PDA

View Full Version : drbiohealth is gonna be one rich IDN'er

IDNCowboy
27th June 2006, 03:29 AM
This guy's Hindi idns rock..........

Hey drbio you better make some domain conferences at your mansion when you get the funds from hindi sales lol

tee1
27th June 2006, 03:47 AM
Its either DrBioHealth or The Rubber Duck on all the premium Hindi words I can find, not that I can find that many. They seem to be way out in front, RD picked some up in Dec 2005.

tee1

gammascalper
27th June 2006, 03:55 AM
The good doctor has an incredible collection of Hindi domains.

He was everywhere I turned when I finally found that darned dictionary -- and probably behind loads more local terms that I'd never find :)

sarcle
27th June 2006, 04:00 AM
Well if he's reading and selling the sex terms give me a pm DR. :)

thegenius1
27th June 2006, 04:01 AM

He was everywhere I turned when I finally found that darned dictionary -- and probably behind loads more local terms that I'd never find :)

Yeah thats a serious advantage he holds, He cleared up somethings about the domain India.com , apparently there is a written version and a more widely spoken version and thats the one that he owns, He know his stuff

IDNCowboy
27th June 2006, 04:02 AM
Yeah thats a serious advantage he holds, He cleared up somethings about the domain India.com , apparently there is a written version and a more widely spoken version and thats the one that he owns, He know his stuff
heh nothin is left...
Everything is either taken by drbiohealth or this person "Laura Snow"

Also RD and "IDN Company" have a footprint of nice domains in this market.

Giant
27th June 2006, 04:17 AM
That's why he's named Dr.Bio, and why Ducks can do what humans can't.

Laura Snow is also an amazing phenomenon.

IDNCowboy
27th June 2006, 04:22 AM

is Laura snow on this forum lol

Giant
27th June 2006, 04:30 AM
is Laura snow on this forum lol

I think she is. But I'm not sure she's she or she's he.

blastfromthepast
27th June 2006, 05:36 AM

Giant you are an amazing phenomenon yourself. There are a lot of smart guys out there who read Classical Chinese, but few of them have the savvy to also get rich.

Giant
27th June 2006, 07:16 AM
Giant you are an amazing phenomenon yourself. There are a lot of smart guys out there who read Classical Chinese, but few of them have the savvy to also get rich.

"Get rich"? Yes, very tempting. But first, we need to pray that our friends Dr. Twomey and Dr. Cerf are powered by Thedroit and still remember how to put Dname into the root server. If their intelligence is no more than "it's more complicated that you think", "Get rich" will be our dream to keep forever.

Rubber Duck
27th June 2006, 07:24 AM
Its either DrBioHealth or The Rubber Duck on all the premium Hindi words I can find, not that I can find that many. They seem to be way out in front, RD picked some up in Dec 2005.

tee1

May be but most of them date from April 2004

thegenius1
27th June 2006, 07:26 AM
"Get rich"? Yes, very tempting. But first, we need to pray that our friends Dr. Twomey and Dr. Cerf are powered by Thedroit and still remember how to put Dname into the root server. If their intelligence is no more than "it's more complicated that you think", "Get rich" will be our dream to keep forever.

Not to turn this into a DNAME debate , but honestly with Development and Search Engines Still working , Dot COM Will Still Make a Killing no matter how the ball drops IMO

alpha
27th June 2006, 07:33 AM
Not to turn this into a DNAME debate , but honestly with Development and Search Engines Still working , Dot COM Will Still Make a Killing no matter how the ball drops IMO

Killing is not good enough. We want massacre.

Giant
27th June 2006, 07:37 AM

Yes, newly built cars without their seats installed still work, but you just have to tolerate fewer sales.

Rubber Duck
27th June 2006, 07:38 AM
IDN will beat ASCII hands down with or wihout DName. Unless ICANN do something totally against their own interests dot Com will come out on top.

