PDA

View Full Version : Google.com & Google.co.jp Different Results

imported_admin
17th September 2005, 03:17 PM
I just searched for the keywords 高校野球 (High School Baseball in Japanese)
First I searched on Google.com the default google most English speakers will use

The results:
3 Listings total of possible 6 listings
I found this strange so I went to Google Japan

If I look on Google.co.jp Google Japan
2,600,000 listings.

The reason I tried this way because according to OVTjp (Overture Japan)
2,692,164 高校野球

High school baseball had over almost 2.7 million searches in August

If I didn't speak Japanese & looked at Google.com I would assume that I was looking at the wrong term & probably not purchase the domain even if it was free to register.

This just goes to show that if you can use Google, or Yahoo, or even MSN in the lamguage of the IDN you purchased to see the truest results.
& just in case we already own the .com

Things like this really would confuse the Domain buyer/seller market because Google is supposed to pick up everything on the net. I think it does. It just doesn't display unnecessary things to people.

Rubber Duck
17th September 2005, 04:55 PM
That is interesting and I have verified your findings. However, it does not seem to be happening to other Japanese IDN domains.

It would seem you are being selected for special treatment here!

Have you hosted a website in Japan? Could it be because Google has indexed a URL that is hosted in Japan that it has somehow taken the Japanese results out from the Global Results?

I don't know the answer. But this appears to be significant. If we can just figure out what the right question is?

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

imported_admin
17th September 2005, 08:42 PM
Yeah this is select but it has nothing to do with our buying of this URL.
Yahoo changes listings because of popular terms.
Popular terms tend to get redirected to their internal directory first.

Google wouldn't wipe away 5 million listing because we bought a popular term.
Actually we noticed this before we bought the domain, but I forgot which URL did happened to.

Unfortunately this does happen to more than just this term.

That's why it's better to use Google.co.jp for Japanese terms.

donwebcorleone
29th January 2006, 10:31 AM
i think is amzing how good u are to pick it up such great domains but i guess the fact that u know japanese and u live in japan is a plus to realize how important is high school baseball and when is the highschool season in Japan. congrats! that IDN rocks!

I just searched for the keywords 高校野球 (High School Baseball in Japanese)
First I searched on Google.com the default google most English speakers will use

The results:
3 Listings total of possible 6 listings
I found this strange so I went to Google Japan
If I look on Google.co.jp Google Japan
2,600,000 listings.
The reason I tried this way because according to OVTjp (Overture Japan)
2,692,164 高校野球
High school baseball had over almost 2.7 million searches in August
Things like this really would confuse the Domain buyer/seller market because Google is supposed to pick up everything on the net. I think it does. It just doesn't display unnecessary things to people.

Olney
29th January 2006, 11:14 AM
Actually I was still stuck in the states when I started the site.
I wasn't in Tokyo for about 2 years.
We really got through a lot of misconceptions in the beginning....

kenne
29th January 2006, 04:06 PM
I suspect that in this case, google is thinking your search was in Chinese instead of japanese...

If you go to google advanced search, restrict the language to japanese language, u'd probably get a more reasonable results