PDA

View Full Version : China Reports 2.4 Bln Webpages

mulligan
3rd July 2006, 03:09 PM
China reports a total of 694,000 websites, over 20% being individual's. The number of domain names surged 40 percent to reach 2,592,000, according to a report on China's Internet information and resources 2005 published by the State Council Informatization Office on Tuesday.

The webpage number soared 269% to reach 2.4 billion in 2005. Each website has 3,748 pages on average. 18.6% of websites locate in Beijing, 16.6% in Guangdong and 9.7% in Zhejiang.

Company websites account for 60.4% of the total number; then comes individual's website, which account for 21.9%; educational and scientific research websites account for 5.1 %.

There are about 150,000 individual's websites in China, which mainly offer BBS (43.5%), download of music, novels and images (35.7%), and academic discussion (24.9%) and online transaction (11.9%).

44.2% of people build their websites "out of interest and with the attempt to do something they like"; 31.4% do it to "communicate with the world outside, and offer their references for others"; 16.2% take the websites as "foundation for their business" and 6.1% for "needs of work".

Not all websites enjoy high page views. Daily page view averages below 50 in 39.6% of websites. The rate is as high as 51.5% for company's websites, indicating the websites are not functioning very well.

Updating deserves webmasters' attention too. Only 17.62% of websites are updated within one week. By contrast, 18.58% are updated once over six months.

Most websites are run by teams with less than ten people.

(People's Daily May 18, 2006)

According to a report on China's Internet information and resources published by the State Council Informatization Office on Tuesday, . cn domain name registration ranks the sixth in the world.

By Dec 31, 2005, China registered 2.6 million domain names, a year-on-year increase of 40 percent. Among them there are 1.1 million .cn domain names, representing an increase of 154 percent, making .cn the largest top-level domain name in Asia.

(People's Daily May 18, 2006)

bwhhisc
3rd July 2006, 03:47 PM
With all the discussion about "content- content-content" and "it's time to develop websites" seems that just maybe there already an abundance of content and websites just waiting for their "new" IDN addresses. I'll bet Japan, Russia etc. has some equally interesting stats on their own size scale.

Not saying that development of websites a bit of development from all IDNers wouldn't hurt. Website templates, affiliate programs, and the good strides made by Namedrive are a good sign.

Looks like a business opportunity in the making to match existing (ascii) url website owners with their ideas for IDNs.

Rubber Duck
3rd July 2006, 04:05 PM
With all the discussion about "content- content-content" and "it's time to develop websites" seems that just maybe there already an abundance of content and websites just waiting for their "new" IDN addresses. I'll bet Japan, Russia etc. has some equally interesting stats on their own size scale.

Not saying that development of websites a bit of development from all IDNers wouldn't hurt. Website templates, affiliate programs, and the good strides made by Namedrive are a good sign.

Looks like a business opportunity in the making to match existing (ascii) url website owners with their ideas for IDNs.

Frankly the argument that some little bit of development of sites primarily set up to monetize traffic is going to make an impact on the big picture is absurd. Take the example of Touchring's earlier. The site is in English for gods sake. No one that that is not completely in tune with local culture is going to create a HOT Site as Genius might put it. But mercifully there is no need for that to happen.

As pointed out above, there is a huge amount of Chinese content. Seeing it is only a while back that Google were boasting having Indexed 5 Billion items globally, then 2.4 Billion Web Pages seems like a lot to me.

All it is going to need is for the owners of existing website to understand that it is now the moment to migrate to IDN, then the amount of content of IDN domains will suddenly explode. It won't take more than about 10 minutes after the release of IE 7.0 for most intelligent people to realise that moment is imminent. OK, there may be a slight delay as IE 7.0 needs to roll out, but once this starts to happen the atmosphere is going to be electric and you can expect near panic to set in as site owners realize that if they want Search Ranking or Type-In then they need to get with the plot and they need to do it soon.

Once it get out into the general populus that the new hip and trendy websites have all gone IDN, then ASCII will start to look like yesterdays lunch. Pretty unappetizing.

Is this Hype? No, this sensible analysis. Anyone who sees it differently can have their craniums used as a sighting device, because there will be nothing but clear space between the ears.

Giant
3rd July 2006, 04:08 PM

Chinese websites need IDN desperately. I guess less than 20% of 2.4 Bln webpages are with domain names that make sense to humans.

touchring
3rd July 2006, 04:11 PM
Frankly the argument that some little bit of development of sites primarily set up to monetize traffic is going to make an impact on the big picture is absurd. Take the example of Touchring's earlier. The site is in English for gods sake. No one that that is not completely in tune with local culture is going to create a HOT Site as Genius might put it. But mercifully there is no need for that to happen.

As pointed out above, there is a huge amount of Chinese content. Seeing it is only a while back that Google were boasting having Indexed 5 Billion items globally, then 2.4 Billion Web Pages seems like a lot to me.

All it is going to need is for the owners of existing website to understand that it is now the moment to migrate to IDN, then the amount of content of IDN domains will suddenly explode. It won't take more than about 10 minutes after the release of IE 7.0 for most intelligent people to realise that moment is imminent. OK, there may be a slight delay as IE 7.0 needs to roll out, but once this starts to happen the atmosphere is going to be electric and you can expect near panic to set in as site owners realize that if they want Search Ranking or Type-In then they need to get with the plot and they need to do it soon.

Once it get out into the general populus that the new hip and trendy websites have all gone IDN, then ASCII will start to look like yesterdays lunch. Pretty unappetizing.

Is this Hype? No, this sensible analysis. Anyone who sees it differently can have their craniums used as a sighting device, because there will be nothing but clear space between the ears.

Pls, i've already stopped talking about it, but when can you stop? Do i need to send you Rubber Doll of myself so that you can practice dart throwing? It's better to take things easy in life - for health goodness sake, domains do not represent everything.

Silverclick presents an English parking page if you are visiting it from outside China. And yes, that includes gambling ads.

Rubber Duck
3rd July 2006, 04:12 PM
Chinese websites need IDN desperately. I guess less than 20% of 2.4 Bln webpages are with domain names that make sense to humans.

Well that may not be strictly true, but those that understand the domain, won't be able to make head or tail of anything else that is on the page.

Pls, i've already stopped talking about it, but when can you stop? Do i need to send you Rubber doll of myself so that you can practice dart throwing?

Silverclick presents an English parking page if you are visiting it from outside China. And yes, that includes gambling ads.

That was a Silver Clicks Page, I was looking at? My apologies. I thought it was set up for Adsense. I most humbly apologise.

bwhhisc
3rd July 2006, 05:04 PM

Are you seeing any revenue on Chinese idns from Silverclicks/ Dopa?

touchring
3rd July 2006, 05:14 PM
Are you seeing any revenue on Chinese idns from Silverclicks/ Dopa?

Yes, i earned ¥280 last month on about 100 names. I think it's a drop from previous mth. It's small money, but it can help you identify which names can earn you more traffic, so you can finetune your registrations.