting next couple of months and years as we see more and more ASCII domainers realize what they are missing out on and see the need to evolve.

Threads like this: Spanish Domains Wanted (http://www.dnforum.com/thread161553.html)

still amaze me, as even at this stage of the IDN game, there are good domains to be had either through regs or at a steal on the secondary market, yet people are still buying this type of stuff.

I don't mean to offend anyone if they have posts in that thread I linked to; I'm just linking to it to show a different viewpoint on domains.

Cities with population's of 300,000 and less were largely untouched though, and this is where I have staked most of my IDN investment.

A wise investment as I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that the .jps were blocked for all of those. The .jp's are even gone for Kiyose, Hamuro and Inagi that I got today!