The only caviat as I see it is with right to left languages which are a real mess with IDN.IDN but they still get typed in huge numbers!

thegenius1
27th June 2006, 07:39 AM
Yes, newly built cars without their seats installed still work, but you just have to tolerate fewer sales.

Point Taken , But Dot Com is a Bentley and i would still drive it with no seats :)

idn1234
27th June 2006, 08:05 AM
IDN will beat ASCII hands down with or wihout DName. Unless ICANN do something totally against their own interests dot Com will come out on top.

It is clear that this is what you're hoping
will happen...

;-)

Rubber Duck
27th June 2006, 08:08 AM
It is clear that this is what you're hoping
will happen...

;-)

Just give us IE 7.0 as automatic update and you will see the power of local culture.

IDNCowboy
27th June 2006, 08:14 AM
Just give us IE 7.0 as automatic update and you will see the power of local culture.
People won't be typing idn.com overnight - it might be a few years after IE 7 is released

Giant
27th June 2006, 08:17 AM
People won't be typing idn.com overnight - it might be a few years after IE 7 is released

Sorry, you're wrong Jeff. Try again :)

thegenius1
27th June 2006, 08:18 AM

I see there are just 2 different groups of people , those waiting on Typins , and those that are going to make some killer sites, You make a Killer IDN site they will be typing it in every day and night

Rubber Duck
27th June 2006, 08:20 AM
If you have any domains with "issues" you will know that people are typing in Unicode in huge numbers trying to get to ASCII based sites. Seriously, there isn't going to be a problem!

I see there are just 2 different groups of people , those waiting on Typins , and those that are going to make some killer sites, You make a Killer IDN site they will be typing it in every day and night

I think you need to recognise that the Killer Site will be done by those in touch with local culture. That isn't going to be me, and probably not you either!

idn1234
27th June 2006, 08:47 AM

Well, I just hope that you guys haven't
invested your life savings in idn.com that's
all...

My opinion is that idn.idn is currently being
'tested', through search engine rankings (esp.
in places like Japan) to try and find out whether
it will receive widespread public support; and if
it does I wouldn't want to place much money in
to idn.com as, without DNAME, it will look like a
'dead duck in the water'.

If DNAME does go ahead (and I don't think it will)
then I would say it's only a matter of time before
it is scrapped; and if one major country scraps it,
then it will probably mean that others will too, and
for the same reasons.

Rubber Duck
27th June 2006, 08:54 AM
all...

for the same reasons.

Search engine ranking is something that is primarily in the hands of Google, MSN and Yahoo.

If IDN.IDN is introduced in any meaningful way it will be done by ICANN, which has already launched itself on that trajectory.

DNAME is mechanism, not a set of policies. If they put IDN.IDN directly into the route, that will still have to meet the same set of policy objectives as DNAME.

Countries will not have any say in DNAME apart from what they decide to adopt as their ccTLD Alias. If they opt to keep the two letter codes rather than to use Unicode, all they will achieve is to kill their own ccTLD registery. I hope they don't do that, as I will give myself a Hernia.

alpha
27th June 2006, 09:01 AM
all...

for the same reasons.

If you don't mind me asking, where have you invested then, if not in idn.com and why?

idn1234
27th June 2006, 09:01 AM
Countries will not have any say in DNAME apart from what they decide to adopt as their ccTLD Alias.

Ok, if you say so :-)

idn1234
27th June 2006, 09:05 AM
If you don't mind me asking, where have you invested then, if not in idn.com and why?

Alpha: I'm not a huge advocate of idn.com
and I think that, given recent events, it is
on very shaky ground.

And when I said that idn.idn was being 'tested'
I meant tested by the government (through the
search engines) rather than the s/e companies
themselves taking the initiative.

