PDA

View Full Version : Drops = weird??

seamo
30th June 2006, 01:38 PM
I thought I'd start a thread to get feedback on some odd IDN drop behaviour lately...

Firstly, I had backordered with pool.com a huge generic Chinese IDN that dropped 2 weeks ago...(some of you guys here will know exactly which one I mean).

Why hasn't it finally 'dropped' yet, and the auction begun to own it? It should have been available weeks ago!

I have also been watching a Japanese .com city that dropped at nearly the same time, 350,000 pop and a fairly nice IDN city to own (by my estimates).

It has appeared as available when trying to reg it for the last two weeks, but behaves like it is blocked??

I thought IDN.jp cities were only blocked??

Japanese government trying to grab back some IDN territory??

What do you guys think..?

Explorer
30th June 2006, 01:42 PM
Not sure if pool is in the drop game for IDNs yet. From what I can see, there is one company in Oregon that sweeps all IDN drops. Maybe someone else can comment more.

Rubber Duck
30th June 2006, 01:43 PM
I thought I'd start a thread to get feedback on some odd IDN drop behaviour lately...

Firstly, I had backordered with pool.com a huge generic Chinese IDN that dropped 2 weeks ago...(some of you guys here will know exactly which one I mean).

Why hasn't it finally 'dropped' yet, and the auction begun to own it? It should have been available weeks ago!

I have also been watching a Japanese .com city that dropped at nearly the same time, 350,000 pop and a fairly nice IDN city to own (by my estimates).

It has appeared as available when trying to reg it for the last two weeks, but behaves like it is blocked??

I thought IDN.jp cities were only blocked??

Japanese government trying to grab back some IDN territory??

What do you guys think..?

Could be there is some clash with Simplified Chinese or even Traditional, and you have hit the block. Domains drops but cannot be reissued.

seamo
30th June 2006, 01:50 PM
Could be there is some clash with Simplified Chinese or even Traditional, and you have hit the block. Domains drops but cannot be reissued.
Yes, quite possible, except it is the same term in Traditional & Simplified??

The Jp city.com should not be behaving like this though...

If it appears as 'free', it should be free, yes? It has appeared as available for the last two weeks, an yet prior to the drop date it was definately 'taken'

I am about to try and register it again and see if this has changed yet...

Rubber Duck
30th June 2006, 01:54 PM
Yes, quite possible, except it is the same term in Traditional & Simplified??

The Jp city.com should not be behaving like this though...

If it appears as 'free', it should be free, yes? It has appeared as available for the last two weeks, an yet prior to the drop date it was definately 'taken'

I am about to try and register it again and see if this has changed yet...

Japanese Kanji can be affected by the block in just the same way the Simplified and Traditional are. Japanese Kanji can also interfer with the other two, even when it doesn't have the same Unicode Point as the Traditional Chinese.

alpha
30th June 2006, 01:59 PM
Reading the notes from the Icann meeting, it sounds like they have been fine-tuning and topping up the character block rules.. so since it was first registered, it's possible that the rules have changed, and therefore it is in now invalid whereas before it wasn't.

Rubber Duck
30th June 2006, 02:04 PM
Reading the notes from the Icann meeting, it sounds like they have been fine-tuning and topping up the character block rules.. so since it was first registered, it's possible that the rules have changed, and therefore it is in now invalid whereas before it wasn't.

There probably were no Variant Blocking Rules implemented back then and besides the name that is now blocking you probably wasn't even registered at the time the targe name was!

mulligan
30th June 2006, 02:12 PM
I know the name you are talking about and it doest translate to anything in Chinese in its entirety, though if broken down into seperate characteres it does translate.
Reason> Im guessing that its coz the first character is traditional, second is simplified and the third is simplified... Thats a guess, not for definite

seamo
30th June 2006, 02:13 PM
Well, here we go fellas. I'll thought I'd post the ones I can't reg (I just tried these)...

岡崎市.com 'Okazaki city' (this is the one I have been trying to reg for weeks)

浜松.com 'Hamamatsu' (city without the '市' of course...seems to be a recent drop)

Does this mean Japanese city names may have just jumped in value?? :o

Rubber Duck
30th June 2006, 02:21 PM
Well, here we go fellas. I'll thought I'd post the ones I can't reg (I just tried these)...

岡崎市.com 'Okazaki city' (this is the one I have been trying to reg for weeks)

浜松.com 'Hamamatsu' (city without the '市' of course...seems to be a recent drop)

Does this mean Japanese city names may have just jumped in value?? :o

This is shown as being registered 冈崎市. This would block the first one. Why anyone would have registered this I am not sure, but they have!

I have no explanation for the second one.

seamo
30th June 2006, 02:35 PM
This is shown as being registered 冈崎市. This would block the first one. Why anyone would have registered this I am not sure, but they have!

Yeah - what a waste!

Well, in the interests of the IDN comunity, I have just shown that at least some JP cities are stil regible, and taken 大府市.net 'Obu city'

Still no explanation for 浜松.com though...

seamo
30th June 2006, 02:59 PM
I just had the *huge* Chinese generic verified as taken (thanks Alpha).

It was 人.com in case anyone here wants to have a cry along with me!

(people.com in Chinese...person.com in Japanese)

Probably 'those two guys from Oregon' again...:mad:

Rubber Duck
30th June 2006, 03:06 PM
I just had the *huge* Chinese generic verified as taken (thanks Alpha).

It was 人.com in case anyone here wants to have a cry along with me!

(people.com in Chinese...person.com in Japanese)

Probably 'those two guys from Oregon' again...:mad:

That is Iconic.

We have the dot net, but of course that doesn't come close.

Giant
30th June 2006, 04:48 PM
Still no explanation for 浜松.com though...

浜松: Simplified Chinese (same variant with 滨松)
濱松: Traditional Chinese

濱松.com was taken.
Expiration Date: 2009-05-05
Creation Date: 2003-05-05

seamo
30th June 2006, 04:55 PM
Ok - I might be sounding a bit dumb here - is the name for this Japanese city written in using Simple Chinese?

Giant
30th June 2006, 04:59 PM
Ok - I might be sounding a bit dumb here - is the name for this Japanese city written in using Simple Chinese?

No, this is not a dumb question.

Japan uses 浜, not the other variants.

seamo
30th June 2006, 05:03 PM
No, this is not a dumb question.

Japan uses 浜, not the other variants.
Thanks Giant - that explains it.

It looks like the case of the weird drops is solved!