PDA

View Full Version : Russian help/clarification please

domainstosell
5th July 2006, 06:02 PM
Hello,

I was just searching around, and I found this free, so I reg'd it:

телефона.com

I get a translation of "Telephone" or "The Telephone". It shows 1,554,204 Wordstat results, and over 32 Million Ya.ru results, as well as 29 Million Google.ru results, with 89,000 Google Images of phones.

Is this an accurate translation? This has got to be too good to be true. The .net seems to have been registered in February of this year, but they didn't take the .com (which seems odd). Can someone please help me understand what I have here?

Thanks!

mulligan
5th July 2006, 06:09 PM
телефоны is what is getting the wordstat rather than телефона and though they both get trends HERE (http://www.google.com/trends?q=%D1%82%D0%B5%D0%BB%D0%B5%D1%84%D0%BE%D0%BD%D1%8B%2C+%D1%82%D0%B5%D0%BB%D0%B5%D1%84%D0%BE%D0%BD%D0%B0) the latter gets higher -- It means nothing though as I cant get Russian right and have loads of wrong words in my account

Explorer
5th July 2006, 06:11 PM
телефон is telephone
телефоны is telephones
телефона is "of telephone" or "telephone's"

domainstosell
5th July 2006, 06:15 PM
телефоны is what is getting the wordstat rather than телефона and though they both get trends HERE (http://www.google.com/trends?q=%D1%82%D0%B5%D0%BB%D0%B5%D1%84%D0%BE%D0%BD%D1%8B%2C+%D1%82%D0%B5%D0%BB%D0%B5%D1%84%D0%BE%D0%BD%D0%B0) the latter gets higher

Thanks Mulligan. Since телефоны is "telephones" and the Google Trends aren't outrageously different, does this help confirm what I have is "telephone"? Also, with the Wordstat, don't singular and plural terms (for the most part) have the same Wordstat value? Or how does that work? I am just a little confused, because, like I said before, it seems too good to be true that I would stumble onto a premium term at this point, but I am trying to figure out exactly what I have here...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

телефон is telephone
телефоны is telephones

Ah, ok. Thanks Explorer! So I am in the same realm as the "films" term that was being debated earlier...

Would this have value for SEO or subdomains? Or is it basically worthless? It does get some OK Google trends...

Rubber Duck
5th July 2006, 06:16 PM
телефон is telephone
телефоны is telephones

Thanks, I think most of this understand that it is possessive but are still not quite sure how it would be used, would it turn up in say?

Telephone Bill
Telephone Pole
Telephone Directory

If not what uses would it normally be put to ?

Explorer
5th July 2006, 06:19 PM
Thanks, I think most of this understand that it is possessive but are still not quite sure how it would be used, would it turn up in say?

Telephone Bill
Telephone Pole
Telephone Directory

If not what uses would it normally be put to ?

Yes, it could be used for sub-domaining.

Telephone.Melody or мелодия.телефона

Telephone.Number or номер.телефона

Telephone.Purchase or покупка.телефона

Telephone.Repair or ремонт.телефона

mulligan
5th July 2006, 06:20 PM
Taking these as examples would it be mostly correct to say words ending in ы are plural and words ending in а are posessive?

Though I have a feeling it is nowhere as simple as that...

телефон is telephone
телефоны is telephones

domainstosell
5th July 2006, 06:23 PM
Yes, it could be used for sub-domaining.

Telephone.Melody or мелодия.телефона

Telephone.Number or номер.телефона

Sweet, so it seems like a decent term after all. Anyone want to speculate as to why the .net was gone and the .com still available? I've seen this happen before, but almost exclusively (in my experience) in Chinese and some Japanese...

Thanks again Explorer, your expertise is greatly appreciated!

Explorer
5th July 2006, 06:25 PM
Taking these as examples would it be mostly correct to say words ending in ы are plural and words ending in а are posessive?

Though I have a feeling it is nowhere as simple as that...

телефон is telephone
телефоны is telephones

You are right. It's not as simple as that. Sometimes it's ы, sometimes it's и, sometimes it's а.

Rubber Duck
5th July 2006, 06:36 PM
Sweet, so it seems like a decent term after all. Anyone want to speculate as to why the .net was gone and the .com still available? I've seen this happen before, but almost exclusively (in my experience) in Chinese and some Japanese...

Thanks again Explorer, your expertise is greatly appreciated!

Dot com get regged first, so it drops first. No great mystery.

domainstosell
5th July 2006, 09:08 PM
Dot com get regged first, so it drops first. No great mystery.

Yeah, but it didn't appear to be a drop. The .net was created on Feb. 27, 2006...

mulligan
5th July 2006, 09:15 PM
It was a drop, almost 100% guaranteed

thefabfive
5th July 2006, 09:30 PM
Should we wait to get blast's input... :)

kidding, kidding

alpha
5th July 2006, 09:31 PM
Should we wait to get blast's input... :)

kidding, kidding

:p