Rubber Duck
27th June 2006, 09:08 AM
Ok, if you say so :-)

Well that is the case. Because DNAME is essentially a technical matter, it is an ICANN issue, although as Verisign will have to do much of the work on this they will also have a big Input. Country registrars have a big input at a policy and linguistic level, but we are really talking about the internal working of a computer system here. This is not a matter for the United Nations.

idn1234
27th June 2006, 09:13 AM
DNAME is essentially a technical matter

You are right, DNAME is a technical matter, but
a technical matter borne from a policy decision
(that could change at anytime, or not go ahead
at all).

alpha
27th June 2006, 09:14 AM
Alpha: ...and I think that, given recent events, it is
on very shaky ground....

you mean the continual moaning about how the USA "owns" the internet and won't let anyone else play with their ball?

talk about bite that hand that feeds you!! ICANN & Verisign have made the internet what it is today and that includes a stable worldwide platform.

I'm no Yank flag waver, but I know what side my bread is buttered.

touchring
27th June 2006, 09:15 AM
all...

for the same reasons.

I think everyone here knows this issue, and many people are diversifying, investing in ctlds, different languages (some languages can work better with .com), etc.

Overall, those that started early, have gotten themselves enough good generic names (at $7 each) to even out their investment - even if they do not make money in the end.

And since there are still good $7 names, although hard to find, we have not completely gone past this "risk-free period" so to speak.

If you spend more time pondering over the DNAME issue, you are just going to miss out the opportunity altogether.

Anyway, idn.idn is already here, at least for Chinese .cn. So it's not a new end of the world phenomenon. :o

Rubber Duck
27th June 2006, 09:19 AM
Alpha: I'm not a huge advocate of idn.com
and I think that, given recent events, it is
on very shaky ground.

And when I said that idn.idn was being 'tested'
I meant tested by the government (through the
search engines) rather than the s/e companies
themselves taking the initiative.

I am sorry, but does anyone have a clue what he is talking about here?

Perhaps we all invested not knowing something profound and far reaching is going on here?

alpha
27th June 2006, 09:20 AM
.. the ghost of Dabsi returns

idn1234
27th June 2006, 09:27 AM
you mean the continual moaning about how the USA "owns" the internet and won't let anyone else play with their ball?

talk about bite that hand that feeds you!! ICANN & Verisign have made the internet what it is today and that includes a stable worldwide platform.

I'm no Yank flag waver, but I know what side my bread is buttered.

Ok, fair comment, but ICANN and Verisign (oh, lets
not forget '.com' too) stand for American imperialism.
Regardless, of what they say they are going to do,
THAT is the perception and it doesn't sit well with
the wider world...

Discounting arguments about Asian countries and
nationalism, I can not even see a substantial business
reason as to why DNAME should be implemented for idn.

I am sorry, but does anyone have a clue what he is talking about here?

Perhaps we all invested not knowing something profound and far reaching is going on here?

That's ok, I guess any opposing view has to
be ridiculed in order that you may feel good
about your 'investment'.

Rubber Duck
27th June 2006, 09:33 AM
the wider world...

That's ok, I guess any opposing view has to
be ridiculed in order that you may feel good
about your 'investment'.

Interesting perspective.

My comments relating to Government being involved in Search, were purely a matter of total bewilderment. I genuinely don't have a clue what you are talking about, but I suspect neither do you.

alpha
27th June 2006, 09:43 AM
the wider world...

reason as to why DNAME should be implemented for idn....

thats like saying, "I won't type in English because ASCII stands for 'American...' "

I admit I know nothing about how the rest of the world perceive .com etc; but are you sure that you are right in your generalisations of the world ?

I personally would rather have someone running the internet that has proved they can, rather than a load of politicians.

touchring
27th June 2006, 09:46 AM
the wider world...

reason as to why DNAME should be implemented for idn..

I see where you are coming from, but the world is a strange place - there are all sorts of people and stereotypes do not consume the entire marketshare. Even if just 20% of people can accept idn.com, there will still be a value in idn.com. The same reason why good .info generics can be sold for tens of thousands of dolars - hack, the only .info site i can recall is that webhosting.info.

Given a choice of kakaku.com and 価格.com, i think most Japanese will prefer 価格.com. Half of it in native language is still better than the whole thing in romaji - the .com is easier to remember as it is universally recognized.

Important issues to consider:

1). Switching key is one step more but not impossible task - besides Firefox allows typing of .com without switching key.
2). Recall value and brandability is important - 価格.com is still easier to recall than kakaku.com - otherwise why would kakaku.com use 価格.com even though they do not own that IDN!
3). 20% of $100,000 is still $20,000 - worth more than $7 investment.
4). .com is easier to remember as it is universally recognized.

blastfromthepast
27th June 2006, 09:51 AM

This kind of whining has more currency among rich France intellectuals, who really have never suffered anything from America anyways, other than getting pissed off at at a few McDonalds being built in their home town.

You don't understand how Asian countries work. Countries like Japan don't whine about American imperialism. They take real steps towards making themselves rich, and then take real steps at getting things done to suit their needs, preferably behind the scenes.

Don't discount them. IDNs were made primarily for Asian countries. China is the driving force behing IDNs being implemented and is one of the few governments that is actively promoting IDNs.

You don't see .EU promoting IDNs? Why? They haven't even gotten up to speed with IDN.EU, although many European langauges need IDNs!

touchring
27th June 2006, 09:56 AM
This kind of whining has more currency among rich France intellectuals, who really have never suffered anything from America anyways, other than getting pissed off at at a few McDonalds being built in their home town.

You don't understand how Asian countries work. Countries like Japan don't whine about American imperialism. They take real steps towards making themselves rich, and then take real steps at getting things done to suit their needs, preferably behind the scenes.

Don't discount them. IDNs were made primarily for Asian countries. China is the driving force behing IDNs being implemented and is one of the few governments that is actively promoting IDNs.

You don't see .EU promoting IDNs? Why? They haven't even gotten up to speed with IDN.EU, although many European langauges need IDNs!

Talking about IDN.EU, when are they going to launch it?

idn1234
27th June 2006, 10:01 AM
I personally would rather have someone running the internet that has proved they can, rather than a load of politicians.

...and so would I, but now (for various reasons)
I think ICANN are reading "very high" on the "it's
time for you to cede control to other nations as
well" gauge and I think that idn will provide much
fodder for that in the next 6/12 months.

I'm not saying idn.com will become worthless, but
in my book it's going to get a 'good hiding' with idn
and it's not going to turn in to an idn.com 'utopia' as
some of you here think it will.

As I say, just my opinion... and remember, when I
suggest an opposing view i'm not attacking you
personally; I don't actually know any of you, and
what you've chosen to buy is your business and I
hope you all make some money.

:-)

blastfromthepast
27th June 2006, 10:08 AM

Explain what you think will happend.

touchring
27th June 2006, 10:09 AM

It's nice to have a contrarian view - all of us here are in some degrees thinking in your direction. Many of us in IDNs are actually newbies looking initially for a way to make some money in domains.

We have looked into .uk, .info, .us, and we have also looked into ascii.com - but no way are we going to spend $30,000 in something like offroadtires.com.

IDNs are not perfectly risk-free, but with the kind of publicity that is to come and the traffic that many of us have witnessed, they are a much safer bet than .ctds, or the over priced ascii.coms.

Rubber Duck
27th June 2006, 10:10 AM

You have remarkable ability to confuse issues.

ICANN internally has ceded much of the decision making process to representatives from the ccTLD registries and other bodies that represent a wider range of issues.

ICANN is regulated by the US Government. ICANN has no control over its own status. Only the US Government can cede that control.

idn1234
27th June 2006, 10:19 AM
You have remarkable ability to confuse issues.

I've not confused anything here.

ICANN are a wholly US entity, and I was talking
about who controls ICANN itself, not the countries
it has consulted on IDN.

