PDA

View Full Version : Yup so I totally have given up ascii...

IDNCowboy
13th January 2006, 01:56 AM
why buy expensive .com's when nice names in other languages are available for $6.95 a pop? :P

bwhhisc
13th January 2006, 02:25 AM
My understanding is that it is better to pay the extra $1.00 per year (to $7.95), which gives you E-mail Forwarding, URL Forwarding, Domain Parking, Under Construction Page , etc. I think if you add that later its a good bit more expensive.

IDNCowboy
13th January 2006, 02:34 AM
true heh

touchring
13th January 2006, 02:47 AM
why buy expensive .com's when nice names in other languages are available for $6.95 a pop? :P

Yes, but many are only worth that $6.95.

IDNCowboy
13th January 2006, 03:20 AM
I'm talking about popular words... and keywords ;)

touchring
13th January 2006, 03:35 AM
I'm talking about popular words... and keywords ;)

Yes, i'm also talking about keywords.  The domain market in Asia is very different from the USA or Europe.  Most Asians do not believe that domains are worth more than reg fee, regardless of how generic.  Especially so in places like China, people can't see a value in anything that doesn't have a physical existence.  Wealth in most East Asian countries is based on home/buildings/land - anything that has a physical existence. This might change, but it will take many years.

Nonetheless, very top keywords like loans, creditcards, real estate, home, software, stocks/shares, names of major cities, etc, are still worth some money, and worth keeping.

bwhhisc
13th January 2006, 03:45 AM
What are your guidelines for deciding how to register in terms of basic reg @ $6.95, vs. standard @ $ 7.95.

touchring
13th January 2006, 03:50 AM
What are your guidelines for deciding how to register in terms of basic reg @  $6.95, vs. standard @ $ 7.95.

I was registering the $7.95 for more than 150 domains, until i realized that $1 difference is a big sum for the combined lot, and now i'm disciplining myself to select the 1st radio button (sometimes i forget) when paying.

$7.95 and $6.95 doesn't makes a difference if you are using Sedo? Or am i mistakened?

IDNCowboy
13th January 2006, 03:55 AM
I'd say my regs are pretty much in the realm of everyone else's here...... from what i've seen they are mostly keywords.

touchring
13th January 2006, 04:12 AM
We're all registering keywords, but the question is - who is going to buy our keywords?  Are the Japanese going to buy? 

Everyone is putting up their keywords for sale, but where do the buyers come from - how many Japanese buy and sell domains on DNF - i only know of 1 - the guy that owns um.com, and his buyers are mostly Westerners.

The only keywords that are guaranteed to worth some money are city and country names - which people are willing to buy for patriotic reasons.  And many East Asians, especially Koreans are fiercely patriotic.

gammascalper
13th January 2006, 04:21 AM
I'd say my regs are pretty much in the realm of everyone else's here...... from what i've seen they are mostly keywords.

Yep.

I know my domains will have at a minimum, the present value of their expected return. Distressed sales notwithstanding.

I would be thrilled if monkeys.com brought in 1,000,000 page views a month at 20% CTR and 0.1 CPC. I couldn't care less what kind of keyword it is.

There's been alot of emphasis on high bids. What's really important is expected return.

With CTR being equal, would you rather have a 10mm page views at $0.1 or 10,000 page views at $20?

touchring
13th January 2006, 04:29 AM
Ok, i've not factored in PPC, but i do not see great PPC returns, unless you have a keyword like Shanghai.com or Tokyo.com. 

If one is going for PPC, one should spend time registering the "accent" version of major spanish/french/german sites - and get 100 times return in terms of PPC for the same amount of time spent.

IDNCowboy
13th January 2006, 04:36 AM
Ok, i've not factored in PPC, but i do not see great PPC returns, unless you have a keyword like Shanghai.com or Tokyo.com. 

If one is going for PPC, one should spend time registering the "accent" version of major spanish/french/german sites - and get 100 times return in terms of PPC for the same amount of time spent.

the owners of the spanish names w/o accents (that got them before they knew about IDN) will probably go to icann and complain about spanish IDN as it will make their domains worthless.

touchring
13th January 2006, 04:41 AM

the owners of the spanish names w/o accents (that got them before they knew about IDN) will probably go to icann and complain about spanish IDN as it will make their domains worthless.

Well, those that are using generic keywords won't be able to do so.  Anyway, do people really care?  I just saw mysspace.com being sold for $4000??? It's insane.

gammascalper
13th January 2006, 04:42 AM

Well, those that are using generic keywords won't be able to do so. Anyway, do people really care? I just saw mysspace.com being sold for $4000???

Amazing. There's supposedly a good affiliate program to sell through to, but I'm out-of-the-loop.

IDNCowboy
13th January 2006, 04:43 AM
i'd care if someone registered a spanish idn variation of a popular dictionary spanish word that had an accent that you were holding onto for years.................

Rubber Duck
13th January 2006, 07:27 AM
My understanding is that it is better to pay the extra $1.00 per year (to $7.95), which gives you E-mail Forwarding, URL Forwarding, Domain Parking, Under Construction Page , etc. I think if you add that later its a good bit more expensive.

There are a few options and points here.

The extra money is only of any value if you are URL forwarding instead of pointing nameservers. The support we are trying to give the site is only possible because we have that facility.

I regged all mine on basic but when you come to upgrade there is nothing doing so you end up doing the whole amount in second year.

Transfers into and from other registrars are cheaper. I transferred 500 to Directi last year under $6.50 as I went for a top level reseller account. I can now transfer them back into Domainsite at $6.99 and get the full functionality.

Domainsite do have a reseller scheme. Its a bit crude but basically if you wire them money in large amounts ( I think more than $1000 at a time) they will credit about an extra 10% or so to your account.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon