PDA

View Full Version : Risky?

Explorer
13th January 2006, 10:00 AM
So, let’s assume we register or buy those Spanish/French/German IDNs, invest in them, develop them, promote them.  The owners of the previous versions (without accents) will realize their domain values are decreasing in price with an alarming speed, taking in less and less traffic.  I don’t think they will sit idly and wait.  They will put up a huge fight and put in a lot of resources into it.  What can they legally do? Are we risking losing those IDNs?  What are our options?  Any thoughts?

IDNCowboy
13th January 2006, 04:17 PM
Yup this is what i stated in my last thread and it seems ppl on this forum didn't care about the guys w/o the accents heh

sarcle
13th January 2006, 04:24 PM
Technically, the people without the accents are the one's holding the typo's.

gammascalper
13th January 2006, 04:31 PM
So, let’s assume we register or buy those Spanish/French/German IDNs, invest in them, develop them, promote them. The owners of the previous versions (without accents) will realize their domain values are decreasing in price with an alarming speed, taking in less and less traffic. I don’t think they will sit idly and wait. They will put up a huge fight and put in a lot of resources into it. What can they legally do? Are we risking losing those IDNs? What are our options? Any thoughts?

If you're concentrating on a few names and developing them, this probably won't apply, but I would suggest diversifying within the IDN space: european, asian, ccTLD, gTLD...

The potential returns may be so outsized as to dwarf 90% of IDN going to pot.

Technically, the people without the accents are the one's holding the typo's.

I hadn't thought of that. Anyone know if there's a precedent for that in a UDRP ruling?

touchring
13th January 2006, 04:38 PM
If you are holding onto a dictionary or generic idn and do not go round selling it, i do not see a reason why the non-accent fellow can take your domain.

IDNCowboy
13th January 2006, 04:49 PM
If you are holding onto a dictionary or generic idn and do not go round selling it, i do not see a reason why the non-accent fellow can take your domain.

because of common use the original owner didn't know about IDN and you see a few spanish domains without accent being marked as sold on dnjournal...

they don't want the typos... i'm sure just like all of us want their names to be the ones of the most value.

Explorer
13th January 2006, 05:19 PM
Thanks for your comments. The issue could become huge when IE7 is up and running. So, this is something we need to keep in mind and research in more details.

IDNCowboy
13th January 2006, 05:42 PM
just reg the good chinese/japananese ones that are left first and you should be fine :) as long as they aren't TM'ed