Continued derogatory remarks from you are fine,
but please try and keep up with the thread.

Thanks

Rubber Duck
27th June 2006, 10:29 AM
I've not confused anything here.

ICANN are a wholly US entity, and I was talking
about who controls ICANN itself, not the countries
it has consulted on IDN.

Continued derogatory remarks from you are fine,
but please try and keep up with the thread.

Thanks

If you refer back, my comments derive from total confusion as to where your contribution to this thread is coming from.

idn1234
27th June 2006, 10:33 AM
If you refer back, my comments derive from total confusion as to where your contribution to this thread is coming from.

I don't understand you, are you not able to
read the comments (or contribution) I have
made to this thread?

blastfromthepast
27th June 2006, 10:40 AM
I don't understand you, are you not able to
read the comments (or contribution) I have
made to this thread?

Hey, while you were arguing, we were regging Swiss Watches. ;) Once in a lifetime chance to get a luxury product domain at reg fee.

alpha
27th June 2006, 10:41 AM
Hey, while you were arguing, we were regging Swiss Watches. ;) Once in a lifetime chance to get a luxury product domain at reg fee.

you might have been, I took the conterfeit ones. :p

idn1234
27th June 2006, 10:50 AM

Damn. Was it a valuable idn.com? :-) Only kidding.
Good luck with the name, and i'm sure you'll be able
to 'time' your exit with this one...

blastfromthepast
27th June 2006, 10:53 AM
Damn. Was it a valuable idn.com? :-) Only kidding.
Good luck with the name, and i'm sure you'll be able
to 'time' your exit with this one...

There is no exit with this one.

Something tells me that like AV, COM and JP have entered the Japanese language in Latin and .IDN won't matter.

27th June 2006, 11:19 AM
When will assumptions be over in regards to DNAME? is it a matter of days? (After ICANN ends the Marrakesh Couscous eating / Conference? or more like months from now?

I got this answer from the israeli internet association:

Hello Moshe,

We very much in favor of the IDN idea.

Unfortunately, the IDN standard in its current status has some
fundamental problems when it comes to bi-directional Domain Names (ie,
names that include both Hebrew labels and Latin ones - for example
שלום.pl). The main problem is ambiguity of domain names.

We are following on developments in this area (these days ICANN is
conducting an experiment on IDN TLDs) -- Domain Names in Hebrew will be
supported only when the standard will be complete.

Sincerely,

Registry Administrator
ISOC-IL

Rubber Duck
27th June 2006, 11:29 AM
When will assumptions be over in regards to DNAME? is it a matter of days? (After ICANN ends the Marrakesh Couscous eating / Conference? or more like months from now?

I got this answer from the israeli internet association:

Hello Moshe,

We very much in favor of the IDN idea.

We are following on developments in this area (these days ICANN is
conducting an experiment on IDN TLDs) -- Domain Names in Hebrew will be
supported only when the standard will be complete.

Sincerely,

Registry Administrator
ISOC-IL

Yes, as previously stated, NDI.NDI has far greater significance for right to left languages.

blastfromthepast
27th June 2006, 05:43 PM

What's the problem? LTR domains render correctly.

Rubber Duck
27th June 2006, 05:49 PM
What's the problem? LTR domains render correctly.

I don't think that is a problem with rendering, but the change of text direction causes chaos. To the Arabic eye the first level comes before the second level and is written backwards.

Giant
27th June 2006, 06:52 PM
IDN is a done deal, there's nothing need to worry about it. The names we regged are in the registry just like any other domain names.

I used a car to give an example for Dname previously. IDN.IDN is like installing seats for the car, it's not the fundamental part of IDN, but it can make people feel more comfortable when using IDN.

Dname or not Dname is only the esthetical part of IDN, it will not affect IDN in any way, but will only improve its popularity.

Rubber Duck
27th June 2006, 07:12 PM
IDN is a done deal, there's nothing need to worry about it. The names we regged are in the registry just like any other domain names.

