PDA

View Full Version : So you think Russia is an ureformed Cold War Economy?

Rubber Duck
30th June 2006, 11:28 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/5129662.stm

blastfromthepast
30th June 2006, 11:32 AM
Looking good for рубли.com.

Rubber Duck
30th June 2006, 11:35 AM
Looking good for рубли.com.

Well will a non-convertible Rouble is wasn't worth jack sh*t. Now you are Golden as long as they don't go for a change of name as well!

alpha
30th June 2006, 11:40 AM
damn.

the value of yours goes up, and my долг.com goes down

edit: never mind, i found this рубли.net at the bottom of the sack.

phew!

touchring
30th June 2006, 12:16 PM
My impression is that Russia reformed too quickly, resulting in massive theft of state wealth, creation of a ridulous number of billionaires in comparison to the size of the economy and these people are desperate sending money out of the country, benefiting other countries, in particular, the UK. :o And now, the Russian economy is primarily sustained by oil exports and other natural resources which it has in abundance.

Rubber Duck
30th June 2006, 12:30 PM
My impression is that Russia reformed too quickly, resulting in massive theft of state wealth, creation of a ridulous number of billionaires in comparison to the size of the economy and these people are desperate sending money out of the country, benefiting other countries, in particular, the UK. :o And now, the Russian economy is primarily sustained by oil exports and other natural resources which it has in abundance.

That might well be the case. It would seem that Russia is succeeding inspite of the quality of its economic governance, rather than because of it. This would suggest that things can only get better! Yes Russia has one of the greatest endowments of natural resouces anywhere in the world. Those resources are much more at a premium in the Modern World than Skilled Workforces, or even Professional Services. I would think that Russian oriented investment, has to be a sure fire winner in the medium term. Stating otherwise is a bit like predicting the demise of Saudi Arabia, due to a lack of good husbandry.

Clotho
30th June 2006, 12:50 PM
I tried typing рубли into a couple different dictionaries and they all returned not found. When I type in ruble I get рубль. What is the difference between рубли and рубль? Which one is prefered? They both seem to have similar Yandex scores as far as I can tell.

Explorer
30th June 2006, 12:54 PM
I tried typing рубли into a couple different dictionaries and they all returned not found. When I type in ruble I get рубль. What is the difference between рубли and рубль? Which one is prefered? They both seem to have similar Yandex scores as far as I can tell.

рубли - plural
рубль - singular

blastfromthepast
30th June 2006, 12:55 PM
рубли means Roubles
рубль means Rouble

I prefer рубли, the more the better.

Rubber Duck
30th June 2006, 12:57 PM
рубли - plural
рубль - singular

My Russian must be improving. I actually got that without reference to a dictionary!

alpha
30th June 2006, 12:59 PM
My Russian must be improving. I actually got that without reference to a dictionary!

i thought the "bl" that is actually a single letter in Russian makes it plural?

oh well whatever, i got lucky this time.

Clotho
30th June 2006, 01:02 PM
Thanks! Learning about the different languages is half the fun. This is pretty basic stuff but I wouldn't have known if I didn't ask.

Rubber Duck
30th June 2006, 01:04 PM

oh well whatever, i got lucky this time.

I think it depends on gender what endings you get to make the plural. Yes you are right about the "double" character. I think that might be used on masculine nouns?

blastfromthepast
30th June 2006, 01:05 PM

Ы is actually made up of Ъ and I and was written separately a long time ago as ЪІ. I is equivalent to И.

I is no longer used in Russian, but remains only as part of the letter Ы.

Ъ is a sign of depalatization and also separates the preceding consonant from combining with the vowel that follows it.

Ы is therefore a depalatized variant of И.

Rubber Duck
30th June 2006, 01:07 PM
Ы is actually made up of Ъ and I. I is equivalent to И.

I think I will quit while I am ahead! LOL

alpha
30th June 2006, 01:08 PM
Ы is actually made up of Ъ and I. I is equivalent to И.

ok. :confused:

We laugh and we joke about Dynamite regging, but I have to say this is the only language that I have used crates of the stuff.

After my first regging run in Russian, I got it all validated by a native, and found 25% was junk due to this male female noun, not a noun, a plural noun, a female noun in male dress etc..

I don't mean to poke fun, but it really is confusing, and Dynamite or Russian Language lessons are the only cure if you want to end up with a few good names.

Rubber Duck
30th June 2006, 01:14 PM
ok. :confused:

We laugh and we joke about Dynamite regging, but I have to say this is the only language that I have used crates of the stuff.

After my first regging run in Russian, I got it all validated by a native, and found 25% was junk due to this male female noun, not a noun, a plural noun, a female noun in male dress etc..

I don't mean to poke fun, but it really is confusing, and Dynamite or Russian Language lessons are the only cure if you want to end up with a few good names.