I used a car to give an example for Dname previously. IDN.IDN is like installing seats for the car, it's not the fundamental part of IDN, but it can make people feel more comfortable when using IDN.

Dname or not Dname is only the esthetical part of IDN, it will not affect IDN in any way, but will only improve its popularity.

Yes, except with Arabic, the pedals are at the front and the stearing wheel is at the back.

Giant
27th June 2006, 07:16 PM
Yes, except with Arabic, the pedals are at the front and the stearing wheel is at the back.

Then do something to it, there's no need to cry or panic like idn1234 did.

bramiozo
27th June 2006, 07:17 PM
The outcome of the ICANN-test will determine whether the idn's we hold are going to exist beside the "real" idn.idn or if they're going to exist ás the "real" idn.idn, this is not just esthetical imo.

27th June 2006, 07:19 PM
IMO,

DNAME will make more then a significant diffrence, from my understanding if dname doesnt take place all that idn's will be good for is the ppc they will recieve once ie7becomes massive, but i dont see a company that will advertise offline or even online with an idn if not 100% same languange...if dname does take place...then its a diffrent story for a diffrent day..im affraid to think about it :)

thegenius1
27th June 2006, 07:21 PM
Just a Recap that should help some worried people Sleep Better at Night

MVP of the Thread : Touchring

Important issues to consider:

1). Switching key is one step more but not impossible task - besides Firefox allows typing of .com without switching key.
2). Recall value and brandability is important - 価格.com is still easier to recall than kakaku.com - otherwise why would kakaku.com use 価格.com even though they do not own that IDN!
3). 20% of $100,000 is still $20,000 - worth more than $7 investment.
4). .com is easier to remember as it is universally recognized.

We have looked into .uk, .info, .us, and we have also looked into ascii.com - but no way are we going to spend $30,000 in something like offroadtires.com.

IDNs are not perfectly risk-free, but with the kind of publicity that is to come and the traffic that many of us have witnessed, they are a much safer bet than .ctds, or the over priced ascii.coms.

There is no exit with this one.

Something tells me that like AV, COM and JP have entered the Japanese language in Latin and .IDN won't matter.

Explorer
27th June 2006, 07:23 PM
The outcome of the ICANN-test will determine whether the idn's we hold are going to exist beside the "real" idn.idn or if they're going to exist ás the "real" idn.idn, this is not just esthetical imo.

The outcome of ICANN test will not determine the fate of IDNs. They are here to stay. DNAME or not, música.com's value will not decline, for example. DNAME will help, but is not required for IDNs to be worth as much (if not more) as ASCII domains.

thefabfive
27th June 2006, 07:30 PM
And even if the unthinkable happens (NS-space), I would put my money on the genuine .com rather than 20 or so .com wannabees. Most of the world probably would not be aware of these wannabees' existence for years anyway.

bramiozo
27th June 2006, 07:31 PM
Sure, but it will much reduce the value of the non-roman idn's we have in favor of the idn.idn names, that's just a logical outcome is it not ?

Giant
27th June 2006, 07:35 PM
IMO,

DNAME will make more then a significant diffrence, from my understanding if dname doesnt take place all that idn's will be good for is the ppc they will recieve once ie7becomes massive, but i dont see a company that will advertise offline or even online with an idn if not 100% same languange...if dname does take place...then its a diffrent story for a diffrent day..im affraid to think about it :)

Yes, humans are always looking for perfection. That's good!

As long as there's such demand for quality products, they will have the products ready for you. All you need to do is get your payment ready.

Explorer
27th June 2006, 07:37 PM
Sure, but it will much reduce the value of the non-roman idn's we have in favor of the idn.idn names, that's just a logical outcome is it not ?

Not sure what you mean by "much reduce". You still make the best ROI than any other investments you could think of.

bramiozo
27th June 2006, 07:40 PM
And even if the unthinkable happens (NS-space), I would put my money on the genuine .com rather than 20 or so .com wannabees. Most of the world probably would not be aware of these wannabees' existence for years anyway.

Depends on the amount of promotion idn.idn will get, it forms the finalization of idn so it should get a lot of coverage.

Not sure what you mean by "much reduce". You still make the best ROI than any other investments you could think of.

True, but the speculative value would be strongly reduced.

I agree that's is nothing to worry about but you can hardly say it doesn't matter.

Giant
27th June 2006, 07:50 PM
If we think Dname is good, and ICANN thinks so too, it's good. If ICANN thinks the other way is better, we should be happy too, because they are the technical people, they know what is best for us. I don't see why we have to cry and panic.

thefabfive
27th June 2006, 07:53 PM
I guess I just see more future hurdles for IDN.IDN using NS-Space than I do for IDN.IDN using DNAME. The complexity of the NS-space solution would make the system nearly unmanageable.

But it wouldn't the first time policymakers tried to shove a square peg in a round hole. :)

blastfromthepast
27th June 2006, 08:00 PM
The complexity of the NS-space solution would make the system nearly unmanageable.

With NS, there will be much more to argue about, and it will be delayed for many years as new ".IDN" extentions are deployed and the governance issues are worked out.

From what I understand, NS will be available to argue about, while DNAME will also be implemented at the same time.

Giant
27th June 2006, 08:03 PM
With NS, there will be much more to argue about, and it will be delayed for many years as new ".IDN" extentions are deployed and the governance issues are worked out.

From what I understand, NS will be available to argue about, while DNAME will also be implemented at the same time.

Exactly what I see.

blastfromthepast
27th June 2006, 08:06 PM
I've actully heard from Japanese people that .JP looks cooler than .日本

.JP = known domaining "suffix", associated with domain names and the internet. 2 keystrokes to type.
.日本 = the name of the country, nothing specificly internet or domaining about it. Many keystrokes + KANJI SELECTOR key to type.

Today, it looks like .COM is sometimes rendered as コム, while .JP never is? Can anyone confirm this?

Olney
27th June 2006, 08:16 PM
I can talk about things from the Japanese standpoint & truthfully they don't need IDN.IDN They just need IDN.SOMETHING

I don't know about other countries but people who write in Japanese know it's easy to just type jp especially because you don't even have to change the encode.

you just type ホテル検索。jp & it resolves to the correct address.

I've actully heard from Japanese people that .JP looks cooler than .日本

.JP = known domaining "suffix", associated with domain names and the internet. 2 keystrokes to type.
.日本 = the name of the country, nothing specificly internet or domaining about it. Many keystrokes + KANJI SELECTOR key to type.

blastfromthepast
27th June 2006, 08:22 PM
I can talk about things from the Japanese standpoint & truthfully they don't need IDN.IDN They just need IDN.SOMETHING

I don't know about other countries but people who write in Japanese know it's easy to just type jp especially because you don't even have to change the encode.

Exactly. Put that in bold. IDN.jp does not depend on any DNAME implementation.

Giant
27th June 2006, 08:27 PM

This is the best conclusion the whole world has spent so much time for.

thegenius1
27th June 2006, 08:31 PM

Actually Put it in Bold that it is not needed for Com or JP or Net or TV ect.

27th June 2006, 08:38 PM
If someone can clear this up please:

1. IF they go with ns record = our domains will have a "twin brother"?
Example: Existing idn ячсми.com / new ns record idn.idn ячсми.ком?

2. IF they choose to map/use equivalents then what happens to our regged idn domains?

3. is it technically possible for them to go with dname as a "temporary solution" while taking 2-3-4 years to start these ns record names?

4. Is there a time frame anyone knows of that by that time we will know the decision?

Thank you!
Michael

P.S Genius , ホテル検索。com works for me and even הכרויות。net works also (not that it helps...but this "special" dot resolves to a regular dot in all languages it appears)

blastfromthepast
27th June 2006, 08:55 PM
Actually Put it in Bold that it is not needed for Com or JP or Net or TV ect.