Russian is not unique in this respect. In many ways it is English that is the oddity as apart from from the third person singular we have dropped all persons, cases and gender agreements. Russian, follows to a large degree similar rules to Latin.

alpha
30th June 2006, 01:19 PM
Russian is not unique in this respect. In many ways it is English that is the oddity as apart from from the third person singular we have dropped all persons, cases and gender agreements. Russian, follows to a large degree similar rules to Latin.

oh believe me, I would rather be English battling away at Russian, than be Russian scratching my head over English..

.. but the trouble is that I am English, and I know English, but I haven't got the foggiest about Russian.

and to make matters worse - what the deal with that Russian Yandex OVT tool. It shows me words that are "invalid" in the sense that I have been told they are junk, yet a zillion people type them in... apprarently.

.. it think the results that are shown cannot simply be what is being searched on, as everyone of them would make a good domain name. And i can't have been the first person to see a word on there with a big number, reg it and find out its "invalid". luckily I learnt this lesson soon fairly quickly.

Explorer
30th June 2006, 01:19 PM
What I can't understand is why Russian IDNs have the best type-in traffic by far. Will the leadership continue after the IE7 is out?

blastfromthepast
30th June 2006, 01:24 PM

Exactly. Plus there are special ending that make words sound cute, rude, and so on. So there is a huge number of possible registrations.

Rubber Duck
30th June 2006, 01:24 PM
What I can't understand is why Russian IDNs have the best type-in traffic by far. Will the leadership continue after the IE7 is out?

Well, it is reasonable but I don't think it is significantly out of line with other languages. I think you probably need to make some adjustment for the strength of your portfolio in this area. It certainly converts well and was ahead in the PPC stakes, but has recently been humbled by Japanese, which comes in with some very big clicks.

blastfromthepast
30th June 2006, 01:26 PM
and to make matters worse - what the deal with that Russian Yandex OVT tool. It shows me words that are "invalid" in the sense that I have been told they are junk, yet a zillion people type them in... apprarently.

They aren't invalid. They are simply parts of phrases that Yandex picks apart, and often they make no sense as stand alone names of something.

Rubber Duck
30th June 2006, 01:28 PM
Exactly. Plus there are special ending that make words sound cute, rude, and so on. So there is a huge number of possible registrations.

Yes, the Czechs have a similar system of putting diminuitive endings on words to get that sort of affectionate tone.

alpha
30th June 2006, 01:29 PM
They aren't invalid. They are simply parts of phrases that Yandex picks apart, and often they make no sense as stand alone names of something.

ok, bad terminology on my behalf.

by Invalid I mean, as you say "make no sense" as a domain name, and therefore to me invalid.

but why does the Yandex tool do that - it should carry a health warning for domainers :p

How many newbies will treat it like they do as Japanese OVT for example - theres no "picking it apart done here".

it makes no sense. not the language. I mean the Yandex tool.

Explorer
30th June 2006, 01:30 PM
Well, it is reasonable but I don't think it is significantly out of line with other languages. I think you probably need to make some adjustment for the strength of your portfolio in this area. It certainly converts well and was ahead in the PPC stakes, but has recently been humbled by Japanese, which comes in with some very big clicks.

If .ru folks decide not to play IDN game or they change to .рф (Russian Federation) due to .ru's (ру) similarity to Paraguay's py, then Russian IDN type-in traffic will be >90% .com (.ком). In Japan, for example, IDN type-in traffic will probably be shared (equally more or less?) by .com and .jp. Something to think about.

blastfromthepast
30th June 2006, 01:33 PM
ok, bad terminology on my behalf.

by Invalid I mean, as you say "make no sense" as a domain name, and therefore to me invalid.

but why does the Yandex tool do that - it should carry a health warning for domainers :p

How many newbies will treat it like they do as Japanese OVT for example - theres no "picking it apart done here".

it makes no sense. not the language. I mean the Yandex tool.

Your terminology is fine. Pretty much invalid as a domain name, yes.

Yandex was made for native speakers, and it makes good sense to me.

It just wasn't made to normalize words into standard dictionary form, the kind that you guys want for domains.

Rubber Duck
30th June 2006, 01:36 PM
If .ru folks decide not to play IDN game or they change to .рф (Russian Federation) due to .ru's (ру) similarity to Paraguay's py, then Russian IDN type-in traffic will be >90% .com (.ком). In Japan, for example, IDN type-in traffic will probably be shared (equally more or less?) by .com and .jp. Something to think about.

Yes, as I see it dot com is set to sweep the board in Russia unless something unexpected happens. I am pretty bullish about dot globally, but the lack of coordinated opposition with Russian and Arabic would tend to suggest the that dot com is going to swallow everything in its path.