JP is always written as JP. TV is always written as TV.

COM can be written as コム in Japanese. I wouldn't put it in bold yet.

thegenius1
27th June 2006, 09:00 PM
JP is always written as JP. TV is always written as TV.

COM can be written as コム in Japanese. I wouldn't put it in bold yet.

But there is a major BUT , Dot Com has been classified as the Most Popular ext. in Japan From many people i have talken to , So im confident that .COM looks better and is " more Cool " than コム

What i was saying was that they all resolve with the japanese dot not just JP

.COM = known domaining "suffix", associated with domain names and the internet. 3 keystrokes to type.

Today, it looks like .COM is sometimes rendered as コム, while .JP never is? Can anyone confirm this?

Sometimes cant take away from the Power of .COM

gammascalper
27th June 2006, 09:04 PM

That's right. Neither does .com or any other ASCII extension.

To type ホテル検索。jp, you type hoteru[spacebar][switch to hiragana]kensaku[spacebar].jp

To type ホテル検索。日本, you type 4 MORE keystrokes to get the native extension:

hoteru[spacebar][switch to hiragana]kensaku[spacebar].nihon[spacebar]

blastfromthepast
27th June 2006, 09:05 PM
But there is a major BUT , Dot Com has been classified as the Most Popular ext. in Japan From many people i have talken to , So im confident that .COM looks better and is " more Cool " than コム

If .コム resolved to something else, besides existing .com IDNs, you would be screwed, as I'd bet a good number of people would type コム and not .com. And typing コム is just one keystroke more than .com

Also コム is KOMU, which I think is more cute than .COM

Sometimes cant take away from the Power of .COM

Sometimes means you don't put it in bold. But wait for the outcome.

With .jp there is no choice. With .com there is.

thegenius1
27th June 2006, 09:09 PM
Also コム is KOMU, which I think is more cute than .COM

Everybody is entilted to there opinion but i dont see something that is sometimy and " cuter " overpowering the massive .COMZILLA

blastfromthepast
27th June 2006, 09:22 PM
Everybody is entilted to there opinion but i dont see something that is sometimy and " cuter " overpowering the massive .COMZILLA

Cuteness is one of the driving forces of Japanese marketing.

YAHOO JAPAN 日本語のページのみ
"コム" で検索した結果 1~10件目 / 約26,800,000件

There is no opinion about it, コム is used today. .JP is always written .JP.

thegenius1
27th June 2006, 09:32 PM
Cuteness is one of the driving forces of Japanese marketing.

YAHOO JAPAN 日本語のページのみ
"コム" で検索した結果 1~10件目 / 約26,800,000件

There is no opinion about it, コム is used today. .JP is always written .JP.

I agree with you 100% about the marketing and cutness very true statement to my knowledge. But i just find it hard to see it overpowring COMZILLA thats all

".com" で検索した結果 1~10件目 / 約9,720,000,000

drbiohealth
28th June 2006, 12:25 PM
Amazingly, she is still active regging IDNs. I came across her name often in quite a few recently regged Hindi names.

I think she is. But I'm not sure she's she or she's he.

Domain conference is not a bad idea. However, the time I guess is not ripe. Let's wait for the outcome of IDN.IDN ~ IDN.COM.

This guy's Hindi idns rock..........

Hey drbio you better make some domain conferences at your mansion when you get the funds from hindi sales lol

RD has some priceless pearls with him.

tee1

Yeah, India is a big market for that .. ;)

Well if he's reading and selling the sex terms give me a pm DR. :)

Rubber Duck
7th October 2007, 01:25 PM

tee1

Actually the 2005 Regs were when I cracked the Microsoft Glossaries, I think. What a mixed bag of typo errors they turned out to be!